Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I foil all swinetaurs by just clearing the corpses and locking them to the front. They are junk at that point.

Now mother loving tree branch smackdown, that is still a fight that is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what does Trot Retreat actually do apart from move the swinetaur

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It moves the swinetaur

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rascyc posted:

I foil all swinetaurs by just clearing the corpses and locking them to the front. They are junk at that point.

Now mother loving tree branch smackdown, that is still a fight that is annoying.
I don't think anything in the game outside of maybe something in the dd itself does as much damage as a crit tree branch smackdown. Fucker crit a leper of mine on a medium level weald run for 59, taking him from max health to death's door in one hit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Fourth mission abandoned tonight, though at least this one brought in some good loot.

For reference, I'd recently sunk quite a bit of money into preparing a number of my higher-level characters for various expeditions - leveling up their equipment and abilities, learning key camping skills - only the first such mission (the one with the world's most resilient swinetaur) to go belly up in a bad way. Brought back quite a few heirlooms from that run, but cash not so much. Not wanting to risk losing my star players due to budget-related problems, my last three missions have all been throwing fresh (or almost fresh) off the stagecoach recruits into whatever short apprentice dungeons are available to drum up some cash. Some of it's been the game's fault, some of it's been mine, but it's just been a nightmare all around.

Lyrax posted:

Not sure how legit this is but every Swinetaur I've ever faced has been foiled by great dodge chance. I still don't know how much Bull Rush is supposed to hit for. Bring a Man-At-Arms with Bolster and also Rampart for additional stun if you can.
I actually had everyone relatively tricked out with good dodge trinkets. My Occultist was basically untouchable for most of the dungeon, even with all the bad mojo going down around him. Just my luck the one time the enemy actually lands a hit it's a crit for my Highwayman's entire life bar.

EDIT: On the plus side my guild is now fully upgraded.

DOUBLE EDIT: FIFTH failed mission in a row. What is going on tonight.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 5, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Meiteron posted:

I can imagine a real awkward conversation when I have to walk up to 4-5 of my primo shitwreckers and tell them that they're all fired so I can hire some grubby peasants to go get some money to outfit the rest of the group. On the bright side I still have two veteran-level bosses to kill, so at least I'll be able to cover those as well.

"Guys, I can't keep people who refuse to do the work I want them to do because they believe they are better than that. If I tell you to kill low level rats, you kill low level rats. Pack up your poo poo, I want your desks clean by 11."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally managed to break outta whatever kinda slump I was in to take down Wilbur and Orville.

Initially I was gonna bring my best Grave Robber instead of an Occultist, but decided I'd been having a bad enough time as it was without risking the lack of a dedicated healer. The fight went off without a hitch and I even stumbled upon a secret room. Hopefully this means a shift back to my normal level of competency.

Apologies for subjecting everybody to my :smith: over the last page and a half.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, I meant to ask before, is there anything I can enter in the startup commands for DD that skips the intro cutscene/red hook/kickstarter/text blurb and just goes straight to the menu upon startup? I know some games have that, TF2's was very handy for skipping the Valve logo and such.

Edit: boy, uh, I had not yet set foot into the non-EA champion level warrens

Those champion swinetaurs, they sure are real fuckers huh

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 5, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Finally managed to break outta whatever kinda slump I was in to take down Wilbur and Orville.

Initially I was gonna bring my best Grave Robber instead of an Occultist, but decided I'd been having a bad enough time as it was without risking the lack of a dedicated healer. The fight went off without a hitch and I even stumbled upon a secret room. Hopefully this means a shift back to my normal level of competency.

Apologies for subjecting everybody to my :smith: over the last page and a half.

This was how I just beat him but with a Hellion instead of a bounty hunter.

I'm also the guy that brings the houndmaster to boss fights and forgets about dog treats

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I finally remembered to use a dog treat on a boss! Except the hag chucked the doggy in the pot first turn.

Maybe next time :negative:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what does Trot Retreat actually do apart from move the swinetaur

All of its 'good' attacks need it to be in the back of the enemy formation, and move it forward.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Rascyc posted:

I THINK tree branch smackdown only hits the very front so you can have a man at arms or houndmaster spam guard on the frontliner to keep their Prot+ and Dodge+ buffs up, but usually when I do that the motherfucker uses confusion spores and fucks everything up again :sigh:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Swinetaurs are pretty cool, as far as their ability design goes, but I'm surprised to hear people have issues with them. Those guys just whiff all the time against me even on Champion, I don't even take them seriously anymore.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Wizard Styles posted:

Swinetaurs are pretty cool, as far as their ability design goes, but I'm surprised to hear people have issues with them. Those guys just whiff all the time against me even on Champion, I don't even take them seriously anymore.

they're only scary if they manage to double stun your guys and somehow other enemies are still alive

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

How Rude posted:

I THINK tree branch smackdown only hits the very front so you can have a man at arms or houndmaster spam guard on the frontliner to keep their Prot+ and Dodge+ buffs up, but usually when I do that the motherfucker uses confusion spores and fucks everything up again :sigh:
The first two ranks but yeah, there's no real 100% way to go about it. It can be used from any rank.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wizard Styles posted:

If I have the team setup to stun them while I clear out their pals/keep them in the front I'm not scared of them at all, but they are horrifying the second they get a real attack off. Pig spear is disgusting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wizard Styles posted:

They're just a chore to bring down, really. I had a bad encounter where there was a swine slayer who just wouldn't loving die or get stunned, and the swinetaur just pig speared all the live long day. The only thing that kept my dudes alive through that was my man at arms spamming the dodge/speed buff to keep everyone going first and dodging most attacks. It was so ridiculous that the swinetaur died before the goddamn slayer did, on turn 14 or some poo poo. It was a crazy battle of attrition, and if my vestal didnt have the healing head and the healing scroll, id never have survived. Prayer of healing for 7 on everyone, 14 crit really did wonders.

Every other encounter with them has been kill everyone else, then whittle them down over like 4-6 turns depending on how much the rng wants to gently caress with me.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 5, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I had no idea this could even happen:

"OH poo poo! I mean, uh, hey guys, it's me again. Was just checking out my head collection and thought of you all, figured 'I haven't ambushed those guys in a while,' so... y'know... geez, is this how it feels when I do it? This... this isn't how I expected it to go is all."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, surprising the collector? Yeah its pretty common if you're running full torch runs

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Fairly certain after my 12 pounder surprising me that there is a check for it every single fight regardless of what it is

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I've run into him like two dozen plus times and it's always been either a standard battle or a surprise.

Can you surprise a Shambler? I vaguely recall seeing someone do it once, but I've never managed to get anything but a regular fight that opens with the auto-shuffle.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nakar posted:

I've run into him like two dozen plus times and it's always been either a standard battle or a surprise.

Can you surprise a Shambler? I vaguely recall seeing someone do it once, but I've never managed to get anything but a regular fight that opens with the auto-shuffle.

I surprised him yesterday in a random hall fight so yeah for sure. Knocked off 1/2 his health before he got to go. Barely finished that cove run after that since that was my immediate first fight and his stupid lovely little nubbins still got to stress a bunch of guys out.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 5, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I beat my first shambler today, that is not a fun fight

Like no matter what your party is not leaving that encounter intact, either physically or mentally, he's a real fucker. I thought you only encountered him from the interactables but I ran into one on a medium cove run and his stupid little anemone-looking fuckers took out my plague doctor before I could finish him off.

Edit: lol good to see the hate for the little adds he makes is shared, the ones from the collector suck but are manageable, but those things really really are just hateful little bastards

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Nakar posted:

The Shambler fight is always in pitch black and your party always gets surprised, even if you intentionally lit the altar knowing full well what was coming.

Captain Invictus posted:

Like no matter what your party is not leaving that encounter intact, either physically or mentally, he's a real fucker. I thought you only encountered him from the interactables but I ran into one on a medium cove run and his stupid little anemone-looking fuckers took out my plague doctor before I could finish him off.

You have a low chance of encountering him if you wander in any dungeon in pitch black. A lot of dark runners still run torches for that fact and because <25 light is close to as good as pitch black for encounters/treasure.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 5, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

He shows up in hallways randomly under pitch black conditions too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lyrax posted:

The Shambler fight is always in pitch black and your party always gets surprised, even if you intentionally lit the altar knowing full well what was coming.

You have a low chance of encountering him if you wander in any dungeon in pitch black. A lot of dark runners still run torches for that fact and because >25 light is close to as good as pitch black for encounters/treasure.
Not entirely true. I've had an altar-spawned shambler not surprise me. Pretty rare though in my experience, probably just gets a huge modifier for surprising you and your own party buffs may act against it.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
The wiki lies and I also have the worst luck. Time to stack Book of Intuitions during dark runs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Not entirely true. I've had an altar-spawned shambler not surprise me. Pretty rare though in my experience, probably just gets a huge modifier for surprising you and your own party buffs may act against it.

Considering this line in the Shambler's data files:

code:
battle_modifier: .disable_stall_penalty True .can_surprise True .can_be_surprised False .always_surprise True .always_be_surprised False
Being surprised/failing to surprise seems to be unintended behavior; there's generally not a lot of deprecated stuff in there and RH has been pretty diligent about filling this stuff out for all the new monsters they add. I suspect your guess is probably correct and surprise modifiers are getting added after it sets surprise chances based on these settings.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sloober posted:

Fairly certain after my 12 pounder surprising me that there is a check for it every single fight regardless of what it is

No, that's just what I assume to be a bug with the canon fight. You can surprise only the normal bandits that spawn alongside it. So I'm guessing because they are normal enemies and not actually bosses the game still checks the surprise encounter roll for them.

I've never seen any other boss be surprised.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the houndmaster's sanity slips away as he realises the hellion is in fact played by jar jar binks

e: the hellion is now dead of a heart attack

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 5, 2016

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

38 turns. Huh. I probably could have prepared better for this boss.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That might be the smuggest skeleton I've ever seen.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How exactly does the stress / reinforcements anti-stalling mechanic work? Googling for it just gets me to a bunch of inspecific whining on the steam forums. Is it a hard round limit or does it trigger one round after there's one enemy left or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've only had the reinforcement thing activate once, and it was after three turns of stunlocking the one remaining enemy so I could heal up and stuff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I've only had the reinforcement thing activate once, and it was after three turns of stunlocking the one remaining enemy so I could heal up and stuff.

Yeah this is the only time I've had it happen as well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

gently caress this game (and champion dungeons)

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Mzbundifund posted:

How exactly does the stress / reinforcements anti-stalling mechanic work? Googling for it just gets me to a bunch of inspecific whining on the steam forums. Is it a hard round limit or does it trigger one round after there's one enemy left or what?

Anecdotal but I've only had it happen when I was actually stalling, and not just failing to kill someone.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FrickenMoron posted:

How stressful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah I've only ever had the extra stress trigger when I was intentionally stalling a fight. I've never had reinforcements trigger at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

FrickenMoron posted:

I guess they weren't a fan of the well aged and eldritch-infused vintage.