Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheChad posted:

Anecdotal but I've only had it happen when I was actually stalling, and not just failing to kill someone.

I had a ghoul come in the ruins after I stalled for a bit and then was buckling down and trying to kill a bone dude but missed with every attack for 2 turns straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

gently caress this game (and champion dungeons)

this must be how the monsters feel when you kill them with a Bellow from the MAA

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

That's a lot of gold lost.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

FrickenMoron posted:

*tips goblet*

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Honestly, what did you expect would happen at the skeleton frat party?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

How exactly does the stress / reinforcements anti-stalling mechanic work? Googling for it just gets me to a bunch of inspecific whining on the steam forums. Is it a hard round limit or does it trigger one round after there's one enemy left or what?

You can take as long as you want as long as there are 2+ enemies left. It also won't trigger against bosses, size 2 enemies, or octopus guards; maybe a couple other tanky enemies. It also doesn't count if the only enemy left has a lethal amount of DOT damage. If you're down to 1 regular enemy that isn't going to die on its own, then you get a couple rounds before it kicks in.

For what it's worth, I'm working on a comprehensive rebalance mod that makes combat substantially more drawn out and in playtesting I still have yet to run into the stalling penalty despite taking much longer to kill things.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

did you push on with only three guys

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
how are you guys getting perfect deathblow screenshots?

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

abardam posted:

how are you guys getting perfect deathblow screenshots?

ShadowPlay's shadow recording feature, followed by going through the recording and snagging screenshots off of that, I would assume. That or very good reflexes.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm going to highlight screenshot #2, where you've KILLED THE FAT SKELETON AND NOT THE WINE GIVER. You should really prioritize targets a poo poo-ton better.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what, with only two out of three of the most flexible ranged characters in the game??

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This was how I just beat him but with a Hellion instead of a bounty hunter.
The only Hellion I have who's currently within suitable level range I'm saving for the Prophet.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm also the guy that brings the houndmaster to boss fights and forgets about dog treats
Same.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hahaa i've just noticed my entire roster of level 6 heroes has downgraded to 5 after the "welp, maybe 15% extra levelling speed in the part of the game where heroes most quickly outlevel the ability of the hamlet to provide uptodate skills and equipment isn't a good idea after all" patch

it's a good chance to take them all out once more before plunging them into the darkest dungeon

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I also forget to use the dog treat during battle. I wish I could at least use it out of battle to let the dog know he did a good job.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

hahaa i've just noticed my entire roster of level 6 heroes has downgraded to 5 after the "welp, maybe 15% extra levelling speed in the part of the game where heroes most quickly outlevel the ability of the hamlet to provide uptodate skills and equipment isn't a good idea after all" patch

it's a good chance to take them all out once more before plunging them into the darkest dungeon
Rollback only dropped one of my level 5 characters to 4, but several of my level 4 characters to 3. Not that I'm complaining since it means I can deploy them on more boss runs.

I also have a second high-level Hellion I completely forgot about so I guess she'll see some use at some point.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Any patch notes?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Darkest Dungeon - Build #13488 (PC and MAC) posted:

Never Again
Characters who have the Never Again trait, now also carry a 30% Party XP buff when running dungeons. This effect does not stack.

FIXES
Tuned Back Resolve XP Thresholds: Left L6 a bit lower to reduce the 5 > 6.
Updated Localization based on community feedback
Fix Death’s Door Recovery Buffs not saving
Fixes to Tooltip Positioning for Tray Icons
Fixed On the Old Road, We Found Redemption and Strict Mode
Achievements (These should be retroactive)
Fixed area name length (mostly for Russian Localization)
Fix target spamming bug where you use an item (dog treats or holy water) to select multiple targets same or different targets with a one target skill.
Fixed crash when going to the Quest Select Screen
Fixed to Man-at-Arms Command ability not affecting CRIT like intended.
Crypts tutorial quest now gives dungeon xp to fix the case where you die in old road and have limited selection of first post tutorial quest.
Removed loot from the summons on the Necromancer, Siren, Brigand Pounder and Ectoplasm fights.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

Never Again
Characters who have the Never Again trait, now also carry a 30% Party XP buff when running dungeons. This effect does not stack.

FIXES
Tuned Back Resolve XP Thresholds: Left L6 a bit lower to reduce the 5 > 6.
Updated Localization based on community feedback
Fix Death’s Door Recovery Buffs not saving
Fixes to Tooltip Positioning for Tray Icons
Achievements (These should be retroactive)
Fixed area name length (mostly for Russian Localization)
Fix target spamming bug where you use an item (dog treats or holy water) to select multiple targets same or different targets with a one target skill.
Fixed crash when going to the Quest Select Screen
Fixed to Man-at-Arms Command ability not affecting CRIT like intended.
Crypts tutorial quest now gives dungeon xp to fix the case where you die in old road and have limited selection of first post tutorial quest.
Removed loot from the summons on the Necromancer, Siren, Brigand Pounder and Ectoplasm fights.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Never Again is the DD trait from beating a DD mission right?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Is this game still coming out on ps4? Anyone know when?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Hey hey. I started a lets play for Darkest Dungeon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVM3waxBK5Y Everything but Old Road and Tutorial are fights against the apprentice bosses. Sodden Crew is gonna be next, then onto veteran bosses.

I'm really surprised by the Leper being kind of useful. Hitting really hard but his inability to do anything if pushed to the back row is really irksome.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Almost exactly my thoughts :(

I'm just now getting into the mid- tier dungeons and I'm almost excited to get the what-for from the new enemies.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
That Never Again buff seems kinda pointless to me, since it only really helps XP gain in Champion dungeons, so I don't expect it to reduce grinding by that much.

The XP rollback thing pushed me from 16 level 6 heroes to 2 level 6 heroes with 54/48 xp and 14 level 5 heroes with 46/48 xp. I've since gained many of the levels back, but I'm sort of done with rolling through champion dungeons just for cash. I sent a squad of level 5's against the Biggest Brigand Clown Car Cannon, and it went quite poorly. My highwayman bled out on like turn 3 of the fight. I went with GR-HW-AB-DOG, and the abomination was able to do a terrifying amount of damage but for the fact that I hadn't buffed his accuracy. How much +Acc do expert players generally roll with on this guy? I'm thinking it'll be okay with just a Sun ring and one big +damage item.

I think I'm going to swap out the houndmaster as well, since he was good during the walk up but was not pulling his weight during the fight proper. I'm thinking something like Arb-Occ-Abom-Hellion, does anyone have any input? It's weird since for the champion cannon you need to poo poo out damage dramatically to deal with the brigands (matchman isn't too easy to kill but the others are jerks) but also probably need some serious sustain since the fight is soo long. I've read people talking about using a MaA but I think his tank isn't as important as getting more damage.

Also, a screenshot of the end of the drowned crew fight:

This was a group of level 5's due to the patch, but it went only somewhat pear shaped. The champion version was notable in that he had plenty of time to shuffle my party with All Hands on Deck, which was interesting to work around. What you see in the screenshot is almost the reverse order of the party as it entered. Glad I didn't bring my leper, who did fine on the apprentice version.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone tried this mod, Pitch Black Dungeon? Apparently it's made and maintained by a member of the dev team and will be getting a major update soon?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone tried this mod, Pitch Black Dungeon? Apparently it's made and maintained by a member of the dev team and will be getting a major update soon?

Oh great, a Long Dungeon mod.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Oh great, a Long Dungeon mod.

I personally look forward to long discussions itt where design decisions that add unnecessary additional complication are vehemently attacked/defended

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No you see Long Dungeon must have an 84 man roster with double quirk generation.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

people are playing this single-player game wrong

also i just had my entire, wounded, champion-level team dodge a shot from the brigand 16-pounder :whatup:

N256
Dec 30, 2009
I'm sometimes getting revealed hallways and rooms near the entrance as if a scout procced (but without the animation) when I first go into a dungeon. I've also seen this happen on a stream. It started happening a couple patches ago. Is this a bug?

N256 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 6, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd presume it's just the game rolling for a random scouting chance at the start of the mission.

Might be a bug but I'm not sure I'd see the need to fix it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZypherIM posted:

I'm going to highlight screenshot #2, where you've KILLED THE FAT SKELETON AND NOT THE WINE GIVER. You should really prioritize targets a poo poo-ton better.

Well given he's not dieing from stress in those screenshots I don't think ignoring the monster that deals mostly stress damage was the bad play.

VVV I got the achievements for strict mode and R&D after booting up the game again so they are

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 6, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

quote:

Any worth in holding on to the hope that this change is retroactive?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Do you need to send Reynauld and Dismas into the Darkest Dungeon for the achievement to count, or the final mission, or do they just have to be alive and kickin' somewhere on your roster?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

N256 posted:

I'm sometimes getting revealed hallways and rooms near the entrance as if a scout procced (but without the animation) when I first go into a dungeon. I've also seen this happen on a stream. It started happening a couple patches ago. Is this a bug?
Not a bug, it appears to be a sort of critical success of sorts. Scouting is checked at the start of a mission but normally you fail it and start with nothing revealed. With high enough Scouting and luck, it will reveal some rooms before you even deploy.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
You know, this milk run to pass time isn't spicy enough, time to see how rough the Shambler actually is.

Well it's certainly stressful, but I appear to be on top of things. Wish I could kill those tentacles faster, though...

I guess two virtues out of four isn't so bad...
This party is not up to snuff. My plague doctor can only stun the shambler some of the time, and my vestal can in no way keep up with the absurd amount of damage. I guess this wasn't the dungeon to experiment with riposte, the DOTs mean that my MaA's prot buffs are only somewhat useful.

Yes! Somehow killed the big guy without losing anyone, all I need now is to whittle away the little guys.

Oh.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Wait, why did the patch actually de-level people? I was already having problems trying to run champion dungeons while low on gold, and now the few guys I got through a successful run have been bumped back down to level 5. hosed both ways.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

Wait, why did the patch actually de-level people? I was already having problems trying to run champion dungeons while low on gold, and now the few guys I got through a successful run have been bumped back down to level 5. hosed both ways.

I think that rather than changing the rate at which XP is gained, they just changed the level cutoffs.

Also, gently caress the stupid cannon. gently caress it so much. Is there some kind of -Prot debuff I can stack on it? because it's just not fun to chip away at it for 30 loving turns before I finally get 3 misses in a row and die.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, one room, one room before I am about to fight the Siren, and the Collector shows up and head-murders my Occultist.

Ah well, the loot I had before I ran screaming into the night was pretty good at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Snak posted:

I think that rather than changing the rate at which XP is gained, they just changed the level cutoffs.

Also, gently caress the stupid cannon. gently caress it so much. Is there some kind of -Prot debuff I can stack on it? because it's just not fun to chip away at it for 30 loving turns before I finally get 3 misses in a row and die.

The houndmaster's whistle is the only -PROT in the game (that I can remember offhand at least). Even then, the cannon has massive debuff resistance as well as DoT resistances. You just gotta bring heavy hitters and high-chance critters.