Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Two days until I fly to Seoul. I was there in October when the weather was nice and I loved it, but I know it's going to be cold and crowded this time of year. Any suggestions for good wintertime activities a couple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TsarZiedonis posted:

Two days until I fly to Seoul. I was there in October when the weather was nice and I loved it, but I know it's going to be cold and crowded this time of year. Any suggestions for good wintertime activities a couple?

Go to Nami Island, eat overpriced food, ride a tandem bike.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

Long weekend coming up. Any thing that can be done for a day or so? I'm not sure how free I / others will be, so~

I came back to chat just to try and get people interested in doing something but no one's biting :-(.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Go to Nami Island, eat overpriced food, ride a tandem bike.

An island in February? Wouldn't that be, like, incredibly cold?

Hmm, I do like the idea of biking around the countryside, though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

TsarZiedonis posted:

Wouldn't that be, like, incredibly cold?

As opposed to....?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Whizbang posted:

As opposed to....?

Winds comin off the ocean make for a mighty cold breeze.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Neither of you have any idea what Nami Island is?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Neither of you have any idea what Nami Island is?

A tiny enchanted independent nation where dreams are real and love can bloom?

And sweet motorboat rides.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Gildiss posted:

A tiny enchanted independent nation where dreams are real and love can bloom?

And sweet motorboat rides.

This guy knows what's up.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

It also has some awesome statues

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Onion Knight posted:

It also has some awesome statues

Dicks?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Oh is that from dragonball or something?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Already shipped my external HDDs so suffer an instagram:

but yeah right next to that statue is a little shop that sells all manner of ceramic dick sculptures, from dicks shaped like dudes to dudes with giant boners to giant veiny cocks that grow flowers from the urethra. Welcome to Corea Sparkling~ nami island i guess

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Onion Knight posted:

Already shipped my external HDDs so suffer an instagram:

but yeah right next to that statue is a little shop that sells all manner of ceramic dick sculptures, from dicks shaped like dudes to dudes with giant boners to giant veiny cocks that grow flowers from the urethra. Welcome to Corea Sparkling~ nami island i guess

Holy poo poo, I was kidding. Hahaha this is wonderful.

Are there any really expensive, fancy, wear a suit and evening gown kind of restaurants in Seoul? Looking for asian/korean fancy, rather than French food fancy.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Perchance you have heard of VIPS steakhouse?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ashley's man. Unlimited wine and I'm told it's "classy as gently caress."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
If you take her to The Party she'll let you do the weird stuff.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
imo for big "western-fusion" buffet restaurant chains:

Seven Springs > VIPS > Ashley > anything else that i haven't heard of

edit - i like the VIPS near insaedong/jonggak. they specialize in pork BBQ stuff: pulled pork, ribs, ham, etc.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I liked The party at Haeundae in Busan. Ashley's was okay for a cheap price. You could always go to Jungsik (정식당) if you just want to spend some money.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The Ashley at Haeundae was the first one I ever went to. Great place. I remember it was really confusing getting up to that floor, though. You had to switch elevators on the CGV floor, so you have to walk through this weird dimly lit blue LED light-filled room full of screaming children. If you're lucky and they're really busy or whatever, I believe they have a balcony you can go out and dine on.

Also on the other side of the city, in the Nampo area, there's another Ashley that also has a pretty cool spot (though not as good). Both are great ones.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Are people making real Ashley's suggestions now? What the hell

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm 100% at a loss to offer up any Korean fine dining. Even Jungsik is basically just Korean-inspired postmodern than Korean.
Maybe Jihwaja or Gungyeon? Royal court cuisine is the only thing I can think of, but even those places aren't exactly black tie dining experiences (but not really t-shirt and jeans either).

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So mostly my options for fine dining are European?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

EvilElmo posted:

The Korean fine dining places are all "King Style" that serve 10-12 dishes. I know a few nice ones in Ansan but I couldn't tell you in Seoul.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

You're better off going to Japan.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Raphisonfire posted:

KoreaMegathread VII: you're better off going to Japan.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Can I go to movie tomorrow? It is important

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

AmbientParadox posted:

Can I go to movie tomorrow? It is important

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

EvilElmo posted:

No thanks, I don't want radiation poisoning

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

AmbientParadox posted:

No thanks, I don't want radiation poisoning

You dont want superpowers? Your loss.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Gaesong is shutting down.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Nami island is actually much nicer than I expected, thanks mystery goon!

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anyone have any experience with Korean credit cards? Are they worth any of the hassle over cash, assuming you qualify for one?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never got one because of the ones my friends had. Unless they've changed it's like you give them 1M as a deposit and your card has a 1M limit. It's not actually a credit card. The one good thing is some of them have reward points you can game somewhat, so if you're into that it might be worth it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Could make some online ordering easier as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's true, though I don't think I ever had an issue just using my debit card.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

That's true, though I don't think I ever had an issue just using my debit card.

Agreed, but the internet banking thing is only convenient and good after you understand how to get it all set up. The process of figuring it out on your own was one hell of a pain in the rear end for me way back when.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Huh. Sounds like if you have that money to put down and are okay doing the initial hoop jumping, why not.
I used to play the rewards points game back at home. I was at the point where using cash and not getting something extra felt like a wasted opportunity. So, coming here was a point building, ocd nightmare.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Don't be ridiculous, foreigners can't get credit cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I have a bunch of them, no deposit was necessary. I have one that gets used only at costco. It's great because I don't have to carry cash there and I can even do interest-free monthly payments.
The thing about credit cards in Korea is they're all basically charge cards - you have to pay the balance at the end of each month. However, you gets points and poo poo that you can use for other stuff. I just bought my friend a pretty sweet vacuum totally for free, shipping and everything, using points.
Plus, if you do your Korean taxes, it automatically itemizes everything you spent money on so you get more back.