Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I mean it was a frantic moment and I wasn't paying attention just kind of firing and hoping he'd stop doing what he was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Take your dakka gimmick builds to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPZklbFCOA

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I mean it was a frantic moment and I wasn't paying attention just kind of firing and hoping he'd stop doing what he was doing.

Catapults mount their missiles very high. So if the guy was of equal height or less to your cockpit, you may have been firing your SRMs over their head accidentally. Sometimes do the same thing myself in my Warhammer.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Endbuster posted:

Take your dakka gimmick builds to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPZklbFCOA

You know what must be done

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Why do 4xAC5 on a basicīd Jager with a tooltip heat of "1" build 10% heat per shot?
What is the heat treshhold of a mech, can i read that somewhere?

Edit: my heat ratio is 1.51/2, i thought i should be safe with that

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 5, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why do 4xAC5 on a basicīd Jager with a tooltip heat of "1" build 10% heat per shot?

That gives you almost 200 damage before you overheat. It's not bad!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This game doesn't deserve you, bro.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why do 4xAC5 on a basic´d Jager with a tooltip heat of "1" build 10% heat per shot?

2/2 is safeish, but 1.51 is a very easy to manage level of heat accumulation. You just need to get a feel for how heat works. The heat system can be quite punishing in this game.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

A.o.D. posted:

2/2 is safeish, but 1.51 is a very easy to manage level of heat accumulation. You just need to get a feel for how heat works. The heat system can be quite punishing in this game.

To add to this, you aren't expected to run completely cool. Managing your heat without overheating, knowing when to back off and reposition/duck behind cover and use the time to cool off is expected. You'll never be able to shoot enemies 100% of the time, and balancing a build with a lot of upfront heat (and damage) with the need to maintain fire and DPS over time is part of the design process. 1.51 runs very cool; you won't be able to fire indefinitely but you could stand and fire your weapons for a while before you risk overheating and you'll sink the heat you generate relatively quickly when you're not firing.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This concept of "not shooting" confuses me.
My Ostwind has 4 autocannons, how can i "not shoot" at any time?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

This game doesn't deserve you, bro.

:angel:

by the by, here is the build I have been using for my Mauler MX-90, from MetaMechs

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=326&l=31148ee451cd55e98509de362bb55191611aed52

Cool things about this build:

1. You can stare down anything in the game

2. People panic when they see you because you deal out rapid-fire 25-point alphas

3. Five AC/5s makes a cool BOOM BOOM BOOM sound

4. Basically impossible to overheat

5. Reach out and touch someone from about 850m for full damage

6. Mounts are reasonably high

Lame things about this build

1. Oh man it is so slow

2. Like seriously slower than a Dire Wolf. If you hesitate at all you will get your rear end left behind and ruined, and even if you don't hesitate sometimes

3. Is immediately a priority target for everyone who sees it

4. VERY minor structure quirks

Basically you wanna stick at about 500m or so and punish anything that pokes its head out. Lights will have to beware you because you can take out their legs very easily. Great at killing heavies and assaults. Don't brawl with it, try to stick behind Dad or other brawly 'mechs, do lots of damage

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm falling down the rabbit hole and bought the Marauder hero mech. Not really a fan of the one on metamech since I'm more into brawling, so I whipped this one up. Any suggestions or other decent builds?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Stringbean posted:

The Mauler looks fun, but I'm just not a good ballistics guy. Leading my shots isn't the problem, I just never get good damage out. Guess I'm more of a laser/SRM kind of guy...

There are laservomit builds for everything. Just put on 3 LPL and as many mediums as will fit and that works too. I do fine with AC5's even with bad latency.

That Gobbo posted:

I'm falling down the rabbit hole and bought the Marauder hero mech. Not really a fan of the one on metamech since I'm more into brawling, so I whipped this one up. Any suggestions or other decent builds?

I'd do 3 LPL in the arm you shield with the best, on mine I do right arm, and then mediums everywhere else. The ghost heat on LPL is 3 and right now they are probably the best gun in the game. If you want to get into mods then you get mlaser range and lpl cooldown to try to make them match up at least a little better. If you are poo poo at twisting then split up the LPL and put one in the opposite arm.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 5, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Looks like the MAL-2P can make a nice laser boat, I'll be aiming for that.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Why are PPCs so bad, I want them to be good.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Devorum posted:

Why are PPCs so bad, I want them to be good.

I murdered Paul a bunch in early beta with a stock K2. Saw him like 3 games in a row, and cored him 3 games in a row.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I murdered Paul a bunch in early beta with a stock K2. Saw him like 3 games in a row, and cored him 3 games in a row.

reminder that lead designer Paul Inouye has this as his -K2 build

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
MWO is p.much what happens when your lead designer's best qualifications are Asperger's and nostalgia.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked the time when goons rammed him to death, and ramming was removed a few days later.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That Gobbo posted:

If you're into brawling I like the build I run: 7 medium lasers and 1 AC20. Group the Mediums in two groups and the AC in a third. It runs pretty toasty but you can manage the heat pretty well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Talmonis posted:

If you treat it like a Hunchback, it sees you through some nasty brawls. I actually recommend normal medium lasers though, to keep your heat managable. I'm maintaining a 3 to 1 KDR with that build, far higher than my usual poo poo average of .90

Yeah I'm using an standard 300, endo steel, 4 mediums, AC/20, 5 tons of ammo (sometimes too much, sometimes too little depending on the match), some extra heat sinks, ECM (goes without saying really), and maxed-out armour minus a touch on the legs to shave it down to the closest half-ton. Feels good man

It runs hot enough with 4 standard mediums and a bunch of extra heat sinks so I can't imagine being able to use medium pulse lasers for any length of time.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

reminder that lead designer Paul Inouye has this as his -K2 build

Lol that UAC/5 ammo lasts what 5 seconds tops?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Style and coolness aside, are crabs worth it?
Im still very under-mediumīd, and theyre on sale, so...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

yes, they are extremely tough

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I loving love the CRB-27SL, but the rest are way too samey. It's the most expensive variant and comes with jumpjets, double heat sinks, and an xl of some kind. It has half of the structure quirks as the other crabs though. I run mine with two large pulses, three small pulses, and an xl 300 with max armor, max jump jets, and even an AMS plus 1/2 ton of ammo. Pretty sure it has endo and ferro. It is seriously my favorite mech at the moment, but I sold the other two variants I used to basic it out. One has a really high engine cap, but it's not worth it without jump jets.

I fly around like an rear end in a top hat and do a ton of damage steal kills. :pcgaming:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just saw one crab has a max engine of 350, and i have a 340xl from the cicadas...
Ok, i think i will go crabs.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
So number19

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
when is your company going to ban the huge number of people that you acknowledge are cheating in your game

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im still very under-medium´d, and theyre on sale, so...

They're pretty awesome. My Lance mate has had excellent results in his.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I just saw one crab has a max engine of 350, and i have a 340xl from the cicadas...
Ok, i think i will go crabs.

you might could do this, from metamechs

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=331&l=cfabfb234f218bbd4e3d29c655a36f4cfa30483d

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just ran this crab for giggles and it was pretty fun.
Now i have a valid reason to buy lobster red color one day.

Thanks guy

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Banano posted:

when is your company going to ban the huge number of people that you acknowledge are cheating in your game

They will just ban half of 228 nd nkva again and call it a day and let LORD and MS continue to abuse every mechanic possible.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's the build for my insane flying contraption: CRB-27SL
Could I switch out the lasers for five medium pulses, cram in a larger engine, and maybe even drop ferro to fit some more heat sinks? Yes. However, I've found that I have to poke a bunch at 400-ish meters so this build works better for me.

I used to run it with three medium pulses in place of the smalls, but I decided that that was a little too crazy. :shepface:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Here's the build for my insane flying contraption: CRB-27SL
Could I switch out the lasers for five medium pulses, cram in a larger engine, and maybe even drop ferro to fit some more heat sinks? Yes. However, I've found that I have to poke a bunch at 400-ish meters so this build works better for me.

I used to run it with three medium pulses in place of the smalls, but I decided that that was a little too crazy. :shepface:

you could probably cram another large pulse in there if you downgrade the engine/take out AMS

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

you could probably cram another large pulse in there if you downgrade the engine/take out AMS

Nah, the speed is a pretty big part of the robot. A slow crab is a dead crab.

Edit: The AMS is only there because I had a spare ton. I guess I could drop it and upgrade a small pulse to a medium pulse, but whatever.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 6, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, the speed is a pretty big part of the robot. A slow crab is a dead crab.

yeah I hear ya. this loses 7 KPH and a JJ/AMS for the extra LPL, so it may be losing too much defensively

CRB-27SL

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Crabs don't really poke worth a poo poo though, so may as well fill all 5 slots with lasers so you can vomit all over people.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Banano posted:

:eyepoop:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Birdgang, our glorious tour of the Innersphere continues tonight. This week we will be role playing Space Vikings in the FRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

yeah I hear ya. this loses 7 KPH and a JJ/AMS for the extra LPL, so it may be losing too much defensively

CRB-27SL

That's going to run nuclear hot and anyone who sees you knows you'll be running an XL engine to fit those 3 LPLs.

Can't poke because you need to bring your entire mech out of cover because of hardpoint placement and too hot/fragile to brawl.

Fit a STD 280, 5x MPLs and jump jets. The crab is not a pokey mech and you should be brawling to make the best use of it. It rolls damage like a loving champ if you run STD.

• Locked thread