Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I never read the annotations and I never will and I do not at all feel bad about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's like... a whole chapter in there. Also the list of films is the funniest thing in the book, but whatever.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blue squares posted:

Of course by reading it on an ebook with convenient hyperlinks you'll be compromising Wallace's vision BUT I GUESS NO ONE CARES ABOUT ART ANYMORE
Did Wallace even explain when and how we're supposed to read the footnotes? There's a number of instances where one note refers to another hundreds of footnotes later and thus hundreds of pages later. I just read every footnote as I came to it and went back.

I hope somebody asked back when he was hanging around.

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's like... a whole chapter in there. Also the list of films is the funniest thing in the book, but whatever.
It wasn't that funny. Although you may still be right.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Did Wallace even explain when and how we're supposed to read the footnotes? There's a number of instances where one note refers to another hundreds of footnotes later and thus hundreds of pages later. I just read every footnote as I came to it and went back.

I hope somebody asked back when he was hanging around.

He's definitely talked about why, and without relistening to the whole rhing, I'm pretty sure it's in this interview.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There's an Audible version of Infinite Jest. How does that work, I wonder.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never read the annotations and I never will and I do not at all feel bad about that

So edgy intentionally missing out on a huge chunk of the story

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

hope and vaseline posted:

So edgy intentionally missing out on a huge chunk of the story

I am not gonna stop every few sentences to turn 900 pages to the back of the book to find the right annotation

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have one word for you: two bookmarks

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not gonna stop every few sentences to turn 900 pages to the back of the book to find the right annotation

Maybe you don't deserve to read the bad dull book then!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Maybe you don't deserve to read the bad dull book then!

stop trying to inject Calvino into every discussion

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I have one word for you: two bookmarks

it still breaks up the flow.

When I read I get into a deep state of flow and if I have to break it to keep flipping back and forth I am gonna have an unpleasant experience and its also going to take loving forever to finish

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah! You tell them! One page at a time, or gently caress it.

gently caress artistic intent, added depth, world building and added humor! My book, my way.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that's actually the point, apparently

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah! You tell them! One page at a time, or gently caress it.

gently caress artistic intent, added depth, world building and added humor! My book, my way.

Mel is all about the reader's authority. Come argue about this in the loving Child thread! (I'm serious, we love to discuss stuff like this)

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I gave up on Infinite Jest a few years ago. I'll try again it again, when it's available as a brain implant, or a suppository.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Saying that the reader can read the book any way they want to doesn't seem like the most insane judgement in the world to me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

My book, my way.

Yes this is actually exactly how it works and has always worked

Tell you what, go read Hopscotch by Cortazar the way "the author intended"

I will wait.

EDIT: Also lol, I am missing out on "world building." Oh no, not WORLD BUILDING.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 4, 2016

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When I read I get into a deep state of flow and if I have to break it to keep flipping back and forth I am gonna have an unpleasant experience and its also going to take loving forever to finish

Read House of Leaves! Sounds right up your alley! You'll LOVE IT.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

Read House of Leaves! Sounds right up your alley! You'll LOVE IT.

whoa House of Leaves I haven't heard of that can I get Amazon to deliver it to the rock I am clearly living under

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
More like dearth of the author, am i rite?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nakar posted:

I used two bookmarks.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I think the last bookmark I used was some kind of glittery rainbow monstrosity covered in unicorns. Picking out bookmarks as a kid was almost as much fun as picking out books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

buy a deck of cards

52 durable bookmarks for cheap

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

One of the places I used to buy used books from would put random scraps of paper in as bookmarks. Usually like handwiritten recipes, but one time it was a gay cartoon. I wonder if I still have it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Presumably that was not done by the bookshop itself, but from the various previous owners. Unless by place you mean somebody's house.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a small collection of pictures I have found left in books as bookmarks from thrift stores and used bookstores. They're kinda spooky.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr. Squishy posted:

Presumably that was not done by the bookshop itself, but from the various previous owners. Unless by place you mean somebody's house.

I always assumed it was the shop because literally everything I got there had one (and often from the same "series", ie same handwriting), and I don't remember getting them anyplace else.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

How odd. I guess that makes sense.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
It sounds like by purchasing those precise books you intercepted coded messages between spies.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Horny gay spies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

It sounds like by purchasing those precise books you intercepted coded messages between spies.

Isn't that more or less the plot to Mr. Penumbra

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just started reading The Satanic Verses, and I'm only up to the point early in the second chapter where Ismaill/Gibreel's adoptive mother dies. Obviously I've only just started the book and I assume I have a while to go before I get to the controversial parts, but so far the book doesn't seem particularly blasphemous and is a dark, satirical take on the perils of hubris and idolatry.

Also, dumb question from someone who doesn't know literature very well, is The Satanic Verses considered magical realism?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yes

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So this is a thing, apparently: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Cursed_Child
My question is: why? The story had reached a nice conclusion, and she's certainly not hurting for money considering that at one point she was the richest person in the UK. Why create this?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to get that Very Potter musical money

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

She ran out of money building a pyramid made from gold and wants to finish it before she dies so she can be honoured in the afterlife.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

She ran out of money building a pyramid made from gold and wants to finish it before she dies so she can be honoured in the afterlife.

luckily, if she gets there and the stores are all closed, with a word she can get what she came for

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

So this is a thing, apparently: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Cursed_Child
My question is: why? The story had reached a nice conclusion, and she's certainly not hurting for money considering that at one point she was the richest person in the UK. Why create this?

Because she can do whatever the gently caress she wants

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

Answer is normally in the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
What the hell was up with Animorphs? Animorphs was weird.