Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I have all classes to 80 and, 3 years later, constantly waver on which to main. So good luck! It really is a great game though, despite the thread's recent bitchiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

3 years later and I still only play Ranger

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Eltoasto posted:

I have all classes to 80 and, 3 years later, constantly waver on which to main. So good luck! It really is a great game though, despite the thread's recent bitchiness.

That's how I feel and I can only pick two classes, well I did make a second account, so I technically I can pick from 4 now. I'm thinking Ranger, Elementalist, and either a Rogue or Engineer. Although a Warlock with all the minions sounds fun...

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Polegrinder posted:

That's how I feel and I can only pick two classes, well I did make a second account, so I technically I can pick from 4 now. I'm thinking Ranger, Elementalist, and either a Rogue or Engineer. Although a Warlock with all the minions sounds fun...

You probably don't want to have two accounts, as a massive amount of stuff is shared account-wide across all of your characters. You'd have to do a lot of things twice (once for each account) if you go this route. If you want more characters, just pony up the :10bux: for another slot. It'll seriously be worth it.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Why would you ever play ranger?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I too enjoy rogue and warlock in Guild Wars Two.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Polegrinder posted:

When you get to 80, if you really like the game still, Heart of Thorns is worth picking up if you can find it for ~35 bucks and will bump you up to 5 character slots. And you'll keep any character slots you buy in the meanwhile (which are worth getting)

Also it's Necromancer, not Warlock (though Necros often play very similarly to locks. Lotsa CC lotsa debuffs lotsa pets)

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
soooo it looks like my laptop is on the verge of dying permanently. I wont be able to play again until i can afford a new one. Sorry all :<

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PartyCrown posted:

soooo it looks like my laptop is on the verge of dying permanently. I wont be able to play again until i can afford a new one. Sorry all :<

I forgive you :911:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

warrior and necro are both solid classes with good traits

mesmer also has pretty good traits, and portals

guardian has poo poo traits

revenant has one trait

engineer has a lot of traits

ignore other classes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

but i'm a thief and I can go zippity zippity zip

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

zippity zippity zip into the dumpster where thieves belong maybe :colbert:

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Dreggon posted:

warrior and necro are both solid classes with good traits

mesmer also has pretty good traits, and portals

guardian has poo poo traits

revenant has one trait

engineer has a lot of traits

ignore other classes

Yeah I think I'm gonna make a Necro next. If I'm still digging on the game around level 30-40 I'll probably pick up the HoT expansion. What all does te expansion unlock? I noticed Amazon has the base game on sale for like $25. I don't need to buy that, right?

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Hail squishface

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

voltcatfish posted:

Its ok nobody ever listens to Dreggon anyway.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna make a Necro next. If I'm still digging on the game around level 30-40 I'll probably pick up the HoT expansion. What all does te expansion unlock? I noticed Amazon has the base game on sale for like $25. I don't need to buy that, right?

Until 80? Nothing but the Revenant class (which is fun). At 80 it's necessary to continue experience progression unless you just feel like loving around in the vanilla game forever (which is also fun).

Also the base game is 100% free. The box isn't but it's totally useless at this point.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Polegrinder posted:

base game is a scam at this point because it's free anyway

expansion unlocks elite specs, which are overpowered and more fun

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

You'll also get a bunch (3?) of extra character slots if you buy HoT, as well as access to some things that F2P are restricted from. Full details here, but you can ignore the core GW2 option, that's just what people who originally bought the base GW2 game but haven't bought HoT yet have. New players have just the free or HoT account types available.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I thought you always got 5 character slots from the base game? I've always had that many and never actually filled them up.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Pretty sure much the new f2p version of vanilla GW2 only gives a couple character slots

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

buying the base game, at least the box copy, should get you all the normal character slots and paid account perks from the getgo. i don't see why it wouldn't.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah it looks like buying GW2 will unlock 3 more slots, but for $50 you get the expansion and everything the base game would unlock as well. So in a couple weeks I guess I'll be buying the HoT expac.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah there's no reason not to get the expansion copy at this point. even if a lot of it is lategame stuff the pricing has been shifted around and it's lumped into the main purchase.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks to all the goons that helped me figure out AR earlier. I have enough to the 21-50 tier and I still have gold so I guess that's a success.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

ItBurns posted:

Thanks to all the goons that helped me figure out AR earlier. I have enough to the 21-50 tier and I still have gold so I guess that's a success.

Get more so you can run champs.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
I'm thinking about trying this game out this weekend. What's a good class to play if I like hitting things with swords but casting spells too?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

knowonecanknow posted:

Get more so you can run champs.

ok

Rye Bread posted:

I'm thinking about trying this game out this weekend. What's a good class to play if I like hitting things with swords but casting spells too?

warlock

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Or rogue

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Rye Bread posted:

mesmer.

or necro's elite spec, which you have to unlock once you reach 80. there's also guardian, if you want tanky instead of deepsy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

technically this game ascribes to the 'everyone is kinda magical in their own way, just some express it differently by yelling loudly or something instead of shooting fireballs' train of thought

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

mike12345 posted:

mesmer.

or necro's elite spec, which you have to unlock once you reach 80. there's also guardian, if you want tanky instead of deepsy.

Unfortunately it turns out that Guardian is probably the 3rd best raid dps in the game, if you're allergic to doing large amounts of damage. (yeah it doesnt include reaper stacking horrors on sabetha but that's really more of a niche case)

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Terrace pass and silvermatic on the gem store.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Rye Bread posted:

Guardian is also super cool and good with just the base game if you don't want to spend the money on the expansion. I actually haven't played Dragonhunter all that much because I like the old pre-HoT builds so much. Dragonhunter is of course better though so you're not limiting yourself either. vvv

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Unfortunately it turns out that Guardian is probably the 3rd best raid dps in the game, if you're allergic to doing large amounts of damage. (yeah it doesnt include reaper stacking horrors on sabetha but that's really more of a niche case)

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
Hey I'm new to GW2 but I like it a lot so far. A friend and I have been playing and we both recently hit level 40. I was wondering what the most active goon group for the game is? Hit me up in-game at Nightwolf.7394

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No.Mercy posted:

Hey I'm new to GW2 but I like it a lot so far. A friend and I have been playing and we both recently hit level 40. I was wondering what the most active goon group for the game is? Hit me up in-game at Nightwolf.7394

Read the OP.

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
Which one is the best one though? I can't make decisions like these.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

No.Mercy posted:

Join both, see who you like most. Or maybe you like both and are active in both and that's cool too. Pretty sure HoT hype has died and basically most hype towards the game in general so there should be plenty of space in both guilds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No.Mercy posted:

What mesmer asura said, just join both. You can be in multiple guilds in GW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Join none, gently caress the system.

• Locked thread