Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

TeeMerk posted:

Birdgang, our glorious tour of the Innersphere continues tonight. This week we will be role playing Space Vikings in the FRR.

nice! i would love to poo poo on some kurita trash! wanna drop on their planet every night at 830pm est?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

abuse culture. posted:

nice! i would love to poo poo on some kurita trash! wanna drop on their planet every night at 830pm est?

Kurita Red Dragon is Green Sword Hand ally.

Also Crockdaddy is my bro.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

TeeMerk posted:

Kurita Red Dragon is Green Sword Hand ally.

Also Crockdaddy is my bro.

Crockdaddy and NS are in Ghost Bear

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

DancingShade posted:

That's going to run nuclear hot and anyone who sees you knows you'll be running an XL engine to fit those 3 LPLs.

Can't poke because you need to bring your entire mech out of cover because of hardpoint placement and too hot/fragile to brawl.

Fit a STD 280, 5x MPLs and jump jets. The crab is not a pokey mech and you should be brawling to make the best use of it. It rolls damage like a loving champ if you run STD.

I wouldn't run a crab without an XL, honestly. I also wouldn't go looking for a brawl in any crab either, regardless of it's weird hitboxes

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Blackdog420 posted:

I wouldn't run a crab without an XL, honestly. I also wouldn't go looking for a brawl in any crab either, regardless of it's weird hitboxes

One of the Crabs can run six medium lasers and a big standard engine. It doesn't sound like much, but it's like being a slower JR7-F that can be reduced to a CT and still use one third of its weapons. Plus it runs pretty cool and can fit utility like a BAP if you want to help the team with that.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

abuse culture. posted:

Crockdaddy and NS are in Ghost Bear

And we are FRR? I get it.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Eating Dads in Jags in a slug-fight is one of the most amusing things ever, but the CT really is the weakness. It makes twisting almost counterproductive as it won't bleed damage off the CT easily. Way too easy to correct back onto coring an Ebon-Jag.

the (I) variant has unique hull geometry with CT Exhaust ports sticking much farther out against the central hull. I haven't tested it fully but given how well I've done with that hull I'm going to guess it's actually got much more divided hitboxes due to those extensions.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

To hero bear or not to hero bear, thats the question...

...wait and see? You can get the basic pack with the pre-order bonuses and then literally upgrade to that hero whenever you want, even after it's released.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Devorum posted:

Why are PPCs so bad, I want them to be good.

Triple responding here but at least they are all to different posts.

PPCs are bad because they have minimum damage range, generate a lot of heat per shot, and splash(?) losing some of their damage to surrounding areas (I'm not entirely sure they lose their top damage on point but whatever.). For what is essentially the same slots or weight you can have LPLs doing as much or more damage for half the heat and I think a higher refire rate. Maybe a little less range.

ERPPCS don't have a minimum range but you're basically trading gobs of heat for that and like ok if you want a special snowflake pop tart (jump up and shoot rarely) but they are really unsustainable for more than a second or two.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blackdog420 posted:

:staredog:

I'm not going to tell you how to play stompy robots but those amazing hitboxes are precisely why you DO brawl.

Just keep playing however you feel like. It'll come to you eventually.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

DancingShade posted:

:staredog:

I'm not going to tell you how to play stompy robots but those amazing hitboxes are precisely why you DO brawl.

Just keep playing however you feel like. It'll come to you eventually.

You can run a 295xl on a crab and load it out like a sparky, 2xlpl and 4xml and brawl really well with it. Those hit boxes are so good you can twirl around and not really have a huge issue having XL.

My zombie MPL crab was amazing but I really didn't notice a huge disparity running the XL sparky crab. I think a lot of people just have no idea wtf is up with it.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Banano posted:

when is your company going to ban the huge number of people that you acknowledge are cheating in your game

While it may just be a few, they group up and know when to turn it off and on. It's like a special club. If you want to know just come play with a few of us in tier 1-2 and run into them.

e: @ #19

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo are crabs amazing.
I think i just crabbed my pants.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The saddest Dad ive ever seen.
The Milhouse-Dad.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The saddest Dad ive ever seen.
The Milhouse-Dad.

A shameful Dad...

Anyone got some STD engine builds for the CRB-27SL?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

CRB-27SL?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Why are you using ferro but not endo. Endo is straight up superior to ferro. You can put on both ferro and endo, strip some heatsinks and put in a 295 easily. In general energy builds having 50% heat efficiency is a fairly obvious sign that the mech is really poorly laid out. Nothing needs to be that cool. Strip some heatsinks and put in a bigger engine. Speed will save you more than the ability to alpha a couple more times before needing to cool.

Honestly, 5 MPLs on a 50 tonner is pretty terrible for damage, a firestarter can run that build while running at 150kph, and the limited hardpoints are really forcing you to shove LPLs in it so you probably have to go into an XL on the crab for that reason alone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringbean posted:

A shameful Dad...

Battle proven since the first release. Enjoy your nearly 100kph zombie wub crab brawler.

Pilot it like an oversized firestarter.

Don't forget your MPL range & cooldown modules.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 6, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sputty posted:

Why are you using ferro but not endo. Endo is straight up superior to ferro. You can put on both ferro and endo, strip some heatsinks and put in a 295 easily. In general energy builds having 50% heat efficiency is a fairly obvious sign that the mech is really poorly laid out. Nothing needs to be that cool. Strip some heatsinks and put in a bigger engine. Speed will save you more than the ability to alpha a couple more times before needing to cool.

Honestly, 5 MPLs on a 50 tonner is pretty terrible for damage, a firestarter can run that build while running at 150kph, and the limited hardpoints are really forcing you to shove LPLs in it so you probably have to go into an XL on the crab for that reason alone.

Cause thats what it comes with.
And its got pulse quirks, hence the pulses.
And he asked for a non-XL build, so im not gonna put LPL and an XL in there.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you never played MWO prior to the Steam release, feast your eyes on this beauty of UI design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywKefWlrz-Q

They hyped the poo poo out of this new UI 2.0 but it was worse than the prior UI in every way and single-handedly made me leave the game. Just look at that loving mechlab. Interactive ragdoll replaced with dropdown menus. Instead of lists, all the components are shown as icons in a big stupid grid of repeating images. Oh boy look at all these engines!

The most :pgi: thing about this all is that Smurfys online mechlab had been the community go to forever, but they decided to reinvent the wheel and make it square shaped.

I will admit, in two years, they've come along way. I thought for sure between the terrible UI, balancing, cash grabs, etc that this project would fail. It's far from perfect, but they certainly have seemed to right the ship. Mostly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DOMDOM posted:

If you never played MWO prior to the Steam release, feast your eyes on this beauty of UI design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywKefWlrz-Q

They hyped the poo poo out of this new UI 2.0 but it was worse than the prior UI in every way and single-handedly made me leave the game. Just look at that loving mechlab. Interactive ragdoll replaced with dropdown menus. Instead of lists, all the components are shown as icons in a big stupid grid of repeating images. Oh boy look at all these engines!

The most :pgi: thing about this all is that Smurfys online mechlab had been the community go to forever, but they decided to reinvent the wheel and make it square shaped.

I will admit, in two years, they've come along way. I thought for sure between the terrible UI, balancing, cash grabs, etc that this project would fail. It's far from perfect, but they certainly have seemed to right the ship. Mostly.

Don't forget that when they first put the smurfy style lab in you could only use it to look at the fit, you couldn't change anything. And gently caress me sideways but that engine selection screen was the goddamned worst.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
How long did it take them to put the filters in so you didn't have trial mechs showing up in your list of owned mechs?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DOMDOM posted:

How long did it take them to put the filters in so you didn't have trial mechs showing up in your list of owned mechs?

UI 3.0, or about 2 years. 3 years?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Triple responding here but at least they are all to different posts.

PPCs are bad because they have minimum damage range, generate a lot of heat per shot, and splash(?) losing some of their damage to surrounding areas (I'm not entirely sure they lose their top damage on point but whatever.). For what is essentially the same slots or weight you can have LPLs doing as much or more damage for half the heat and I think a higher refire rate. Maybe a little less range.

ERPPCS don't have a minimum range but you're basically trading gobs of heat for that and like ok if you want a special snowflake pop tart (jump up and shoot rarely) but they are really unsustainable for more than a second or two.

I know WHY they are bad, by the numbers. I was asking why they are designed badly, because I want the lightning gun to be cool and good.

Like if you see a delicious cake, and take a huge bite and it turns out that what you thought was buttercream icing was actually sulfur flavored sour cream.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Devorum posted:

I know WHY they are bad, by the numbers. I was asking why they are designed badly, because I want the lightning gun to be cool and good.

Like if you see a delicious cake, and take a huge bite and it turns out that what you thought was buttercream icing was actually sulfur flavored sour cream.

They're designed like that because when they were better they were the best gun in the game and dominated everything. They got nerfed, everything else got buffed, now they're a bit poo poo. So they're terrible almost by accident.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I too wish PPC weren't so underclassed. They're so freakin cool. PSHHHWOOOOO and then that explosion of sparks. Ugh.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PPCs keep bouncing between crap and overpowered it seems.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Gentlemen, we have come a long way from having to actually click on the part of the mech you wanted to customize.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I painted my entire Urbanmech PC Gamer Black, crammed a 180XL and two large lasers in it, and I'm having the most fun I've ever had in MWO. Oh my god.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Stringbean posted:

A shameful Dad...

The best one thats been pointed to me, and more importantly not another boring 5 mpl one: 2 LPL 3 SPL, endo AND ferro, max jump jets, max armor, ams + halfton of ammo. I forget the engine rating to make it fit, but its something like a standard 275 or 300. I want to say 275 but I can't check right now.

Edit: it miight be an xl, actually, due to stupid-small hitboxes. Still fun, though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Haiku time!

Two reds in our base.
Seven blues stand around it.
No one moves - we lose.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Sputty posted:

Except a crab is super tough and can stick it out in the fight for way longer, and it gets way better heat dissipation.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Okay this whole "violent dad, abusive dad, dad that disappears from your radar" stuff is hitting a little close to home

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Tujague posted:

Okay this whole "violent dad, abusive dad, dad that disappears from your radar" stuff is hitting a little close to home

Maybe you should get a Dad Fighters tag.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
hey GIRL who do we wanna be for our next contract

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tujague posted:

Sorry about your poo poo life.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DOMDOM posted:

The only way to find an engine you owned was to squint at that grid and find the tiny white number in the corner. There was also no way of seeing what engine or module a robot had other than loading it up and looking at the fitout screen.

It was hell on a stick.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just got the Bridesmaid achievement with my crab.
For 831 damage.
With 4 medium lasers.

I have no clue how we won that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Ten days left. Where the gently caress are the Rifleman previews?

This fan effort is neat but come on, I need that last push over the edge to get the Legend-Killer.

• Locked thread