Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Just checked this out after a recommendation from Jon Bois. Dave is such a fantastic storyteller, and he has a great comedic rapport with Gary. I've been going through anything related to baseball and Philadelphia so far, think I'll start branching out a bit more.

Wait where did Jon bois mention the dollop

Btw his series pretty good is basically the dollop but mostly about sports check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Toxxupation posted:

Wait where did Jon bois mention the dollop

Btw his series pretty good is basically the dollop but mostly about sports check it out

Agreed

Anyway he put this out monday: http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/1/10881210/i-am-going-to-watch-the-super-bowl

The top comment on the article recommends The Rube, Bois said that episode owns, I listened and nearly died laughing so here we are.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

oatgan posted:

That guest was awful though

Yeah, it's a real shame they didn't have Patton Oswald like they were originally supposed to. Was there ever an actual explanation given as to why he had to back out?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame they didn't have Patton Oswald like they were originally supposed to. Was there ever an actual explanation given as to why he had to back out?
I'd guess some really bad tacos probably, something like that. Maybe he ate too much deli meat the night before.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Rory Scovel is really loving funny and he was good (albeit maybe overly silly) in the live ep imho

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I really enjoyed the most recent episode, which was about the infamous 1904 Olympic Games. I remember reading about them when I was a kid and getting blown away by how insane they were, and somehow they were even worse than I remembed them being.

I was sad because I remembered it as either the sleepy Cuban or the guy who ran with dogs as actually winning the marathon.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Rory Scovel is really loving funny and he was good (albeit maybe overly silly) in the live ep imho

Agreed. He was channeling a little Todd Glass, which I guess is not everyone's thing?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah rory scovel owned

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I thought he was one of the best guests they've had on. Maybe not as good as Oswald, and the ooooohhhh creepy music gag overstayed it's welcome a bit, but those aside I thought he had good comedic chemistry with Gareth and Dave. I'd like to see him on again.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I thought he was one of the best guests they've had on. Maybe not as good as Oswald, and the ooooohhhh creepy music gag overstayed it's welcome a bit, but those aside I thought he had good comedic chemistry with Gareth and Dave. I'd like to see him on again.

I can believe he's usually a funny guy, but he was quite bad on the show. Most of the guest episodes I've heard were worse, though... the show's format doesnt seem to suit guests.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I thought he actually added something to the show which I can't say for 90% of guests so I think he did alright.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

I liked the creepy music gag callbacks. It was the Bond villain laughter that I hated every time after the first.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Rory Scovel is great and I hope to see him again.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Not Operator posted:

I liked the creepy music gag callbacks. It was the Bond villain laughter that I hated every time after the first.

The callbacks were pretty great, it was when he first started doing it and crammed it in like a dozen times over 3-4 minutes that annoyed me, mainly. As for his laughter I didn't really notice anything odd/annoying about it. Certainly not like that one guy from the Daily Show that they had on, his laugh was like taking a cheese grater to your ear.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EHEH EHEH EHEHHHHH every 2 seconds. I hate that man.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

The callbacks were pretty great, it was when he first started doing it and crammed it in like a dozen times over 3-4 minutes that annoyed me, mainly. As for his laughter I didn't really notice anything odd/annoying about it. Certainly not like that one guy from the Daily Show that they had on, his laugh was like taking a cheese grater to your ear.

To be clear, I don't mean Rory's own laugh, I mean the "That's how I breathe" bit he kept doing. I liked him as a guest overall, but that thing was awful.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That's what I meant by him channeling Todd Glass. He was trying to get that laugh to wrap around back to being funny again real hard. It just about squeaked over that line for me but boy am I not surprised it didn't make it there for others.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The latest episode was crazy for the first 20 minutes and then INSANE for the final 10. What the hell. Great short episode.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Berzerker posted:

The latest episode was crazy for the first 20 minutes and then INSANE for the final 10. What the hell. Great short episode.

As soon as I heard Rearden metal in the first third, my ears perked up and knew I was in for a ride.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

There's some Twitter blow-up over homophobic slurs. I don't know, haven't listened to it yet. But Dave Anthony really needs to grow some skin or plain ignore social media.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mike12345 posted:

There's some Twitter blow-up over homophobic slurs. I don't know, haven't listened to it yet. But Dave Anthony really needs to grow some skin or plain ignore social media.

Going into it would kind of give away a huge swerve the story takes, but listening to the episode I kept thinking "Geez, they're gonna get some heat for this part."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mike12345 posted:

haven't seen anything on twitter

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I honestly can't remember anything particularly homophobic from the Dollop, which is kind of remarkable considering it's two comedians throwing poo poo at the wall. There are definitely some stand-ups that have issues with this sort of thing, but I can't recall any here.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's pretty typical pronoun fumbling. I winced a little when I was listening and they coulda done a better job but it's the sort of thing that I don't think reads as deliberately hurtful but is more sort of annoying in a 'people should know better' way. This podcast is basically all off the cuff comedy making fun of people in whatever story is being read so it coulda been a lot worse. :shrug:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Hell, I was gonna go congratulate them on handling it so well.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

An Angry Bug posted:

Hell, I was gonna go congratulate them on handling it so well.

Same. I was really impressed that Dave engaged the guy in a civil discussion about it. They didn't come away agreeing in the end, but it was pretty mature and non-defensive all round from what I saw.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Which episode was this?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

NmareBfly posted:

It's pretty typical pronoun fumbling. I winced a little when I was listening and they coulda done a better job but it's the sort of thing that I don't think reads as deliberately hurtful but is more sort of annoying in a 'people should know better' way. This podcast is basically all off the cuff comedy making fun of people in whatever story is being read so it coulda been a lot worse. :shrug:

I don't think they did it intentionally. They were referring to two separate periods in a person's life, one in which they identified as male and one in which they identified as female. They (with maybe a couple exceptions which were obviously accidental because they were consistent otherwise) said "she" when talking about when she was identifying as female even after the reveal. I was actually impressed that they didn't just start saying "he" after that.

Anybody who has a problem with what they said in the episode is just looking for reasons to be offended.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
White Americans=enraged apes in this, drat

It really is unsettling how casually acceptable and mainstream lynching culture was in America. I keep picturing those photos of smiling white Americans of all age/gender in front of lynched African Americans.
In this case, obviously these guys were murderous kidnappers, not just people just seen as having been born with the wrong skin color, but still...that was hosed up. The bloodthirst. The whoops. The smalltown community festival of it. Mutilation by isolated weirdos with verbal approval from the crowd. The seventeen year old. Reminds me of "The Lottery".
I know this is silly, but it really makes me wonder: "How many steps to the right could it take for America to awaken that spirit within itself again?" A ton? Less than I'd think. I don't like to think about it.

Respect to the cops in the station for fighting to the last man though, I guess.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I'm probably late on this, but I noticed a reward on the top patreon tier is a copy of the upcoming book (!).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
RIP, Governor Lynch. RIP O.G. Macaulay Culkin

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It really is unsettling how casually acceptable and mainstream lynching culture was in America. I keep picturing those photos of smiling white Americans of all age/gender in front of lynched African Americans.
In this case, obviously these guys were murderous kidnappers, not just people just seen as having been born with the wrong skin color, but still...that was hosed up. The bloodthirst. The whoops. The smalltown community festival of it. Mutilation by isolated weirdos with verbal approval from the crowd. The seventeen year old. Reminds me of "The Lottery".
I know this is silly, but it really makes me wonder: "How many steps to the right could it take for America to awaken that spirit within itself again?" A ton? Less than I'd think. I don't like to think about it.

Respect to the cops in the station for fighting to the last man though, I guess.

It's really something, you hear so much you hear about racism and mob mentality in America's past, but the way any story set before the 50's has a coinflip chance of involving bodies swinging from ropes does a lot to drive home how hosed up things were not very long ago.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Lynch mob stories always make me think of the excellent movie Fury. I'm glad they mentioned it in this episode.
Still not avaliable on dvd in the UK for some reason.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The only episodes I've had a hard time finishing on this show are the two about lynch mobs. Dave owes us one where heroic cops fight off the mob or talk them down

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lynch mobs pretty much perfectly show why we need a justice system. The way it always seems to turn into a fun fair (see the civil rights era pictures of southern whites having a picnic under a tree with hanging blacks ) is straight out of a horror movie

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheFallenEvincar posted:

RIP, Governor Lynch. RIP O.G. Macaulay Culkin

I was waiting for Dave to reveal that Jackie Coogan would go on to be Uncle Fester, but it never came. Gary's response to that fact would have been gold.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

The Berzerker posted:

The Dale was my pitch... Yes, you may all touch the hem of my garment, but one at a time please, no need to get all unseemly. :agesilaus:

...but what the gently caress is a Chevy "Vegas"? lol

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

LOL if you think there's anything particularly American about genocide culture except for the specific cultures involved. It's just that the Dollop does such a great job of documenting American instances, like the Frank Rizzo episode. Dave mentioned it could have been three hours of material easy, and I kind of wish it had been, but I respect that they keep it to the time limit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'd love to see them cover Stetson Kennedy & Superman vs. the KKK, but I wonder if that story might be too well known (ie Gary actually knows it). I know This American Life carried the story, for one thing.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd love to see them cover Stetson Kennedy & Superman vs. the KKK, but I wonder if that story might be too well known (ie Gary actually knows it). I know This American Life carried the story, for one thing.

Well, there's a few episodes about stuff I thought everyone knew, but then Gary didn't and I realized they probably weren't widely known outside of particular circles. Even then, there's stories like Ten Cent Beer Night that he's sort of aware of but he doesn't know the details. I think there's good odds they could do something with it.

I actually only know about that one from Drunk History, but considering how shocked Gary was by the story about the Kelloggs I don't think he watches that show.