Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

Any excuse to upgrade ;)

Fan noise on the rMBP isn't as bad as the Air, subjectively.

You can google the objective measurements though.

FWIW I have a 2013 Air 11" and a 2013 rMBP 13"

I ran 'yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null &' on both and let them sit for five minutes. Pegs all 4 cores.

After about a minute the Air's fans hit what sounded like full speed, and the keyboard became warm to the touch. The rMBP never made any noise for 5 whole minutes and the keyboard became 'not cold' in one very small area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm really excited about the new rMBPs. I'm leaning towards a spec'd out 15" since it will be replacing my macbook and my imac. I think the main thing I'm waiting to see is if they go with nvidia or amd for their discreet gpu this year. I've been burned by ati/amd cards a few times that I want to avoid them if possible. Why did they switch from nvidia to amd in 2015 for the 15"?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've seen the fans on my rMBP top out around ~5.8k RPM each, I wonder how fast that little thing on the Air goes. Up for another test, Morales? I don't have an Air anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

I've seen the fans on my rMBP top out around ~5.8k RPM each, I wonder how fast that little thing on the Air goes. Up for another test, Morales? I don't have an Air anymore.

6,500 RPM, 75 degrees celsius

YouTube HD on an external 27" ACD, importing 25GB of ROMs into OpenEMU, and that yes > /dev/null thing 4x

The keyboard is pretty warm. Not hot to the touch, and the wrist wrests aren't noticeably warm.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

6500 RPM with that tiny little thing, jeez. No wonder it whines. They should put a gearbox on it and have it sputter between shifts like you're blowing off a turbocharger.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It's worth noting that the fans in the rMBP are different from the ones in the Air. The blades are supposed to be much quieter and were custom-designed by Apple for near-silent performance or something like that.

I can attest that when I stress out my 15" rMBP, I'm much likelier to notice it in the subsequent performance hit or via the temperature of the chassis than because of fan noise.

Definitely a big change from the polycarb MacBook and MBA that preceded it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's worth noting that the fans in the rMBP are different from the ones in the Air. The blades are supposed to be much quieter and were custom-designed by Apple for near-silent performance or something like that.

I don't know if I buy in to the Apple distortion field thing. They're simply higher diameter with bigger blades than spin slower, cooling something with a larger heatsink to begin with. The Air has one tiny fan with tiny blades that spins fast.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I can attest that when I stress out my 15" rMBP, I'm much likelier to notice it in the subsequent performance hit or via the temperature of the chassis than because of fan noise.

:anecdote zone: I'm guessing you haven't gamed much on it, as my 2014 15" rMBP roars like a jet engine when I fire up D3, Starcraft II, Civ Beyond Earth, or even Day of Defeat:Source. It definitely gets warm also, but not even putting an active cooling pad underneath it allows the fans to run slower.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

:anecdote zone: I'm guessing you haven't gamed much on it, as my 2014 15" rMBP roars like a jet engine when I fire up D3, Starcraft II, Civ Beyond Earth, or even Day of Defeat:Source.

Maybe. I still feel like it runs a bit quieter at max blast than my Air did and a lot quieter than the OG MacBook and also takes longer under strain before the fans spin up to audible levels.

With the BlackBook it was like 'connect second display'...3...2...1...'whrrrrrrrrrr'.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

I'm really excited about the new rMBPs. I'm leaning towards a spec'd out 15" since it will be replacing my macbook and my imac. I think the main thing I'm waiting to see is if they go with nvidia or amd for their discreet gpu this year. I've been burned by ati/amd cards a few times that I want to avoid them if possible. Why did they switch from nvidia to amd in 2015 for the 15"?
It'll be so discreet it won't even have one :rimshot:

Actually some rumor apparently pegged 15s for mid year I think? Main (or only?) technical reason I could think of would be to wait for Polaris (or Pascal if they went that route). As for the switch, I'd guess a mix of pricing and trying to wean people off of CUDA to reduce reliance on Nvidia stuff.

Pivo posted:

I don't know if I buy in to the Apple distortion field thing. They're simply higher diameter with bigger blades than spin slower, cooling something with a larger heatsink to begin with. The Air has one tiny fan with tiny blades that spins fast.
They did asymmetrical fins or something, but I forget if that was meant to change the volume as much as just change the noise to be less noticeable/annoying.

...and I thought they put it on the MBA too v:shobon:v

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

japtor posted:

It'll be so discreet it won't even have one :rimshot:

Actually some rumor apparently pegged 15s for mid year I think? Main (or only?) technical reason I could think of would be to wait for Polaris (or Pascal if they went that route). As for the switch, I'd guess a mix of pricing and trying to wean people off of CUDA to reduce reliance on Nvidia stuff.

They did asymmetrical fins or something, but I forget if that was meant to change the volume as much as just change the noise to be less noticeable/annoying.

...and I thought they put it on the MBA too v:shobon:v

They did. I'm not even sure the asymmetric blade fans went into the rMBP first but regardless they're in everything now.

They do help, and yes it's about making the noise less noticeable. It's basically the same idea as spread-spectrum clocking: you've still got the same total noise energy, but instead of the frequency vs amplitude plot looking like one tall (loud) spike at a single frequency, you get a bunch of smaller quieter peaks at several frequencies close to the same center point. (IIRC the explanation for how this works is that a lot of the noise a fan makes is due to the rotating blades pushing air past fixed surfaces like the spokes that fix the fan hub to the frame. With blades evenly spaced there is just one frequency at which blades have close encounters with a spoke or whatever, with asymmetric spacing you can spread the spectrum out a bit.)

Also Apple sometimes seems to switch GPU vendors just to throw the one that's been mostly out of their product lines a bone. I'm sure Apple would love to have two x86 CPU suppliers they could ping-pong between too, but AMD has never been competitive enough (during the x86 Mac era, anyways) to do that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BobHoward posted:

They do help, and yes it's about making the noise less noticeable. It's basically the same idea as spread-spectrum clocking: you've still got the same total noise energy, but instead of the frequency vs amplitude plot looking like one tall (loud) spike at a single frequency, you get a bunch of smaller quieter peaks at several frequencies close to the same center point. (IIRC the explanation for how this works is that a lot of the noise a fan makes is due to the rotating blades pushing air past fixed surfaces like the spokes that fix the fan hub to the frame. With blades evenly spaced there is just one frequency at which blades have close encounters with a spoke or whatever, with asymmetric spacing you can spread the spectrum out a bit.)
It's not quite so much about making the noise less noticeable, but rather as you also put it, changing the frequency of the sound the movement of air produces as it passes through the fixed opening areas of the fan, in order to hopefully be a more "pleasing" sound to the user, but not necessarily quieter. A traditional symmetrical cooling fan with fixed fan blades will have an equal effective opening area between each blade such that as the air speed through the openings increases, the pressure wave propagation due to the differential pressure on each side begins to increase, resulting in an equivalent change in the pressure wave between each effective opening. So it isn't so much that it's air flowing past a fixed surface that causes the sound, but rather just the effective opening area per everyone's favorite Velocity = Flow/Area, and using a form of Bernoulli's equation.

As you indicated, Apple's asymmetric fan design attempts to change how the noise is generated, by utilizing a varying degree of effective opening areas along the entire circumference of the fan assembly. At a given rotational speed, they can deliver more airflow at a lower velocity through the larger opening areas with a resulting lower pressure wave propagation, such that as the fan ramps up in speed, it's a less objective sound we hear, but not necessarily a quieter one.

I work on pump stations and reservoirs a lot, and the above principle comes into play regularly on two areas I have to deal with. One are reservoir vents, where during air exchanges, we have to make sure we're providing enough air flow into the reservoir to prevent a vacuum condition from collapsing the roof or top of the reservoir down. The vents also have to have bird or insect screen on them, so I have to balance the airflow requirement into the reservoir, with the effective opening area of the vent(s) due to the reduction in area the insect screen causes, and then balance that against the fact that above certain velocities through the vent, the air pressure will propagate a sound wave that could be at a pitch and tone loud enough to disturb the surrounding neighborhoods. So in this case, I can't take Apple's approach (since we're limited on how small insect screen can be in size, and making it variably smaller would only worsen the issue), so we take the largest acceptable screen size, determine the highest velocity we can get through the screen without hitting the frequency target, and then increase the vent accordingly to meet that target velocity.

The Apple-similar approach is working on vertical turbine pump bells, where we can see micro-vortices due to the speed of water through the pump bell's basket openings. The baskets are usually installed with pitched blades to break up cavitation, but micro-vortices can develop outside of the pump bell as a result and potentially break apart the floor of the pump station wet well. So I can add a second basket design onto the pump bell with variable openings and pitched blades that allow variable velocities not only due to the effective openings but also over the pitched blades themselves. The blades then also serve to break up the vortices, although this element works of the design is really mostly applicable to water since it's a semi(mostly)-incompressible fluid.

The angle of the pitched blades on computer fans with the little notches/etc. that you see companies like Noctua use are an attempt to simulate that rapid change in velocity and the re-distribution of air stream paths over the blades to minimize the droning hum of air. I will say that, as I mentioned above, my rMBP roars like a jet, but it isn't necessarily the most objective fan noise I've ever heard, just noticeably loud. Which is what Apple went for and I"d say mostly succeeded with.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 2, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

Actually some rumor apparently pegged 15s for mid year I think?

Motley Fool says DigiTimes says not until 3rd quarter 2016.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So for anyone who cares, my first SSD was indeed faulty. Just installed the new one that arrived today and holy poo poo, my 2012 MBP is running like a dream.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm gonna replace the DVD drive on the MBP with a 2nd SATA drive slot and put in my old HDD.

How do I go about using this as a 2nd drive on the MBP? I now have an SSD installed as my main drive with OSX installed but the old HDD also has an OS on it. I'm reluctant to wipe the drive for timesaving but do I have to do that?

Or can I have two drives with the OS on them and use the 2nd as more storage. Not really sure how that works, thanks!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Or can I have two drives with the OS on them and use the 2nd as more storage. Not really sure how that works, thanks!
You could hold ALT during startup and choose which drive's OS to boot from, but why maintain two disk footprints? Wiping it would take all of a few moments unless you're zeroing it out fully.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

kuskus posted:

You could hold ALT during startup and choose which drive's OS to boot from, but why maintain two disk footprints? Wiping it would take all of a few moments unless you're zeroing it out fully.

Having a second OS can be useful if something goes wrong on the first. You can also do stuff like try out beta versions of OS X.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't want to wipe it as its quite a large capacity drive that has basically my entire music collection on it. The SSD I just put in is a lot smaller so instead of throwing it on an external it'd be handier just to keep it as is.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fr3lm0 posted:

Having a second OS can be useful if something goes wrong on the first. You can also do stuff like try out beta versions of OS X.

You're gonna keep a big OS-sized partition on expensive storage around for that?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't want to wipe it as its quite a large capacity drive that has basically my entire music collection on it. The SSD I just put in is a lot smaller so instead of throwing it on an external it'd be handier just to keep it as is.

Oh, okay, not expensive storage. Well, don't keep it as dual-boot, back up your music library... copy it to your main drive if you have to in the mean time, or plug in an external and literally copy over the library. Then wipe the hell out of the second drive. Keep it as a data storage drive, fine, put your photo and music libraries there (make sure it's backed up), but there's no reason to keep the OS around.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Pivo posted:

You're gonna keep a big OS-sized partition on expensive storage around for that?

It's useful, takes up less than 10GB on a 500GB drive, and it doesn't need to be a separate partition. What's the down side?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fr3lm0 posted:

It's useful, takes up less than 10GB on a 500GB drive, and it doesn't need to be a separate partition. What's the down side?

It's not useful.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

It's not useful.

I'll be very impressed if you don't have 10 GB of useless crap on any of your drives.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Really? You think a modern OS X install is less than 10GB? We're not talking about a minimal, bare-bones fresh install...

Alright, dude. You do you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Really? You think a modern OS X install is less than 10GB? We're not talking about a minimal, bare-bones fresh install...

Alright, dude. You do you.

14GB isn't that far off of 10GB. It's still a minuscule amount of 500GB.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm still having issues with my Logitech mouse on El Cap. It just randomly dies on me and only a reboot sorts it out -- but whenever Logitech Control Center shits itself, El Cap hangs permanently in a black screen when I try to reboot.

I looked at what clues Console might give and I only spotted this:

code:
15:37:19 loginwindow: ERROR | -[SessionLogoutManager quitAllPrivateProcesses] | Private Process failed to quit: Logitech Control Center Daemon
15:40:24 com.apple.xpc.launchd: (com.Logitech.Control.Center.Daemon) This service is defined to be constantly running and is inherently inefficient.
15:40:24 com.apple.xpc.launchd: (com.Logitech.Control.Center.Daemon) Please switch away from OnDemand to KeepAlive.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

AMD/ATI is garbage. Apple needs to stop getting GPUs from them. They're recalling the 2013 Mac Pros now. I really hope the 2016 15" rMBP dGPU isn't AMD.

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 6, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Housh posted:

AMD/ATI is garbage. Apple needs to stop getting GPUs from them. They're recalling the 2013 Mac Pros now. I really hope the 2016 15" rMBP dGPU isn't AMD.

My old late 2013 15" rMBP did the same thing and it had a NVidia GPU. It was eventually replaced for free due to Apple Care. I think Apple products just run a bit too hot due to the form factor.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I want to get a 12-inch MacBook to replace my first gen 15" retina. I pretty much only use my computer for work now, and that consists of safari and PowerPoint almost exclusively. I don't need the processing power of the quad core i7 anymore, I need the lightness and size for traveling.

I've been looking at the geek bench scores for the Core M in the current MacBook, and the new Skylake Core M and the new one doesn't really seem all that much better.

Should I still wait for an update? I don't absolutely need it right now, but if I can get a current gen 1.4/512/8 for 12% off refurbished and not miss much with the Skylake architecture I'd do it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I want to get a 12-inch MacBook to replace my first gen 15" retina. I pretty much only use my computer for work now, and that consists of safari and PowerPoint almost exclusively. I don't need the processing power of the quad core i7 anymore, I need the lightness and size for traveling.

I've been looking at the geek bench scores for the Core M in the current MacBook, and the new Skylake Core M and the new one doesn't really seem all that much better.

Should I still wait for an update? I don't absolutely need it right now, but if I can get a current gen 1.4/512/8 for 12% off refurbished and not miss much with the Skylake architecture I'd do it.

afaik the graphics performance should see a decent increase with skylake, which is where the 12" macbook tends to fall down. if you can wait you might as well.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ahhh ok I didn't consider that. Thanks

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Housh posted:

Where's the recall? I don't see it on their site.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Where's the recall? I don't see it on their site.

Looks like it's not public, on a case-by-case basis

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/06/late-2013-mac-pro-video-issues-repair-program/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Also we've argued in this thread before about "recalls" vs "warranty extension programs". There's some sort of legal difference.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Pivo posted:

Also we've argued in this thread before about "recalls" vs "warranty extension programs". There's some sort of legal difference.

It's a quality program and not recall as recalls are safety related.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Generic Monk posted:

afaik the graphics performance should see a decent increase with skylake, which is where the 12" macbook tends to fall down. if you can wait you might as well.

Additionally, the USB-C port should get Thunderbolt 3 support in the next Macbook.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's a quality program and not recall as recalls are safety related.

Would depend on your jurisdiction I imagine. Consumer protection laws vary wildly across the western world. I think that's why people had an issue with the MBP GPU program being referred to as a 'recall'.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Additionally, the USB-C port should get Thunderbolt 3 support in the next Macbook.

I don't really see external GPUs become a thing, especially for OS X.

I realize you're more saying "the next Macbook will also have [new feature]", but it just reminded me about that ever present discussion.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

computer parts posted:

I realize you're more saying "the next Macbook will also have [new feature]", but it just reminded me about that ever present discussion.

Ditto, but having said that I'd like to either buy a new MacBook this year that can drive a high-red display or buy a new 5k iMac - either of which I'd boot camp into for gaming with an egpu.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

Probably not for OS X, but they probably will be supported in Windows 10 and later, since eGPUs will be ideal for firms that want to provide 3D modelers/drafters/designers/etc., since you could pare a decent i7 PC notebook with an eGPU and replace numerous mobile workstations, etc. and allow the eGPU to just sit on a deck and be connected as needed.

So I'm pretty hopeful that, with Boot Camp, we'll be able to take even a Retina Macbook, run Boot Camp, and have a decent little gaming machine with an eGPU in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Mac Pro Video Issues program? Well, it's something to the effect of this:

some big ol corp posted:

Apple has determined that graphics cards in certain Mac Pro (Late 2013) may cause distorted video, no video, system instability, freezing, restarts, shut downs, or may prevent system start up. Mac Pro computers with affected graphics cards were manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015.

In addition, the machine has to meet any combo or singular conditions: not powering up, distorted/flickering video, kernel panic/system crashes, or no video out.

No indication as to whether it's specific to the D300, D500, or D700. If a machine tests as bad, you gotta swap out BOTH cards. It's a pretty tedious procedure, too, the MP has to be put in a special stand, you gotta use special templates to apply thermal paste, use some weird calibrated torque tools...