Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
God this show was so loving great. Maybe the bookers were a little disappointed, but I thought it ended at a good place that has me wondering what is happening in Season 2. Is Eros now a giant space-vine colony? Are they turning it into a massive warpdrive somehow?

Cast was perfect. Watching Miller's vision of Julie Mao at the Roci's airlock turn into a smug Amos was definitely a high point. Thomas Jane owns. Everybody owns. I also really, really like Avasarala and can't wait to watch her be a stone-cold political player in the hunt for the truth next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
There's a great new character coming next season, from the books, but the casting is gonna be Really tough for that role.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Der Luftwaffle posted:

During all the chaos on Eros I kept wishing there were an Deus Ex-type game set in the universe of this show.

Wait a while, I wouldn't be at all surprised if one gets made eventually. Hopefully Star Citizen doesn't license it and make it part of their giant shitstorm.

Tortolia posted:

The goon guild would totally be Belters to make a bunch of freaky looking space terrorists.

:golfclap:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 5, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jarl posted:

When I watched the first couple of episodes I was a bit unsure whether to stick with it. Boy am I glad I did; the last couple of episodes were baller!
Pilot was good, 2nd episode okay, 3rd episode meh, but 4th gets things going again.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
How's the show been progressing so far? I watched the first two episodes and, while the show seems to have potential, they were very slow for the most part and not particularly captivating.
I liked that it didn't treat me like an idiot, but that's not really enough. It felt like they were trying a bit too hard to make it feel raw and real and forgot to make it fun or interesting? I didn't really feel like I wanted to know more about any of the stories or characters. I was driven to continue mostly by my burning desire for a good Sci Fi show... is this it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kane posted:

How's the show been progressing so far? I watched the first two episodes and, while the show seems to have potential, they were very slow for the most part and not particularly captivating.
I liked that it didn't treat me like an idiot, but that's not really enough. It felt like they were trying a bit too hard to make it feel raw and real and forgot to make it fun or interesting? I didn't really feel like I wanted to know more about any of the stories or characters. I was driven to continue mostly by my burning desire for a good Sci Fi show... is this it?

Keep going. You won't be disappointed. The first 3 are establishing the show's universe and characters. From 4 on it just keeps escalating to the finale.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Watch through episode 4, most people agree it ramps up really well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kane posted:

Keep watching, the first few episodes are the classic exposition and origin story trap.

The whole story starts to accelerate starting with episode 4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kane posted:

To be fair, the first several episodes of Game of Thrones were pretty slow compared to the rest of the show's run too. There's just so much setting and politics and character development that has to be set up before they can really get going, but if you like the beginning even a little you'll love it once you're knee-deep.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Structurally it's very similar to Game of Thrones in that there's a lot of implied world building up front, and the central premise is a mystery that threatens to destroy the stability of the universe, fueled by disparate characters in wildly different locations who all have their own issues and goals and political systems to deal with. It's a lot to take in at first, but it rewards paying attention and is great at creating subtle detail. I've seen most episodes twice now and I keep noticing little things I didn't on my first viewing, it's very well-done.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 5, 2016

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I don't even think its slow. The Wire is slow but all the better for it because its the kind of show that thrives in the details. Even so, it took a long time to feel the payoff (for me it was 4 entire seasons and like 5 rewatches, binged back to back on dvd so you could see the whole thing in front of you).

Slowness and moments of stillness are just as necessary as moving the plot forward briskly because in narrative pacing, the combination of the two is tension. I don't get the sentiment that faster is somehow more likely to hold your attention. The narrative pace doesn't stay up after Episode 4. It ramps up suddenly into a major (and highly satisfying) action sequence but it slows down again but thats completely normal. When you want to thrill with fast paced action you have to invest the time to build it up and pay it off. In between the big action sequences there are long sequences that have incredible tension.

Many episodes work better when viewed a second or third time as you pick up little details you missed the first go around. I missed buddy fucker hotel, canary in the hud and a tonne of other little things that make you appreciate the craft so much more when you notice and acknowledge them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I never had a problem with the show's pacing either, because there is just no filler anywhere in it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, the first several episodes of Game of Thrones were pretty slow compared to the rest of the show's run too. There's just so much setting and politics and character development that has to be set up before they can really get going, but if you like the beginning even a little you'll love it once you're knee-deep.

Titties. GoT benefitted from being able to show tits.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

gohmak posted:

Titties. GoT benefitted from being able to show tits.

Not really

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there going to be a second season? I really enjoyed this show.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there going to be a second season? I really enjoyed this show.

Yes 13 episodes starting January 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes, they already picked it up thankfully. I don't think the ratings were too good though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Yes, they already picked it up thankfully. I don't think the ratings were too good though.

Which is a dang shame, but I am cautiously optimistic that getting a year to percolate for S2 will help it generate buzz and pick up viewers (especially if S1 makes its way to Netflix/Amazon Prime in a timely manner).

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 6, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: titties

Chard posted:

Not really

Yeah I think titties had practically zero impact on GOT's success as a TV show.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I honestly laughed out loud and had to explain buddy fucker hotel to a roommate on my first watch, which probably says more about me than I'd like.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I think I missed something. "Buddy fucker hotel?"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Flesh Forge posted:

re: titties

Yeah I think titties had practically zero impact on GOT's success as a TV show.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Titties had a huge impact on GOT success as a tv show. The first episode had two accounts of incest and a midget reverse gangbang.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

Unless Universe Sandbox 2 is radically different from 1, the Expanse Solar System is just the Solar System with some tiny crap on it. Won't make much difference gravity/orbit wise.

I mean having the full asteroid belt and kuiper belt without my computer melting. Terraforming Mars and poo poo can be done alright.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im really glad the show at least has introduced a somewhat fantastical element because as much as I love hard scifi I cant imagine the politics carrying this show alone.
What fantastical element?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Still watching the finale but I gotta say I felt the show did a decent job with the Miller->Julie weird infatuation thing despite not having the luxury of delving into his internal monologues, it's always been one of the most emotionally powerful bits in the books, the way he gets so completely attached to this woman he's never met and I felt the show makes you feel bad for both of them. It's good.
Not having read the books, I don't give a poo poo about Julie and I like Miller but I don't really care about him.

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, Belterspeak is just awesome.
Agreed. I love the creole and the accent, they're both great.

DarkCrawler posted:

They kinda let me down on it mostly but I felt the last scene nailed the (book, not tv spoilers) HOLYFUCK ALIENS part of the books.
Not TV spoilers? If there were aliens in the TV show I completely missed them. :confused:

NowonSA posted:

More than anything related to the protomolecule stuff or where they decided to leave off, I was bugged that we never saw Miller or Holden tell anyone they have vicious radiation poisoning. Obviously they explain what's up offscreen, but I think a quick thing of Amos helping them toward their seats and Holden saying they have radiation poisoning on the way, followed by Amos kind of hustling a bit more or changing his demeanor, would've been nice.
Seemed like that flowed perfectly well to me. Holden already mentioned earlier that there wre anti-radiation drugs on the ship.

karrethuun posted:

my favorite quote of the episode in that regard was Amos remarking that their med device or whatever kept trying to switch to hospice mode. Even when Amos is hustling his demeanor doesn't really change though.
Amos is the best character by far.

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody said that Amos was a sociopath, but he's not. He's a survivor. Definitely my favorite character, right away he's like 'we gotta loving get out of here', no time wasted. But he also vouches for the little girl to come with the group without hesitation, and when he realizes the guy isn't her father, he commands him to take care of her anyways. He's got a heart. Everybody kinda freaked out because he shot that guy, but it was probably the right call. You don't just pull a gun on the captain, if he didn't end up shooting then he'd end up pulling his gun out as soon as something else happened he didn't agree with.

If anything Miller is a sociopath, drat. Shooting dudes for armor, starting a warfight. I did love him using other dudes as human shields though, he really doesn't give a drat.
I really hate people using the words "psychopath" and "sociopath" like they mean anything. Amos feels sympathy but not empathy, he can put himself in your position to understand why you feel the way you do but he doesn't feel it himself. Does that make him a sociopath? Yes? No? Maybe? Sure, because it's not strictly defined anywhere, it just means whatever you think it means.

etalian posted:

Avasarala had pretty amazing costumes the whole season.
She didn't really do anything or have any impact on the story, but I liked her.

etalian posted:

I like how Dawes was sort of prick
Sort of? He's a total arsehole. He's doing what he thinks is right, but he doesn't care about who gets hurt along the way.

Zaphod42 posted:

And then they'd call it Netflix Original even though they only produced season 2 :cheeky:
Well, doesn't that just mean they made it themself instead of buying it from someone else after it had already been on TV?

Kesper North posted:

There's a great new character coming next season, from the books, but the casting is gonna be Really tough for that role.
Is it the one that's been mentioned tons of times already in this thread?

Kane posted:

It's all right. It's not a show that really grabs you, but there's nothing wrong with it either.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tiggum posted:

Not TV spoilers? If there were aliens in the TV show I completely missed them. :confused:

Well yeah but I thought it was pretty clear what the origin of that poo poo is when even the bad guys aren't familiar with it and it does crazy poo poo like nothing seen before in the series. I suppose it's something that people would miss and I just think like that because of book hindsight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Well yeah but I thought it was pretty clear what the origin of that poo poo is when even the bad guys aren't familiar with it and it does crazy poo poo like nothing seen before in the series. I suppose it's something that people would miss and I just think like that because of book hindsight.

What bad guys?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I really hate people using the words "psychopath" and "sociopath" like they mean anything. Amos feels sympathy but not empathy, he can put himself in your position to understand why you feel the way you do but he doesn't feel it himself. Does that make him a sociopath? Yes? No? Maybe? Sure, because it's not strictly defined anywhere, it just means whatever you think it means.

Adding to this, it's one of the best things about the show and (some of) the books, and one of the most tedious things about modern media. Real psychopaths aren't magic supervillains who always win and care only about creating misery for puny hu-mans. TV shows like 'Mind of a twisted killer' or whatever aren't a good reference for understanding ~that manipulative backstabber in HR who said I hit her~. There's a reason psychologists are moving away from even using the term, because it has long stopped referring to a thing that actually happens in reality.

I'd also add that humans have never needed their empathy shut off to commit ever atrocity under the sun.

Amos is cool :buddy:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tiggum posted:

What bad guys?

The people behind the stealth ships and Eros experiment?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

What bad guys?

The group of people who are repeatedly described as gangsters, and then mass murder a whole space station full of people with a previously unknown bioweapon while taking instructions from a shadowy political plutocrat figure came off as pretty bad guys to me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DarkCrawler posted:

Uhh, yeaaah... I actually thought the whole point of the finale was its not aliens. So is that wrong?

Because the blue-face guys were revealed to be Julie Mao's father's men, an Earth corporation, and they were trying to perfect some kind of bio-weapon or something. I definitely would not assume the blue goo has alien origins just because they haven't perfected it. It sounds like its some kind of engineered bio-weapon or nano-weapon and they have to let it feed off humans in order to evolve to a certain point they need it to be at. That doesn't explicitly require aliens. I thought it was just some new breakthrough.

I had previously figured it was going to be aliens but was kinda relieved it wasn't, and now you're telling me it is?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how the belter equivalent of "how's it hangin" is "how ya swingin".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, it's book hindsight, so stop it. Book stuff seriously, there's NOTHING in the show right to indicate that it's anything *other* some shady corporation testing a bio-weapon. The other revelations that make it clear what's going on are coming but haven't been in the show yet.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
gently caress I didn't mean to spoil anything for anyone - by "book not TV spoilers" I meant...book spoilers that go ahead of TV. I now see how that is retarded wording and went and edited my original post.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FWIW it's not really a huge deal, it's a plot point that's revealed I believe when they're on the anubis in the books, and for all we know they might not even be doing the same thing on the show.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It's a series heavily grounded in realistic/feasible science and technology. The protomolecule is the only supernatural/weird thing shown so far - do all the parasitic and crystalline growths, glowy blue fireflies, mobile death claw hands, and icky goop really appear to be human-created? If so then the show creators have failed miserably in basically the most important plot point of the series. It's analogous to thinking the Others in ASoIaF are just really cold humans.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I really liked how they kept visually pressing your germaphobe buttons all through the finale. "Don't touch anything" *Miller touches literally everything, rubs it all over his face, sticks it in his mouth*

Naomi's climbing down a ladder and there's a trickle of liquid on it...

Goop and pus is dripping from infected people overhead, through grates, like germy rain... :froggonk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

gohmak posted:

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Titties had a huge impact on GOT success as a tv show. The first episode had two accounts of incest and a midget reverse gangbang.

I see your point

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The scene with Amos casually walking to the side when told to go for the control panel made me actually laugh as the guy got shot. He did it so casually, and knowing Amos, I'm leaning more that it's not because he's expertly hiding his intentions, it's just that he'd make the walk exactly the same if someone told him to take the garbage out or pick a carton of milk because his wife (if he had one) forgot one while they were doing groceries together.

Because that's what Amos is. Steel cold motherfucker, whether he's killing a person or taking the garbage out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

The people behind the stealth ships and Eros experiment?
But you said "even the bad guys aren't familiar with it", and the people behind it obviously are familiar with it?

pile of brown posted:

The group of people who are repeatedly described as gangsters, and then mass murder a whole space station full of people with a previously unknown bioweapon while taking instructions from a shadowy political plutocrat figure came off as pretty bad guys to me
They weren't the bad guys though, they were just some pawns who got duped.

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhh, yeaaah... I actually thought the whole point of the finale was its not aliens.
I'd thought the same thing.

acumen posted:

Do all the parasitic and crystalline growths, glowy blue fireflies, mobile death claw hands, and icky goop really appear to be human-created?
Yes?

• Locked thread