Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LibbyM posted:

Man the literal free movement that can sometimes be as far as a full dash that you get out of the spider armor is absolutely amazing. I had a ranger rescue 3 civilians in one action doing that, while everyone else was able to wait around in case of faceless.

I really hope there's a lategame armor that still gives you that free movement action like the spider.

There is, and it's got other tricks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Silly question, but the "eCPSM_PoolOnly" command will also work for the "RewardUnitCharacterPoolSelectionMode" command line, right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

euphemism posted:

congrats, you've learned how to crawl! please run from this cheetah intent on devouring your entrails. make sure to take out the garbage and mow the lawn on your way out.
You have five minutes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I make hard decisions in real life. In games, I'm the Player, and the only reason to be given only lovely options is to find the other option that isn't lovely.

if you are looking for a game that does not force you to choose between multiple suboptimal choices, may I suggest Literally Any Other Video Game On The Market?

because seriously, that is the whole drat point of the game

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I make hard decisions in real life. In games, I'm the Player, and the only reason to be given only lovely options is to find the other option that isn't lovely.

The Earth was conquered by aliens. All of the options are lovely. :xcom:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom is a series with a reputation for being easy and everything always being fine.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

MisterBibs posted:

have you considered playing neopets?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Xcom is a series with a reputation for being easy and everything always being fine.

Now go tap that young man over there on the shoulder and let him know youre here to rescue him. *gets face slashed off and blown up by a car*

I think tomorrow Im going to try a few missions without the timer extensions. I think I might be over my own fear of hitting them every map, especially now that I know just how far you can move per turn. I still think stealth overwatch is broken because my soldiers still miss 90% of overwatch shots from stealth despite all the penalties being removed. :argh:

Iro
Oct 26, 2005
7V1 Comp EZ win
Is there any way to see a breakdown of the "debuffs" I have seen so far? While some of them like the Acid Grenade has a pretty clear tooltip, things like "Marked" and "Disorientated" are still pretty unclear to me what is going on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So apparently you can auto-blademaster your way out of snake grabs. It will also sometimes cause you to continually writhe throughtout the rest of the map on your knees.

♪I got a feeeeeling...♫

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Okay, am I retarded or is my poo poo broken? I scan at the Resistance HQ and it never generates any Intel. I'm starving for Intel at this point and everyone keeps telling me that I can gather it that way, but nothing's going. Am I doing something wrong or my poo poo totally hosed?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is anyone abusing the ranger concealment mechanic in non timer missions?

I am blasting through some of the more difficult missions by using the ranger to act as a spotter for my sharpshooter. The AI doesn't seem to know how to react properly and just run around like headless chicken as the sharpshooter fire nail them turn after turn.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pathos posted:

Okay, am I retarded or is my poo poo broken? I scan at the Resistance HQ and it never generates any Intel. I'm starving for Intel at this point and everyone keeps telling me that I can gather it that way, but nothing's going. Am I doing something wrong or my poo poo totally hosed?
It doesn't give you intel right away, but they ought to come to you with a mission about where you can go pick up some intel.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pathos posted:

Did you change what benefit scanning at HQ gets you? It costs 25 supply and you can switch between faster healing, faster build time and intel generation

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So feel free to answer via spoilers, if I use the skulljack on a mission, does some crazy poo poo go down?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is there a way I can deploy my character pool characters into active service and be guaranteed the role I want for them, or at least swap to a role if they're assigned one I don't want?

I'm a huge loving nerd and made my old Fallout guy and he's a shotgun dude always dammit :argh:

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Zore posted:

Did you change what benefit scanning at HQ gets you? It costs 25 supply and you can switch between faster healing, faster build time and intel generation

Ah, I did change this to rapid healing. How do I change it back?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Strong Sauce posted:

So feel free to answer via spoilers, if I use the skulljack on a mission, does some crazy poo poo go down?

yeah, it'll spawn an enemy the first time you do it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Strong Sauce posted:

Nope. Use away.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pathos posted:

Ah, I did change this to rapid healing. How do I change it back?

Go to the buy screen on the base and pay the supply. Its right next to the scan button.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Welp, got a campaign wipe. Tried hacking something for once cause, hey, 80% chance for some alloys not bad. Oh it failed. Well I can handle some reinforcements. Oh that stun lancer dodged the 90% shot and crit killed a soldier. Well I didn't need them anyways! Oh the other stun lancer survived with one health and knocked a soldier unconscious. Well this is probably not gonna end well but maybe I can evac in time. Oh I stepped into the wrong tile and triggered a MEC group. Oh and MECs can apparently fire rockets. Good to know :shepicide:

I probably wouldn't of lost if I actually had advanced armour so my soldiers weren't made of tissue paper. Unfortunately, I sold all my trooper corpses thinking "well what could those possibly be used for? Besides troopers aren't rare I can always get more". Turns out almost all of them turn into stun lancers.

gently caress stun lancers.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Zore posted:

yeah, it'll spawn an enemy the first time you do it

Dan Didio posted:

Nope. Use away.

One of these is a faceless post.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Strong Sauce posted:

yes, you die horribly.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I did the Avenger defense mission today and sweet jesus that was fun. Bradford just kept sending out more bogans and by the end of it I had nine cigarette smoking champions of humanity covering each other to victory. Two more sent out and honestly, we'd have had to take our socks off keep track of who we had out there (It's okay we're wearing flip-flops).

My big regret is you can't see the first names here which is where half the comedy comes from. Also Tony "Boatstopper" Abbott was injured and had to sit this one out.

We made Kelly an honorable Bogan because quite frankly with a ponytail and cap on I knew where she wanted to be (on a Contiki tour getting rat-arsed).

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Zore posted:

Go to the buy screen on the base and pay the supply. Its right next to the scan button.

Nope, that only has an option to buy a single soldier. Do I only get to do this once a month or something?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I always thought the TFTD feelies were really odd. Like, you had veterans saying how deadly and dangerous the previous war was. Friends dying in the dark and poo poo like that? When the gently caress did that happen? Every time the aliens flew one of their spaceships onto our lovely planet, it was gone with all hands on deck, and suddenly the primitive apes were

Kazanir posted:

The Earth was conquered by aliens. All of the options are lovely. :xcom:

Sure, in the alternate universe in which XCOM2 is set, where the Commander wasn't a Player. Sorta like Bearded Crazy Riker Universe. I'll roll with it once I get the game, but we all know this happened.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

are there any streamers/youtubers who are awful players but aren't annoying to watch personality wise. i need to see their misery.

MisterBibs posted:

Sure, in the alternate universe in which XCOM2 is set, where the Commander wasn't a good Commander. Sorta like Bearded Crazy Riker Universe.

the commander actually was good. the aliens had end game level ships and equipment and one of the council members pulled funding and sold you out.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wizard Styles posted:

This is where I first started having second thoughts about delaying the Blacksite mission for ~2 months.

I unlocked the Mimic Beacon just before that mission, if I hadn't that probably would have gotten someone killed.

i did the blacksite only engaging one pod in the objective room :smuggo:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MisterBibs posted:

Sure, in the alternate universe in which XCOM2 is set, where the Commander wasn't a Player. Sorta like Bearded Crazy Riker Universe. I'll roll with it once I get the game, but we all know this happened.

I have some bad news for you about Enemy Unkown.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Sometimes a pod just runs into pissing distance of your dudes out of loving nowhere without revealing your squad. Sometimes an ADVENT officer kills your rookie on the roof in one turn with a mark and single shot. :xcom:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So apparently you can auto-blademaster your way out of snake grabs. It will also sometimes cause you to continually writhe throughtout the rest of the map on your knees.

♪I got a feeeeeling...♫

Squeezed the poo poo right out of him... almost. But he's on a mission and that's not going to stop him.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

are there any streamers/youtubers who are awful players but aren't annoying to watch personality wise. i need to see their misery.

LlamaChomp is entertaining to watch and while he was pretty decent at LW, has struggled a bit to find his footing in XCOM 2 (today's stream ended in a squad wipe.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dear Beagle and other pros please do a guide on How Not To Suck At Geoscape

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I have a question before I impulse buy this (barely resisted pre-ordering it):

Do customization options override your upgrades? I mean, if I have a soldier with MEGATRONIUM ARMOR MARK 84 WITH PSIONICEMPATHFIBERWEAVE , can I still dress him or her as a hobo and keep the bonuses? I really want to keep that ragged bunch looks throughout the game because of MY IMMERSION :byodood:. That would be a huge plus for me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Unfortunately, right now the armor is limited to whatever class of armor you have, but it probably won't be long before someone makes a mod to unlock the customizations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Pomp posted:

i did the blacksite only engaging one pod in the objective room :smuggo:
Man, I would not have the patience for that. Overwatch-crawling through Blacksite took long enough, trying to go through that undetected would have been beyond me.
Also there was that surprise Muton + Stun Lancer + Shield rear end in a top hat group right between the objective room and the extraction point, as much as I would have loved to avoid fighting those I'm not sure that was in the books.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wizard Styles posted:

Man, I would not have the patience for that. Overwatch-crawling through Blacksite took long enough, trying to go through that undetected would have been beyond me.
Also there was that surprise Muton + Stun Lancer + Shield rear end in a top hat group right between the objective room and the extraction point, as much as I would have loved to avoid fighting those I'm not sure that was in the books.

i loving love sneaking missions

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Dear Beagle and other pros please do a guide on How Not To Suck At Geoscape

Ride the doomsday timer. Keep something that knocks off points in your back pocket (raiding the Black Site, raiding a research site, etc) and just use the 22 days you get after the final countdown as stress free time where you can let the aliens do whatever while you collect resources. then as you get near the end of your time pop one of the doomsday knock offs. rinse and repeat.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Let's talk about poison:

1: looks like poisoned people can poison people who are standing next to them
2: often you're in a poison (or fire) spot, and if you don't move you're not poisoned or not on fire, but as soon as you leave in any direction you get poisoned / catch fire
3: poison seems to last a random amount of turns instead of doing a set amount of damage like in the last game (possibly not the case, just an observation

I just got someone get poisoned by standing next to someone else. That person had just got over being poisoned. As a result I lost 2 squad members when I was going to be just down one in my first blacksite mission, lol. at least my sniper is still alive. Rip in Pieces, high ranking ranger.

Beaglerush would stand a person next to panicked people, in the time I saw him play. Does that help reduce panic? I've read the manual and none of this stuff is mentioned. Just seems annoying :(

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Elliotw2 posted:

Unfortunately, right now the armor is limited to whatever class of armor you have, but it probably won't be long before someone makes a mod to unlock the customizations.

Yeah, I think I'll hold to my money till end of the month and/or someone releases that mod. I was halfway through Ironman EW anyway, which I spoiled the transition to X-Com 2 on a mistake and really took the joy out of it now :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Zore posted:

Ride the doomsday timer. Keep something that knocks off points in your back pocket (raiding the Black Site, raiding a research site, etc) and just use the 22 days you get after the final countdown as stress free time where you can let the aliens do whatever while you collect resources. then as you get near the end of your time pop one of the doomsday knock offs. rinse and repeat.

There is a countdown after you let the pips fill? I got antsy when there was one left and started doing things.