Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Digirat posted:

The only time I've ever used one of those buttons was one time in bioshock infinite where I wanted to know which which was the wrong way to go, so I could get all the items that way in case I passed a one-way event, since that's what you do in games.

Hah, same here. The Dead Space line says I go right at this junction? Okay but first I'll head left and loot everything/trigger the jump scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm not sure if Skyrim and Fallout 4 having one of those guidelines as a feature is responsible for them massively simplifying quests and objectives (no use having the guideline confused by a buston of objectives, and no value in having a guideline pointing to something you need to go elsewhere to use) or a side-effect of it, but I know it's connected somehow, and I hate it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Based off of the name and the new hires from around the time F-stop was most likely going to be based on a tech demo where you could manipulate the size of objects based on forced perspective. On my phone so can't dig it up but it was, like, if you're looking at the Statue of Liberty you could click and drag it down onto a table and it would be tiny and then click and drag one of the objects on the table into the distance and it would be enormous.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Sleeveless posted:

Based off of the name and the new hires from around the time F-stop was most likely going to be based on a tech demo where you could manipulate the size of objects based on forced perspective. On my phone so can't dig it up but it was, like, if you're looking at the Statue of Liberty you could click and drag it down onto a table and it would be tiny and then click and drag one of the objects on the table into the distance and it would be enormous.

You're thinking of The Museum of Simulation Technology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfll06X16c

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inco posted:

this is a cool idea. i dunno how potentially complex the puzzles can get, but i liked that painting room.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Every game needs what I've since retroactively termed a Clairvoyance Trail. Sometimes I'll get so annoyed that I can't figure out how to get from Here to There that I'll noclip/fly/whatever to There and walk back to Here to figure out just what the hell I was missing.

Don't feel an ounce of shame over it, since half the time the result boils down to "Christ, I'dve prolly never noticed that little path".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlueKingBar posted:

I give Valve a lot of poo poo for stuff like gameplay balance and the like, but they really know their poo poo when it comes to subtly directing the player's attention.
I strongly disagree. Portal 2 was full of huge areas where the only "puzzle" was "find the one thing you can stick a portal to and do that" and those took me way longer to get through than the actual puzzle rooms. (Also they were tedious and pointless and shouldn't have been in the game at all)

Action Tortoise posted:

i think a game should boot up the display options before it begins so you can tweak the experience to your preferences, and having an "i'm lost" button or detective vision/witcher senses that points the way is a crutch for level designers.
Definitely with you on the display options, but I'd also add that they need to have that thing where you click a button and it detects what settings are best for you. You're right about the other thing as well, but as long as the levels are badly designed having the button to show the way forward is better than nothing.

Digirat posted:

The only time I've ever used one of those buttons was one time in bioshock infinite where I wanted to know which which was the wrong way to go, so I could get all the items that way in case I passed a one-way event, since that's what you do in games.
Nothing more irritating than realising you've accidentally gone the right way. It's really odd how many games are still designed around making the player want to go the wrong way first, and in general how level design is still so bad in terms of one-way passages, dead ends, inaccessible areas and just bad architecture.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

Nothing more irritating than realising you've accidentally gone the right way. It's really odd how many games are still designed around making the player want to go the wrong way first, and in general how level design is still so bad in terms of one-way passages, dead ends, inaccessible areas and just bad architecture.

I've more-or-less given up on meticulously scraping every map clean of pickups, I think Bioshock Infinite is the last one I kinda tried. 90% of the time you just get a basic pickup (if that), 30% of the time there's a trap or ambush (often causing more attrition than the pickup). Games go so much smoother and faster when you shut your brain off and just go the way the game wants you to.

This is also why I've come to be annoyed at the vast majority of AAA games that come out lately. Fallout 4 was particularly bad since there is genuinely no exotic/rare loot except magazines/bobbles, and almost all of those are on mainline paths in plain view on a desk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Evilreaver posted:

This is also why I've come to be annoyed at the vast majority of AAA games that come out lately. Fallout 4 was particularly bad since there is genuinely no exotic/rare loot except magazines/bobbles, and almost all of those are on mainline paths in plain view on a desk.

FO4 is really loving bad about this because there really isn't any reason to explore anymore. You're even risking breaking other quests by visiting or clearing areas early and then when you get a quest to do it the game doesn't know what to do and shits its self. It's basically designed just to have you walk from quest arrow to quest arrow in a straight line.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BlueKingBar posted:

I give Valve a lot of poo poo for stuff like gameplay balance and the like, but they really know their poo poo when it comes to subtly directing the player's attention.

I don't know any valve map that isn't a confusing mishmash or entirely linear. I think the worst offender is Half-Life 2 where they try to create a sense of urgency to hide the fact you're pretty much walking in a straight line the whole time with the occasional short pause to interact with a source engine tech demo or get talked at by your waifu.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rodbeard posted:

I don't know any valve map that isn't a confusing mishmash or entirely linear. I think the worst offender is Half-Life 2 where they try to create a sense of urgency to hide the fact you're pretty much walking in a straight line the whole time with the occasional short pause to interact with a source engine tech demo or get talked at by your waifu.

They're incredibly good at it in half life 2 though. It's fundamentally a really linear game but they give you the sense that the path you have to use is one that you want to use, because there's a helicopter attacking you and there's a tunnel you can use to get away etc. Never mind that the tunnel is the only way to go, you just want to get away, or you can see supplies where you need to go so that makes you want to get to them.

What seriously disappointed me about valve was the way they changed TF2. I remember listening to the developer commentary in that game and they mentioned putting a lot of work into giving each character a very distinct silhouette so that you could immediately tell them apart and make fast threat assessment. Two things ruined that--one, all the stupid hats and visual effects made characters not immediately stand out based on what they could do anymore, and two, they made so many items that drastically changed the way a class was played that just by looking at an enemy you no longer had any idea what they were capable of. This also flew in the face of earlier design where they said they wanted to make items that played to a character's strengths rather than covering up their weaknesses or radically changing them.

You can see that shift in the earlier vs. later items they made too. The kritzkrieg came in the first set of new items they made for TF2 and is a really brilliant item because it feels different for the person who's using it and makes them think differently, but on the other team, your reaction to a medic with the kritzkrieg is pretty much the same as to one with the normal medic gun: You don't want to let him to become shiny, and once he does, odds are good that you want to get away very fast. So you can see a medic and instantly know how to respond, without having to guess what items he's actually using.

The sniper's bow and arrow was probably the first example of valve leaving that design behind, but it didn't get horrible until the soldier/demo update loving trashed the idea altogether.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I was an incredibly frequent TF2 nut until the Demo/Soldier update. The instant I played with the new demo knight thing I just sad "nope this is terrible" and I haven't touched it since. That game was so good and it just changed

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Could you explain what that update changed and why it made things terrible?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Febreeze posted:

I was an incredibly frequent TF2 nut until the Demo/Soldier update. The instant I played with the new demo knight thing I just sad "nope this is terrible" and I haven't touched it since. That game was so good and it just changed

The thing is, it's hit the point where there's really no 'there's no way that's real, that's loving dumb' with TF2 anymore

Like, I could say that the next update introduces a weapon that makes heavies into healers or lets spies teleport or makes scouts into turret builders or turns the pryo into a sniping class, and there'd be nothing but shrugs and 'probably' from people who've watched the deterioration

Leavemywife posted:

Demoknights. Turning the trapper class into a melee-focused class that deals damage based on forward charging.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

Every game needs what I've since retroactively termed a Clairvoyance Trail. Sometimes I'll get so annoyed that I can't figure out how to get from Here to There that I'll noclip/fly/whatever to There and walk back to Here to figure out just what the hell I was missing.

Don't feel an ounce of shame over it, since half the time the result boils down to "Christ, I'dve prolly never noticed that little path".

Can I just say I straight up love your whole posting gimmick. I just imagine you loading up Mario Bros and save stating before you jump on that first goomba in 1-1. You're the best.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

The thing is, it's hit the point where there's really no 'there's no way that's real, that's loving dumb' with TF2 anymore

One thing that really disappointed me about TF2 was that pyros could only really do one thing after a while and that was airblast. Fire? Most classes could either cause fire or another, better, DoT. Someone else on fire? Again half the classes could throw milk, piss or just heal past it. Spy checking? Who cares about spychecking because everyone's just going to instinctively hit every team mate they see to make sure. Once they started giving everyone weapons that increased movement speed and stuff, there was just never any reason to use a pyro unless you had a real intense love for airblasting projectiles. Oh wait then they started adding in projectiles that couldn't be airblasted.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

BobbyK posted:

Can I just say I straight up love your whole posting gimmick. I just imagine you loading up Mario Bros and save stating before you jump on that first goomba in 1-1. You're the best.

Well yeah, dude, it's not like video games are a safe space to experience failure or burn time or anything, they're important and finishing them as quickly and efficiently as possible is the only way to live.

You know Magic the Gathering's player archetypes? Timmy, Spike, Johnny, Vorthos, Melvin etc? Bibs is the Dunning-Kreuger player archetype.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

XCOM 2 is pretty great so far, but goddamn it just won't stop loving around with my camera. Any time you come into view of something the game deems important it immediately pauses your current turn, slooowly pans over there, and plays a voice-over. Particularly with mission objectives that'll happen once when the missions starts, once when you come into view of it, and then once more when you actually get close to it. It just gets pretty annoying to have control taken away time and time again when you're just in the process of doing something important.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inco posted:

I would KILL for this to become a proper game with high levels of polish as long as two things were changed:

1. You can't interact with objects behind velvet ropes. That's just rude.
2. The puzzle rooms never explained, not once, any of the concepts.

"Here's a room. There's an exit. Figure out a way to gently caress with the game sufficiently until you can find the exit, or find a way to exploit the physics and forced perspectives to weasel around Rule 1."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

One thing that really disappointed me about TF2 was that pyros could only really do one thing after a while and that was airblast. Fire? Most classes could either cause fire or another, better, DoT. Someone else on fire? Again half the classes could throw milk, piss or just heal past it. Spy checking? Who cares about spychecking because everyone's just going to instinctively hit every team mate they see to make sure. Once they started giving everyone weapons that increased movement speed and stuff, there was just never any reason to use a pyro unless you had a real intense love for airblasting projectiles. Oh wait then they started adding in projectiles that couldn't be airblasted.

Those were always in the game though. They're called bullets.

Leavemywife posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=han3AfjH210

They took that and then gave him a shield that makes you rush forward when you right click and a sword that gives you more health and movement speed. You can still use the other weapons whenever you wish.

I got into the game really late so I was never really bothered. The only thing that miffed me was when they changed the Scout gun that increased your movement speed depending on how much damage you've done to other players.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Time to hire some new pawns! these ones look like they have good skills, let's call them in and see if they

:negative:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BobbyK posted:

What gimmick? He would prefer if games were less irritating. Is that a gimmick?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Tiggum posted:

I strongly disagree. Portal 2 was full of huge areas where the only "puzzle" was "find the one thing you can stick a portal to and do that" and those took me way longer to get through than the actual puzzle rooms. (Also they were tedious and pointless and shouldn't have been in the game at all)

Yeah I didn't like Portal 2 single player very much because of that. It felt much more like a traditional puzzle game. There was a right way to progress and your job was to figure out that one solution the designers put in. Shoot the portal here and then here, and so on. Something about entire walls or even entire rooms being the "place" to shoot portals made it feel like I was making my own solutions in Portal 1. Portal 2 just gutted that feeling as I just hunted down the white bits of wall the designers put in. Probably didn't bother people who love puzzle games anyway, but it basically ruined the game for someone who hates traditional puzzle gameplay like me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Higsian posted:

Yeah I didn't like Portal 2 single player very much because of that. It felt much more like a traditional puzzle game. There was a right way to progress and your job was to figure out that one solution the designers put in. Shoot the portal here and then here, and so on. Something about entire walls or even entire rooms being the "place" to shoot portals made it feel like I was making my own solutions in Portal 1. Portal 2 just gutted that feeling as I just hunted down the white bits of wall the designers put in. Probably didn't bother people who love puzzle games anyway, but it basically ruined the game for someone who hates traditional puzzle gameplay like me.
I like puzzle games and I hated that. I don't mind there being one solution so long as it takes thinking and experimenting to work it out. Those rooms were literally just "look around until you see the spot you're meant to go next". It's not a puzzle, it's just a waste of time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Those were always in the game though. They're called bullets.

Nope, bullets were hitscan. The only non-reflectable one in the base game was the medic's syringes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

What gimmick? He would prefer if games were less irritating. Is that a gimmick?

Figures that Tiggum would need a walkthrough to see what makes Bibs funny.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inco posted:

Jesus christ the last puzzle, now we're really thinking with portals.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inco posted:

Yo this game looks fuckin' cool beyond belief, I hope it gets fully fleshed out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And that's just the old tech demo video, here's a newer one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEBEQhwG-rU

The game is in development, but there's only one developer, so it's going to take some time. The website is http://www.pillowcastlegames.com/.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's no revolution 60

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Somfin posted:

Figures that Tiggum would need a walkthrough to see what makes Bibs funny.

:drat:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Both the idea of someone being unable to imagine a world in which you would play a videogame without cheating and the idea of people caring what videogames you do or don't cheat at are extremely funny. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle?

No. Not really. The way you like to play a videogame is the correct way to play that videogame. It's ok to be bad at videogames, it's ok to be impatient with videogames, it's ok to cheat at videogames. You don't owe videogames anything.

Maybe try not to call people masochistic for enjoying a challenge though, you jingus.

HMS Boromir has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Feb 6, 2016

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Leavemywife posted:

The guy below you explained it pretty well but yeah, the demoknight. The game was deteoriating by that point with all the hat bullshit and updates changing the way classes played. The balance started going out the window. Then they make it so that one class completely changes, effectively adding a tenth, really annoying class that didn't feel well balanced at all.

The bad part was right after major updates like this, everyone would be trying out the new stuff for weeks so every server was like 6 demoknights and a 5 soldiers( since the soldier updated at the same time) and it felt like a different, far worse game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Higsian posted:

The original Portal was genius because going outside the bounds of levels and finding hints that things weren't quite right was a big part of the game and happened organically despite its linear nature. Portal 2 never really did that, and playing the Talos Principle and seeing the Star puzzles built around breaking multiple puzzles or escaping level boundaries with lateral thinking really makes me wish Portal 2 had something like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Digirat posted:

Time to hire some new pawns! these ones look like they have good skills, let's call them in and see if they

:negative:

What am I looking at here? I guess all your guys are the same class or something?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Adequate posted:

What am I looking at here? I guess all your guys are the same class or something?

They're all wearing the princess dress, which looks like it has good stats because it compares the stats to just the chest armor slot, but takes up every armor slot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

He's talking about the same thing I talked about

Leal posted:

Content: Dragon's Dogma PC port comes with DLC outfits, one of them is a princess outfit and EVERY.PAWN.WEARS.IT. People think its the ultimate armor except it overwrites everything else you're wearing but the game checks its stats against your torso armor and not everything you're wearing. Its not good armor!

DLC armor that almost every female pawn is wearing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh hahaha, great job guys!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't even care about the stats on it, I'm just getting tired of calling in a bunch of pawns when looking for one to hire, just to see 5 of these things come strolling out of the fog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Digirat posted:

I don't even care about the stats on it, I'm just getting tired of calling in a bunch of pawns when looking for one to hire, just to see 5 of these things come strolling out of the fog.

Yea, it's bad enough that when I need a caster pawn I only search for male ones.