Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

turevidar posted:

Is this true of IRAs as well? HSAs?
IRAs yes, up to a million dollars or so. HSAs probably not, depending on whether or not you can get a state exemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a disadvantage to maxing out an HSA through payroll deductions over the course of, say, 2 months as opposed to a year? Do smaller deductions over the course of the entire year make my overall tax liability less than it would if I maxed it in 2 or 3 paychecks?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

pat_b posted:

I'm not able to max my Roth IRA for 2015 - can put 1k, and maybe put 2k in it. I was able to max it for 2013 and 14, but I moved to an expensive area and also started a business, so times have been tight. Normally, I guess it would be a wash, but I do have a savings bond that is around 6k to 7k. It matures fully at 10k, but that won't be for awhile.

I guess my question is, should I cash it out and max the IRA? Or should I just leave it to mature, settle for what I'm able to put in for 2015 and try to max it for 2016? I'm conflicted. I'm 27, and I'm thinking that the money would be better invested in the IRA than sitting in a bond that takes forever to mature. Or maybe there's some secret option that I have no idea about.
You should probably sell the bond and get the roth ira. If bonds are the right thing for you to own you can always buy a bond fund with IRA money.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Is there a disadvantage to maxing out an HSA through payroll deductions over the course of, say, 2 months as opposed to a year? Do smaller deductions over the course of the entire year make my overall tax liability less than it would if I maxed it in 2 or 3 paychecks?

There is no difference in tax liability . If you make a contribution from your bank account instead of through payroll you put the numbers on your taxes in different boxes, but even then still works out the same. The only difference would be the timing of buying with your HSA money which is the old the lump sum vs dollar cost averaging debate.

edit: If you do contribute ahead of the full year scheduled and later change health plans to a non HDHP plan or are otherwise not eligible to contribute to a HSA you would have to take some back out.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 24, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

There is no difference in tax liability . If you make a contribution from your bank account instead of through payroll you put the numbers on your taxes in different boxes, but even then still works out the same. The only difference would be the timing of buying with your HSA money which is the old the lump sum vs dollar cost averaging debate.

edit: If you do contribute ahead of the full year scheduled and later change health plans to a non HDHP plan or are otherwise not eligible to contribute to a HSA you would have to take some back out.

The payroll deductions may not make a difference, but contributing directly instead of through payroll means that you don't avoid the FICA taxes on the HSA contribution.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Is there a disadvantage to maxing out an HSA through payroll deductions over the course of, say, 2 months as opposed to a year?
The reason I wouldn't do this, at least not at the start of the year, is that my employer's contribution to my HSA seems to increase every summer when we enroll in benefits. I end up having to recalculate a different monthly contribution halfway through the year based on a bigger amount that my employer suddenly dumped in there to make sure I don't go over the annual contribution limit. It's not a huge issue, but certainly a reason I wouldn't max it before my employer's contribution.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 24, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My employer doesn't contribute to my HSA :(

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
...employers actually contribute to HSAs? Next you'll tell me that employer matching on 401k plans doesn't end at $1000/year...

More on topic, at what point does it become useful to itemize deductions on one's taxes? Like, I contribute (tiny amounts) to charity but my husband says to never bother mentioning it on tax forms because it won't really change what we get back.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Faerunner posted:

...employers actually contribute to HSAs? Next you'll tell me that employer matching on 401k plans doesn't end at $1000/year...

More on topic, at what point does it become useful to itemize deductions on one's taxes? Like, I contribute (tiny amounts) to charity but my husband says to never bother mentioning it on tax forms because it won't really change what we get back.
750 contribution to my HSA, total of my premium (my portion) of ~262/yr (company picks up 6k or so, I have precise numbers on my computer...) for a 1.5k deductible, 4k OPM plan. Works well for me being in generally healthy and have around ~$500 a year in average healthcare costs - as long as I don't get in an auto (or any?) accident or something! (Happened a few years ago - but while my premium was $500 and OPM was $1,250 I believe, but my monthly premium was about $370, so it would be cheaper on my finances to have the higher deductible plan due to the heavily subsidized premium.

Oh and a 4% 401k match and 2%-8% (I believe, scales as your employment term grows, goes up a percent every 5yrs?) non elective contribution that vests at 3yrs. Limit is as dictated by law, so I'm sure some executive max out their entire 401k... Not I, though!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Faerunner posted:

You need to have deductions that total more than the standard deduction, which is $6,300 for single and $12,600 for married.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

You need to have deductions that total more than the standard deduction, which is $6,300 for single and $12,600 for married.
Specifically, below-the-line deductions have to exceed the standard deduction. Most tax-deductible retirement accounts, HSAs, and student loan interest--among other things--are "above the line" deductions, which means you can take them regardless of whether you itemize (i.e. save your receipts) or take the standard deduction (i.e. take the default amount for your status). Charitable donations and mortgage interest deduction are probably the most common below-the-line deductions.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

House hunting and major purchase question:

I'm past pre-approval but still house hunting so I'm before actually applying for a mortgage.

I'm about to buy an engagement ring :ssh: for about $3k:ssh::ssh:, all cash (well, technically check).

Is the outflow of that money (out of roughly 50k of assets) going to screw up my mortgage application? My guess is no, because since I'm paying cash it's not adding to my debt/income ratio, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, related question, do charges on my credit card count towards my debt to income ratio if I never carry a balance?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Shouldn't make a big difference unless you're cutting it very close on available cash but it could ruin the surprise if you're on speakerphone when the loan officer asks you to explain all recent major purchases.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

antiga posted:

Shouldn't make a big difference unless you're cutting it very close on available cash but it could ruin the surprise if you're on speakerphone when the loan officer asks you to explain all recent major purchases.

They don't ask what you buy. They only ask if you have money come in that is not from your employer.

Also if you are worried about your debt level just pay off your cards about 5 days before you apply for the mortgage ( when they pull your credit). If your cards show $3000 on them it counts as debt, even if you are going to pay it off in a week.

Your ring purchase shouldn't influence anything.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thank you.

spwrozek posted:

They only ask if you have money come in that is not from your employer.

What do they ask about this and how does it affect things? Because my grandma said she wants to help me with closing costs, which i don't necessarily need but i won't turn down either.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

alnilam posted:

Thank you.

What do they ask about this and how does it affect things? Because my grandma said she wants to help me with closing costs, which i don't necessarily need but i won't turn down either.

I had a friend pay me back $150 for something I picked up for him on amazon and they asked what the $150 was for. They went back 3 months. I just had to explain it. It was really easy.

You can get a form for gifts for the grandma thing but it gets weird. I would suggest you have her write you a check and then use your savings for your down payment and closing. The day after you close deposit grandma's check into your savings to replenish it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Totally clueless here.

My HSA allows me to invest after it exceeds a balance of $1000. I just passed that, so the option is now available on the website. Do I go ahead and do that now, or should I at least wait until I have enough to cover the deductible and invest the excess after that? If I do invest, how accessible is the money in that account if I ended up needing it?

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 25, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Teeter posted:

Totally clueless here.

My HSA allows me to invest after it exceeds a balance of $1000. I just passed that, so the option is now available on the website. Do I go ahead and do that now, or should I at least wait until I have enough to cover the deductible and invest the excess after that? If I do invest, how accessible is the money in that account if I ended up needing it?

Who is your HSA through? I have mine through SelectAccount. It doesnt let you invest that first $1k, only any contributions after $1 thousand. Then you can select a percentage of how much you want to go to your investments and how much to go straight to the HSA.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

alnilam posted:

They just want to be sure that you're not taking out another loan to cover the down payment, or artificially inflating your income. Gifts from family to help out are generally fine, as long as it's a genuine gift without an expectation of repayment.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Who is your HSA through? I have mine through SelectAccount. It doesnt let you invest that first $1k, only any contributions after $1 thousand. Then you can select a percentage of how much you want to go to your investments and how much to go straight to the HSA.

It's through a service called HealthEquity. Similar policy, only contributions above $1k can be invested. I'm just curious if I should jump on that now, or wait and only invest above $1.5k so that my deductible is always covered. My initial thoughts are that this may not matter much because the value would move very slowly but I'm thrown off by a few things, namely my complete ignorance about a lot of things mentioned here as well as their projections stating it could have -3% in a single year return before seeing growth past 3-5+ years.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Space Gopher posted:

They just want to be sure that you're not taking out another loan to cover the down payment, or artificially inflating your income. Gifts from family to help out are generally fine, as long as it's a genuine gift without an expectation of repayment.

They will often times make the gifter sign a form saying that this is a gift not a loan.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Teeter posted:

It's through a service called HealthEquity. Similar policy, only contributions above $1k can be invested. I'm just curious if I should jump on that now, or wait and only invest above $1.5k so that my deductible is always covered. My initial thoughts are that this may not matter much because the value would move very slowly but I'm thrown off by a few things, namely my complete ignorance about a lot of things mentioned here as well as their projections stating it could have -3% in a single year return before seeing growth past 3-5+ years.

I basically waited until I had my deductible covered and then went %50/50 on new investments and leaving it in my HSA.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

spwrozek posted:

They don't ask what you buy. They only ask if you have money come in that is not from your employer.

YMMV. I had to explain all large transactions within the previous 60 days, including a reimbursement from my employer. Maybe they're over-conservative but if he pays by check, that's something my lender would've asked about.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Reimbursement is money coming in... Making sure you are not getting a loan from elsewhere.

But I guess your lender asked for what you spent your money on. So maybe it is possible for the OP.

To the HSA question I have mine set at my yearly OOP max ($3500) and then everything gets invested. If I pay for something and it goes below $3500 it fills back up to $3500 then keeps investing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I miscalculated a bit and ended up contributing $100 more to my Roth IRAs in 2015 than was allowed. How do I make this right? Will I get hit by an early withdrawal penalty by withdrawing the excess contributions?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HSA question - I have a hospital bill that's over a year old that I'm still paying off. Can I use funds from the HSA I just opened to pay it down? Or does the medical event need to have occurred after the HSA opening?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

HSA question - I have a hospital bill that's over a year old that I'm still paying off. Can I use funds from the HSA I just opened to pay it down? Or does the medical event need to have occurred after the HSA opening?

Everything I've read says that you cannot use funds from an HSA to pay medical expenses that were incurred before the account was open.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

I miscalculated a bit and ended up contributing $100 more to my Roth IRAs in 2015 than was allowed. How do I make this right? Will I get hit by an early withdrawal penalty by withdrawing the excess contributions?

No biggie. Myself, I would probably roll it forward to 2016 and just pay the 6 dollar penalty. https://investor.vanguard.com/ira/excess-contribution

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

slap me silly posted:

No biggie. Myself, I would probably roll it forward to 2016 and just pay the 6 dollar penalty. https://investor.vanguard.com/ira/excess-contribution

I haven't filed my taxes yet, so could I just withdraw the $100? I bought shares of an S&P500 index with the $5600 I put in, so should I just sell $100 worth of the shares?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I haven't filed my taxes yet, so could I just withdraw the $100? I bought shares of an S&P500 index with the $5600 I put in, so should I just sell $100 worth of the shares?

If you contact Vanguard, they'll take it out for you. You'll get hit with a 10% penalty and taxes on any gains that occurred on the $100. You don't do it yourself, they do the calculations for you and remove the exact amount of shares the $100 was worth when you bought it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I've got an account with a Canadian broker and have a taxable account with them, as well as my tax-free ones. Last year when I started investing I put stocks and bonds on all accounts, including the taxable, but now I learned having bonds in a taxable account is bad because of bond dividends being taxed, whereas stocks are not (or something like that from Bogleheads). I haven't done the math yet, but should I just bite the bullet and sell my bonds on the taxable account and eat the capital gains fee now? Or should I wait until the next taxation year?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Random newbie question - Let's say I bought $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 worth of Vanguard's S&P500 Index. Such an outrageously enormous amount that I technically own more value of Apple stock (3.3% of the Sp500 Index) than Apple actually has available. I wonder two things:

1. Did sinking all these hojillions of dollars into Vanguard's coffers have any impact on the overall S&P500 index?
2. Do I technically own Apple and could go fire everybody?

Stupid meaningless question, but it's a concept I don't understand.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
1) Yes. You would essentially be inflating the stock prices. And to clarify, you would not own more stock than available. Sellers would just agree to the insane prices you are offering. It would be like offering a million dollars per car for every car in the Wal-Mart parking lot just to prove that you could do it. It doesn't mean the cars magically turn into Lamborghinis.

2) Yes. At least once you elect yourself CEO. Knock yourself out you tycoon you.

nelson fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 4, 2016

monsterbunny
Feb 2, 2007

slap me silly posted:

I made a similar mistake with over-contributing to my Roth in 2015. Is there a supposed to be a declaration/form you need to fill out in order to roll it forward, or is it just to contribute $5500 minus your 2015 over-contribution and it all sorts itself out come next tax season?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Random newbie question - Let's say I bought $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 worth of Vanguard's S&P500 Index. Such an outrageously enormous amount that I technically own more value of Apple stock (3.3% of the Sp500 Index) than Apple actually has available. I wonder two things:

1. Did sinking all these hojillions of dollars into Vanguard's coffers have any impact on the overall S&P500 index?
2. Do I technically own Apple and could go fire everybody?

Stupid meaningless question, but it's a concept I don't understand.

1. Yes. The fund you bought would in turn buy the individual stocks that comprise the index at market price which would rise due to demand. I believe the prospectus should cover how stocks are purchased and sold.

2. Unless Vanguard has changed it's policy, this would be a no. If you directly bought enough shares in Apple to have a majority of the votes then you'd effectively own the company, however in this specific case you own an index fund and Vanguard owns the shares. They have an overview about how they vote with the shares they own somewhere on their site and unless it's changed they don't allow stockholder input.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It's amusing to think of a director of the board appointed by Vanguard. That's some really vaguely dystopian poo poo: the blind god of investors appoints leadership to a company.

Like this currently happens with private equity companies who do board takeovers but at least there's some... agency there.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I opened a savings account with Ally last month. I know the interest compounds daily which is cool, but when does it actually post to the account? The mob is going to break my legs if I don't come up with that $1.02. (Actually I'm just curious)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Rexim posted:

I opened a savings account with Ally last month. I know the interest compounds daily which is cool, but when does it actually post to the account? The mob is going to break my legs if I don't come up with that $1.02. (Actually I'm just curious)

Monthly, on your statement date (listed on the website).

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Had to clear a few hurdles to get signed up with Ally but finally sorted it out. Was cool to see the interest on the first month's statement for an amount that probably exceeds all the interest I had collected on our old savings account over the last 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've got an Ally account. I'm kind of tempted to use it for emergency funds\wife's taxes (she's a contractor) now that someone mentioned it. It might make us a couple dollars over time and is less accessible if my dumb rear end overspends.