Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Sure, those books + the latest FAQ will serve you well.
You might want to also consider book 6 when it's out, because it's adding a poo poo ton of options to every legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I got that trilogy a few weeks ago (taking advantage of the same sale) when Carl announced the return of the ICs. No regrets!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
A quick question to help with modeling decisions - how do people like to equip their legion tactical squad sargents? Just standard kit to keep them cheap? Combi-weapons? Powerfist or melta-bombs to avoid being stuck in combat with Dreadnoughts etc? I'm building Death Guard, in case that makes a major difference. I see a lot of lists with artificer armour on the sarge, I'm assuming that's to gain some advantage from mixed armour rules, rather than just to keep him safe.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I gave mine a power fist because it's only 15 points and you get AP2 and good vehicle damage. I've also heard that a combi-weapon + melta bombs is good.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Galaspar posted:

A quick question to help with modeling decisions - how do people like to equip their legion tactical squad sargents? Just standard kit to keep them cheap? Combi-weapons? Powerfist or melta-bombs to avoid being stuck in combat with Dreadnoughts etc? I'm building Death Guard, in case that makes a major difference. I see a lot of lists with artificer armour on the sarge, I'm assuming that's to gain some advantage from mixed armour rules, rather than just to keep him safe.

Artificer is there so the sarge can shrug off most weapons, especially in challenges. It's a pretty cheap way to tank extra hits and keep the Ld bump going.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Artificer is definitely worth it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, AA is pretty much mandatory. When you don't factor in legion specific rules then the most common kit are:
1) AA, Fist
2) AA, Axe, Melta Bomb
3) AA, Combi weapon/Sword

Option 1 is good for units with 3 base attacks, but it also has a place in squads that are expected to see fighting against characters. Doubling out enemy HQs is pretty common and the fist lets you do that. Option 2 costs just as many points, but gives you 3 instead of 2 base attacks with some sweet AP2 action. This is a good generalist kit for taking on regular sergeants and gives you a chance to take down contemptors, albiet the bomb really isn't necessary. I see option 3 run sometimes in range oriented squads or in metas where nobody takes AA and so sergents can be popped at I4.

When you factor in legion specific rules, this changes. EC, for example, are probably always going to take phoenix spears to murder your sergents at I6. Iron Hands can give characters cyber familiars, which can turn a breacher sergeant into a 4++ mini tank (which is a good place for a fist). IFs get re-rolls in challenges. Chainglaives will always replace swords for Night Lords. Death Guard get rad grenades, so when paired up with admech your axes will be instakilling everything. RG will probably rock Raven's Talons. Alphas will probably rock a power dagger and power fist.

by.a.teammate posted:

I dont really care about the rules at the moment but fluff wise i got the 4th Heresy book and it looked amazing so i wanted to complete the set with the limited price Isstvan Trilogy off forge world, is it a good deal?

I doubt they would update them or anything i assume there just trying to sell them off before the new red book but just wanted to check before i spent all this money on them.

Exactly what Mango wrote. They are selling those books because they're either changing them up or expecting nobody to buy them after the new book drops. If you want fluff and story, they own bones, for rules get the red books.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Artificer is a game changer. I managed to lay down 8 flamers on a squad once, 32 wounds. 13 of them tanked by one guys armour!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been working on vehicles over the last few months. I can now safely say that working with resin just... sucks.

Even when its a good cast I'll still spend hours filing and cutting peices that should normally go together without a single problem. This is particualry funny when you consider most vehicles are symmetrical boxes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I agree about the resin. There's no way I'd even be playing if it wasn't for the BaC box being plastic. I don't mind the occasional resin figure, but not in the quantities and easily-warped panels of vehicles.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

BULBASAUR posted:

I've been working on vehicles over the last few months. I can now safely say that working with resin just... sucks.

Even when its a good cast I'll still spend hours filing and cutting peices that should normally go together without a single problem. This is particualry funny when you consider most vehicles are symmetrical boxes.

I feel your pain. I've still not been able to get my Spartan and Typhon hulls to sit flush with the sides, the wonky fuckers wont mesh properly and I'm about to go in hamfist with a huge wad of greenstuff and call it a day. The Assault rams are equally infuriating, even the one I bought from a friend that was pre-assembled looks asymmetrical as Macaulay Culkin with excess glue and filler just to keep it together (again just like Macaulay Culkin), although for 30 bux I cannot complain too much. I've still got two Proteus Land raiders unassembled that are likely to remain that way. At least the hybrid plastic resin kits like the Achilles and the deimos pattern predators go together reasonably enough with a hair dryer and a little abrasive paper.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh man, you are in for a treat. I've got two Proteus Land raiders right here and they have both been total nightmares.

You know something is wrong when you look forward to assembling drop pods- a model which is 'quick' and 'easy' compared to resin

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Am I double hosed since I have an unassembled Dreadnought Drop pod soaking in the tub?

The Dread Drop Pod only has nine parts but it has stupidly weak and flimsy door hinges, every single one I've ever seen on a gaming table has been broken. Re-enforcing it is going to be a challenge. Anyone have any experience with the bastard?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I would just magnetize the doors shut, and when you open them it won't really matter that the hinge doesn't work right as they flop down.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Funny enough my dread drop pod just finished its soak. It looks down right pleasant to work on after these stupid land raiders.

SlowPoke is right. The way to do it with magnets- keep the doors locked when they are up and just let them flop limp when you pry them open.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
balls, missed the book deal, thought it was on til the 5th not ends on the 5th, now get all 5 books for £350...

Endman
May 18, 2010

Knowing my luck I will have assembled and painted all these Blood Angels tactical marines just as they announce the Legion rules including better Assault marines or something.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Endman posted:

Knowing my luck I will have assembled and painted all these Blood Angels tactical marines just as they announce the Legion rules including better Assault marines or something.

Well, legion rules are at least coming out tomorrow. I just hope the sperglords don't buy 20 copies each and it's sold out by the time it's my turn.

E. Are you at the weekender, Ghost Hand?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mango, if there are any cool games day excluisive models I'll have to hit you up.

Also:

Renegade marines confirmed :fap:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, is this the weekend the Dark Angels rules are going to leak? :ohdear:

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

Oh no, is this the weekend the Dark Angels rules are going to leak? :ohdear:

Preferred enemy monstrous creatures and stubborn!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

Add Hatred (Dark Angels) and we've probably got it figured out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Renegade marines confirmed :fap:

Man, I know a lot of esoteric warham bullshit but what the hell is a Blackshield?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Killer_Bees! posted:

Army wide stubborn would be pretty good though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

AndyElusive posted:

Man, I know a lot of esoteric warham bullshit but what the hell is a Blackshield?

In 40K a Blackshield is a member of the Deathwatch who has painted his armor black and renounced his Chapter. These guys are in Deathwatch for life and are always expected to volunteer for the poo poo jobs.

In 30K it's a little less clear but it seems to refer to Istvaan V survivors who have done a similar thing and banded together as one despite coming from different Chapters (usually Loyalist members of the Traitor Legions). There's some weird side note about the survivors maybe making a new batch of Astartes out of a mishmash of geneseed from the fallen Marines, but who knows.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Loyalist members of Traitor Legions sounds about right, especially if it's based on Deathwatch Blackshields. Or retroactive precedent, w/e.

Are these guys going to be the prototype Grey Knights or what.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Are these guys going to be the prototype Grey Knights or what.

Nah, that's some other goofs covered only in audio dramas or some poo poo. Garro. That dude.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ah ok. So like Proto Deathwatch Blackshields and similar to the Shattered Legions but formed from the surviving loyalists from the Traitor Legions. Cool.

I expect to see 100 mini novellas and audios exclusive to the Black Library online store focused around them for a limited time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, that's some other goofs covered only in audio dramas or some poo poo. Garro. That dude.

:geno:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its a bit confusing because rules for both are coming out this weekend:

Blackshields = Renegade Astartes (Pirates, Marauders, fight for either sides of the conflict)
Shattered Legions = Ragtag Astartes units made from several legions (surviving loyalists or traitors)

Both are getting unique troops choices and some other things. I'm excited for the blackshields as its kinda the direction my army has been taking for a while. Nobody knows how they are implemented, but according to interviews last year it was 'hard to balance' which probably implies you get some benefits from your parent legion.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Atleast FW are taking the time to somewhat balance their game :allears:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm excited for the blackshields as its kinda the direction my army has been taking for a while.

Yes I felt your models that have been painted Iron Warriors that you play as Iron Hands, who ally in gay robots definitely have been moving towards the direction of black shield for sure.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It is a shameful person that plays their Iron Warriors as counts-as Iron Hands

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

It is a shameful person that plays their Iron Warriors as counts-as Iron Hands

Bulbasaur is straight from Russia and thus knows no shame. I've seen him successfully complete the cinnamon challenge for a large pizza.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
He should hate himself properly and play them as they were meant to be played.

I'm surprised noone has posted these yet.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

:barf:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That looks pretty terrible imho

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It does gently caress up the appeal of the contemptor design yes

Endman
May 18, 2010

Honestly, I like the stubby, boxy design of the regular 'noughts. Is the Atomantic Shielding really worth as much as it costs? Otherwise I might just paint up a Mk.IV Dread instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
People are already sniffing in the show areas? You normally get shooed out until 10am

Live commentary: English people loving love their ketchup at breakfast. Amongst the throng of attendees there is a lone man having breakfast in his business suit; he has an amazing "what's going on" expression.

The shopping queue is like the coils of the hydra. If there's a fire we will all die with the resin.

E. That sons nought mostly seems to suffer from bad posing. Like all contemptors

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 6, 2016