Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Draft Leavings: The Deck is now 5-0 in Modern.

This is the best Pro Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I need that deck list in my life.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like 50% of this deck is commons and uncommons

I love it

It's also a Blue/Red strategy, which kind of owns.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, you can work in all sorts of normally unplayable poo poo when you you can cast it with two different variants on Mishra's Workshop

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I mean, in function and aesthetic it completely is, so it's not really a misconception?

Yes, the symbol on mana costs and such does allow it to function much like a new color would. But, as we all know, this symbol represents colorless mana, which is not krazzy new wastes mana. People referring to it as such is rooted in all the "DIAMOND MANA!! nEW COLOR!" hyperventilating that occurred when Kozilek and Wastes were leaked. So yeah, I would consider it a misconception when it is just a new representation of something that's always existed.
Of course some people also say things like "I need to pay Forest and swamp for this" so maybe it's just an extension of that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, you can work in all sorts of normally unplayable poo poo when you you can cast it with two different variants on Mishra's Workshop

you mean ancient tomb right

not that your point is incorrect

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

What deck are people talking about? (I'm not actually able to watch coverage at the moment)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Mikujin posted:

What deck are people talking about? (I'm not actually able to watch coverage at the moment)

Jiachen Tao's U/R Eldrazi deck, playing stuff like Ruination Guide, Vile Aggregate, Eldrazi Skyspawner and a full contingent of Drowners of Hope.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 6, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

LSV's saying the Eldrazi deck is the second strongest deck he's played after Caw-Blade. I guess even with some weird creature choices it's still good enough to go 5-0.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Laffo at the cast hinting at splinter twin was keeping these new decks from being a thing.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

LSV's saying the Eldrazi deck is the second strongest deck he's played after Caw-Blade. I guess even with some weird creature choices it's still good enough to go 5-0.

Chalices backed up with super-aggressive large creatures that come out T2/T3 seems really strong.

Blood moon backed up by almost anything still seems strong though since it cuts down on the acceleration a bunch and I'm not sure what they're running to deal with enchantments.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think Blood Moon is as amazing as it looks. As long as they can get a Waste out they'll be able to cast all their creatures a couple of turns later - I'm not convinced you slow them down much more than you slow yourself down by playing a 3 mana enchantment.

Niton posted:

Jiachen Chao's U/R Eldrazi deck, playing stuff like Ruination Guide, Vile Aggregate, Eldrazi Skyspawner and a full contingent of Drowners of Hope.
Current Pro Tour leader Jiachen Chao.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
In fairness, I bet you the two undefeated decks would not by Blue Moon and UR Eldrazi if Twin was legal.

Also, in el-oh-el news Kibler made Day Two after starting 0-4 :allears:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 6, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Niton posted:

Jiachen Tao's U/R Eldrazi deck, playing stuff like Ruination Guide, Vile Aggregate, Eldrazi Skyspawner and a full contingent of Drowners of Hope.

Draft or constructed?

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Draft or constructed?

Constructed! The commentators were making jokes about it being like your typical draft deck

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Draft or constructed?

Constructed. It was just Skyspawners/Drowner of Hope, etc. paired with the usual suspects of Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

Laffo at the cast hinting at splinter twin was keeping these new decks from being a thing.

Angry Grimace posted:

In fairness, I bet you the two undefeated decks would not by Blue Moon and UR Eldrazi if Twin was legal.

You can't even say the format is all aggro - we just watched a midrange UR Eldrazi deck grind out a value deck. While Eye of Ugin is busted as poo poo and is not long for this world, it at least makes for some cool games in the short term rather than one-turn combo kills.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I don't think Blood Moon is as amazing as it looks. As long as they can get a Waste out they'll be able to cast all their creatures a couple of turns later - I'm not convinced you slow them down much more than you slow yourself down by playing a 3 mana enchantment.

That could be true. Seems to be a big advantage of the Endless Ones they run-you're not locked out waiting on a waste if you do see blood moon. Same with the mimic (although those aren't nearly as threatening if you can't drop the full compliment of beaters).

I am kinda surprised there hasn't seemed to be at least some singletons of the larger eldrazi dudes since they can be searched out. Or even something goofy like void winnower.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Current Pro Tour leader Jiachen Chao.

Hey I went to school with that guy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Niton posted:

You can't even say the format is all aggro - we just watched a midrange UR Eldrazi deck grind out a value deck. While Eye of Ugin is busted as poo poo and is not long for this world, it makes for some cool games in the short term.

It's hard to say if eldrazi temple isn't the degenerate in that deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sickening posted:

Certainly not. Temple taps for 2, Eye of Ugin simply gives you 2 for every Eldrazi spell.

Is Chao playing Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Is All is Dust in any of these decks? Seems like it would be pretty brutal against any kind of permanent based deck...

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

In game 3, we saw Eye of Ugin start fetching up Drowners of Hope. The card is a value engine, and even accelerates better than Temple (-2 on multiple spells, vs 2 mana for 1). By comparison, Eldrazi Temple is "just" a really good Ancient Tomb.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 6, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Is All is Dust in any of these decks? Seems like it would be pretty brutal against any kind of permanent based deck...

I doubt any are running more than 1 main because they're so bad in the mirror and also against affinity I guess

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

just rust posted:

Yes, the symbol on mana costs and such does allow it to function much like a new color would. But, as we all know, this symbol represents colorless mana, which is not krazzy new wastes mana. People referring to it as such is rooted in all the "DIAMOND MANA!! nEW COLOR!" hyperventilating that occurred when Kozilek and Wastes were leaked. So yeah, I would consider it a misconception when it is just a new representation of something that's always existed.
Of course some people also say things like "I need to pay Forest and swamp for this" so maybe it's just an extension of that.

Yeah it's just an extension of someone saying forests and swamps for green and black mana, and through that filter it is entirely reasonable to consider it "krazzy new wastes mana" because that's what it is, a cost gimmick designed to accent a colorless-matters / 6th color system that functions completely identically to a 6th color of mana. Colorless and Generic were functionally interchangeable prior to this and now they're not.

Not understanding that newer/casual players do not give a gently caress about the technicalities of how colorless/generic worked before when it had literally no rules / functional bearing is the kind of pedantic poo poo that I see junior game designers struggle with all the time when they want to make wacky edge case designs because they're unable to put themselves out of the "systems master" mindset and into the "user" mindset for a game mechanic, and WotC giving a poo poo about it and acting like it wasn't a big deal/wouldn't be confusing is just a manifestation of that. It was a clumsy implementation to make colorless function like a color, and for all the reasons that WotC thought it was dumb during the Great Designer Search it still is, they've just gotten on board with it because they couldn't figure out a better way to do colorless matters than the clusterfuck design that is BFZ/OOG, because their push for battlecruiser / midrange magic meant that "too expensive to cast normally" was no longer a qualifier because they were sculpting a standard format where you'd hit 6-7-8 mana much more often, so costing 7-8-9 mana was no longer a unique design space but rather a place where they wanted standard to exist.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Limited sample size, but from what we saw today this seems true. There was one game where a player stuck a Blood Moon when he was already facing down 3/3 and 4/4 Endless Ones and just lost, and another where the Eldrazi player Ghost Quartered his own land in response to Moon to fetch a Wastes and just played through it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

alansmithee posted:

That could be true. Seems to be a big advantage of the Endless Ones they run-you're not locked out waiting on a waste if you do see blood moon. Same with the mimic (although those aren't nearly as threatening if you can't drop the full compliment of beaters).

I am kinda surprised there hasn't seemed to be at least some singletons of the larger eldrazi dudes since they can be searched out. Or even something goofy like void winnower.
An Ulamog out of the board may make sense, but these decks mostly seem to want to close out the game by turn 4 or 5 at this point.

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah it's just an extension of someone saying forests and swamps for green and black mana, and through that filter it is entirely reasonable to consider it "krazzy new wastes mana" because that's what it is, a cost gimmick designed to accent a colorless-matters / 6th color system that functions completely identically to a 6th color of mana. Colorless and Generic were functionally interchangeable prior to this and now they're not.

Not understanding that newer/casual players do not give a gently caress about the technicalities of how colorless/generic worked before when it had literally no rules / functional bearing is the kind of pedantic poo poo that I see junior game designers struggle with all the time when they want to make wacky edge case designs because they're unable to put themselves out of the "systems master" mindset and into the "user" mindset for a game mechanic, and WotC giving a poo poo about it and acting like it wasn't a big deal/wouldn't be confusing is just a manifestation of that. It was a clumsy implementation to make colorless function like a color, and for all the reasons that WotC thought it was dumb during the Great Designer Search it still is, they've just gotten on board with it because they couldn't figure out a better way to do colorless matters than the clusterfuck design that is BFZ/OOG, because their push for battlecruiser / midrange magic meant that "too expensive to cast normally" was no longer a qualifier because they were sculpting a standard format where you'd hit 6-7-8 mana much more often, so costing 7-8-9 mana was no longer a unique design space but rather a place where they wanted standard to exist.
Lol

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 6, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

An Ulamog out of the board may make sense, but these decks mostly seem to want to close out the game by turn 4 or 5 at this point..

Yeah that's more what I was thinking, something for those times when stuff is grindy and just halts. Like in the U/R version, it was getting to be somewhat of a stalemate and dude used Eye to get another Drowner. He ended up winning, but it was close vs. just getting Ulamog, wiping the 2 biggest threats, and closing the game out in a turn or so. You probably are right though about them not wanting it main though, since they seem to be a lot more aggro and wanting to drop multiples in the mid/late game vs. just singles of large dudes.

Also it seemed most of the eldrazi decks were still running relics, even without all the processor stuff which I found interesting. Also Endless One was putting in some serious work it seemed which I didn't really expect. Does seem to be the extra bit that mimics need to become powerhouses.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 6, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah, these Eldrazi decks seem entirely different than the BW midrange versions with Ulamog and O-sower. It was the right move if people came with Tron hate against you. You don't need to worry about Moon out when you should already be winning by turn 3-4, and Quarters just let you fetch Wastes.

I want to know if they are running 4 eye or not. But I could see them banning eye sooner rather than later.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 6, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

From now on every January set will break modern.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah, these Eldrazi decks seem entirely different than the BW midrange versions with Ulamog and O-sower. It was the right move if people came with Tron hate against you. You don't need to worry about Moon out when you should already be winning by turn 3-4, and Quarters just let you fetch Wastes.

I want to know if they are running 4 eye or not. But I could see them banning eye sooner rather than later.

I would assume most of them are on 3 Eye because Eye is awesome but the second one is just a total blank whereas temples and poo poo are live all day.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I doubt any are running more than 1 main because they're so bad in the mirror and also against affinity I guess

Feels like it would be a really great Board card in certain matchups (read: not Tron, Affinity, Mirror) like Abzan or the Collected Company decks where board stalls happen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So my local regionals already has 240 signed up as of noon today. Holy poo poo.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

400 here in Chicago as of last night. Fuuuuck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Ours is run at one of the biggest game stores anywhere, its still going to be loving crazy tomorrow.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

I think the chicago one is already capped at 400 people. The final 50 spots went up for sale on the 3rd @ 7pm and are long gone on the website.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bugsy posted:

I think the chicago one is already capped at 400 people. The final 50 spots went up for sale on the 3rd @ 7pm and are long gone on the website.

Texas is notorious for getting more people to show up the day off than preregister. I would figure people might get turned away tomorrow.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Namaste, brother. It's okay you don't like it and I won't yell at anyone for calling it diamond mana or wastes mana or anything else really. I understand why people would do that and it's totally fine. Everything will be alright.

What's not okay is all these diamond eldrazi cards and lands ruining the modern format that Wizards so carefully sculpted with their shrewd banning decisions!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Texas is notorious for getting more people to show up the day off than preregister. I would figure people might get turned away tomorrow.

Thats what happened to me last time so I learned my lesson and preregistered.

ShaneB posted:

Going to be fun I hope. And at least there is a sealed PPTQ in the afternoon in case I scrub out (quite likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

just rust posted:

What's not okay is all these diamond eldrazi cards and lands ruining the modern format that Wizards so carefully sculpted with their shrewd banning decisions!
This PT owns so far.

• Locked thread