Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

at first i hated the fact that melee could miss, but after 2 chrysalids came out of the fog and whiffed on my psi trooper i think im coming around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

PhantomZero posted:

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes your monthly income won't show up? I had $1 at the end of the month, the supply drop came, and I still had $1. I was supposed to have gotten $180.

Yeah, this has happened to me a few times and its put me in a real lovely cycle of being behind because i cant buy any new items or towers or anything

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Yeah, this has happened to me a few times and its put me in a real lovely cycle of being behind because i cant buy any new items or towers or anything

I seem to recall this also happening to me in XCOM 1, I guess I just assumed it would have been patched by now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, I, uh, think I'm going to listen to the game's recommendation and stick with Veteran for this first playthrough, because Commander just kicked my rear end 7 ways in 3 hours. Couldn't get a good start, kept losing dudes, and the game popped a UFO Hunt Dark Event and I failed on it, the UFO found me and gently caress that mission I could already tell.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RBA Starblade posted:

I would if my soldiers would ever fire in it. :argh:

Conceal overwatch will only fire if that trooper ends up getting revealed.

Put everyone into overwatch except one. Have that guy throw a grenade or shoot or whatever.

Note that Rangers with Phantom wont reveal with the rest of the squad, so if they are not visible they will not take their concealed overwatch shot with the rest of the crew.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have to say, I forgot how much I dislike that early XCOM gameplay, where the difficulty is largely because it's very easy to go entire turns without your soldiers hitting a single shot. It's far more frustrating than fun.

I can't wait to get to the part where it's more about effective tactics and less about praying that your rookies actually kill something without their grenades someday.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

I have to say, I forgot how much I dislike that early XCOM gameplay, where the difficulty is largely because it's very easy to go entire turns without your soldiers hitting a single shot. It's far more frustrating than fun.

I can't wait to get to the part where it's more about effective tactics and less about praying that your rookies actually kill something without their grenades someday.

Just wait for an inevitable "Cinematic Mode" equivalent mod where you get a flat To-Hit boost perhaps?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kaincypher posted:

If you truly hate the timers, as I did, there's a workshop mod that removes them from most, but not all, levels.

What I really want/need to know if you can edit your files to remove them from all levels that have them.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Wow, the Codex is bullshit. Teleport and fire in the same round? Yeah please keep doing that you rear end in a top hat. Hey, why don't you clone when you get hit too? Ok, perfect. I hate you.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Harrow posted:

kill something without their grenades

I don't understand

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Underwhelmed posted:

Wow, the Codex is bullshit. Teleport and fire in the same round? Yeah please keep doing that you rear end in a top hat. Hey, why don't you clone when you get hit too? Ok, perfect. I hate you.

Count yourself lucky when they are electing to use their gun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PhantomZero posted:

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes your monthly income won't show up? I had $1 at the end of the month, the supply drop came, and I still had $1. I was supposed to have gotten $180.

Your monthly income doesn't get automatically added to your coffers. It appears as a supply drop on the map, and you have to go pick it up.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

On time limits, I hate em as much as the next guy but they're not so bad in here. Often I've found myself thinking at a certain point in a mission that there's no way I can finish, but then clutched it out on the last possible turn. Same goes for saving civs on retaliation missions, only done a few but I don't think I've saved more than 7. This is much more exhilarating to play than EU/EW, you just never feel safe, and yeah you're probably gonna end up making some questionable moves. But that's okay, fortunately losing missions isn't a complete disaster like it used to be. Or so I've heard...

Now for the faceless, seems a couple times it's activated on the same turn that a pod wanders in, which makes it much harder to deal with. I was under the impression it would only activate when you go to rescue the civ it's disguised as or when all other hostiles are dead, but I guess that's not the case.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i like how the repeater on the shardgun says suppressor on it. its not very effective.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LuiCypher posted:

Wow. "Oh, they're terrible except the fact that you can always Run and Gun with them." Are you kidding? That's an incredible ability. In addition to its predictable damage (you don't need to bank on crits for a kill if that's the scenario) you can sword down one guy in a turn and then run back to support the rest of your squad to sword another in the next turn. It's a very mobile playstyle that always sticking to the shotgun can't replicate.

Also, they're baller insurance against Faceless once they get Bladestorm. Go up to a civilian in a single move, they transform, sword them. They try to attack you in melee, you get to sword them again before they can and you kill them.

Storm Guns do more damage baseline(8-10) than Blademaster Fusion Blades(7-9) *before* you add in the incredibly powerful special ammo types that exist, *before* you consider that the shotgun is going to crit every shot, and before you consider that the shotgun gets Rapid Fire. You don't need to run and gun every turn basically ever, once every three turns is plenty considering you're talking about a ranged weapon. The shotgun provides just as much mobility as the sword because you don't need to end your turn up a guy's rear end every time you want to attack. Being good against Faceless is not really important because by the time you're in the Mag Weapons tier faceless are one of the least threatening enemies out there. I have two colonel blade rangers and they're fun but they're simply not as good as the one stealth guy I have.

The only thing that sword really excels at is fighting Chryssalids, because with Bladestorm/Blademaster Fusion Swords you can counter-kill Chryssalids as they try to eat you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PhantomZero posted:

You have to manually pick up the supply drop to get it. It shows up on the map.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm just not in the right mood to spend four entire rounds cursing at my soldiers as they miss shot after shot, and then reinforcements arrive and my only Grenadier gets flanked and one-shot. And this is coming from someone who's enjoying Darkest Dungeon's brand of bullshit right now. Something about early-game XCOM is a special brand of infuriating to me and I'm going to have to be in a much better mood to get through it.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So I put together a bit of a patchwork pool here. I know there's others collating all the goons, but I chucked a celebrity one in here, put some other friends in, then made some others of my own.
It's a 61 character pool so yeah, want to add some dumb people to your game, download this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t73fyql2szie3x3/supermax2.bin?dl=0

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh hey the mid to late game is some fun poo poo, let me tell you. That's not including the Sectopod, uh, pod behind the VIP guy, so I had to fight every pod to finish up the mission. Lotta good supplies though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So uh, just letting everyone know do not melee Mutons. Ever. One just crit my assault for 11 damage. :stonk:

Also are people riding the doom clock like Beags? Or actually trying to control?

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

MisterBibs posted:

What I really want/need to know if you can edit your files to remove them from all levels that have them.
You need to do it in UnrealEd. The mod that disables timers on the workshop now does it from most of the levels except the one right after the tutorial (because that appears to be its own mission type) and the UFO missions, which from looking at it doesn't appear to have a really easy way to remove the timer like the other mission types.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Man for all the times poo poo goes wrong, which is often, that one mission you just get everything to happen perfectly always makes up for it. :feelsgood:

All my goon soldiers have died in ways that would make Monty Python proud too.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
So far I'm getting murdered, losing men/women, enemies. Working as intended. :xcom:

Also, you can name your weapons. :3:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So is the Advanced Warfare Center's ability only a chance to proc per promotion? Does staffing it affect that or should I be clearing it out when there are no wounded? (Which is like 1 day out of 30)

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kanos posted:

Storm Guns do more damage baseline(8-10) than Blademaster Fusion Blades(7-9) *before* you add in the incredibly powerful special ammo types that exist, *before* you consider that the shotgun is going to crit every shot, and before you consider that the shotgun gets Rapid Fire. You don't need to run and gun every turn basically ever, once every three turns is plenty considering you're talking about a ranged weapon. The shotgun provides just as much mobility as the sword because you don't need to end your turn up a guy's rear end every time you want to attack. Being good against Faceless is not really important because by the time you're in the Mag Weapons tier faceless are one of the least threatening enemies out there. I have two colonel blade rangers and they're fun but they're simply not as good as the one stealth guy I have.

The only thing that sword really excels at is fighting Chryssalids, because with Bladestorm/Blademaster Fusion Swords you can counter-kill Chryssalids as they try to eat you.

Shotguns have ammo (an actual problem in XCOM 2 sometimes) and you can only dash and attack with a shotgun once every few turns. Also there is Reaper. You can also take the skill that allows you to reposition after a kill so assuming you use the blade for a kill (and get it) you don't end up up the rear end of that guys pod.

Edit:
Also I don't know at what point it starts happening, but the point where having enough cores to safely consider using special ammo on more than a couple people is probably pretty drat late in the game.

nessin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 6, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

gullah jack posted:

You need to do it in UnrealEd. The mod that disables timers on the workshop now does it from most of the levels except the one right after the tutorial (because that appears to be its own mission type) and the UFO missions, which from looking at it doesn't appear to have a really easy way to remove the timer like the other mission types.

Ew. But thanks for letting me know.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Codex are only 2000 in the multiplayer, which seems cheap. They are a really powerful unit to be able to get as a relatively cheap cost extra unit to round out your squad. Like that's around the price range that Smoke Jumpers were in EU right?

Edit: I think I remembered this wrong actually, smoke jumpers were 1250 with light plasma, but also the maximum squad cost was 5000 instead of 10000, so codex are effectively cheaper.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 6, 2016

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

MisterBibs posted:

Ew. But thanks for letting me know.
I took a look at it and it looks like he got the rest of the timed missions, though, so you still might want to check it out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

gullah jack posted:

I took a look at it and it looks like he got the rest of the timed missions, though, so you still might want to check it out.

At the moment I'm waiting for a sale, bug/balance patches, you name it. I was mostly just curious.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am really really bad at the "move to low cover to take a shot, or dash to high cover?" game :(

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Quote is not edit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LibbyM posted:

Edit: I think I remembered this wrong actually, smoke jumpers were 1250 with light plasma, but also the maximum squad cost was 5000 instead of 10000, so codex are effectively cheaper.

Edit again: Quote is not edit.

Max squad cost was 8000 not 5000. I remember because originally Ethereals were 8000 points and rolled face hilariously until theu were upped to 8500.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Goonpool has been updated again with the latest casualties brave resistance fighters.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Zore posted:

Max squad cost was 8000 not 5000. I remember because originally Ethereals were 8000 points and rolled face hilariously until theu were upped to 8500.

Am I remembering the 1250 price right on smoke jumpers? I played so much of that games multiplayer but I fell off when Enemy Within cameout so it's been quite a while now.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Man the final tier of equipment is so loving badass looking.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Goonpool has been updated again with the latest casualties brave resistance fighters.

where's the link?

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
Anyone else having issues where mods don't appear on the launcher despite being subscribed? Tried relaunching steam and resubscribing, but neither work.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

TG-Chrono posted:

where's the link?

In the OP for future reference, but it's here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4vbWbHpBrhqTFNsLTJGcmpVR2c

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I tested my theory, and the AWC will NOT give you bonus perks on retraining. :smith:

It WILL, however, keep your existing bonuses even if you retrain, which is nice if you're like me and get Shadowstrike on a Sharpshooter that was kitted out to be a Gunslinger, so I retrained him to be the snipiest sniper that ever did snipe and holy poo poo, opening shot on an ambush in the next mission out he did 11 damage with the regular starter sniper rifle. :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is the Advanced Warfare Center's ability only a chance to proc per promotion? Does staffing it affect that or should I be clearing it out when there are no wounded? (Which is like 1 day out of 30)

AWC will give every soldier 1 single random promotion on top of their stuff. It's quasi-retroactive, if you have promotions left you will get it eventually (provided you don't die :v: ). You don't get more than one, but hey it's free stuff/levels.