Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SkySteak posted:

It's loving bullshit how the Germans just stacked a load of heavies into full cover and kept them on overwatch. One of the worse Council missions out there.

man you should see the Battle of Gallipoli mission, there's a bunch of mind control units that just force you to move your men out into the open where they get killed by sectopod bombardment. I guess :xcom:

e:

TescoBag posted:

Something interesting.

After starting 10 or so times to try to get europe as a starting area I was wondering if it was possible.

<snip>

Europe is not set. Any idea for why this is?
Could be that europe has too much connectivity with other zones, so you're effectively closer to the alien projects than normal?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I hated timed missions in Xcom 1, so I've adapted by rolling with three grenadiers, all with grenade skills. Scorched earth policy is in effect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

One of my recruits was named Richard Richard.

I had to give him a new nickname

https://fat.gfycat.com/DaringUncomfortableChipmunk.webm

Is he a Pokeman?

Richard? Richard Richard. Richard!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

The point is that it takes away choices from the player and enforces one type of playstyle.

If people want to turtle, they should be able to turtle, at the expense of things like elerium containers that disappear after a certain number of turns.

The developers should encourage certain playstyles using rewards and incentives, rather than punishments. Positive reinforcement > negative reinforcement.

The positive reinforcement is that you win the mission and get the rewards. Losing a single mission isn't a failure state.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

I really thought it was gonna be Dick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

Christopher "Christopher Christopher" Christopher from South Africa

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I knew when the Shadow Chamber told me ENEMY UNKNOWN that this was going to go bad.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ulsoro posted:

There are already mods out that increase or outright eliminate the turn timer.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616857663

and

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616964599

Just hit subscribe and suck on your pacifier.

I dont know why they didnt just add 2-4 turns onto the easiest setting. As it is I push the 8 turn limit because Im a timid goober afraid to watch my shooty mans and womans die. Unless theyre from the USA then they go in guns blazing because it seems apropriate. Either way I thank you for showing me the added turn limit one!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Fun fact, growing up in Canada I knew a guy game Jacob Jacob Jacobs. So that is fairly accurate.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
For those on the fence about missions timers, don't be. I am the biggest baby when it comes to timed stuff to the point I actively put off playing the original Fallout because of the water chip time limit and I had no problems with Xcom 2's timer.

You don't need to turtle anymore (and I also loving love turtling!) because stealth and concealment mean that you can run people around the map like a marathon and as long as you are concealed and avoid line of sight you don't have to worry about getting shot at. This allows you to get the perfect cover and then ambush enemies. At that point you can proceed to turtle to take the enemy out while moving forward to your objective.

If you're really on the fence go check out gameplay vids. Beagle's is really good.

Just make sure that you push it to the limit when concealed. Never go on overwatch while concealed unless you are planning to ambush on the same turn and go ahead and use up your full yellow move. You won't get punished for it like in Xcom1.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
One of my Grenadiers just got Run and Gun from the AWC.

:circlefap:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

The game gives you plenty of tools to deal with the time limits so I'm curious to see how some people are playing. Concealment lets you make lots of ground before the first pod. A phantom ranger helps you scout ahead so you can safely make yellow moves between pods. You also get motion balls early and scanning protocol for checking if areas are safe. And if everything goes to poo poo you have mimic beacons. It isn't too hard to stay safe while still playing aggressively.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

plasma weapons look doofy in this and that bums me out. :(

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Has anybody with a 7970 noticed a performance increase with updated drivers? Mine are from August and I should probably just upgrade.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

If you're really on the fence go check out gameplay vids. Beagle's is really good.

Beagle is good, but his videos are a bad recommendation for "on the fence about turn timers" because he actively modded his game in a way that makes it more awkward. (Like the super safe playing sectoids)

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Sparticle posted:

The game gives you plenty of tools to deal with the time limits so I'm curious to see how some people are playing. Concealment lets you make lots of ground before the first pod. A phantom ranger helps you scout ahead so you can safely make yellow moves between pods. You also get motion balls early and scanning protocol for checking if areas are safe. And if everything goes to poo poo you have mimic beacons. It isn't too hard to stay safe while still playing aggressively.

Or you can just rain explosives on the aliens :colbert:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I constantly forget I have motion balls, barely ever use Scanning Protocol and haven't even made Mimic beacons but I'm having no issues with Turn limits.
I would love to see what people are doing to be having this much trouble with it all (Baring the bad map generation).

Broken Cog posted:

Spot the odd one out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR9jJp1aUCY

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Roobanguy posted:

plasma weapons look doofy in this and that bums me out. :(

The late tier armors look kinda silly too

LibbyM posted:

Beagle is good, but his videos are a bad recommendation for "on the fence about turn timers" because he actively modded his game in a way that makes it more awkward. (Like the super safe playing sectoids)

I haven't watched (all of) beagle's videos, but in my game Sectoids are pretty passive. I think I've only had them shoot at me once; their priority seems to be 1. Raise zombie 2. Psi Attack 3. Run away

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Lowen SoDium posted:

I swore it was gonna be "Moon Moon." What it was was much better.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat I have to buy this when I get back from Vegas tomorrow

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
How do I open up the menu to buy things from HQ? :downs: can I only get engineers at the end of the month?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
occasionally you'll get a mission that's really tight for time, but the large majority of the time you'll have a lot of time to spare unless you try to overwatch creep. Then there's missions with no time constraints and you get to do some really powerful stuff with concealment ranger scounting to set up cheesy overwatch traps without the EW overwatching creeping.

The procedural maps are really good, and only need a couple of tweaks to fix the rare insane size+8 turn timers.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

enraged_camel posted:

I was 2 seconds away from clicking "Buy" on Steam and I decided to check out the reviews. Glad I did, because I found out most missions have a turn limit.

gently caress. That. poo poo.

What the gently caress is the point of tactics and careful planning and positioning if you have to rush through stuff?

It's perfectly fine, you're just making a big deal out of nothing.

edit: i didn't like the idea either, but it hasn't really been a hinderance to my playing.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 6, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I haven't watched (all of) beagle's videos, but in my game Sectoids are pretty passive. I think I've only had them shoot at me once; their priority seems to be 1. Raise zombie 2. Psi Attack 3. Run away

Sectoids are passive but they also play incredibly unsafe in the base game, nothing they do is a threat because they always leave themselves in position to be easily killed next turn, and as you say, they never shoot so there's no immediate impact.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
When I saw there was a building that gives your ship turrets for defending against ground assault, I figured this was a good idea to invest in. Built it, upgraded it, staffed an engineer which apparently boosts stats.

Now I'm about to find out.
:black101:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

<big image here>

I got Jordan Jordan, I nicknamed him "Moon Moon"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

enraged_camel posted:

The point is that it takes away choices from the player and enforces one type of playstyle.

If people want to turtle, they should be able to turtle, at the expense of things like elerium containers that disappear after a certain number of turns.

The developers should encourage certain playstyles using rewards and incentives, rather than punishments. Positive reinforcement > negative reinforcement.

drat, I'm definitely enjoying the commentary on the design of a game that you haven't played, dog. Keep it coming.

It works perfectly fine and you can play it slow and steady if you want, you just need to manage encounters better; hell, there's entire mechanical systems in place in the game now that allow you to play defensively and set up ambushes and most of them are in play only on the timed missions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The feeling when your soldier is one tile short of the evac zone :negative:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

okay

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
failing most of the timed objectives don't even lose you the mission, you just miss out on a reward.

I think the timed evac ones are the only ones with a hard timer, actually?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Elders/Ethereals are...Scrin? Does that mean as the rebel assholes XCOM is...Nod?

Peace through Power motherfucker! :black101: (I need to make a Joe "Kane" Kucan soldier now...after I go have a snack and stare at something besides a screen for a few minutes).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, this game is REALLY hard. You need a plan of attack and priorities laid out ahead of time or you sink.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You know what sold me on this game? Snake tits AND Jojo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Download the mod to extend timers. 4 extra turns made the game go from tedious to really fun.

Also I learned to overwatch BEFORE breaking stealth to maximize pectoid slaughter. And to always be grenading.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I've never actually failed a mission because of timers. It just forces you to play at a reasonable pace.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, this game is REALLY hard. You need a plan of attack and priorities laid out ahead of time or you sink.

I think it's more of the fact that it just doesn't let up, ever.. In the previous game you had a hump early on where you only had poo poo soldiers, no gear and no abilities. Once you got some Sergeants in your barracks and a few tools things just started to roll over. Later on you would run into a small handful of dangerous enemies (sectopods, douche disks, ethereals) surrounded by mountains of chaff.

In XCOM 2 every single loving enemy is a goddamned rear end in a top hat. And the moment you start getting the hang of one enemy, they introduce a new biggest douche, and then the douche bar is set higher again, and then you're getting entire pods of the previous "boss" enemies, and then you're getting elite ADVENT troopers that have giant piles of HP and armor (for the love of all that is good, get some Grenadiers with the Shredder skill, you will need them when you get Elite Shieldbearers with 4-5 armor points). And outside of the lower-health, non-elite versions no one really gets obsoleted, at least not quickly. Even at the point where I'm at Swoletoids are still dangerous just because they can make you lose turns.

The game isn't extremely hard at any one point so much as it's a marathon of near constant difficulty that wears you down.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Does the "Hunt XCOM" dark event have a duration or does the UFO just keep hunting you until it finds you no matter how you might "dodge"?

also, :rip: Coolguye, that last mission was a snakepit:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 6, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Sectoid mind-control is making me feel conflicted. If we started with maybe 5 rookies it wouldn't be so bad but 3 squaddies with 1 mind-controlled is just really hard to counter.

Killing the sectoid is the obvious one but in some cases that can't be done quickly/efficiently and it can get annoying playing ring around the rosy with joe the mind controlled rookie.

I don't hate it but I think early sectoids should just be able to berserk soldiers and then after the first month or something give them mind control. It worked in the original xcom but that game relied on clown car tactics so it fit a little better early on there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Sectoid mind-control is making me feel conflicted. If we started with maybe 5 rookies it wouldn't be so bad but 3 squaddies with 1 mind-controlled is just really hard to counter.

Killing the sectoid is the obvious one but in some cases that can't be done quickly/efficiently and it can get annoying playing ring around the rosy with joe the mind controlled rookie.

I don't hate it but I think early sectoids should just be able to berserk soldiers and then after the first month or something give them mind control. It worked in the original xcom but that game relied on clown car tactics so it fit a little better early on there.

I would agree with you but there's a very easy counter for Swoletoids and their mental shenanigans:

Flashbangs. Flashbang a Swoletoid and not only will all of their mental shenanigans be disrupted (freeing mind controlled people and killing psi-zombies) but they won't be able to use their mental powers for another two turns

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I AM SO FUN HAVING SHOOT ALIUMS DIE

Except I lost my first mission because I did not realize that melee is no longer 100% hit chance and once again low cover is absolutely useless WHERE ARE MY SMOKE GRENADES

:xcom:

khy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Furnaceface posted:

Download the mod to extend timers. 4 extra turns made the game go from tedious to really fun.
Also I learned to overwatch BEFORE breaking stealth to maximize pectoid slaughter. And to always be grenading.
I only learned this from reading the files but apparently overwatch on concealment breaking does not have an aim penalty, unlike all other overwatching. So definitely capitalize on it.

Red Mundus posted:

I always save a flash grenade for this. It drops MC instantly.