Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kazy posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525554173/lumir-c-candle-powered-led-lamp

A candle powered lamp.

I love how the candle is brighter in all the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't sound so bad as long as it lets the light from the candle out and only uses its heat.
Of course their video lies a ton about how much light their thing produces. It's probably a dim blueish glow irl

e:

quote:

*Tip : Using your favorite scented candle with Lumir C will make you feel relaxed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I love how these KS always pitch this overengineered, overpriced plastic garbage solutions in search of a problem as ~helping the developing world~

We've come to know the seriousness of blackouts travelling throughout India. Though many households in developing countries still brighten the darkness with candle light, it is too dark to lead an everyday life with only one candle.

Therefore we agonized over the problem.

'What if they can light up a room with just one candle?'

I'd be genuinely interested to see what the professed target audience thinks.

Yes, your dim-rear end lamp that starts at $60 is a much better solution to people living on ₹35 (50 American cents) a day than lighting another candle, or, you know, doing poo poo when it's daylight out.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Korthal posted:

Actually I will post these two gifs.

Also they got the name for the HTC Vive wrong.

This would only be brilliant if they have a monthly subscription fee services associated with it and if you ever miss a payment the machine grips your dick like a vice refusing to let go until your outstanding balance reads 0.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
There is no reason the candle for light thing wouldn't actually light brighter than the candle. A bit of Googling reveals that a candle emits 20-40 watt of energy, primarily as heat. Using an LED that translates to a hell of a lot of energy. From their video it unsurprisingly seems they only harvest small percentages of the energy.

Unfortunately, this is all hipster bullshit, though. It is an environmental nightmare (the conversion is inefficient and candles emit a ton of particles) making a LED lightbulb powered by a coal plant seem super-efficient.

All in all, the perfect Kickstarter and my only regret is it is not flexible funding.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Otisburg posted:

I'd be genuinely interested to see what the professed target audience thinks.

They probably think "I'll just use Olafur Eliasson's Little Sun instead"

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

klafbang posted:

There is no reason the candle for light thing wouldn't actually light brighter than the candle. A bit of Googling reveals that a candle emits 20-40 watt of energy, primarily as heat. Using an LED that translates to a hell of a lot of energy. From their video it unsurprisingly seems they only harvest small percentages of the energy.

Unfortunately, this is all hipster bullshit, though. It is an environmental nightmare (the conversion is inefficient and candles emit a ton of particles) making a LED lightbulb powered by a coal plant seem super-efficient.

All in all, the perfect Kickstarter and my only regret is it is not flexible funding.

It's not even a novel product:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=68887&cat=2,40731&ap=1

http://buytpod.com/tpod-catalog/enviro-light/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There should be Kickstarter bingo.

Dishonestly claiming to help 3rd world countries
product already exists in less pretentious form
solution to a non existent problem
canned epic "indie" sounding music in the video
kickstarting an idea they will never be able to deliver on
founders have beards and hitler youth haircuts

What are some other ones that could be on there?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Demonstration product only exists as a photoshop
If the product worked as advertised it'd violate the laws of physics

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"I don't have anything remotely resembling the rights to this multi-million dollar intellectual property, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I need money to hire a team of professionals who will make my incredible idea a reality.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I only need a few thousand dollars to solve technical problems large companies are throwing millions of dollars at.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
"Oh hi, I didn't see you there!"

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
"...with an iPhone"
"Drone"
"Artisanal"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I dont bother with or know how to proofreed, or use spllecheck.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A social experiment, where people give me money for free.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only risk is there is no risk at all!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Idea -> mass production in less than 6 months
Risks & Challenges: none

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Promise to make mass produced bespoke, handmade products.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Fund my Let's Play and/or YouTube career!

Publishing a video game made in RPG maker.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I (a complete nobody) will acknowledge you in some trivial and meaningless way.
I (a complete nobody or charitably maybe a Z-list celebrity in a narrow niche) will spend an awkward day/weekend/dinner with you. Even though this is the absurd 5-10k+ vanity tier no travel or lodging expenses are included.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't acknowledge any donations for less than $50.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I need $10,000 and only have a $1 tier that is limited to 1 backer.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've made and sold this product dozens of times over and have funding from a large company but I just need a little bit more funding to make this happen!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
That Alibaba company with identical designs obviously ripped off my Kickstarter video whiteboard sketches/3D model.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

klafbang posted:

There is no reason the candle for light thing wouldn't actually light brighter than the candle. A bit of Googling reveals that a candle emits 20-40 watt of energy, primarily as heat. Using an LED that translates to a hell of a lot of energy.

Except that you're thermodynamically not going to be able to passively turn heat into light.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

Except that you're thermodynamically not going to be able to passively turn heat into light.

You can. A lamp with a candle is not an isolated system; you have include the room it is in. When you heat up some element inside the lamp, energy gets concentrated by exciting the atoms in the element. When an electron of an element atom enters a lower energy state and emits a photon, energy in the entire system (room and lamp) becomes more uniform as the lamp gets colder and the room warmer.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

klafbang posted:

You can. A lamp with a candle is not an isolated system; you have include the room it is in. When you heat up some element inside the lamp, energy gets concentrated by exciting the atoms in the element. When an electron of an element atom enters a lower energy state and emits a photon, energy in the entire system (room and lamp) becomes more uniform as the lamp gets colder and the room warmer.

nice

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

There should be Kickstarter bingo.

What are some other ones that could be on there?

Harveygod posted:

Publishing a video game made in RPG maker.

And its a roguelike zombie-RPG MMO with a bigger scale than Skyrim/Fallout4/Witcher 3.

I'm an "ideas guy" I just need programmers to bring my dream to life!

Also, a budget that's 1/1000th what was needed to make the aforementioned examples cause AAA budgets are just greedy fatcats that don't understand gaming am i rite guyz/galz?

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Feb 7, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phanatic posted:

What do you mean by "passively"? The thermoelectric effect is a thing; it's not a 100% efficient thing, but it's a thing

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
By gamers, for gamers.

e: I've played videogames all day for decades! With all those hours of research, how could my pie in the sky game idea not turn out perfectly??

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

I couldn't find any decent bingo card templates, so I made this terrible thing in Word.

Quoting myself from almost three years ago.
Things haven't changed much.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This person or these people are misrepresenting a cause. This project will fund a documentary to counteract their lies!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

vent hood done plum give out

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

RandomPauI posted:

This person or these people are misrepresenting a cause. This project will fund a documentary to counteract their lies!

Remember the guy who wanted to disprove that DNA is a double-helix?

:allears:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

:catstare:

Proclick AF.

Dude has a one-hour pitch video. I scrubbed through and found a gem at ~55 minutes in. "I'm not a 'professional biochemist...'" complete with air quotes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have any of the games "ideas" guys actually been funded? Barring obvious stuff like Star Citizen. I mean people that literally have no idea how to make a game and think Kickstarter $$$ is enough to magically make it happen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ideas guys usually never get funding

Ideas guys who hire marketing guys though? loving swimming in dollars signs like Scrooge Mcduck

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NESguerilla posted:

Have any of the games "ideas" guys actually been funded? Barring obvious stuff like Star Citizen. I mean people that literally have no idea how to make a game and think Kickstarter $$$ is enough to magically make it happen.

There's been a bunch of things where the guy is using an easy toolkit like RPG Maker or something like that and the thing gets funded and even comes out. They tend to be bad of course, but it happens a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Successful but also very much in the spirit of this thread, Tickle King just got bought by HBO after a successful premiere at Sundance.