Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

They aren't trying to kill him now. They're trying to prevent his rise.

They don't want to gently caress with time that much.

Fair enough, I hope they more explicitly decide to go in that direction. It makes more sense and makes for a better show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Binary Logic posted:

That plus the green kryptonite in this episode makes it more than implied.
The Flash exists in this universe, and the Flash is going to meet Supergirl.

That's true. Wasn't there also a reference to Wayne Enterprises on the newspaper from the future in the first season of The Flash?

Hughlander posted:

Ray totally has time bullshit upcoming.

How did Ray's wife die again? My guess is that he'll try to go back in an effort to safe his wife somehow

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I dont know posted:

I thought the dagger he used to cut Hawkman's throat was the same one. I could be mistaken.

It was (or at least it looked like it). That's how he was able to do magic blasts with it. Them not taking it was dumb as well as them not taking Savage while he was dying to a place where they could finish him off at their leisure.

Edit:

Jonny_Rocket posted:

How did Ray's wife die again? My guess is that he'll try to go back in an effort to safe his wife somehow
It happened in Season 2 of Arrow. Ray mentions it happening to him two years prior.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

She was killed in the "Siege of Starling City" from the end of Arrow S2. Its a basic motivator in his introduction and story arch in S3.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

STAC Goat posted:

She was killed in the "Siege of Starling City" from the end of Arrow S2. Its a basic motivator in his introduction and story arch in S3.

Gotcha. I haven't seen S2 of Arrow in a while, so I had forgotten

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

I dont know posted:

I thought the dagger he used to cut Hawkman's throat was the same one. I could be mistaken.
...Oh...well in that case it just don't make a lick of sense then. :v:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Maybe I'm crazy but how do we know Savages body will regenerate? It's a magic thing he could probably pop up somewhere else fully formed and the time bandits just end up with a corpse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

frgildan posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but how do we know Savages body will regenerate? It's a magic thing he could probably pop up somewhere else fully formed and the time bandits just end up with a corpse.

I forget if they ever owed how he recovered from being ash?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Gotcha. I haven't seen S2 of Arrow in a while, so I had forgotten

I didn't really remember it until Ray mentioned it this episode either. But its the prime motivation for him in wanting to do something about the violence in the city, blaming Arrow for a hand in it, and developing the Atom suit.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Which as we also remember, were mirukuru'ed soldiers from Deathstroke.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This show goes from cringeworthy to amazing and back in seconds. It's giving me whiplash.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope. Merlin took it and nothing in modern day has come of it. But he does show up in the future killing Rip's family, but that's all we know.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You'd figure they'd scoop him up in a baggie or something but nope.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Scyantific posted:

You'd figure they'd scoop him up in a baggie or something but nope.

Then we would t get DCTV Legion of Doom

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bad Moon posted:

Then we would t get DCTV Legion of Doom

Read this as DCTV Doom Patrol somehow and boy did my ears perk up

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Look I don't care about plot holes and continuity errors

just keep giving me ridiculous slomo shots of Caity Lotz and Arthur Darvill lookin fly as gently caress set to sweet period-appropriate jamz and I'm in for 5 seasons of these morons trying to kill a guy with some knives

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Man alive is the guy playing Savage miscast. I can't even blame him, he's just totally wrong for the part.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Man alive is the guy playing Savage miscast. I can't even blame him, he's just totally wrong for the part.

Should've cast Wallace Shawn. :colbert:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Read this as DCTV Doom Patrol somehow and boy did my ears perk up
My ears would freak out hearing "Release the Negative Spirit" on a Legends of Tomorrow/Doom Patrol crossover episode. Or Cliff Steele looking at The Atom's suit and sneering something like, "Cute outfit".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Overall thoughts on this episode: Snart and his partner are great, Sara is great, Jax and Rip basically bring nothing to the table and Ray, Stein and Hawkgirl are dragging the show down. I liked Ray and Hawkgirl as secondary characters on Arrow and Flash, but here they're just annoying me. If the cast got cut down to Snart and his partner, Sara, Jax and Stein it would be much better. I'd replace Stein with Rip but there's the Firestorm thing, so...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Actually, on last night's Arrow, they specifically mentioned that John Constantine fully restored her soul, so she doesn't have the bloodlust anymore.

EDIT: Dammit, never mind.
Did I miss this being explained? Because I was confused by that too.

frgildan posted:

Why not go back before he gained immortality? Seems like that would be the easiest way to do it.
Why not go back at all? Why are they going forward to the '80s instead of back to the '60s? Just jump back each time and you maintain the element of surprise until you kill him.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Does the fact that Rip has "seen Men of Steel die and Dark Knights fall" imply that there's a Superman and Batman in their universe? Could be a dumb theory, but it was just a random thought I had
It seems like a pretty obvious reference, which means that Batman and Superman must show up in the future (from the persepctive of Arrow/Flash), but everyone in that room should have been going "Huh? Dark nights fall?"

howe_sam posted:

I like how Rip's the reason his family is dead.
During that scene I was thinking kind of the opposite. Savage is going "Ha, now I know who to kill!" but it already happened before Rip travelled back in time so this changes nothing.

Zebulon posted:

Now that he has more to do he's putting up a better showing. They're also doing a wonderful job of establishing why he's so dangerous with this episode. He has all the time in the world, and a long memory.
He's a better character now, still not an actual threat to this team.

Aphrodite posted:

They aren't trying to kill him now. They're trying to prevent his rise.

They don't want to gently caress with time that much.
I don't think this is the case? They definitely seemed to be trying to kill him last episode.

bobkatt013 posted:

If nothing else, that seems to definitely indicate that he reforms from the same body rather than just springing up in a new body at some other location (which means the drop him in a volcano plan is still the best way to go).

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

It seems like a pretty obvious reference, which means that Batman and Superman must show up in the future (from the persepctive of Arrow/Flash), but everyone in that room should have been going "Huh? Dark nights fall?"

Well, they did name drop Oracle on Arrow. It's possible Bats is around and doing things and it's just not mentioned.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why didn't Rip take the freaking dagger!!!!!!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
These guys (especially Sara, who gave the whole speech about hindering foes instead of outright killing them) are having a really hard time capturing and incapacitating this man who just so happens to be immortal.

Like, I can get that he has adds, but they have at least four different AoE attacks, one of which capable of CCing them as well as Savage. Worst raid group ever.

Maybe the time masters told him that it would take ten episodes to kill Savage and he didn't want to wait that long, so he went rogue but they were right because of time bullshit or whatever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Look I don't care about plot holes and continuity errors

just keep giving me ridiculous slomo shots of Caity Lotz and Arthur Darvill lookin fly as gently caress set to sweet period-appropriate jamz and I'm in for 5 seasons of these morons trying to kill a guy with some knives

Yeah, that's pretty much me. Throw in some Wentworth Miller snark and I'm good.

Tiggum posted:

Did I miss this being explained? Because I was confused by that too.

I don't think Sara has the magical bloodlust from the pit that like fucks your poo poo up and turned Sara into a feral dog. Constantine cured her of that. Mainly Sara's just damaged. She was dealing with the whole "I'm a bad guy and my first instinct is to kill everyone" thing long before she died and was resurrected. The whole magical bloodlust thing just reinforced that in her mind even if she's not actually suffering from it anymore. That's why Rip's solution isn't "lets go find a magician" its "just get your poo poo together and try to be better." Which is basically the same stuff Oliver and Laurel were saying before she went and died.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I think it's more that unlike Thea, Sara won't die if she refuses to indulge her bloodlust because of what Constantine did. However, it's very possible that bloodlust is a blanket side effect of the Pit and it was never a problem because the only person using the Pit was a master assassin who killed people all the time anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, that's a fair point. Maybe the affects of the pit are just more pronounced in Thea than Sara because Thea wasn't a killer before the Pit so the character change is more drastic and Thea wasn't just killing people anyway to satiate the bloodlust.

But I don't know. Thea has been more or less effective at controlling her bloodlust, which is why all kinds of magical consequences kicked in. I think even if Sara is suffering from some magical bloodlust its really just an extension of the same poo poo she was dealing with all along. Sara was introduced as the damaged girl who spent years being trained to be a remorseless killer by the League of Assassins. Team Arrow never exactly helped her resolve that before she died and got resurrected. So maybe the Pit hosed her up magically but mostly I feel like it just enhanced the psychological poo poo she's always been dealing with. Sara's always kind of hated herself for being a killer.

And its not like she just randomly attacked a bar patron like Thea. She was defending herself against half a dozen trained assassins and maybe lost herself in the whole "kill or be killed" of it all. I think that's just kind of more of what Sara's issue always has been. She's a trained killer who was never taught to hold back, and she's riddled with guilt over that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mortanis posted:

Well, they did name drop Oracle on Arrow. It's possible Bats is around and doing things and it's just not mentioned.

Seems a bit odd that no one has ever gone "Hey, you're like that Batman guy in Gotham!" or "Apparently Gotham have their own Arrow now, but he dresses up like a bat for some reason?" And if they actually know enough about him to know that his backup person is called Oracle, it's even weirder to have never mentioned him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Seems a bit odd that no one has ever gone "Hey, you're like that Batman guy in Gotham!" or "Apparently Gotham have their own Arrow now, but he dresses up like a bat for some reason?" And if they actually know enough about him to know that his backup person is called Oracle, it's even weirder to have never mentioned him.

We haven't seen all of Ollie's flashbacks from his five missing years yet, that's all I'm saying.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We haven't seen all of Ollie's flashbacks from his five missing years yet, that's all I'm saying.

How much have they shown so far?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's still a whole another year of flashbacks to go through.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
It was clearly just a fourth wall breaking throw away joke.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He googled Oracle and as like " poo poo that's the name of a company I can't use that"

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

XboxPants posted:

Like holy poo poo, in this episode Rip and the team have taken out all the goons and have utterly defeated and incapacitated Savage and have him completely at their mercy. And then the show literally just cuts to the next scene with the heroes back on the ship trying to figure out how to find Savage. What the gently caress? Did we miss a scene?

That cut was so jarring and so unforgivably badly written that it has utterly destroyed all interest I had in the show. It was actually bad enough to make me angry at a TV show. I think I'm done, I'm out, no more legends of tomorrow for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CaptainCrunch posted:

That cut was so jarring and so unforgivably badly written that it has utterly destroyed all interest I had in the show. It was actually bad enough to make me angry at a TV show. I think I'm done, I'm out, no more legends of tomorrow for me.

They know that only Hawkgirl can kill him. They are also trying to figure out a way of stopping his rise of power.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just cryogenically freeze him and launch him into deep space.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

You should probably see a therapist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's sort of amazing how much deep thinking people are attempting to do about a show that's intended to be light-hearted and goofy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's not surprising. People don't like it when things don't make sense. The more fantastical and speculative your narrative is -- like with sci-fi and fantasy -- the more important it is for it to make consistent relatable sense. This show set up the ground rules, it established the internal logic, it told us very plainly and very clearly what the goals of its protagonists are and how they should be able to achieve them, but then it's not allowing them to do so out of nonsensical or logic-breaking reasons. What XBoxPants and CaptainCrunch have described is not even the sort of thing that would get past the writing room in Saturday morning cartoons, much less in any other genre of show out there.

This is why "It's just a comic book show, don't think about it too much" is just about the worst phrase nerds have managed to come up with in a litany of bad nerd phrases; somehow it's turned "Don't think about the logistics of reincarnated bird people flying around" into the same thing as "Don't think about lazy writing" in people's minds.

That being said, I'm still one-hundred percent on board this show because I think it's giving a ton more draws than drawbacks. It bears mentioning that the SNART storyline was really well-done from beginning to end. I was really into the idea that he couldn't change the events of his father's life, not really because of any weird sci-fi rationale like fixed timelines or whatever, but because his father's a piece of poo poo that's going to do the wrong thing and no amount of time-travel can fix that (without also, like, wiping his family from existence).

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

bobkatt013 posted:

They know that only Hawkgirl can kill him. They are also trying to figure out a way of stopping his rise of power.

He's unconscious and helpless at their feet. The dagger is on the floor nearby. They took neither their objective nor the weapon to end him when leaving the room.

Very dumb.

Aphrodite posted:

You should probably see a therapist.

Doesn't matter what the discussion is, always some jerk looking to snipe at the other posters.

Rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CaptainCrunch posted:

Doesn't matter what the discussion is, always some jerk looking to snipe at the other posters.

Rude.

Ordinarily I would agree, but dude, look at this;

CaptainCrunch posted:

Seriously, have you considered seeing a therapist?

• Locked thread