Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I loved the casting for DD except the guy playing Murdoch. He's okay as supporting actor material, not leading man material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I hated the "real" costume at the end, I'm glad they kept his makeshift black costume for as long as they did. I would have liked to see a more gradual transition to a realistic version of his costume.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ryoshi posted:

Daredevil had incredible casting and just bizarrely weak pacing and writing. Like who the hell thought the priest episode was worth a solid hour? Anyone watching a tv show about Daredevil of all freaking superheroes is going to have endured that whole "should I kill this guy? I mean, killing is wrong, but this guy is SUPER MEAN" debate in literally every other piece of superhero media in the past three decades. It added nothing new to the characters or the debate itself and was just an hour of handwringing over something that was a foregone conclusion anyway.
It's a necessary part of the comic book hero character arc as "a thing", and hardcore fans of any comic book herop that got a show, would lose their poo poo if it wasn't included somewhere and somehow. Any hero who doesn't just kill errybody out of hand, eventually has to grapple with killing someone accidentally, killing an innocent accidentally, or consciously deciding to take out someone who's just too dangerous to leave walking around.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if Rick and Morty season 2 will ever be up on Hulu? Some of my employees had been talking it up forever, and i finally gave it a shot. I love it, and want to watch the next season!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Daredevil and Jessica Jones both had pacing and scripting problems, but at least Daredevil had rad fight choreography throughout to hold your interest and a villain that didn't peak a third of the way through the season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

It's a necessary part of the comic book hero character arc as "a thing", and hardcore fans of any comic book herop that got a show, would lose their poo poo if it wasn't included somewhere and somehow.

I don't know, 9 y.o. me was a pretty hardcore DD fan and he wanted more rear end kicking and less moral conundrums; grownup me agrees with him. 9 y.o. me (he lives inside me like Kuato) also wants the world to know he is sick to death of origin stories especially on reboots.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just noticed that Netflix has added Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. It's a direct-to-DVD sequel to the cheesy '90s sci-fi movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren as Vietnam vets killed in action and reanimated as cyborg soldiers, which was not a fantastic movie.

But Day of Reckoning IS a surprisingly good movie, and a weird, unsettling one. Van Damme and Lundgren's characters appear on the sidelines and in the shadows, looming forces in the background, but direct-to-DVD action actor Scott Adkins plays the lead role. It's as much a psychological thriller with a Lynchian feeling of dread as it is a balls-to-the-wall violent action movie with some brutal fight scenes. In the end, I'm not sure I fully understood it, but I was certainly entertained at the time.

The director, John Hyams (son of Peter Hyams, who directed some of Van Damme's '90s films) made another Universal Soldier movie BEFORE this one, subtitled Regeneration. It's supposed to be good too, but I haven't seen it, and it isn't on Netflix. But Day of Reckoning has picked up a cult following, and if you Google it, you'll find glowing praise on The AV Club and The Atlantic, among other sources.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

Daredevil had incredible casting and just bizarrely weak pacing and writing. Like who the hell thought the priest episode was worth a solid hour? Anyone watching a tv show about Daredevil of all freaking superheroes is going to have endured that whole "should I kill this guy? I mean, killing is wrong, but this guy is SUPER MEAN" debate in literally every other piece of superhero media in the past three decades. It added nothing new to the characters or the debate itself and was just an hour of handwringing over something that was a foregone conclusion anyway.

it's absolutely necessary as we see in jessica jones where she was forced to take the other route.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Sleeveless posted:

Daredevil and Jessica Jones both had pacing and scripting problems, but at least Daredevil had rad fight choreography throughout to hold your interest and a villain that didn't peak a third of the way through the season.

I agree both series felt like they padded things out to wrap up at 13 episodes when they could have finished in ten, probably. Daredevil also had a lot of great fights. Jessica Jones didn't have great fights because that's not really what it was about. Her series felt different; a whole episode could go by without a fight but satisfying progress is still made towards a goal. I think Daredevil could have been a villain of the week type of thing.

I really liked both of them but I think I liked them in large part because of the potential for future seasons to be so much better as they build off of what happened.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jodai posted:

I agree both series felt like they padded things out to wrap up at 13 episodes when they could have finished in ten, probably. Daredevil also had a lot of great fights. Jessica Jones didn't have great fights because that's not really what it was about. Her series felt different; a whole episode could go by without a fight but satisfying progress is still made towards a goal. I think Daredevil could have been a villain of the week type of thing.

I really liked both of them but I think I liked them in large part because of the potential for future seasons to be so much better as they build off of what happened.

I agree. Both series were pretty good and I have a gut feeling that season two for each will be much better.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just noticed that Netflix has added Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. It's a direct-to-DVD sequel to the cheesy '90s sci-fi movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren as Vietnam vets killed in action and reanimated as cyborg soldiers, which was not a fantastic movie.

But Day of Reckoning IS a surprisingly good movie, and a weird, unsettling one. Van Damme and Lundgren's characters appear on the sidelines and in the shadows, looming forces in the background, but direct-to-DVD action actor Scott Adkins plays the lead role. It's as much a psychological thriller with a Lynchian feeling of dread as it is a balls-to-the-wall violent action movie with some brutal fight scenes. In the end, I'm not sure I fully understood it, but I was certainly entertained at the time.

The director, John Hyams (son of Peter Hyams, who directed some of Van Damme's '90s films) made another Universal Soldier movie BEFORE this one, subtitled Regeneration. It's supposed to be good too, but I haven't seen it, and it isn't on Netflix. But Day of Reckoning has picked up a cult following, and if you Google it, you'll find glowing praise on The AV Club and The Atlantic, among other sources.

Both Regeneration and Day of Reckoning aren't perfect, but they're far better than they have any right to be and are entertaining as hell. Regeneration was on Netflix streaming for a while I think but it hasn't returned. :(

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
(These are all Netflix U.S.)

The Best Offer was added a while back. Stars Geoffrey Rush as an auctioneer and collector of forged paintings, who meets a reclusive young woman that hires him to evaluate her estate for auction. It's pretty darn good, and Rush delivers a stellar performance (though not as stellar as his role in Quills, which is also available to stream).

I'm not usually in the mood for films about struggling artists, but The Impostors is a goofy romp starring Oliver Platt and Stanley Tucci (Tucci is also the writer and director) as out-of-work actors struggling to land a gig. It's very lighthearted and funny, and well worth watching.

Syrup is based on Max(x) Barry's novel by the same name, but diverges from the plot, themes, and messages of the book pretty quickly. It sort of feels like it's being pulled from several different directions, and never really turns into anything worth seeing. I guess put it on if you're bored or are an especially huge fan of the book. Otherwise, meh.

The Suicide Theory is a dark drama about an assassin who's been hired to murder a man who supposedly can't be killed. Who ordered the hit? The potential victim himself. A terrific film.

Helix ended up not being too bad (for a Sci-Fi Channel show). Season 2 is pretty trippy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Suicide Theory is a dark drama about an assassin who's been hired to murder a man who supposedly can't be killed. Who ordered the hit? The potential victim himself. A terrific film.
Pretty sure I saw this one and quite liked it, it was really interesting although at first I was pretty dubious. This was a like british film and the immortal guy's face was all scarred and wrecked, right?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

coyo7e posted:

Pretty sure I saw this one and quite liked it, it was really interesting although at first I was pretty dubious. This was a like british film and the immortal guy's face was all scarred and wrecked, right?

Yep, that's the one! I was a little iffy on it at the beginning, too. I'm glad I kept watching--it's really good.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Awesome Welles posted:

Both Regeneration and Day of Reckoning aren't perfect, but they're far better than they have any right to be and are entertaining as hell. Regeneration was on Netflix streaming for a while I think but it hasn't returned. :(

No, Day of Reckoning isn't perfect, but it stuck with me long after I forgot about plenty of "prestige" movies. It's ambitious and full of odd details, has great fight scenes, and just enough JCVD, who has somehow turned into a very good character actor in recent years. It definitely draws a lot of inspiration from Apocalypse Now, but I'd compare it more to Drive or some other smart, sad, brutal action movie.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Has anyone seen The Red Road? I watched the first two episodes but I want to know if it's worth watching. So far the daughter and her boyfriend are annoying and bad.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Love (2011)

If you read the description and thought "Hey, I'll add this to my list because it looks like a cool astronaut/time travel/survival story," delete it immediately.

If you're into pretentious art house filmmakers trying really really hard to be Stanley Kubrick and artistic exercises masquerading as movies that spend ninety minutes going absolutely nowhere and making no sense whatsoever, boy howdy, is this one for you!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gaunab posted:

Has anyone seen The Red Road? I watched the first two episodes but I want to know if it's worth watching. So far the daughter and her boyfriend are annoying and bad.
Yeah I dug it. Things get very dark very quickly, and you rapidly begin to despise almost everyone as being a real piece of poo poo, similar to breaking bad in that regard.

I am looking forward to the next season. What is up with the sludge!?!? :psyduck:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Love (2011)

If you read the description and thought "Hey, I'll add this to my list because it looks like a cool astronaut/time travel/survival story," delete it immediately.

If you're into pretentious art house filmmakers trying really really hard to be Stanley Kubrick and artistic exercises masquerading as movies that spend ninety minutes going absolutely nowhere and making no sense whatsoever, boy howdy, is this one for you!

Thanks for this anti-suggestion. Removed!

I will echo the poster further up saying that The Best Offer is worth a watch, personally I loved it.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Ok so I'm watching Queen of Earth and its almost done and I like it. Reminds me of Repulsion. It's not going to end good.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Totally TWISTED posted:

I will echo the poster further up saying that The Best Offer is worth a watch, personally I loved it.

I have it on my list and I was debating watching it the other day. Is it more of a thriller? Drama? Other?

I found a fun little indy comedy on Netflix called Life Partners. It's about two female BFF's, one straight, one lesbian, who begin to grow apart after one gets engaged. I'm not saying it's one you'll watch 10 times or anything, but it was a fun little movie with some laugh-out-loud moments.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Totally TWISTED posted:

No problem, and I'm glad to have saved you an hour and a half of your life. There are very few films that I'm actually grumpy about having seen from start to finish, and that one is high on the list. I'm sure it has some merit as an artistic exercise, but as a standalone title billed as a time travel/space movie, no friggin' way.

Retail Slave posted:

I have it on my list and I was debating watching it the other day. Is it more of a thriller? Drama? Other?

Falls neatly into the "drama" category.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shadow Hunters is poo poo.
Not even entertaining or endearing poo poo.

It just is poo poo.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just noticed that Netflix has added Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Siezure warning 22 min in and then a few more times, i liked it, not nearly as cheeseball as the first.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I watched Ex Machina and enjoyed it. Not sure how I felt about the ending I feel they could have gone a different direction than the murder spree but I can also see why they did it so she could feel free.

Is Bone Tomahawk worth a watch?

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

ExCruceLeo posted:

Is Bone Tomahawk worth a watch?

Yeah it's nice relaxing western rom-com that you and the wife will enjoy on a special night

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but The Detectorists is loving great

http://www.netflix.com/title/80065658

Super chill but somehow draws you in to the characters & plot. I haven't seen a series on Netflix yet with this kind of slow pace and simple story that simultaneously relaxes and completely entertains me so much.

Watch this show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dumb. posted:

Super chill but somehow draws you in to the characters & plot. I haven't seen a series on Netflix yet with this kind of slow pace and simple story that simultaneously relaxes and completely entertains me so much.

Watch this show.

Added to the list, sounds quirky enough to interest me.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

dumb. posted:

Watch this show.

I watched up to when the couple break up because of the photos then stopped because I'm sick of that particular plot device. It was pretty good otherwise but can't be arsed going through at least an episode of them dealing with it and maybe getting back together

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Netflix U.S.:

Visions starts off as a bog-standard haunted house story--couple moves into a new home, wife starts seeing weird poo poo (like mysterious hooded figures, glass breaking out of nowhere, and guns appearing out of thin air), nobody else sees it or believes her, she does some research and finds out that previous occupants thought the joint was full of ghosts, etc. I honestly thought it was going to be a total yawner ("Oh, the house was built on an ancient burial site!"), but was pleasantly surprised with how things turned out. Definitely worth watching.

If you're into revenge flicks (and don't mind Korean audio with English subtitles), you need to watch Oldboy. A drunk is picked up without warning or explanation and held in a private prison for fifteen years. When he finally gets out, he's obsessed with finding out who put him there and why. This film is amazing :toot:

The Academy Award-nominated World of Tomorrow is an animated short that answers the question, "Has Don Hertzfeldt finally learned how to draw something other than stick figures doing wacky things?" The answer is noep, enjoy 17 minutes of stick figures doing wacky things

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The final season of Peep Show is up on Hulu now. Thank God.

I'm gonna miss this show.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Turbo Kid was added to Netflix. It's ridiculous and pretty great if you like purposefully campy movies.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Why was Turbo Kid so good?

E:f,b. Don't read anything about it, just go watch it.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

fliptophead posted:

I watched up to when the couple break up because of the photos then stopped because I'm sick of that particular plot device. It was pretty good otherwise but can't be arsed going through at least an episode of them dealing with it and maybe getting back together

That sideplot wraps up as faster than me in the sack. If you liked the show otherwise I'd say stick with it, that whole thing doesn't last long at all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Friends is on Netflix if anyone feels like watching the best sitcom ever made

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

oldpainless posted:

That's not how you spell Seinfeld

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

I've seen through the whole series a few time and I've come to the conclusion that the Friends are really terrible people. Nothing they do is in keeping with any social conventions.

It's extra funny when you see everyone as the villain.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I've seen through the whole series a few time and I've come to the conclusion that the Friends are really terrible people. Nothing they do is in keeping with any social conventions.

It's extra funny when you see everyone as the villain.

Whereas the characters in Always Sunny or Peep Show are much more honest.

Not even kidding.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

syscall girl posted:

Whereas the characters in Always Sunny or Peep Show are much more honest.

Not even kidding.

I completely agree. Friends play at being normal, productive members of society but they are racists, homophobic and possibly sociopathic.

Sunny cast, at least, you know where they are coming from. Also terrible but... predictable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

dumb. posted:

That sideplot wraps up as faster than me in the sack. If you liked the show otherwise I'd say stick with it, that whole thing doesn't last long at all.

If thats the case I might give it another go. It just looked like it was about to spin off into that tired plot.