Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

infernal machines posted:

as a person? almost certainly

at running apple? only into the ground

at both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i never used game center before so i opened it and...

shaggar was right :stare:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shifty Pony posted:

i never used game center before so i opened it and...

shaggar was right :stare:

You get to set a username, but your real name and email is on your profile and it can't be made private. Also you can't stop apps from accessing it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stux posted:

use a better password

the only way i could make my password better is to make it even longer

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

You get to set a username, but your real name and email is on your profile and it can't be made private. Also you can't stop apps from accessing it.

why wouldn't you want the best phone in the world running the best software in the world accessing your real name and showing the world that you play the best games on the best phone?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Smythe posted:

9001 impotent mentally ill YOSPOSters standing squat in defense of their favorite AIDS infected operating system. 188 of pages of FAIL

please stop kink shaming. bug chasing a legitimate fetish.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
apple music still sucks rear end. when i favorite a song it doesnt show up anywhere unless i download it and have it in my library so what is the point of favoriting anything if i can't go back and listen to it later?
also the recently played feature doesn't include any songs listened to via streaming, you ahve to download songs and play them from your library to have them show up

playlists on my phone and my pc are completely different and don't carry over
'my music' on my phone and pc are comlpetely different and don't carry over

this software is real bad. im glad that they are spending all their money trying to support their stock price by taking on massive debt to fund buybacks and dividends instead of giving a poo poo about the products

they also need better menus than 'for you' and 'new' since the way the navigation works you end up playing an album in one of those tabs most of the time it would be nice not to have to go like 10 menus deep to get to an album

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Dislike button posted:

apple music still sucks rear end. when i favorite a song it doesnt show up anywhere unless i download it and have it in my library so what is the point of favoriting anything if i can't go back and listen to it later?

it's to modify the algo that chooses what the 'for you' provides. still dumb that you can't see it though

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

DaNzA posted:

lol @ the sheeples paying almost $300 extra for a small bit more flash memory in their idevice

but you can upgrade it for few bucks + labor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGb5AOwp44

that kinda owns

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dislike button posted:

works perfect for me. are they even signed into the same account you cretin

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

works perfect for me. are they even signed into the same account you cretin

oh look this broken record again

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

The software is bad.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you dont like to hear it then dont post flatly untrue comments about great apple products

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

google music is superior

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apple makes some of the worst paid software ever

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

been listening to itunes / apple music all day, works for me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THC posted:

if you dont like to hear it then dont post flatly untrue comments about great apple products

The software is extremely bad.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Nobody cares what works for you. The software is bad.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i love apple and both of these things are bad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i click the music and it plays! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

THC posted:

basically we've got Reality up against a couple of crybaby "journalists" with grey beards trying to drum up a story, a notorious pro-ms gimmick poster and a serial embellisher of any anti-apple smear he can find anywhere (and some he wove himself from whole cloth)

forgot to mention a non-user of apple products who swans in to cheerlead the aforementioned

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Dislike button posted:

also the recently played feature doesn't include any songs listened to via streaming, you ahve to download songs and play them from your library to have them show up

this software is real bad. im glad that they are spending all their money trying to support their stock price by taking on massive debt to fund buybacks and dividends instead of giving a poo poo about the products

they also need better menus than 'for you' and 'new' since the way the navigation works you end up playing an album in one of those tabs most of the time it would be nice not to have to go like 10 menus deep to get to an album

works for me with no issues OP sounds like you're loving idiot dumb and bad and should maybe use something more suiting your needs for example a garbage bag or tire fire.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Another barrage of absolutely brilliant posts from The Defenders of the Orchard. Brandishing their white noise weapons these dimwitted dudes will bore even the most stalwart of foes to tears.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i love apple products but yeah, itunes and apple music is garbage

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

i love apple products but yeah, itunes and apple music is garbage

you don't need to preface criticism of software with "i love x, but" like you're talking about an abusive or mentally ill family member

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
even if stebe gave exceptionally good handjobs (which he didn't) he's not gonna rise from the dead to give thc or cremnob a reacharound

so i'm not really sure what the gently caress is going on here

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Dislike button posted:

oh look this broken record again

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/05/error-53-home-button-iphone-brick/

Freelance photographer Antonio Olmos is one such affected iPhone 6 user who had his iPhone repaired in Macedonia while working. He said "it worked perfectly" after the repair shop finished fixing the broken screen and home button, but once he updated to iOS 9 he got an "error 53" message and could no longer access any of his personal content on the iPhone. An Apple Store in London was shown the issue, and staff there admitted there was nothing they could do for him besides sell him a new iPhone.

iphone_6_hands
“The whole thing is extraordinary. How can a company deliberately make their own products useless with an upgrade and not warn their own customers about it? Outside of the big industrialized nations, Apple stores are few and far between, and damaged phones can only be brought back to life by small third-party repairers," Olmos said. "I am not even sure these third-party outfits even know this is a potential problem."
Speaking with The Guardian, iFixit's Kyle Wiens said that the issue, while still unclear, appears to be Apple ensuring only genuine components are being used for repairs. Once a third party changes the home button or internal cable, the iPhone checks to be sure that all original components are running the phone, and if there are any discrepancies users face the "error 53" message and can't access their data. Since mentions of "error 53" span a few versions of iOS, it's unclear specifically which software update began the phone-locking error message.

An Apple spokeswoman commented on the issue, referring to protective security features intended to prevent "malicious" third-party components from potentially compromising a user's iPhone as the main reason for the "error 53" message.
“We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.”

She adds: “When an iPhone is serviced by an unauthorized repair provider, faulty screens or other invalid components that affect the touch ID sensor could cause the check to fail if the pairing cannot be validated. With a subsequent update or restore, additional security checks result in an ‘error 53’ being displayed … If a customer encounters an unrecoverable error 53, we recommend contacting Apple support.”
Other than that, Apple hasn't commented on the issue or outlined exactly what the company can do for those affected by the iPhone bricking error message. Mentions of "error 53" have been around since at least last April, where some users have encountered the issue in software updates as early as iOS 8.3.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

theultimo posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/05/error-53-home-button-iphone-brick/

Freelance photographer Antonio Olmos is one such affected iPhone 6 user who had his iPhone repaired in Macedonia while working. He said "it worked perfectly" after the repair shop finished fixing the broken screen and home button, but once he updated to iOS 9 he got an "error 53" message and could no longer access any of his personal content on the iPhone. An Apple Store in London was shown the issue, and staff there admitted there was nothing they could do for him besides sell him a new iPhone.

iphone_6_hands
“The whole thing is extraordinary. How can a company deliberately make their own products useless with an upgrade and not warn their own customers about it? Outside of the big industrialized nations, Apple stores are few and far between, and damaged phones can only be brought back to life by small third-party repairers," Olmos said. "I am not even sure these third-party outfits even know this is a potential problem."
Speaking with The Guardian, iFixit's Kyle Wiens said that the issue, while still unclear, appears to be Apple ensuring only genuine components are being used for repairs. Once a third party changes the home button or internal cable, the iPhone checks to be sure that all original components are running the phone, and if there are any discrepancies users face the "error 53" message and can't access their data. Since mentions of "error 53" span a few versions of iOS, it's unclear specifically which software update began the phone-locking error message.

An Apple spokeswoman commented on the issue, referring to protective security features intended to prevent "malicious" third-party components from potentially compromising a user's iPhone as the main reason for the "error 53" message.
“We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.”

She adds: “When an iPhone is serviced by an unauthorized repair provider, faulty screens or other invalid components that affect the touch ID sensor could cause the check to fail if the pairing cannot be validated. With a subsequent update or restore, additional security checks result in an ‘error 53’ being displayed … If a customer encounters an unrecoverable error 53, we recommend contacting Apple support.”
Other than that, Apple hasn't commented on the issue or outlined exactly what the company can do for those affected by the iPhone bricking error message. Mentions of "error 53" have been around since at least last April, where some users have encountered the issue in software updates as early as iOS 8.3.

good

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Smythe posted:

you don't need to preface criticism of software with "i love x, but" like you're talking about an abusive or mentally ill family member

but steve-kun may rise if i say my iphone hasnt had any significant UI or feature developments in years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lotta people itt too dumb to copy mp3 files onto a device

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

qirex posted:

lotta people itt too dumb to copy mp3 files onto a device

too much work

streaming is the BEST

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
apple devices are great for non-technical women and children but also are impossible to use for big nerds who are really into computers.

stick with one, the mixed message doesnt play imo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah I guess if you only listen to the mainstream crap streaming services actually have on your 2" bluetooth speaker they're probably pretty needs suiting

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Google Play is a lot better than Apple Music and has better UI Han Spotify, but the official playlists aren't as good as Spotify.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Groove music is better than both

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah i'd rather have a bricked phone than someone stealing my fingerprint thx

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i dont get why it doest just disable touchid if you replace the sensor but maybe theres some super secret reason why

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

i dont get why it doest just disable touchid if you replace the sensor but maybe theres some super secret reason why

Applepay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
its only replacing the button itself and/or the cable so the separated hardware which actually stores the fingerprint is still original, so any device added in with the repair could access your fingerprint even with touchid disabled.

thats what im guessing anyway.

• Locked thread