Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Mikujin posted:

That's not how math works

E: I'm still getting +30 LP in plat hoorah. Starting to see Udyr bans. Shyvana is just as rude.

sorry for removing the fluff and filler from your incredible post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

In bronze I think you just ban the easier to play high winrate champs, especially if they're tanky. I bet Malphite would be the strongest bronze champ atm. Junglers who do well with farm seem pretty good too, since people CS worse down there. I think that's why Master Yi has had a reign of terror for so long

I believe this.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
You need to either pick a snowball champ or a lategame teamfight champ. If you snowball you might get the enemy to ff/20, if not the game is almost guaranteed to go long enough (45+) to put everyone in the free gold zone. Picking a splitpusher or a midgame power spiker is handicapping yourself

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
splitpushing in bronze league isnt really a bad idea, you can probably pick jax or irelia, run tp, pick a lane past 20 minutes, and attack move up it. if the enemy team continues to aram, just keep pushing, and if they decide to peel back, the ward you placed intelligently will alert you as to when you need to tp to the other side of the map, to take towers there

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mikujin I think your Udyr guide is Cool and Good, but most of the pro junglers are going Runic Echoes, so I feel like that is the better choice for Phoenix builds.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

splitpushing in bronze league isnt really a bad idea, you can probably pick jax or irelia, run tp, pick a lane past 20 minutes, and attack move up it. if the enemy team continues to aram, just keep pushing, and if they decide to peel back, the ward you placed intelligently will alert you as to when you need to tp to the other side of the map, to take towers there

I've found that GGtop singed is really good at this, I stalled a close but losing game out to 50 minutes until eventually their base just cracked wide open from the constant split pressure and they didn't have any way of pushing back hard enough to prevent me from just constantly rotating until they had too many creeps in their base to leave it.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Mikujin I think your Udyr guide is Cool and Good, but most of the pro junglers are going Runic Echoes, so I feel like that is the better choice for Phoenix builds.

It really depends on your teammates and how the game is going. Devourer means you can deal more damage by yourself, but you have to farm it first. Runic Echoes will help to catch people during early ganks, and since you don't have to farm it you can spend more time doing so if the opportunities are here.

At higher level, games tend to be shorter and more snowbally, hence RE being a more logical choice.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Runic Echoes is best on Udyr, period. Especially if you're going Phoenix.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

quote:

Seeker's Armguard
Armor increased to 30 from 25.
Recipe changes - Now Builds out of [Amp. Tome + Cloth Armor + Cloth Armor + 165 gold] from [Cloth Armor + Amp. Tome + 465 gold]

Yes please.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Sexpansion posted:

Yes please.

:awesome:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Zaodai posted:

So far, I've ended up turning them all into Sona believers by the end of the game. Her W (with Windspeakers) can turn a surprising amount of fights around on top of the already great Q and R, and the E... well, it's nice to have a speed boost in pursuit and sometimes disengage situations. I just don't rank it up until last.

I actually go thunderlords with Sona because I'm a terrible person and landing the auto-powerchord Q-auto on the adc as soon as you get to lane is so drat gratifying.

When do you generally get your first level in E? I used to go Q W E, and then I started going Q W Q E, and then somebody suggested Q W Q W E, so I've been trying that. If lane is going well, it works okay, but if something goes wrong (a gank at a bad time, or I get caught by some cc I didn't expect) and I dying or having to back before I have a point in E, getting back to lane is super lovely and takes forever.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like to get a level in E at 4 just to stack chords faster and have a better approach for the poke. That short burst of movement speed helps a lot in doing hit and runs.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Sona's mini rework last year made E a lot stronger and you should absolutely take it at level 4 now

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Managed to get a game in with Mikujin's Udyr build. First real Udyr game since 2014 IIRC.

http://matchhistory.oce.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/OC1/121246893/43436090?tab=overview

Clear was REALLY slow but I think that was me not positioning camps right so they weren't all caught in the fire breath cone. Also didn't stance dance correctly on the first clear. Did manage to go Full clear level 4-> kill top->kill scuttle->kill mid->kill scuttle->kill one bot->run back around cause the bot jayce was an idiot and ganked again. So 1 kill 3 assists and a full clear of all my stuff plus 2 scuttles before I went back. I also maxed turtle 2nd because I forgot Mikujin said to try maxing bear 2nd.

Didn't get to solo out dragon though cause I did 2nd clear because I got back into jungle JUUUUST as my buff came back up and tried to be greedy. Then they rotated ganked bot and took drag while I was finishing blue :(

Edit:
However, the game immediately after I threw because I am a retard and had my fingers one key over to the right (so my index finger was on R not on E) and reflexively pressed the key beneath it to cast what would have been my smite but was in fact my flash. So I burnt flash and thus began a series of unfortunate events that led to me not clearing Krugs properly because I was tilting and didn't re-position to hit the baby one with my flame, ran OOM spamming turtle/phoenix on raptors, hard to kill/smite blue before wolves for the mana, failed to gank top at 4, walked past the scuttler being killed by the opposing jungle on my way back, re-cleared bot then failed to gank bot when I had the perfect opportunity to flash over a wall with E, stun the enemey ADC and phoenix for a kill but instead I had to chase back up though my (blue side) tri and to above my red where I was expecting my mid to rotate down to but instead ran face first into the opposing jungler and mid-Fizz who raped my retard face off, got a quadra on the opposing Kindred as everyone piled into the fight and died and took dragon uncontested. Then our top d/c'd and we spent the remainder of the match getting shat on from a great height. As our botlane stooped placing wards and yelled at me in chat for throwing the whole game at the 1:40 mark. Easy surrender at 20 because I am stupid and bad.

That's a bit of a vent. Sorry.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 5, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Tahm's W feels so wonky to me, I try and eat an enemy I have an acquired taste for and click on them and then I just end up eating an ally standing further away somehow. Is this something I have to get used to or is it buggy or what?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I've been noticing a weird thing where occasionally when using a targeted ability or even autoattack, I'll instead use it on something closer, whether it's a different champion or a minion. Especially if I'm trying to buffer something while outside its max range. It might be that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

a medical mystery posted:

I've been noticing a weird thing where occasionally when using a targeted ability or even autoattack, I'll instead use it on something closer, whether it's a different champion or a minion. Especially if I'm trying to buffer something while outside its max range. It might be that.
I just bought him and I've hosed up a lot of ganks like this, and it makes me not want to play him as Support anymore.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Anyone played eve lately? I thought she was seeing some play with the runic echoes patch, at least at high tiers, but I can't figure out how to make her work.

I've had the best luck going echoes into a lich bane - then scepter and rylais to get sort of tanky, since the early lich bane procs let you actually 1v1 people. Looks like pros go rylais first, which works, but just feels weak.

She's probably just a bad champ since her teamfight is "hit 5 people with R" and she can't trade well, but I'm having fun with her at least.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Primetime posted:

Anyone played eve lately? I thought she was seeing some play with the runic echoes patch, at least at high tiers, but I can't figure out how to make her work.

I've had the best luck going echoes into a lich bane - then scepter and rylais to get sort of tanky, since the early lich bane procs let you actually 1v1 people. Looks like pros go rylais first, which works, but just feels weak.

She's probably just a bad champ since her teamfight is "hit 5 people with R" and she can't trade well, but I'm having fun with her at least.
The only Pro that still plays her is Bengi who's probably one of the best junglers in the world and he's still not that effective at it, Runic Echos might push her up, I'm waiting to see who plays her when Korea and Europe get on that patch. FWIW I think she fits a similar role as Rek'Sai does, she's really good in coordinated teams because you can collect a lot of information about where people are safely, but on her own she's not a super hard carry most of the time unless you're playing against brain-dead players who don't know how to use a map.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

eve is actually pretty popular in plat+ in korea for whatever reason

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The latest in reddit drama: Lyte trying to skew statistics to make it look like people want dynamic queue over solo queue, and that solo players prefer dynamic queue over the alternative

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

:allears: this is absolutely amazing

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Radical posted:

for whatever reason

that reason is being a stealth ninja assassin my friend

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't know why he/they said they'd do the solo queue thing in the first place. Just tell everyone they're gonna play dynamic queue and they're gonna like it. Like the chances of any significant number of people actually quitting over it are close to zero, so if he's so convinced dynamic queue is really such a great idea, then just do it and quit being such a fuckin Millenial about it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Coca Koala posted:

I actually go thunderlords with Sona because I'm a terrible person and landing the auto-powerchord Q-auto on the adc as soon as you get to lane is so drat gratifying.

When do you generally get your first level in E? I used to go Q W E, and then I started going Q W Q E, and then somebody suggested Q W Q W E, so I've been trying that. If lane is going well, it works okay, but if something goes wrong (a gank at a bad time, or I get caught by some cc I didn't expect) and I dying or having to back before I have a point in E, getting back to lane is super lovely and takes forever.

In most lanes I go Q W Q W E. If I really need the move speed early for some reason, I'll take it at 4 instead of 5. As you said, just don't get caught. I'd actually rather have an extra point in Q than E if I really don't need it, but the utility for running back from the shop or helping people roam, or get out of early dragon fights is kinda nice, so I take it even if I don't think I'll need it immediately. I honestly can't think of a single situation I would willingly go Q W E for the first three levels. I would always rather have the extra Q damage to try and cut my way out of gorilla hell than the minor speed boost. If you're in a situation at level 3 where your E is going to save you, you already hosed up pretty bad (and you'd be better off just having Exhaust instead of ignite for that lane matchup).

I'm just a silver shitter though, so take all that advice with a grain of salt.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd be fine with this new queue because I like seeing what teammates plan to pick and pick accordingly, but it has two major flaws,
One is people constantly dodging by accident because of needing to lock in everything and maybe not noticing it's your turn while doing masteries and not being able to see your champ pool until it's your turn to pick.

The second major flaw is allowing more then two people to queue up together, it's entirely unfair to the solo players to get matched up against 3-4 boosters at once, that's what ranked teams was for, keep that out of solo queue ranking.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I just don't get why lock-ins need to be a thing, especially with stiff time penalties attached considering how easy it still is for people to do by accident

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They would rather people accidentally dodge a bunch by not paying attention instead of have a team get stuck loading in to a 4v5 because somebody crashed in champ select

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

rabidsquid posted:

They would rather people accidentally dodge a bunch by not paying attention instead of have a team get stuck loading in to a 4v5 because somebody crashed in champ select

That's called a client heartbeat.

Also not locking is not the same thing as not picking

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Too bad there's no way for a company hauling in 1.6 billion dollars annually to fix the client.

breaks
May 12, 2001

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I just don't get why lock-ins need to be a thing, especially with stiff time penalties attached considering how easy it still is for people to do by accident

The point of them is to stop people from AFKing the champ select so that it doesn't take a full game of Hearthstone to get through it. I think it does a pretty good job already when people aren't dodging, and people definitely seem to dodge less than they did a week or two ago. It looks like the timers are all getting cut by 25% or so soon which will make it even faster.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Too bad there's no way for a company hauling in 1.6 billion dollars annually to fix the client.

its too large of an undertaking for a company that employs just one behavioral pysch PHD

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

K8.0 posted:

The size of a company makes it more difficult to accomplish large projects, not less.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
but... they make... infinity dollars... they should be able to do what i want right now...

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Saying only their income doesn't mean poo poo either, whats their profit like? Does pro lol still hemorrhage money only to be propped up by skin sales?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Someone designed a better functioning client (Wintergreen or whatever the hell it was) as a pet project, and distributed it freely to anyone who wanted it. Riot hired the guy, presumably to make their client not suck. Then he quit, because they basically hamstringed his ability to actually do what they hired him for.

They clearly have the resources to do something like this, but the bureaucracy in a company that big run by a bunch of manchildren isn't going to be easy to get around.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mikujin posted:

run by a bunch of manchildren

Yea, no amount of money can really help this.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yo luna drop some maccy d's knowledge on us

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

breaks posted:

The point of them is to stop people from AFKing the champ select so that it doesn't take a full game of Hearthstone to get through it. I think it does a pretty good job already when people aren't dodging, and people definitely seem to dodge less than they did a week or two ago. It looks like the timers are all getting cut by 25% or so soon which will make it even faster.

If making champ select shorter is the point, why do they make you wait when it's you and your teammate picking back to back? Pretty sure it's just because they think it'll make champ select look more dramatic in LCS or whatever, which now that I think about it, is probably the actual point behind the lock-in poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

6 lobbies in a row where I've gotten mid with my awesome jungle/mid queue strat (there were dodges and/or missed bans/picks in all of them). I may have to reconsider my master plan.

• Locked thread