Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I mean Drama is underrated but Going for the One is pretty great. I think the production is a little off and I guess in retrospect you get the vague sense something as horrible as Tormato is lurking around the corner but I play it more than Relayer and Tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

There are no bad songs on GFTO.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Just ran across this band on Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist. They're a really weird combination of prog rock and dark cabaret with a good bit of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum mixed in. You can tell from the circus music overtones that they're Norwegian. They're also really, really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZIME0v3Zo

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 20, 2016

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
So what do people think of the new Dream Theater album The Astonishing?

They're playing 2 nights in LA and performing the album start to finish every show on the tour.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Y2J posted:

Astonishingly mediocre, but not outright terrible.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Y2J posted:

They're playing 2 nights in LA and performing the album start to finish every show on the tour.

I've never laughed harder while listening to music

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Found this on Google Play Music: the answer to the question "what happens when your prog band includes a trumpet player, a sax player, and a singer who sounds a lot like the guy from Coheed and Cambria".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_GQp2R2Hf8

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Y2J posted:

I don't know what they've been going for with this one. Could hardly sit through it. With occasional glimpses of DT circa 1992, it's an overproduced pompous release that hopefully will soon be forgotten. Come to think of it, I can't remember a single song from it already.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Incoherence posted:

Found this on Google Play Music: the answer to the question "what happens when your prog band includes a trumpet player, a sax player, and a singer who sounds a lot like the guy from Coheed and Cambria".

In fact, Coheed took them on tour back in 2014 as their main support band, and Claudio signed them to his record label. I saw them live in 2013 soon after this album came out, and they killed it...one of the highlights of ProgDay that year.

Here's another great [instrumental] track from the album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tW66ra4hU4

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 6, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Y2J posted:

I've listened to it twice and I'm not sure if I want to listen to it a third time or not. It's corny as all hell and if Petrucci said he idea for it came to him through a message from God I would not be entirely surprised.

I haven't got a loving clue what's going on in the story, who any of the characters are, or why anything is happening. The first released track is the only real strong point on the album, imo. Oh, and LaBrie seriously lays on the ham when he's playing Nefaryus. I feel like he knows how stupid the whole thing is.

Petrucci's having visions of post-singularity dystopias from YHWH, Rudess is content with making more music, Mangini is happy not to be teaching rich kids at Berklee, John Myung doesn't give a gently caress, and LaBrie is just milking the poo poo out of the people who still buy Dream Theater albums and is going to ride that bullet train to hell with a poo poo-eating grin on his face.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
And you can't even lament the lack of Portnoy since the decline was well underway by the time he left.

I still haven't listened to a DT album since Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and haven't really enjoyed a DT album since Octavarium. I'm curious, but don't really want to bother outside of the vague sense of obligation I have to bands I used to like.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'll listen to Dream Theater when they put out a single LP record with at least 9 songs on it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

And you can't even lament the lack of Portnoy since the decline was well underway by the time he left.

I still haven't listened to a DT album since Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and haven't really enjoyed a DT album since Octavarium. I'm curious, but don't really want to bother outside of the vague sense of obligation I have to bands I used to like.

I still say A Dramatic Turn of Events has some really strong tracks on it and is overall good.

Besides that they've been boring for a long time, yeah.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Magma are touring the US this spring. Here are the tour dates.

Just got my tickets for the second Chicago show. I am so loving excited right now.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
If you look away from the concept and horrible lyrics, the new DT isn't that bad and gives me a Savatage/TSO feeling in how theatrical it is. It's nothing great, but it's far from being as bad as some people make it out to be. It's not the type of album you come back to a million times though.

I've been revisiting some Neal Morse and Transatlantic recent. Morse has some awesome stuff, but also some really cringe-inducing cheese moments which aren't helped by the christian lyrics. Transatlantic is still fun as hell once in awhile. Watched the More Is Never Enough live DVD and it's a blast.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The Astonishing is pretty much what I expected. A ridiculous, cheesy, overproduced, too long musical soundtrack. It's got some cool riffs and ideas from time to time, but I don't think I'll be listening to it much. It's ok, but nothing special, kind of like most DT releases since probably Six Degrees for me. I think The Gift of Music is a legit good song, but not that much else at this stage.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Yeah I think the Astonishing is just too long. Yes John Petrucci I understand that you are referencing themes but the actually interesting parts of the music are short and far spread apart. I think about half of the music could be cut and it'd be alright. It seems to me that once a song really gets going, they have to cut back to another theme instead of continuing a new point. I think they were trying too hard with the structure, that aspect feels very forced.

I hate to start this potential fight, but they really just need to fire Mike Mangini. He isn't a terrible player or anything but he definitely isn't the right replacement for Mike Portnoy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

I hate to start this potential fight, but they really just need to fire Mike Mangini. He isn't a terrible player or anything but he definitely isn't the right replacement for Mike Portnoy.
I know what you mean, he hits the right things at the right times but there just seems to be no energy to his playing. I'm not sure if this is intrinsic to his playing in the studio, if the last few albums have had really sterile drum production, or some combination of the two. He seems to sound fine in the small handful of live recordings I've heard, but he's absolutely unlistenable on record.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The DT drummer audition videos are a pretty interesting watch if you're interested in that sort of thing. Here's part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ3DMDxdpfM

I'm convinced that they hired Mangini because he seemed like the easiest guy to control creatively and basically just be a yes man.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Vulture Culture posted:

I know what you mean, he hits the right things at the right times but there just seems to be no energy to his playing. I'm not sure if this is intrinsic to his playing in the studio, if the last few albums have had really sterile drum production, or some combination of the two. He seems to sound fine in the small handful of live recordings I've heard, but he's absolutely unlistenable on record.

I agree. While I thought Portnoy's playing was often needlessly complicated and technical, at least it had personality. IMO Mangini's playing lacks that. The drum production really doesn't help. They sound like the drums on ...And Justice For All which isn't a good thing if you ask me.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Mangini's playing is boring and lifeless. I think this is partially because he sits on the beat instead of pushing the tempo like Portnoy did. Also his stupid 80s rack cage thing annoys me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Iucounu posted:

Also his stupid 80s rack cage thing annoys me.
It was a lot funnier when Terry Bozzio did it with Korn

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
According to their Facebook page, Riverside's guitarist, Piotr Grudziński, died today. :( Not sure how.

edit: turned out to be sudden cardiac arrest/natural causes
glad it wasn't suicide. :/

xov fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I've never seen the absolutely amazing video for "Queen of the Reich" before today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0_THrxYs1w

Many Tried To Destroy
The Queen And Failed
Only To Be Absorbed
Into Her Computer

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

xov posted:

According to their Facebook page, Riverside's guitarist, Piotr Grudziński, died today. :( Not sure how.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Reissues, Reunions & Requiems: The Prog Thread

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

xov posted:

That sucks. Prog needs more guitarists capable of emotion and melody, not less.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

gently caress Keith Emerson died. I was never big on ELP but it still sucks :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Possibly Chicken posted:

gently caress Keith Emerson died. I was never big on ELP but it still sucks :(

Whoa

I guess I shouldn't be surprised when a 70's rock star dies. Whoa isn't the right response.

How about : There isn't a sequined cape big enough to cover his memory.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sad news. I love the first few ELP albums and he was a brilliant keyboardist.

BigFactory posted:

How about : There isn't a sequined cape big enough to cover his memory.

You're thinking of Rick Wakeman. Emerson's gimmick was lighting pianos on fire and attacking organs/synths with knives.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

You're thinking of Rick Wakeman. Emerson's gimmick was lighting pianos on fire and attacking organs/synths with knives.
You're totally right. Gotta turn in my gun and badge I think.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I love Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. This is sad news.

Earwicker posted:

That poor organ. Although I hear that once, the person in charge of repairing the sad thing got so fed up with the damage that he reinforced it with steel bars... cue Emerson doing his usual shtick, the organ falling on top of him and pinning him down.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
It was apparently a suicide :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, gunshot to the head. That's disturbing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

He had been diagnosed with cancer a few years ago. Maybe he just got tired of fighting it or realized he couldn't, and took the fast way.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The article I read said he had nerve damage in his left hand and couldn't play and it made him depressed. Sorta the Michael Hutchins deal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, gently caress. Not the way I wanted to start my weekend at all.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
gently caress. Really sad. He probably had the fastest left hand in prog rock keyboarding too.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
https://youtu.be/kcbf8qkAIfY

:(

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm not an ELP fan but I was wayyy more into classic rock than modern music growing up so seeing the old guard all dying off is just a world class bummer. Plus The Nice were pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

:( I grew up on the early ELP albums and Emerson played a huge part in the music and success of the band. RIP.