Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just missed my first 95% chance to hit. :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr.Citrus posted:

I feel like the experimental round types are tons better than grenades on almost everyone except the grenadier. The fire and poison rounds effectively add two damage, as they add one damage on the attack then one on the enemies turn.

Then how do you destroy cover?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I found its better to not metal gear solid the maps by sneaking to the objective. You will find yourself activating 3 pods at the same time.

The only exception to this I've found so far is sneaking around the first Blacksite mission so I didn't have to deal with any of the turrets. I did have to pop two pods at once for my first fight on the map, but I knew they were there and was able to plan my ambush so that the enemies I couldn't kill on the initial ambush were too far out of range to be any real danger (most of my squad was in full cover). Not needing to deal with the turrets allowed me to get a surprise attack on the Muton, which would otherwise have been a fairly rough bit of combat so early in the game.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just missed my first 95% chance to hit. :xcom:
Yep, I've had one of those so far. On the other hand I've had my sharpshooter with Lightning hands nail several ~30% shots. Lesson: if you can't hit anything else with Lightning Hands, it can sometimes be worth taking even low percentage shots if it will result in a kill-on-hit since you're not using an action to do it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: The Resistance Warrior Kevlar Armor is just the basic armor from EU but beat up. :allears:

Try hitting the torso prop options- you get that, jeans and a ratty t-shirt, some other civvies, and a Bradford sweater!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I missed a 91% yesterday!

Love the game so far, but I am absolutely horrible at it. Was playing on the second-highest difficulty, but I'm going to have to restart my second game because I keep accidentally wounding / killing my promoted soldiers by mission 2, which usually means the rookies all die or go MIA on the VIP mission, and then I have a team of rookies for the fourth civilian panic mission (which is great and all up until the Faceless shows up and starts destroying cover and, in one memorable instance, critting a rookie for all of their blood).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr.Citrus posted:

I feel like the experimental round types are tons better than grenades on almost everyone except the grenadier. The fire and poison rounds effectively add two damage, as they add one damage on the attack then one on the enemies turn.

I prefer the poison rounds as there are lots of other methods for dealing with mech enemies. The randomness of the fire rounds in exchange for working on everything just doesn't seem worth it.

This means a rookie that hits a advent captain will routinely kill them in one turn, and always kill a grunt.

Grenades are for destroying cover. Taking them off removes the ability to destroy cover. It's a lot more of a balanced thing than you think. At least if you're not running with Medium armor that gives you two item slots, since the game doesn't let you equip a second grenade anyways.

RoboCicero posted:

I missed a 91% yesterday!

Love the game so far, but I am absolutely horrible at it. Was playing on the second-highest difficulty, but I'm going to have to restart my second game because I keep accidentally wounding / killing my promoted soldiers by mission 2, which usually means the rookies all die or go MIA on the VIP mission, and then I have a team of rookies for the fourth civilian panic mission (which is great and all up until the Faceless shows up and starts destroying cover and, in one memorable instance, critting a rookie for all of their blood).

I missed a 96% earlier today! :v: Best part: it was literally my self insert.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
this game feels way way harder than xcom1 so far and not in a good way

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Then how do you destroy cover?

That demolition skill on grenadiers is crazy good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does the area you deploy in determine what kind of environment the stage will be? I started in the eastern US, and I've been getting a ton of urban maps.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I had a 100% graze.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Alkydere posted:

Grenades are for destroying cover. Taking them off removes the ability to destroy cover. It's a lot more of a balanced thing than you think. At least if you're not running with Medium armor that gives you two item slots, since the game doesn't let you equip a second grenade anyways.

I missed a 96% earlier today! :v: Best part: it was literally my self insert.

Grenades are a lot safer to use in this game compared to EU/EW/LW anyways because you don't have to worry about loosing out on drops near as much. This is especially nice for timed missions because it allows you to go all Rolling Thunder against enemies to get you to your objective faster.

Also: Don't underestimate flashbangs. They are quite possibly more important to start with than medkits.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nordick posted:

So I read there's supposed to be a battle replay feature for this game. Is it yet to be implemented, or is it multiplayer only, or have I just not found it?

The replay feature is not a part of the regular game, and was shown off during a modding panel as a debug tool. I'm assuming that someone will have a write up a tutorial for how to use it at some point.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Since the psi-amp is back, are shock prods and stun launchers back as well?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

amuayse posted:

Since the psi-amp is back, are shock prods and stun launchers back as well?

To the former: Yes it's used against you and to the latter, near as I can tell no.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Here's my character for the GoonPool:

Err, updated my character to fix some horrid spelling in my Bio.
http://a.pomf.cat/yhbxez.bin

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DeathSandwich posted:

Grenades are a lot safer to use in this game compared to EU/EW/LW anyways because you don't have to worry about loosing out on drops near as much. This is especially nice for timed missions because it allows you to go all Rolling Thunder against enemies to get you to your objective faster.

Also: Don't underestimate flashbangs. They are quite possibly more important to start with than medkits.
Seconding both of these. I didn't use explosives much in XCOM1 because it would destroy all equipment AND the corpse. In this it just reduces (removes?) the chance for a weapon mod drop, but you still get the corpse.
Flashbangs have an enormous radius and disorientation is incredibly powerful. Plus it can drop mind control!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the resistance armor is like actually armor instead of just being superficial, what a weird choice

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just one-shot a Codex with Deadeye before it could split or teleport. drat, that felt good.]

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
We still sharing GoonPool meatshieldssoldiers or uploading them to a certain place now?

Here have a stereotype

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Flashbangs are great and have kept me from getting hit when I couldn't kill pods via overwatch. I highly recommend doing 1xFlash 1xFrag early game on your grenadier(s).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

Seconding both of these. I didn't use explosives much in XCOM1 because it would destroy all equipment AND the corpse. In this it just reduces (removes?) the chance for a weapon mod drop, but you still get the corpse.
Flashbangs have an enormous radius and disorientation is incredibly powerful. Plus it can drop mind control!

Yeah, both of these. Flashbangs got a huge loving buff, in addition to the general buffs to grenades. The only, ONLY nerf I can see grenades ever got is that you can no longer aim for individual pixels, having to aim along the grid. And that's still incredibly minor. Explode everything erry day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow snipers can't hit a loving thing in XCOM 2. 40% chance to hit an open target. :thumbsup:

Zomborgon posted:

Try hitting the torso prop options- you get that, jeans and a ratty t-shirt, some other civvies, and a Bradford sweater!

Oh hell yeah.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Anyone who thinks the sword sucks, let me tell you an amazing discovery:

Sword attacks do extra damage against sectoids. Maybe because they're naked, I dunno. But a sword ranger is the hard counter to a sectoid. Ignore their tricks, ignore their zombies, just chop that fucker.

Jane Kelly has become a sectoid murder machine. She hardly needs to use her shotgun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow snipers can't hit a loving thing in XCOM 2. 40% chance to hit an open target. :thumbsup:

Oh hell yeah.

Squadsight can damage your aim chances, so maybe get in closer? I threw a scope and tracker ammo at my sniper and he's can hit things pretty consistently (85+15 aim)

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Here's a fun one.

My computer hard crashes whenever a sectoid starts casting one of its magic attacks. it goes into that little cutscene of them waving their arms around with all the purple mist stuff and then my monitors shut off and my computer crashes totally about 10 seconds later.

Any uh, ideas on this one?

GTX 970 x2 in SLI, i7 4790k, 24gb ram.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just trained my first psi operative, one of the first choices for training? void rift. :getin:

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Speedball posted:

Anyone who thinks the sword sucks, let me tell you an amazing discovery:

Sword attacks do extra damage against sectoids. Maybe because they're naked, I dunno. But a sword ranger is the hard counter to a sectoid. Ignore their tricks, ignore their zombies, just chop that fucker.

Jane Kelly has become a sectoid murder machine. She hardly needs to use her shotgun.

Who on earth thinks swords suck? They are literally the greatest thing ever

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anyone that thinks swords suck clearly has never gotten a cinematic kill with a sword and gotten the sickass sheathing animation.

I will admit their tactical potential seemed low for a while, mostly would use it to finish off things that were too far away, but then I unlocked Reaper and everything changed. Everything.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

More questions cuz I'm at work and can't play yet: what is the Geoscape like in this game? Are there more options and stuff to do there?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is the first base they show you a blacksite? I want to put that off as long as i can.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh didn't extract one person on time...oh wait I still got an excellent rating...I guess they still got back....:negative:.

Captured. :smith:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 5, 2016

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh hell yeah.

Squadsight gets an aim penalty as range increases, so no you can't archangel from a map corner and obliterate everything :(

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is there a way to remove the 'Shaken' effect from a soldier, or does it eventually pass?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fishstick posted:

Is there a way to remove the 'Shaken' effect from a soldier?

use them to kill.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I wonder why they said nothing about timers everywhere in the trailer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SneakyFrog posted:

use them to kill.

Literally, use them on missions and avoid getting them hurt and they will get back to normal.

It's the Jeremy Kyle method of PTSD health

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Is there a way to remove the 'Shaken' effect from a soldier, or does it eventually pass?

kill someone with them and dont get reinjured. they get a will boost if you "shake" if off :haw:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
They should do a timed civilization next.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It seems like three and up damage is a grave wound now, which is a hassle early on, because everything does 3 damage.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Squadsight can damage your aim chances, so maybe get in closer? I threw a scope and tracker ammo at my sniper and he's can hit things pretty consistently (85+15 aim)

It was his sight not the squad's, but I'll throw everything her way because otherwise she's insanely useless. The 95% to hit that hosed up squadsight though. :haw:

Hilariously my gunner is laser accurate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Infinity Gaia posted:

Anyone that thinks swords suck clearly has never gotten a cinematic kill with a sword and gotten the sickass sheathing animation.

I will admit their tactical potential seemed low for a while, mostly would use it to finish off things that were too far away, but then I unlocked Reaper and everything changed. Everything.

The only problem I have with swords is the less than 100% to hit chance. If they hit 100% of the time, they would be a clean-up tool or a way to pile damage on a big target after you've killed the rest of the pod, but with the added risk of exposing another pod when you move in.

As it is you run up to an enemy taking all that risk AND you have a one in nine chance of whiffing and losing your Ranger. I need to be very desperate or cocky to use the sword.