Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

My apologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I prefer female vocals in my metal, but I tend toward that 70's throwback doom anyway so it's a good fit and I acknowledge it's not everyone's cup of tea. If I wanted, say, more female-fronted traditional heavy metal I might be in trouble, unless I was okay with assembly line one-rung-from-dad-rock bands like Halestorm.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shab posted:

I prefer female vocals in my metal, but I tend toward that 70's throwback doom anyway so it's a good fit and I acknowledge it's not everyone's cup of tea. If I wanted, say, more female-fronted traditional heavy metal I might be in trouble, unless I was okay with assembly line one-rung-from-dad-rock bands like Halestorm.

You could listen to Chastain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNk-kLq-_3A

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Honestly though, I agree with this. I would like more metal bands with more women in them where it isn't a "thing". Take Huntress for example. Nobody would pay attention to them if it weren't for their singer. Their music is very run of the mill, but she makes it "marketable".

Aside from Unleash the Archers, Royal Thunder, or a few of those 70's throwback bands like Witch Mountain, I really can't think of any others that make good music without tons of cleavage or thigh high boots.

Gonna be a lazy boner and just quote a post I made one of the last time women-fronted metal came up. Also should add SubRosa to that list.
https://subrosausa.bandcamp.com/album/no-help-for-the-mighty-ones

There's is and has always been women involved in making great metal, and if you don't know that, you're either ignorant or being an rear end and not giving it a chance because "girls can't metal!".

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Thanks, really enjoyed this. For the record I wasn't implying there aren't good female-fronted bands in that genre only that it's not rife with shining examples like some others.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

A human heart posted:

There's lots actually, it sounds like you(and obviously the guy who wrote that article) just haven't looked very far.

Well here's the thing: you're right. I don't actively seek out female metal. I just listen to what I consider "good music" and I don't care who is screaming / playing and instrument. Alot of the bands listed in response to my post are very good but not easy to find unless you're actively searching for it.

Vintersorg posted:

Just make good music - who gives a poo poo where the words are being barfed up from.

This guy gets it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, the metal that you listen to quantifies your worth as a human. If you don't listen to what the group identifies as the most brutal and authentic metal you're literally the worst person in history.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

xzzy posted:

Nope, the metal that you listen to quantifies your worth as a human. If you don't listen to what the group identifies as the most brutal and authentic metal you're literally the worst person in history.
Sometimes I get that vibe from this thread and feel like an outcast when I can't get into the brutal slamming goredeath or whatever someone raves about.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Shab posted:

Crystal Viper?

There's a lot of good female-fronted metal bands - both death metal groups like Abnormality and Estuary, and obviously power metal. Yeah, a lot of female-fronted power metal uses that awful pseudo-operatic style because of Tarja, but it's not all riffless operatic crap. For instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs4qhQCgdhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZVOeTPhgnQ
I could gush about this band for days to be fair but :eyepop: that bass :eyepop:
Japan makes a ton of amazing power metal, both male and female-fronted, but Light Bringer are the cream of the crop imo, and Fuki's vocal skill has a lot to do with it.

Outside of Japan, Triosphere's vocalist is really great, even if I think they're instrumentally too generic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuman7EDNk

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

symbolic posted:

Sometimes I get that vibe from this thread and feel like an outcast when I can't get into the brutal slamming goredeath or whatever someone raves about.

I can't really get into brutal death metal but I really love slam, it's odd. Probably because your average slam song is way more groovy-sounding than your average brutal death song.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In general if you stick to clicking bandcamp and youtube links and ignore all the chat, it's fine. Just sample the music and if it doesn't work for you, move on. :buddy:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Metal is in large part rooted in adolescent male power fantasies and that's always going to alienate a lot of women. Rap has a similar, but somewhat more complex problem.

Honestly pretty much every corner of the popular music world has a problem with women in some form or another. Though as far as I know there's no lady in a metal band stuck in a lovely situation like Kesha and Dr. Luke.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

a retard posted:

I can't really get into brutal death metal but I really love slam, it's odd. Probably because your average slam song is way more groovy-sounding than your average brutal death song.

I'd argue that the point of brutal death metal (at least the style Suffocation pioneered) is that it's so full of twists and turns that you don't have catchy riffs to remember, like with more conventional death metal. So it shouldn't be approached like it's "regular death metal but more brutal". Well-done brutal DM is labyrinthine controlled chaos, which still has a smooth flow of tension and release. The fact that it's generally very atonal means that listening to a bunch of BDM can be a really tiring and monotonous experience, but I do think there's bands in the genre who have interesting melodic styles. Kronos are probably a good starter in that respect since they write explicitly melodic riffs while still having the weird transitions and time changes typical to brutal DM.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had no idea Cumbeast finally put out a new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyZVfm9Lm1M

e: also good BDM despite the stupid name

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would've thought that when an overweight black woman called Arethra Franklin became world famous for being amazingly talented and singing awesome songs that it would've shown that if your music is good enough and you perform it well enough, nobody gives a poo poo what you are.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

For instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs4qhQCgdhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZVOeTPhgnQ
I could gush about this band for days to be fair but :eyepop: that bass :eyepop:
Japan makes a ton of amazing power metal, both male and female-fronted, but Light Bringer are the cream of the crop imo, and Fuki's vocal skill has a lot to do with it.

How can you listen to this? I can't even understand the lyrics! :corsair: :ironicat:

realpost: Thanks for the intro to Light Bringer, this kicks rear end.
edit. Speaking of Fuki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2z4Uf9Tgc :psypop: God drat Japan, I don't know what to think any more.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 6, 2016

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Any time :japan:

I posted more stuff from the J-power scene in my Japanese music megathread if you're curious - since it's such a big scene there's obviously a bunch of good bands I forgot to mention, like Albion (another all-female act) and Jormungand (trance synths alert).

And yeah DOLL$BOXX are great, Fuki's also in a Touhou cover band if those two weren't enough...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H13 posted:

I would've thought that when an overweight black woman called Arethra Franklin became world famous for being amazingly talented and singing awesome songs that it would've shown that if your music is good enough and you perform it well enough, nobody gives a poo poo what you are.
Billy Corgan rose to success with a face for radio and a voice for magazines and now he looks like that guy from Lost

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Re: female metal artists, I think Kat Katz' vox are amazing- her tracks on Pig Destroyer's latest album were some of my favorites and the new Agoraphobic Nosebleed EP is getting spun like a top in my house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBngZL0gfec

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

Metal hasn't even made significant headway on it's problem with loving nazis, so I wouldn't hold my breath about it's problems with sexism going away

What exactly is metal going to do about Nazis?

Go crash Hot Shower? They're already trying.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fatherdog posted:

Metal hasn't even made significant headway on it's problem with loving nazis, so I wouldn't hold my breath about it's problems with sexism going away

Remember that time Phil Anselmo "jokingly" threw a Nazi salute in a recent high-profile incident with solid proof for anyone to access online and the silence was deafening? I mean, I had it on good authority that the silence was deafening from, like, 20 different journalists/articles and a overhyped youtube video that were all jerking off about their bravery in condemning it in a year and place that isn't 1930's Germany.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

Remember that time Phil Anselmo "jokingly" threw a Nazi salute in a recent high-profile incident with solid proof for anyone to access online and the silence was deafening? I mean, I had it on good authority that the silence was deafening from, like, 20 different journalists/articles and a overhyped youtube video that were all jerking off about their bravery in condemning it in a year and place that isn't 1930's Germany.

Just because people made a stink about Phil doesn't mean it's not widely accepted. How many metal musicians wear Burzum shirts in publicity photos?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

I don't know. How many?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

To be fair, most power metal vocalists sing in the soprano range so they would be interchangeable with females.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Omnikin posted:

Re: female metal artists, I think Kat Katz' vox are amazing- her tracks on Pig Destroyer's latest album were some of my favorites and the new Agoraphobic Nosebleed EP is getting spun like a top in my house

She really needs to something with Steve Austin.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just because people made a stink about Phil doesn't mean it's not widely accepted. How many metal musicians wear Burzum shirts in publicity photos?

lol seriously, it's SO WIDELY ACCEPTED for bands to be openly horrible in the metal scene and still have plenty of people buying their music.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't know. How many?

Too many.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, lol at people trying to claim that Nazism isn't a problem in a genre where NSBM is common enough to have it's own category.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Also, lol at people trying to claim that Nazism isn't a problem in a genre where NSBM is common enough to have it's own category.

Mhm, remember when Skrewdriver was as successful as Metallica in the U.S. or Nightwish in Europe?

Phil has a larger audience and is getting rightfully slammed. You can create whatever obscure subgenre you want until there's a law against Nazis picking up guitars altogether.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Mhm, remember when Skrewdriver was as successful as Metallica in the U.S. or Nightwish in Europe?

Phil has a larger audience and is getting rightfully slammed. You can create whatever obscure subgenre you want until there's a law against Nazis picking up guitars altogether.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about how NS hiphop and NS trance and NS dubstep are all accepted categories listed on fan websites for those genres. Yeah, it's only obscure subgenres, metal definitely doesn't have a nazi problem.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

e: hitting eject button

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

i'd listen the gently caress out of this

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The fact that Down's losing gigs left and right over Phil's shenanigans shows there's a limit to the racist stuff in metal that actually brings in money.

The 1200 one man bedroom NSBM projects from Eastern Europe that might put out 50 copies of their demo tape will remain unaffected.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Given that the majority of black metal bands and fans are at the very least sympathetic to far right ideas if not actually far right, how do you propose to resolve this problem?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about how NS hiphop and NS trance and NS dubstep are all accepted categories listed on fan websites for those genres.

:same:

Nazi punk doesn't exist and you shouldn't bother asking the industrial thread about neofolk because that doesn't exist either. There's nothing anyone can do (or needs to do) about racists with home studios.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nazi punk doesn't exist and you shouldn't bother asking the industrial thread about neofolk because that doesn't exist either. There's nothing anyone can do (or needs to do) about racists with home studios.
Nazi punk is one thing, but martial industrial and neofolk, despite being scenes with relatively large numbers of Nazi activists and sympathizers, aren't literally labeled "NS martial industrial" and "NS neofolk" in album bins the way that we talk about NSBM. It indicates a completely different level of indifference towards the ideology.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I dunno guys we all like Satan a lot so liking Hitler doesn't actually seem that bad by comparison maybe?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Also good thing we had a 'girls in metal' tangent because it allowed me to learn about Sacrliege, which I'm digging the hell out of, thanks man.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Vulture Culture posted:

Nazi punk is one thing, but martial industrial and neofolk, despite being scenes with relatively large numbers of Nazi activists and sympathizers, aren't literally labeled "NS martial industrial" and "NS neofolk" in album bins the way that we talk about NSBM. It indicates a completely different level of indifference towards the ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Oh good, it has been at least two years since we last had the nazi talk in the metal thread. It was just as boring back then.

NSBM is a small subset of black metal and is labelled as such to keep it away from the other black metal.

The fact that it exists doesn't mean that the "metal scene" (whatever you might think that is) all think that its a great idea to have explicitly neo-nazi metal around. But the thing is, there is no big centralised metal scene that can take collective action. It just doesn't exist and all these people looking at it from the outside and calling to action are completely missing that part of it.

Industrial Martial is at this point, basically just a codeword for "neo-nazi" and its a bit like the RAC bands in the 80s that were really more about white power than about being anti-communist. The only difference is that the guys in the NSBM bands don't actually care that people know about their ideology.

In death metal you have a band like Arghoslent who write songs about historical racism and then hide behind the historical aspect when people call them racists. Bands like M8L8TH, Nokturnal Mortum and guys Rob Darken and Varg don't give a poo poo what people think and as such don't hide anything.

There is no way to get rid of these bands since there will always be labels willing to release their albums and there will always be people willing to buy them.