Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Posigniat posted:

Running Orks look like a lot of fun and that terrain looks incredible. I've been hanging around the flgs for a few months now and I've yet to see a single person field them though. Are Orks a very underplayed race like the Dark Eldar or is this just an abnormal shop?

The terrain at my club is really good; we have a section of our website about it but nobody's taken the time to photograph any of it unfortunately.

Orks are underplayed right now because they're not especially competitive. That being said, lots of people have Ork armies because they were the bee's knees in 5th edition and before. There are still a lot out there, they're just not seeing as much table time. Not being able to assault of vehicles that move 12", not being able to assault out of reserves, overwatch and the general shift towards shooting, and a lot of not so good changes to the Ork codex have made them not a terribly favorable army to run. That being said I still had a lot of fun, and the units I field work relatively well in this edition, at least for Orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:yosbutt:

Looks like someone has been working out.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

That butt is too round to be a GW sculpt. Where my square-butts at?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So we had a conversion contest based around the Kataphron robot dudes and they were judged last night. Unfortunately one guy left his at home and the fifth contestant was a no show, but there's some cool conversions for y'all:
In first place was my conversion, Mutoid Mek:

In second place was Ron's Rootin' Tootin' Big Gun Lootin' Ork Blast Master!

Third place was Brad's Nurgley dude:

And a non-contestant was Jack's ADAM (Automated Data Collection Modulator) Scooter - he was running the contest so he couldn't take home a prize, but I really dug it:

I got to take home a squad of Cataphractii Terminators for winning!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

SRM posted:

So we had a conversion contest based around the Kataphron robot dudes and they were judged last night. Unfortunately one guy left his at home and the fifth contestant was a no show, but there's some cool conversions for y'all:
In first place was my conversion, Mutoid Mek:

In second place was Ron's Rootin' Tootin' Big Gun Lootin' Ork Blast Master!

Third place was Brad's Nurgley dude:

And a non-contestant was Jack's ADAM (Automated Data Collection Modulator) Scooter - he was running the contest so he couldn't take home a prize, but I really dug it:

I got to take home a squad of Cataphractii Terminators for winning!

The people at your club have been playing too much Quake II. I like tank meks.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm trying my hand at making concrete slab bases using cork, and here is how my test base turned out. Anyone have any tips? I based it in eshin grey, put a coat of agrax earthshade, then drybrushed dawnstone. They turned out ok, but it seems kinda blah.

Maybe add a few dead shrubs or something? Anyone have any advice?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Try drybrushing other areas with other greys, and using washes over other parts too. It needs a little more variety in tone. Also drybrushing it, especially around the edges, with colors that are earthy will make the edges look dirty and dusty. Basically you've got a good start and need to drybrush it more colors in more places.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Poke some paper clips into the cracked edges and snip them off short, paint em to look like rusted rebar and paint some rust staining around them

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So like 8 years ago, a friend of mine built a Chaos Rhino and just left it at my house. I figured he wasn't missing it, so I beat the hell out of it and looted it! I'll be using it as a trukk in games of 40k, but I wanted to get at least one looted Rhino in the army because I like the look so much.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love the space ork driving the rhino through a giant gently caress off hole in the front armor.

There has been some seriously dope poo poo being posted by goons latey, goddamn.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Mind walking us through this SRM? It's great and I'd like to know what you did.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So I have a StormTalon assembled and primed, how do I paint the canopy glass?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What I've seen once was they painted the inside side of the canopy black, so you could still see through the outside. It gave the effect of opaque glass very well.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I mean the glass has been sprayed with prime as well. Should I just leave it black or is there a good way to make it look like it is reflecting light or something?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Wulfen are apparently $50USD for 5. Will be flying off the shelves I'm sure.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Warhammer world is incredibly busy. My friends reserved Thunderhawk wasn't reserved. A manager had to be found to dig one out. Woo GW. :shepspends:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lord Twisted posted:

You aren't wrong, sadly.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The two-box, no-discount bundle is called the 'Murderpack'... surely Someone at GW must realise that's become a running joke by now (With the joke on GW)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

With those rules they'll be sold in a jiffy if anything.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2016

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Posigniat posted:

Running Orks look like a lot of fun and that terrain looks incredible. I've been hanging around the flgs for a few months now and I've yet to see a single person field them though. Are Orks a very underplayed race like the Dark Eldar or is this just an abnormal shop?

Orks are a shitton of fun, but are really overcosted for what they can do, especially given the power creep on new models. Check this comparison:

Ork Nob w/ Power Klaw: move & run 6+d6", 4 S9 AP2 attacks at WS4 on the charge at I 1, 2W, LD7 & hit themselves if they fail it, 43 points.

Wulfen w/ axe thing: move & run 6(possibly 12)+2d6", 5 S10 AP2 attacks at WS5 on the charge at I5, 2W, LD8, boatloads of beneficial special rules (Counter-attack, FNP, ATSKNF) including a buff-bubble for comrades, 38 points.

So you can see that a few armies can now do what Orks are supposed to do, but better and for cheaper, points-wise. It's really demoralizing, tbh. If you play with some chill folks who don't WAAC it up, you can have a good time, but the above is fairly typical levels of cost:power level comparison nowadays.

But if Wolf Wolfson and his Fangtooth Icefrost Wolfclaws can get 2 updates in one edition, maybe so can :orks101:

Yes, I know CSM need it more. Shut up.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 6, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Don't feel to bad about how broke those Wulfen are compared to Nobs they make anything look like a joke in combat. Terminators fall in the same place.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Speaking of close combat, I am so ready for the eventual Dark Eldar Apology DLC codex.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
40k needs a hard reset. Power the thing down, wait 10 seconds to clear out the poo poo, and power it back on.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Don't feel to bad about how broke those Wulfen are compared to Nobs they make anything look like a joke in combat. Terminators fall in the same place.

Wulfen are so good they make Blood Claws within 12" make everything else look like a joke in combat

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

LordAba posted:

40k needs a hard reset. Power the thing down, wait 10 seconds to clear out the poo poo, and power it back on.

That's what we said about WHFB and...

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

MasterSlowPoke posted:

.. nothing of value was lost.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Fantasy needed two very specific fixes (magic and steadfast) to work okay and the last couple of army books were about as balanced as GW can get. 40k has wildly different power levels and rules mixed up in codex/campaign/IA/web exclusives.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Meh, if GW wants to the player-base to moderate their broken rules then that is how it will be. Leave the game balancing for the big tournaments, but any organizer worth his salt is going to see these, and at least call you out for being a bit of douche. Multiple Strength 10 AP 2 at initiative 5 attacks would be heinous of one wound models with a save of 6+ for these prices. I don't imagine this is going to change my day to day game experience basically.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

$60USD for 5. I had to triple check and make sure I wasn't on the Australian site.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Snollygoster posted:

Speaking of close combat, I am so ready for the eventual Dark Eldar Apology DLC codex.

They already have, back in 2003.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

To be honest I'd want to see how 40k would work with an AoS rule set. Just to see how it would play out.
Would I want it to replace the current one like what happened with Fantasy? Nope.
Would I want the two to somehow exist side by side? Yes that would be nice.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Almost finished with my first scouts that I fully painted, they aren't awful but I'm a bit disappointed.

I forgot to trim the mold lines, and I'm not to happy with how the faces and khakis turned out. When I get the insignias on their shoulder pads I'll post a final but I feel my attempt to make the sergeant black did not work well...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is going on? 60 bucks for new minis? Where are the rules, in the 74 dollar book? Does it have the rest of the space wolf rules? Is the Codex: Space Wolves book the latest for everything? What are Echoes of War missions? Are the new daemons coming in there own codex, or do I need to buy War Zone Fenris: Curse of the Wulfen?

I'm too old for this poo poo, I'm 3 days from retirement, I'm a loose cannon but damnit I get results.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LordAba posted:

What the gently caress is going on? 60 bucks for new minis? Where are the rules, in the 74 dollar book? Does it have the rest of the space wolf rules? Is the Codex: Space Wolves book the latest for everything? What are Echoes of War missions? Are the new daemons coming in there own codex, or do I need to buy War Zone Fenris: Curse of the Wulfen?

I'm too old for this poo poo, I'm 3 days from retirement, I'm a loose cannon but damnit I get results.

A: new gw release. apparently. yes. just the new ones. there's a new wulfen edition of codex sw with everything. campaign-specific narrative missions. and no, this is extra stuff for the old daemon codex.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

LordAba posted:

7th Ed isn't the 40k we need but it's the 40k we deserve, now wheres that smilie who shits on the ground and rolls around in it

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just want to say that I've been playing Blood Bowl on my buddies PS4 lately, and holy gently caress it's addicting (and also exactly like the game but with no books or paper!)

That is all.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

A: new gw release. apparently. yes. just the new ones. there's a new wulfen edition of codex sw with everything. campaign-specific narrative missions. and no, this is extra stuff for the old daemon codex.

So, no changes to the daemon (only additions)? That kind of sucks... hopefully they remake some of the slaanesh daemons soon since the scorpion tail ones are fairly hard to find unless you want the exact same pose. Some of the chariots could use a rework as well, though they aren't as bad.

It also kind of lame that they release new models and will release the codex later (unless you drop a lot of cash on a missions book).

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Uroboros posted:

Almost finished with my first scouts that I fully painted, they aren't awful but I'm a bit disappointed.

I forgot to trim the mold lines, and I'm not to happy with how the faces and khakis turned out. When I get the insignias on their shoulder pads I'll post a final but I feel my attempt to make the sergeant black did not work well...

Mold lines contain the souls of the miniatures.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

LordAba posted:

It also kind of lame that they release new models and will release the codex later (unless you drop a lot of cash on a missions book).

As a generic/Ultramarine Space Marine player is there anything I should own outside of the main codex? Is there some formation supplement I should have that contains more Marine stuff I'm not aware of that isn't chapter specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uroboros posted:

As a generic/Ultramarine Space Marine player is there anything I should own outside of the main codex? Is there some formation supplement I should have that contains more Marine stuff I'm not aware of that isn't chapter specific?

I'm sure there are some generic formations in some of the books, plus the web specific stuff that you can only get by buying the formations. Though I think most of those are sold out, except for the one in the starter box.

• Locked thread