Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Friction posted:

Am I just dumb, or is there no way to see how many turns of control there are left on hacked turrets and such? Or any other status effect duration?

It's random! Except shutdown/stun, they explicitly tell you how long until they end. I've hacked a robot for 1 turn, and I've disoriented someone for 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Orgophlax posted:

Lost my first soldier last night on my first black site mission.

Had no idea I'd run into a MEC so soon. Some how it was able to jump through a tiny little window on the side of the building and get a flank on three of my troops.

I just ran into one of those fuckers, drat thing was smart enough to destroy the building some of my troops were on, killing one instantly and wounding the other that was finished off by one of his ADVENT Trooper partners.

In other questions, apparently once you 'unlock' a weapon that tier is infinite now? That's an unexpected, but not entirely unwelcome, change. Or is this just a change that only applies to Veteran and below difficulties?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Tae posted:

So what are the safe stuff i should sell to thr blackmarket?

Not corpses, let me tell you that much.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I dont think ive ever seen bladestorm actually hit jesus christ gently caress you octopuses

oh my god they heal?!?!

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 6, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sheep posted:

Not corpses, let me tell you that much.

Sold your Advent Trooper corpses?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sky Shadowing posted:

In other questions, apparently once you 'unlock' a weapon that tier is infinite now? That's an unexpected, but not entirely unwelcome, change. Or is this just a change that only applies to Veteran and below difficulties?
This is how it works across difficulties and it also applies to armor. You manufacture special things like EXO suits and ammo upgrades individually, but upgrades to basic weapons and armor are done once and then everybody gets them.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
So, it's a small change (or at least I don't remember it from EU/EW), but apparently civs can move freely during turns.

How I learned this, you might ask?

I dashed to a door to open it the next round, and suddenly a guy just panics, runs to the door, opens it and darts inside, to the surprise of both my soldier and the two suddenly revealed Advent officers.

:thatseffinxcomallright:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

PirateBob posted:

Thanks for the info Klyith. I'll try SweetFX first. This looks like a decent preset: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/5142/

Mods: Is it possible to use the SMG mod with existing save games?

Finally got it to work with a manual install and it's amazing.

Someone at Firaxis really like his smoke and haze. It's not as bad as the blue and red haze was for Xcom, but the difference once you get the SweetFX settings working is incredible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does advent troop corpses make something special?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You need them for Plated Armor, and they vanish from the enemy roster FAST.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So does the tutorial give you any advantage over playing without it or something?

Tell me about your early combat gear, I can't really tell if i should use shotties on my ranger or a rifle and if SMG's are decent or not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Shotguns are really good in XCOM2, keep them on your Rangers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Koorisch posted:

So does the tutorial give you any advantage over playing without it or something?

Tell me about your early combat gear, I can't really tell if i should use shotties on my ranger or a rifle and if SMG's are decent or not.

It gives you a bit of a headstart (a week and a couple of missions, I guess) on the aliens (as far as I can tell, the game clock and alien progression doesn't start until after you're out of the tutorial), but makes you build one of your buildings in kind of a bad spot.

Also holy gently caress, the armour upgrades are amazing. Definitely worth getting before gauss.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, literally as soon as I unlocked plated armor they stopped showing up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fffuck, how much have I screwed myself here?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fangz posted:

Fffuck, how much have I screwed myself here?

It's not impossible, even once you jump the Sectoid/Viper hurdle and start fighting "mere" Mutons, just play cautiously.

Sheep posted:

Yeah, literally as soon as I unlocked plated armor they stopped showing up.

I don't think there's actually more than six Advent Trooper corpses in the entire game, save maybe if you actually take the time to get one of your guys to carry one out via extraction.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
It's badly recorded, but it should be enough to give you an idea why you should use SweetFX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0BRDPQqyE

http://imgur.com/a/Fx5NA

Sorry, it looks like poo poo when comparing screenies or making a vid, because of quality loss. But on the screen it's like night and day.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 6, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Advanced Troopers still count as Advent Troopers, so you're not completely hosed if you don't have enough by the time stun lancers arrive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

Advanced Troopers still count as Advent Troopers, so you're not completely hosed if you don't have enough by the time stun lancers arrive.

By the time Advanced Troopers turn up, you're hitting Powered Armor though. They also only turn up as Reinforcements, which you'll almost never see in any situation where you have the chance to grab their corpses and bring'em home.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 6, 2016

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Three patrols hiding inside one train car.
I've just been solomon'd

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When I make predator armor it takes 300 supplies, does that let all my guys use it because thats crazy high for a single suit of armor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love that Sharpshooters start with Squad Sight. It's one tiny little raft of kindness in a sea of endless dickpunches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tenzarin posted:

When I make predator armor it takes 300 supplies, does that let all my guys use it because thats crazy high for a single suit of armor.

Armor and weapons made in engineering apply to all applicable soldiers. Anything in the Proving Grounds is a single piece/suit.

Harrow posted:

I love that Sharpshooters start with Squad Sight. It's one tiny little raft of kindness in a sea of endless dickpunches.

The other is that Panic generally makes your guy run for cover and shoot aliens instead of merely doing something stupid.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Very first time I got panicked the soldier ran around and shotgun-flanked the guy who panicked them. It was pretty sweet.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
This game is making my PC run really loving hot and I don't understand it at all. Has anyone figured out any settings to make it put less stress on systems? It seems optimized like poo poo as my PC plays much more demanding games just fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Fancy Bloke posted:

This game is making my PC run really loving hot and I don't understand it at all. Has anyone figured out any settings to make it put less stress on systems? It seems optimized like poo poo as my PC plays much more demanding games just fine.

It's just optimized like crap and very crashy on some missions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By the time Advanced Troopers turn up, you're hitting Powered Armor though. They also only turn up as Reinforcements, which you'll almost never see in any situation where you have the chance to grab their corpses and bring'em home.

Hah. I'm fighting Advanced Troopers in Kevlar.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Fangz posted:

ddo you at least have mag weapons because that sounds like a horror show i wouldnt want to be a part of!!!!!!! ......commander

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fangz posted:

You can at least give one or two of your guys a sweet Mech suit :colbert:.

Which, incidentally, really should've been the actual third-tier armor suit. The Warden suits just look waaaay too advanced for guerilla-built gear. Even the Gauss weapons look like something hand-made.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone else having the environment break really easily? I'll have my sniper fire her pistol and it'll break half of a store front off on the other side of the map.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's a good first facility to build in your base? I can't decide between a Laboratory, a Power Relay, and a Guerrilla Tactics School to start off.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fangz posted:

Hahaha, I was so starved for alien alloys that I've been fighting Muton Centurions in kevlar. And the doom tracker hit full recently due to other limitations. Thankfully I just managed to push it back down three points, but still, I constantly feel on the verge of disaster here.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Harrow posted:

What's a good first facility to build in your base? I can't decide between a Laboratory, a Power Relay, and a Guerrilla Tactics School to start off.

I'd go with the Guerrilla Tactics School. It gives, among other excellent bonuses, +squad size which is so critical to get ASAP.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What's the first armor you can get that doesn't take a grenade slot

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jim DiGriz posted:

So, it's a small change (or at least I don't remember it from EU/EW), but apparently civs can move freely during turns.

How I learned this, you might ask?

I dashed to a door to open it the next round, and suddenly a guy just panics, runs to the door, opens it and darts inside, to the surprise of both my soldier and the two suddenly revealed Advent officers.

:thatseffinxcomallright:

Civilians don't follow rules of engament.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Any geoscape management tips? I pretty much lost my campaign because I spent too much time loving around with non-essential poo poo on the map, I think.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How am I supposed to get Alien Alloys? I've seen it as a random reward from a terminal hack once in about a dozen missions and it's never come up anywhere else.

I want better gear dammit!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soundtrack bad.

Are there any pics floating around of the cosmetic options in that preorder dlc? Was it just the silly facepaint?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay guys I am sorry to keep harping on about this, but I am getting nothing back from 2k's forums, their support service, steam or anywhere else, does anyone know somewhere I can keep an eye out for possible solutions to "X com 2 will not open and goes to black screen" I don't even mean immediately I'd just like to find a place I could check and see if it has the update.

I really am sorry about this, but I am just a little frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Shortest Path posted:

How am I supposed to get Alien Alloys? I've seen it as a random reward from a terminal hack once in about a dozen missions and it's never come up anywhere else.

I want better gear dammit!

You can buy them from the black market and get them as drops and as as investigation sites or from excavating out your avenger. I've never seemed low on them but I was also stuck doing probably a ton of extra missions because everyone kept loving dying or getting gravely wounded so it was impossible to progress.

Seriously gently caress those octopus eggs