Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

drilldo squirt posted:

To be fair it seems like they are starting to crack down on it.

I don't see it. Israel has always been willing to crack down on the most egregious examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's always easier to punish the most egregious offenders because that way you can scapegoat them and ignore the systemic issues that breed those insanely hateful people in the first place

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Also, and possibly more relevantly, these radical movements are targeting more than just Arabs and Muslims. They're anti-Christian, anti-non-Orthodox, anti-gay, and in many cases they oppose the Israeli government itself. That's what the crackdown is really about - these movements aren't just murdering Palestinians, they're also burning churches, vandalizing Reform synagogues, stabbing gay pride marchers, and throwing stones at soldiers. Ettinger's manifesto called for using terrorism to exacerbate various social tensions in Israel in hopes of sparking an outright civil war, which he hoped would lead to the collapse of the current secular Israeli government and pave the way for the establishment of a Jewish theocracy. These radical movements have simply grown beyond anything that Israel could turn a blind eye to.

Moreover, Israel sometimes needs to show a strong response for political reasons. High-profile cases are the ones that make international headlines, and are therefore far more important than the daily violence. That's probably why the Duma arson suspects have been railroaded so hard, complete with "enhanced interrogation" justified under "ticking bomb" clauses.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

2. Israel is perceived as another "white/Western" country, even if this may not really match reality. Many people in the West tend to be far more interested in countries they perceive as being similar to their own committing crimes than countries they view as very alien/different. This is definitely completely illogical and isn't a good reason, but I can still understand why it happens.

I want to bounce off this one in particular. I think one of the other reasons for the focus on Israeli human rights violations is that it actually claims aspirations to be a state in support of human rights to begin with.

To use a different example, in various Syrian Civil War related discussions, some people will occasionally claim that whenever there's an alleged crime committed by Kurdish forces; however, I think this is because out of all the major forces in the region, the Kurds (and the SDF around them) are about the only ones who say they give a drat about rights an equality. Thus, when the regime bombs a neighbourhood into rubble, it's a non-story, but if a Kurdish unit fires on civilians, it is immensely controversial.

I see something of a similar effect with the Israeli regime. Pro-Israeli propaganda constantly says things like "We have gay rights. We have women's rights. We have minority rights. This is why you should support us." It's only natural that a significant reaction to that premise will be "The fact that those things matter to you mean you should know better."

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

A Terrible Person posted:

I also didn't see anything about the teenagers' families' houses/apartments being scheduled for demolition.

Guess I wasn't the only one curious about this...

quote:

The father of Mohammed Abu Khdeir, the Palestinian teen who was kidnapped and burnt alive by Jewish extremists in 2014, has demanded that the Israeli government demolish the family homes of his son’s murderers and remove their Israeli citizenship, following their sentencing on Thursday.

In a phone call with Newsweek from Jerusalem, Hussein Abu Khdeir condemned the sentence handed down to two of the three killers as too lenient. Jerusalem District Court sentenced the first killer, 17, to a life sentence for helping to pour the gasoline on 16-year-old Khdeir before he was set on fire, plus another three-year sentence, and ordered him to pay $8,946 in reparations to two Palestinian families.

The court sentenced the second killer, aged 16, to 21 years in prison for assisting in Khdeir’s murder. Both minors, neither was identified by the court. The court has not yet sentenced the third suspect, 31-year-old Yosef Ben-David, as they take time to consider his defense’s claim that he was not responsible for his actions because of mental illness.

“It’s like they burnt Mohammed again,” says his father in reaction to the sentencing. “It’s too light of a sentence for the people who burnt him alive. A [Palestinian] kid throws a rock, he will get that same sentence.”

He continues: “They kidnapped him, burned him alive and [the court] gives him this sentence. This is not fair, it is not justice. Next week, we are going to ask the [Israeli authorities] to demolish their homes and take away their Israeli IDs.”

In response to deadly stabbing or shooting attacks committed by Palestinians against Israelis, Israeli authorities demolish the family homes of those implicated in the crime. Palestinians say that the same policy is not enforced for Jewish attackers.

Mohammed’s father says his family will appeal the court’s decision and will take action against the Israeli authorities for not sufficiently punishing his son’s killers. While he is not confident of victory in the Israeli justice system, he says that they will continue to fight in the hopes of stopping another Palestinian from suffering the same fate as his son.

“We are going to go to a higher court and we are going to sue the government and the police,” he adds. “We don’t believe in the Israeli justice…. We don’t believe that we are going to win anything with them.”

“We are going to be after them so nobody else will suffer the way we suffered, and [to prevent] the burning of another Mohammad Abu Khdeir.”

Khdeir’s murder—which, it was revealed in the trial, was carried out in response to the kidnap and murder of three Israeli hitchhikers in the West Bank—set off a chain of events that led to riots in east Jerusalem and the West Bank, and eventually resulted in the seven-week Gaza conflict in 2014.

According to the trial, Khdeir was waiting outside a mosque in East Jerusalem when his killers abducted him on July 2, 2014. They took him to a secluded area in Jerusalem Forest, where two of the killers held him down before Ben-David ordered them to “end him.” One of them choked him and then Ben-David beat him over the head with a crowbar. The three then doused Khdeir in fuel and, while he was still alive, set him alight.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My book. Alternate universe fiction. Mature themes, explicit sexuality w/ humans and animals. "Mrs Sharon I'm sorry but your baby is an owl." Gur Ben Ariel is a human-sized owl with human legs. He survives shooting himself in the face at 11 and becomes a force for peace who can transform humans into animals at the touch of a feather. Accompanied by his mother (still human) and his father (transformed into a literal lion) he crusades against the occupation. In the end he sacrifices his life to transform all Palestinians into dolphins, solving the conflict once and for all. Meanwhile Ariel fucks me (I'm a time traveller in this book) while Lily watches and applauds. I take his furry golden lion cock into my grand canyon and cum like an IMI Negev. The epilogue ends with me giving birth to a lion with a human head and naming it Moshiach. Lily and Ariel dream up a travelling human-animal sex circus and travel around Europe until they're able to retire comfortably in Jerusalem and live off their savings.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Uh, okay guy.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
:catstare:

Fund it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
It's called The Book Of Ariel and it will be an abject critical and commercial failure that most countries don't even bother to ban.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Like the Sharon sons (non-fictional) sue me and all but I can tell their hearts aren't really in it.

In the end I'm left profoundly bankrupt and survive on welfare for the rest of my life. I become a recluse known for breaking into MGM movies and masturbating loudly during the title screen and for about an hour afterward.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My tombstone, commissioned by my family, will read DIED OF A HEART ATTACK AND WAS EATEN BY HER QUAILS, AGE 27

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Avshalom posted:

My tombstone, commissioned by my family, will read DIED OF A HEART ATTACK AND WAS EATEN BY HER QUAILS, AGE 27

You are the best poster in this thread.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Anyway please pretend this never happened and go back and read this post because it's loving horrifying.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My other novel, "The Chirpy Albatross", is a light-hearted comic adventure for children aged 3-6.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I want to bounce off this one in particular. I think one of the other reasons for the focus on Israeli human rights violations is that it actually claims aspirations to be a state in support of human rights to begin with.

This is easily the worst/stupidest/most bizarre anti-Israel argument that gets regurgitated in these threads. It's got the barely sub subtext of "If they stopped pretending to be ranked amongst us civilized Westerners, the way the Arabs have, we wouldn't have this problem" style Orientalism. And that's without addressing the weird racial issues where white Europeans/Americans decide to impose a white identity on Israeli Jews.

Its 'reasoning' also leads to grotesque conclusions, like the idea that the creation of an explicitly theocratic non-democratic state in Israel would be an improvement because it wouldn't be as hypocritical.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

It's not really that weird to expect a nation that voluntarily signed the UN charter to actually uphold some or all of those tenets and apply them equally to all of it's citizens(that includes bedouin in the negev who are israeli citizens but are restricted to similar land usage/zoning laws that apply to palestinians in the west bank for example). The population of the west bank aren't entitled to be treated as full citizens, nor would they probably even be accepted if one were to attempt the process, yet leaving all the civic distinctions aside they still deserve to be treated far better than they are now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Knesset passed a law allowing it to suspend MKs. It then immediately suspended three Arab MKs. :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The Knesset passed a law allowing it to suspend MKs. It then immediately suspended three Arab MKs. :allears:

Totally not apartheid!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ultramega posted:

paging the awesome ghost to the thread

Hi

Kuwait is still an Arab country but it really is much more westernized than the impression you would get from following it in the news and like, weird laws one MP proposed that make it to international news. Compare a random Kuwaiti citizen to a random GCC Citizen especially and we get made fun of for being a 51st state or the "Israel of the GCC" or whatever.

However "Functional" we will have to see, there's gonna be a difficult readjustment period with the spending cuts coming, which everyone agrees need to happen but disagrees fundamentally over where

Oh also; A significant portion of Kuwaiti graduates are offered Kuwait-Funded scholarships to the US which is intentional from both sides

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 9, 2016

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Good looking out, dude. Appreciate the insight.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh Bibi, you just can't help yourself can you? http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.702318

quote:

"At the end, in the State of Israel, as I see it, there will be a fence that spans it all," said Netanyahu. "I'll be told, 'this is what you want, to protect the villa?' The answer is yes. Will we surround all of the State of Israel with fences and barriers? The answer is yes. In the area that we live in, we must defend ourselves against the wild beasts."

Though I must correct the Haaretz translator, he didn't say "wild beasts" he said "beasts of prey" which I think is slightly more racist.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

This is easily the worst/stupidest/most bizarre anti-Israel argument that gets regurgitated in these threads. It's got the barely sub subtext of "If they stopped pretending to be ranked amongst us civilized Westerners, the way the Arabs have, we wouldn't have this problem" style Orientalism. And that's without addressing the weird racial issues where white Europeans/Americans decide to impose a white identity on Israeli Jews.

Its 'reasoning' also leads to grotesque conclusions, like the idea that the creation of an explicitly theocratic non-democratic state in Israel would be an improvement because it wouldn't be as hypocritical.

It must take a lot of effort to try to find the most offensive subtext possible in nearly every post on this thread. The concept that nation states often get judged by standards they create for themselves, and that they are often called out on resulting hypocrisy isn't exactly new or groundbreaking, let alone offensive.

Ratoslov posted:

You are the best poster in this thread.

Also, this is true.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Totally not apartheid!

Actually, I was wrong - the suspension law hasn't passed yet, and they were suspended by the Ethics Committee. This is part of an ongoing controversy with these three MKs - they met with the families of Palestinian attackers in East Jerusalem, whose bodies have been held by Israeli government for the last four months, in order to discuss the refusal of Israel to return the bodies to their families for burial. Naturally this means they're being widely criticized as traitorous terrorist-supporters, and Netanyahu is making truckloads of political hay out of it. Aside from the Ethics Committee complaints and the suspension law, Netanyahu has ordered the AG to investigate the meetings to see if they can be charged with a terrorism offense in spite of their parliamentary immunity, and there have been the usual calls for banning specific Arab parties outright. Interestingly, there has been a bit of opposition to the suspension law from the far-right, particularly the Haredi - since the law would allow a Knesset supermajority to suspend MKs for any "unseemly" behavior, it could potentially be deployed against any small party, not just the Joint Arab List. Also, the rigbt sometimes meets with the families of terrorists themselves; for example, Ayelet Shaked met with the mother of one of the Duma arsonists.

In other news...

Military police who went to Ashdod to arrest a draft-dodger were attacked by a mob of angry Haredi rioters, who threw rocks at them and flipped over a police car. Heavy police reinforcements were sent to rescue and extract the officers. None of the rioters were harmed or arrested.

The Foreign Press Association in Israel, which represents foreign journalists, was invited to a Knesset committee hearing to "explain" foreign journalists' "biased" reporting.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They just keep getting dumber and dumber:

quote:

A Likud lawmaker was met with derision in the Knesset plenum, after saying that that there was no such thing as a Palestinian people, since Arabic doesn't have the consonant "P."

"I want to go back to history, what is our place here, about Jerusalem, about Palestine, when like we said, Arabic doesn't even have 'P,' so this loan-word also merits scrutiny," MK Anat Berko said in a Knesset address on Wednesday.

In Arabic, the word for Palestine is pronounced "Falastin."

"What? Did everyone hear this? Are you an idiot?" Meretz MK Tamar Zandberg called out, to which Berko responded: "These are the facts. I'll send it to you, everything's alright."

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.702630

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

You can't be serious. How do people like that even get into politics.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ultramega posted:

You can't be serious. How do people like that even get into politics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Inhofe#Global_warming_a_.22hoax.22

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

quote:

"What? Did everyone hear this? Are you an idiot?" Meretz MK Tamar Zandberg called out, to which Berko responded: "Yes."

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

I had to walk away from my phone and take a deep breath after I read the part where he cited a work of fiction during a hearing about science. I wish I could make up poo poo for $180k a year and lifetime benefits.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

I had to walk away from my phone and take a deep breath after I read the part where he cited a work of fiction during a hearing about science. I wish I could make up poo poo for $180k a year and lifetime benefits.

You... may not want to read about Justice Scalia's opinions on torture, then.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Noted anti semite Tom Friedman talks about the end of the two state solution and actually suggests that it isn't just the Palestinians behind why the two state ideal is dead.

A man who talks to too many Cab Drivers posted:

The Many Mideast Solutions
[Thomas L. Friedman]

Thomas L. Friedman FEB. 10, 2016
Continue reading the main story