Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Electromax posted:

Replaying FF9 and I just got to Lindblum. Brings back the warm fuzzies - this game would probably be on the short list of "fictional worlds I'd like to live in if I'm ever in a coma" or whatever.

Except I guess for the part where they let a ton of wild animals loose to apparently terrorize children who don't go inside during the hunt festival. Good thing I was here to save your stupid asses. The other place I remember being pretty cool was Treno, hopefully that's coming up before too long.

Ragtime City is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Varance posted:

Not to mention he's throwing around Ultima like it's nothing.

(That's what the blue orb attack is.)

FFT Ultima is garbage though

To have true accuracy with the games it needs to be barely better than Throw Stone

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ragtime City is cool.

Treno is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MarsDragon posted:

FFT Ultima is garbage though

To have true accuracy with the games it needs to be barely better than Throw Stone

IIRC Ultima has a multiplier between 2nd and 3rd tier elemental spells, but uses less MP and casts really fast. It's not going to be real impressive if you use it while geared for PA, but if you use it as a secondary on a Wizard or something it'd be pretty powerful.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally picked up Type-0. Anything I should be aware of/watching out for? I know the plot mostly comes in the second playthrough.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

IIRC Ultima has a multiplier between 2nd and 3rd tier elemental spells, but uses less MP and casts really fast. It's not going to be real impressive if you use it while geared for PA, but if you use it as a secondary on a Wizard or something it'd be pretty powerful.

I'm no expert at Tactics, but "weaker than -aga" seems like a hard sell regardless for a spell you can't get until Limberry. If speed is a concern, Ramza hasn't been shouting enough that battle. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 5, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think I might be fully sold on FFXIV now, I had a lot of fun doing the first dungeon just with some random dudes. I think I'll buy the full version as soon as I've got some extra cash to throw around. Also a USB keyboard so it doesn't take forever to tell my party members stuff with the PS4 controller.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm no expert at Tactics, but "weaker than -aga" seems like a hard sell regardless for a spell you can't get until Limberry. If speed is a concern, Ramza hasn't been shouting enough that battle. :v:

Casting speed is completely independent of the caster's speed stat. Which yeah, is pretty helpful since around Chapter 4 is when casting speed starts to be a pretty big deal and the -ja spells in particular take almost a full turn to cast IIRC.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh right, charge times. :doh: Hence the disclaimer. :downs:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Last Celebration posted:

Casting speed is completely independent of the caster's speed stat. Which yeah, is pretty helpful since around Chapter 4 is when casting speed starts to be a pretty big deal and the -ja spells in particular take almost a full turn to cast IIRC.

Some spells, notably the -ja spells and high level summons like Bahamut, can take longer than a full turn. Interesting thing about charge times, Matsuno has claimed they weren't part of their original design and were a performance concession. But I consider them a happy accident because they made spells more interesting to use. Also wondering if Matsuno is being a little dishonest here or if they really added spell charge time to pre-process the graphical effects.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Some spells, notably the -ja spells and high level summons like Bahamut, can take longer than a full turn. Interesting thing about charge times, Matsuno has claimed they weren't part of their original design and were a performance concession. But I consider them a happy accident because they made spells more interesting to use. Also wondering if Matsuno is being a little dishonest here or if they really added spell charge time to pre-process the graphical effects.

Yeah, for me lack of charge times is what really made the FFTA games seem simple and boring. There was very little need to plan ahead when you didn't have to think about what would go off when and where.

AlphaKretin posted:

The -ara magic was my bread-and-butter set of spells all the way through most of the game. Of course, it helps that they could be easily elementally boosted, but still. The higher level spells' charge times tended to get too long to rely on them as much.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

OK, the wiki is being absolutely no help whatsoever, can anyone tell me which jobs benefit from Belias in 12 IZJS, or link me to a useful resource so I don't have to bug the thread 13 times? :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chaotic Flame posted:

Finally picked up Type-0. Anything I should be aware of/watching out for? I know the plot mostly comes in the second playthrough.

Upgrade your dodging-related skills (there's quite a few) for all the characters you intend to control directly. Always bring a long range attacker and a healer. Don't worry about missing school events (green exclamation marks) but try to get as many as possible.

Also, master the death mark as best as you can because it will serve you well and upgrade thunder magic as much as possible because most bosses are weak to it.

e: oh, and try to rotate your team as much as possible. You'll want everyone at about the same level.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 5, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

OK, the wiki is being absolutely no help whatsoever, can anyone tell me which jobs benefit from Belias in 12 IZJS, or link me to a useful resource so I don't have to bug the thread 13 times? :v:

I'll post my ancient thread again. It goes over jobs, abilities locked behind espers, and character stats: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/52876031

Belias does not have a lot going on. The only worthwhile one is Libra on Samurai, and a Potion Lore for Knights I guess.
Belias
- Archer: None
- Black Mage: None
- Breaker: Horology
- Hunter: None
- Knight: Potion Lore 1
- Machinist: None
- Monk: None
- Red Mage: None
- Samurai: Libra
- Time Mage: None
- Uhlan: None
- White Mage: None

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

I'll post my ancient thread again. It goes over jobs, abilities locked behind espers, and character stats: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/52876031
Sweet, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

quote:

Belias does not have a lot going on. The only worthwhile one is Libra on Samurai, and a Potion Lore for Knights I guess.
Belias
- Archer: None
- Black Mage: None
- Breaker: Horology
- Hunter: None
- Knight: Potion Lore 1
- Machinist: None
- Monk: None
- Red Mage: None
- Samurai: Libra
- Time Mage: None
- Uhlan: None
- White Mage: None
Well that's poo poo. And of those three jobs, all I have is a Breaker I never use on account of being Fran. :v:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Saoshyant posted:

Upgrade your dodging-related skills (there's quite a few) for all the characters you intend to control directly. Always bring a long range attacker and a healer. Don't worry about missing school events (green exclamation marks) but try to get as many as possible.

Also, master the death mark as best as you can because it will serve you well and upgrade thunder magic as much as possible because most bosses are weak to it.

e: oh, and try to rotate your team as much as possible. You'll want everyone at about the same level.

Thanks! I'm realizing dodging is super important.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saoshyant posted:

Can you grind, or is EXP a closed environment?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
If you want to waste some time cheat at the arena with special training by setting your clock forward a day

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The White Dragon posted:

Can you grind, or is EXP a closed environment?

Oh, at any time. You can repeat every mission (on different difficulties which scale enemy levels) or walk about on the world map. I just mentioned it's better to rotate party members to avoid any need for grinding when the time comes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, for me lack of charge times is what really made the FFTA games seem simple and boring. There was very little need to plan ahead when you didn't have to think about what would go off when and where.

I feel the opposite. The long charge times basically made the more powerful spells useless, unless you mathed them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

Cast times are irrelevant when the Math skill exists.

bloodychill posted:

It's questionable considering the fact that math skills can let you hit every single unit in a single act (speed 6, use CT/4 on your first turn).

Plus if he didn't plan to have a charge time system then what the hell would Archers have had for skills? Would Jump have been instant as well? If they added charge time as a preprocessing thing then it didn't help much considering how badly big effects lagged anyways.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I found a program that lets you edit Final Fantasy XII IZJS saves, which I used to enable Weak Mode (no EXP gain.)
I like it, its fun and challenging.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I feel the opposite. The long charge times basically made the more powerful spells useless, unless you mathed them.

Yeah, it kinda did, but the cast time system in general required more active thought. "Is my healing spell going to go off before that enemy Charge ability kills my guy?" "Should I use a charging ability against this boss, or is it better to just go hit him because he's charging a spell and takes bonus damage?" "Will this enemy move before my ability goes off?" "If I focus this AoE attack on the enemy unit, will it go off before my fighter has to engage them in melee range and be hit with friendly fire?" etc. etc. These are all tactical decisions that are totally missing when you take out charge times.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they added charge time as a preprocessing thing then it didn't help much considering how badly big effects lagged anyways.

It's hard to not get lag with that many particles, especially on an ancient thing like a PS1. I can buy it on a certain level, though, you don't wanna load too much unused garbage into the RAM. Though when you put it that way, like re Calculators? poo poo man, it makes even more sense. Which spells can they not cast? -ja, summons, anything with more effects and individual sprites than usual.

Adding CT to jump was just a balance concession. Tactics Advance has instant jumps, after all.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, it kinda did, but the cast time system in general required more active thought. "Is my healing spell going to go off before that enemy Charge ability kills my guy?"

the answer is, you should've used a chemist :unsmigghh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, it kinda did, but the cast time system in general required more active thought. "Is my healing spell going to go off before that enemy Charge ability kills my guy?" "Should I use a charging ability against this boss, or is it better to just go hit him because he's charging a spell and takes bonus damage?" "Will this enemy move before my ability goes off?" "If I focus this AoE attack on the enemy unit, will it go off before my fighter has to engage them in melee range and be hit with friendly fire?" etc. etc. These are all tactical decisions that are totally missing when you take out charge times.

The problem was that the answer to all those questions was usually no, just use instant abilities.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

It's hard to not get lag with that many particles, especially on an ancient thing like a PS1. I can buy it on a certain level, though, you don't wanna load too much unused garbage into the RAM. Though when you put it that way, like re Calculators? poo poo man, it makes even more sense. Which spells can they not cast? -ja, summons, anything with more effects and individual sprites than usual.

They can't use sumons but the -ja spells are the biggest spell effects they can't use. Holy has plenty of effect to it. Especially when it's hitting a dozen or so targets one after the other.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So guess who's got two thumbs and a copy of FF Explorers. This guy. Hopefully it'll be fun as everyone touts it to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

So guess who's got two thumbs and a copy of FF Explorers. This guy. Hopefully it'll be fun as everyone touts it to be.

It's a fun game. It's not particularly deep but you punch a lot of dudes until shinies pop out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's kind of trivial since in most cases you can look at the turn order and see when that spell or ability will be activated. There are a few abilities where it doesn't work (I think Jump is one of them maybe?) but generally you'll know when the effect will go off and can adjust your tactics accordingly.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mega64 posted:

It's kind of trivial since in most cases you can look at the turn order and see when that spell or ability will be activated. There are a few abilities where it doesn't work (I think Jump is one of them maybe?) but generally you'll know when the effect will go off and can adjust your tactics accordingly.

Well yeah, I wouldn't enjoy it if I had to do all the math myself. But that extra step of actually having to plan ahead and think about how things will play out has a big impact on how fun and engaging I find the gameplay. Even if you don't use charging abilities, the enemies do, and it's still something that you should give some thought to.

Or you can just use nothing but calculators and 03 faith punch art ninjas; whatever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The moral is FFT has so many loving ways to break it that it freaking gives you a unit that could very well solo the rest of the game and he's still not in the top 10 most broken strategies. This is a game where you can cast Holy on the entire field for free (and heal your entire party with it) and make every female character essentially immortal. The game is held together with duct tape and what l.i.t.t.l.e.m.o.n.e.y they had to work with.

It's kind of a miracle the game stands up as well as it does.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's a fun game. It's not particularly deep but you punch a lot of dudes until shinies pop out.

So I can't break a monster's face open to get a shot at some rare item, right? Or cut a monster's tail off to make a better weapon?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

widespread posted:

So I can't break a monster's face open to get a shot at some rare item, right? Or cut a monster's tail off to make a better weapon?

correct. The game is more a beat-em-up than a monster hunter clone. Also it's really really easy and boss hitboxes are weird.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If you've ever thought to yourself "I'm really in the mood for Monster Hunter but I don't want to do all the work involved with playing Monster Hunter", Explorers is the game for you. It's not particularly revolutionary or new or anything but it's good fun anyways. Also you can shoot comets out of the sky with a pistol.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Countblanc posted:

correct. The game is more a beat-em-up than a monster hunter clone. Also it's really really easy and boss hitboxes are weird.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you've ever thought to yourself "I'm really in the mood for Monster Hunter but I don't want to do all the work involved with playing Monster Hunter", Explorers is the game for you. It's not particularly revolutionary or new or anything but it's good fun anyways. Also you can shoot comets out of the sky with a pistol.

I see, I see. Now, is there anything I should know before I go staple about twenty hides to my torso armor? What about these atmaliths I got somehow?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gear progressively gets better as you unlock more stuff to make but in the end everything upgrades to around the same endgame stat levels. You are completely fine with unupgraded stuff for quite awhile though, so wait until you find a set that you just love the looks of. As well, once you get to 5* missions you'll be able to unlock the mastery quests for jobs, which gives you access to making the job's unique armor set, some of which look pretty great.

Atmaliths are used to for several purposes, they can be turned into monster companions you can take along with you on offline missions and many of them are also used in accessory recipes. They are a bit rare to drop, but once you've made 20 monsters in total you'll unlock Beastmaster which makes farming them quick and painless.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Electromax posted:

Replaying FF9 and I just got to Lindblum. Brings back the warm fuzzies - this game would probably be on the short list of "fictional worlds I'd like to live in if I'm ever in a coma" or whatever.

Except I guess for the part where they let a ton of wild animals loose to apparently terrorize children who don't go inside during the hunt festival. Good thing I was here to save your stupid asses. The other place I remember being pretty cool was Treno, hopefully that's coming up before too long.

Lol Treno is like lovely rich people and shittier poor people.

Daguerro is the best place. Wet old library full of weirdos and books and killer dragons. Probably smoke mad weed all day in Daguerro.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hadn't heard of this World of Final Fantasy game until someone mentioned it in the thread, but I had a poke around and I'm really looking forward to it now. It looks like Pokemon but with Final Fantasy monsters basically. But it looks like its got enough of its own ideas that it should be different enough. Wait, no, thinking about it, it looks a lot like XIII-2 actually. But with more of a monster focus maybe? It'll look very nice at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The mechanics WoF has with monster stacking is really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

you know if you press the left or right button on your action menu itll give u a list of turns and when the enemy charging actions will execute