Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I installed the ASIO4ALL drivers to get rid of any latency problems. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

uXs posted:

I installed the ASIO4ALL drivers to get rid of any latency problems. Works great.

This also worked for me when I suffered the same issue awhile back.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Has anybody used an Akai APC Key 25? Wondering about overall impressions and especially curious about how the Live integration works. How easy is it, for example, to jump to a different track and have the knobs smart mapped to a device on that track? How are the keys? I mostly want something for sitting on the couch and noodling with basslines, or to throw in my DJ bag for laptop jams.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find any help online. I am using Kontakt Funk Bass and need to do a pitch bend, but I cannot figure out how to increase the pitch bend range. I know if I was running an Analog, I can manage the range in the synth so not sure what to do here. If there is a better way to automate a sound like a slide on a fret-less bass, that would be great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find any help online. I am using Kontakt Funk Bass and need to do a pitch bend, but I cannot figure out how to increase the pitch bend range. I know if I was running an Analog, I can manage the range in the synth so not sure what to do here. If there is a better way to automate a sound like a slide on a fret-less bass, that would be great.

Are you talking about one of those Scarbee funk bass libraries? IIRC most of them are set up by default so that if you hold down the sustain pedal you slide from note to note, which sounds a bit more realistic than pitch bending.

If you want to tweak the pitch bend range and there's no setting for that in the library's own GUI then you'll have to go into its innards and add a pitch bend modulator in the Group Editor thingy, for which you can also set its range. I don't recommend spending too much time messing around with the innards of Kontakt libraries though, it'll make you go blind.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I don't recommend spending too much time messing around with the innards of Kontakt libraries though, it'll make you go blind.

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
Live 9.6 released: https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/live-9-release-notes/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Here's what I want in Live 9.7: an update procedure that doesn't require me to download a gigabyte .exe every time that I have to reinstall manually

also, sandboxing

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Earwicker posted:

Are you talking about one of those Scarbee funk bass libraries? IIRC most of them are set up by default so that if you hold down the sustain pedal you slide from note to note, which sounds a bit more realistic than pitch bending.

If you want to tweak the pitch bend range and there's no setting for that in the library's own GUI then you'll have to go into its innards and add a pitch bend modulator in the Group Editor thingy, for which you can also set its range. I don't recommend spending too much time messing around with the innards of Kontakt libraries though, it'll make you go blind.

I'm using the free version of Kontakt and just found an instrument called "Funk Bass" that I used in the VST. I don't see any option for sustain in the instrument rack but this is my first time using Kontakt so I'm probably noobing it up. It's hard to believe that something as simple as emulating a slide on a bass could be so problematic.

On another bass note, I am looking for a technique to get the sub bass to throb a little bit. I feel like no matter what I do in the operator with Sin waves, it comes out too smooth. Yes I realize that's what a sin wave does but was led to believe that for sub bass, you should only use sin waves.

Again, sorry for some of these noobie questions but I usually give up after about an hour or two searching for tutorial videos.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MrSargent posted:

I'm using the free version of Kontakt and just found an instrument called "Funk Bass" that I used in the VST. I don't see any option for sustain in the instrument rack but this is my first time using Kontakt so I'm probably noobing it up. It's hard to believe that something as simple as emulating a slide on a bass could be so problematic.

Click on the "Options" tab at the bottom of the patch, below the woodgrain.

On the Options page, turn the PB (pitch bend) RANGE DOWN knob to the left and the the PB RANGE UP knob to the right. This lets you bend up and down with the pitch bend wheel, but it'll sound more like a string bend or tremolo (whammy bar) dive than a slide. The thing about guitar/bass/etc. (or most any real world instrument) is that there is a lot of possible playing technique, fingerstyle vs picked vs funk slaps etc., there's not really a way to capture all of that other than to sample the instrument a bunch of different ways.

MrSargent posted:

On another bass note, I am looking for a technique to get the sub bass to throb a little bit. I feel like no matter what I do in the operator with Sin waves, it comes out too smooth. Yes I realize that's what a sin wave does but was led to believe that for sub bass, you should only use sin waves.

Maybe detune one oscillator by ~7 cents or so?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

quote:

Click on the "Options" tab at the bottom of the patch, below the woodgrain.

On the Options page, turn the PB (pitch bend) RANGE DOWN knob to the left and the the PB RANGE UP knob to the right. This lets you bend up and down with the pitch bend wheel, but it'll sound more like a string bend or tremolo (whammy bar) dive than a slide. The thing about guitar/bass/etc. (or most any real world instrument) is that there is a lot of possible playing technique, fingerstyle vs picked vs funk slaps etc., there's not really a way to capture all of that other than to sample the instrument a bunch of different ways.

Thanks so much! And your comment about technique and play-style makes a lot of sense and I like the idea of sampling to get that sound. For sampling instruments, do I just need a quality mic and an interface to record through? I'm sure there is a lot to be said for having the right acoustics, but not much I can do there. My in-laws have a little music room with some quality equipment that is now collecting dust and I am hoping to grab one of their nice mics for sampling/recording.

quote:

Maybe detune one oscillator by ~7 cents or so?

Why didn't I think of that? I use detuning frequently on my synths but for some reason didn't think to try it out on the sub bass. Thanks a lot for the help.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

h_double posted:

The thing about guitar/bass/etc. (or most any real world instrument) is that there is a lot of possible playing technique, fingerstyle vs picked vs funk slaps etc., there's not really a way to capture all of that other than to sample the instrument a bunch of different ways.

that's exactly what the better kontakt bass libraries do, the scarbee libraries (mm-bass, jay-bass, rickenbacker) contain a bunch of different articulations and styles and there are even higher end ones out there. some of them even include a bunch of different preamp and amp simulators as well

if you can afford them I'd just go that route rather than sampling your own because making your own instrument sample library is very tedious.

I've done a bit of it with field recordings of industrial/street noises and that sort of thing but if you are doing it with a real instrument, to make it sound really good and realistic you have to sample every individual note, in fact recording multiple hits of that note so you can round robin them, then do that all over again in every single style of bass playing you want to have available, as well as with any different settings coming from the bass itself (i.e. if you are switching from one pickup to another) then deal with keyswitching and layers and all that stuff. I mean I guess its an interesting exercise but it takes so long it'll be a while before you're actually playing anything.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 4, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
For sub bass run a single square, saw or triangle wave through a low pass filter set to a very low frequency, that'll give it more body than just a sine, then very subtle LFO. Check your spectrum to make sure your main bass isn't hogging similar frequencies and possibly causing phase issues.

Or run your sine through a bit of overdrive to slightly grit it up before an autofilter afterwards.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

MrSargent posted:

Thanks so much! And your comment about technique and play-style makes a lot of sense and I like the idea of sampling to get that sound. For sampling instruments, do I just need a quality mic and an interface to record through?

Yeah. If you want to get into field recordings also, you could start with a portable recorder, like this one - this specific one can also be used as a 2 in / 2 out audio interface.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Urgh, can anyone tell me how to set up my Axiom Pro with Ableton Live so that I can map the pads to things like tap tempo, trigger clips, etc., but have it send something other than note data - MIDI CC messages maybe? Is that I want? I'm finding the manual horrendously confusing and not being overly familiar with either Ableton or MIDI terminology in general is not helping. It seems like it can be done but I'm not overly sure how.

My basic aim is to be able to play synths with my band, switch between instruments, sync wobbles and stuff with the tempo by tapping it, and occasionally maybe trigger a drum loop or sample. I guess my best bet would be to turn off HyperControl altoghether and map everything manually?

By the way, I know that playing to a click would be much easier than tapping the tempo, but the whole band seem pretty resistant to this idea, and I don't think our beatboxer (we don't have a drummer) would be very good at it. Plus we have quick a few tempo/time signature changes.

I'm thinking of getting launchpad with the aim of just using User Mode 2 to make all this mapping stuff easier, would that be a good idea/work/make this any easier?

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 5, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
e: wrong thread!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I'm actually in a similar situation, during practice we don't have the gear to give everyone a click track so I'm basically always scrambling to keep Ableton in sync with our drummer.

My current solution is to stick to pads and such that it isn't so important that they be perfectly in time when putting down loops, and just play more timing-sensitive stuff live.

I'm on a Push, which has a tap tempo button at least, but I'm considering getting a separate controller for tempo bend so that I have more options to keep in time. I'd like to get to use more than two instruments at a time, maybe launch more clips than play live, but that isn't going to happen as long as I can't rely on being close to in time.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I'm willing to make similar allowances. For now I really just want to know how to set the goddamn Axiom up so that the pads send something other than note data! I know it can be done, as the manual says it can be done, but I can't find the bit where it says *how* it can be done.

I've had this thing for bloody years and I've never quite got my head around using it properly. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a launchpad, it seems like it would be a lot easier to configure. Then I can just ditch the pads and use the Axiom for actually playing on, and using the rotary encoders, which I can at least work out how to use properly.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Why do you want them to send CC so much? idgi.

As for how, youtube helped me with my zero sl mkii.

Launchpad is nice, and the pads there are a lot more useful for just triggering stuff - I've always had issues with getting drumpads to trigger right on my equipment. If you don't need all the new fancy features, I bet you could get a 1st gen one for cheap. Mine has crashed in the past, but never while actually playing, only when editing the MIDI settings in Live or when I hosed around with it (like sending it 64 notes).

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

chippy posted:

Yeah, I'm willing to make similar allowances. For now I really just want to know how to set the goddamn Axiom up so that the pads send something other than note data! I know it can be done, as the manual says it can be done, but I can't find the bit where it says *how* it can be done.

I've had this thing for bloody years and I've never quite got my head around using it properly. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a launchpad, it seems like it would be a lot easier to configure. Then I can just ditch the pads and use the Axiom for actually playing on, and using the rotary encoders, which I can at least work out how to use properly.

I bought an axiom pro 49 about 4 years ago and it's been a long, slow realization that I made a big mistake.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

colonp posted:

Why do you want them to send CC so much? idgi.

Well, at first it was because I couldn't work out how to map notes to the things I wanted, Ableton seemed to ignore them when I was trying to set the mappings. Then I realised I needed to turn on Remote in the MIDI settings, but then I found when I was playing piano parts, I kept hitting keys that I had mapped to other stuff, which is very annoying. I suppose I could remap the pads to send really low notes or something, something I'm unlikely to want to play, if that's even possible? Or get it to send them on a different channel or something? You'd think the combination of being a musician and a software developer would make MIDI fairly easy for me to understand but no, it confuses the poo poo out of me.

quote:

As for how, youtube helped me with my zero sl mkii.

Launchpad is nice, and the pads there are a lot more useful for just triggering stuff - I've always had issues with getting drumpads to trigger right on my equipment. If you don't need all the new fancy features, I bet you could get a 1st gen one for cheap. Mine has crashed in the past, but never while actually playing, only when editing the MIDI settings in Live or when I hosed around with it (like sending it 64 notes).

It does look like it'd be really useful. I've actually got enough in Amazon gift vouchers to get a Mk II, and I'm really tempted. In part just for the copy of Live Lite, as my trial is going to run out really soon anyway. Unless there's a better way of getting it? I kind of like the idea of getting into finger drumming though, so I keep wondering if I should put in the extra to get a Pro with velocity sensitive pads. Although I suppose there's always the pads on the Axiom for that! ;)

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I bought an axiom pro 49 about 4 years ago and it's been a long, slow realization that I made a big mistake.

Yeah I've always struggled with it. It never worked that well for me with Cubase either.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

chippy posted:

I suppose I could remap the pads to send really low notes or something, something I'm unlikely to want to play, if that's even possible? Or get it to send them on a different channel or something? You'd think the combination of being a musician and a software developer would make MIDI fairly easy for me to understand but no, it confuses the poo poo out of me.

Remapping to MIDI CC makes total sense for your purpose, I sorta just meant that you don't really HAVE TO do it that way. I am pretty much certain that all your solutions are possible - you just gotta figure out how to setup the Axiom. Check out page 30 and page 35 of the manual.

I don't think it's MIDI so much that's confusing. I have an older Axiom (ie. nonpro) and I honestly couldn't tell you how to remap stuff etc. without heavily consulting the manual. Aand, it was a massive head ache to try to actually get to know the thing back when I tried. With that said, it took me years to actually realise what a neat little piece of equipment my Zero SLMkII is.

chippy posted:

I've actually got enough in Amazon gift vouchers to get a Mk II, and I'm really tempted. In part just for the copy of Live Lite, as my trial is going to run out really soon anyway. Unless there's a better way of getting it? I kind of like the idea of getting into finger drumming though, so I keep wondering if I should put in the extra to get a Pro with velocity sensitive pads. Although I suppose there's always the pads on the Axiom for that! ;)

The Launchpad Mk II seems really nice. I haven't seen or felt how it plays myself, but from the feature list it seems like a great upgrade to the launchpad.

I have an old Live Lite (probably Live 8) you can get for 20€/$22. Someone here might even give you one for free. It should make the upgrade to Live Standard 50€ cheaper (= 299€ total), so I'm not really willing to part with it for free.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
If you're going to get into finger drumming, and you're already bought into Live, I can't recommend the Push enough.

Though if you want really good finger drumming pads, something like a Maschine (with its much larger pads) might also be the way to go.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dessert Rose posted:

If you're going to get into finger drumming, and you're already bought into Live, I can't recommend the Push enough.

The Push looks amazing but it's way out of my budget, sadly

Thanks for your input everyone, I ended up using my Amazon credit to get a Launchpad. Set it up and had a very brief play yesterday and it seems awesome, but all I did was fiddle about with the demo session so far. I look forward to having some fun with it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

chippy posted:

The Push looks amazing but it's way out of my budget, sadly

Thanks for your input everyone, I ended up using my Amazon credit to get a Launchpad. Set it up and had a very brief play yesterday and it seems awesome, but all I did was fiddle about with the demo session so far. I look forward to having some fun with it.

The launchpad is a nice little tool, but it's pretty simplistic on its own. Getting something like LPC Live for a couple bucks can really take it to the next level. Turning it into a step sequencer and using it as a DAW interface is a lot of fun.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That looks pretty cool, thanks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo the APC40 mk 2 is really hard to beat as an ableton controller, I find the sliders and knobs are a big advantage over the Launchpad and Push especially when it comes to live performance. I have a Push and sometimes use it for composing at home but it feels rather limited in comparison to the APC

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Say I have two midi clips in one track in arrangement view. They're labeled A and B. They play A, B, A, B, A, B etc.

Is it possible to have it so that every time I make a change to A, every other instance of A updates to match? Right now I'm copy-pasting the updated A over the other As, which feels a bit inefficient.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Popcorn posted:

Say I have two midi clips in one track in arrangement view. They're labeled A and B. They play A, B, A, B, A, B etc.

Is it possible to have it so that every time I make a change to A, every other instance of A updates to match? Right now I'm copy-pasting the updated A over the other As, which feels a bit inefficient.

Change the clip trigger mode and have each play the other, so you only have one version of each to play.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Unless posted:

Change the clip trigger mode and have each play the other, so you only have one version of each to play.

Thanks!

Uh... I've been using Ableton for years and I have no idea what this means (I guess I'm pretty stuck in my ways). I googled "clip trigger mode" but it seems like this could refer to a bunch of different things, none of which I know about. Could you explain some more?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Clip triggering is not available in arrangement mode. What you need to do is join one instance each of A and B together (select, then Ctrl-J, or whatever the equivalent on a mac is if you have too much money), and loop that clip over the time you want to cover.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

wayfinder posted:

Clip triggering is not available in arrangement mode. What you need to do is join one instance each of A and B together (select, then Ctrl-J, or whatever the equivalent on a mac is if you have too much money), and loop that clip over the time you want to cover.

Aye... but that doesn't really solve my problem when I have, for example, a song that goes A, B, A, A , B, B, C, D, E, blah blah. I guess you just can't do what I want to do, oh well.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
True, but that wasn't what you asked for ;)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I was trying to keep my example simple. :(

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Sorry for speculating on this from a coffee shop, but could you create a midi track that triggers the clips, rather than placing the clips themselves in the arrangement?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any quick and easy way to sync up my Ableton User Library and VSTs between two machines?

I'm guessing the answer is 'yes' for the former, but I doubt there's a solution for the latter other than manually installing your plugins on both machines.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Popcorn posted:

Aye... but that doesn't really solve my problem when I have, for example, a song that goes A, B, A, A , B, B, C, D, E, blah blah. I guess you just can't do what I want to do, oh well.

Ableton's an instrument in clip arrangement, otherwise you gotta make it play what you want to hear in arrangement.

JVNO posted:

Is there any quick and easy way to sync up my Ableton User Library and VSTs between two machines?

I'm guessing the answer is 'yes' for the former, but I doubt there's a solution for the latter other than manually installing your plugins on both machines.

Clone your drive, some plugins might tie their registration to hardware IDs, worth a shot considering the install time and attention.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'm having a hard time figuring out why my launchpad S won't work with my new laptop. I have been mainly using a keyboard as a midi controller with live but wanted to give the launchpad another go after learning a lot more. I had no problems using it on my old Lenovo so not sure what the issue is.

It shows up in my device manager, and shows up as input/output devices in Midi Preferences control surfaces. I turned Remote and Track on for the Midi Port in/out.

But the Launchpad doesn't light up and I'm not getting any signal when I hit a button. I looked online and referred to the install steps and I don't think I'm missing anything. The launchpad s doesn't require any drivers as far as I know.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

What kind of laptop? Any indication that there's power going to the launchpad? Do you have a different usb port you can try? Do you have another cable?

Sorry to ask the super basics, but I want to rule out the silly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Along the same lines, did you select it as a control surface in the top part of the window as well as turning on the remote, sync etc. channels? I only ask because you say it showed up as a control service but you didn't explicitly say you set it as one. Do you have access to the laptop it's working on still? You could do a side-by-side comparison of the setup screens.

Also, I don't know if the Launchpad starts up in the mode it was last in, but I don't think anything lights up in User 1 or User 2 mode.