Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

jtm33 posted:

I just got a "all hostiles down" win, but it said I only killed 9/10 aliens. What causes that?

Possibly a turret left in some corner of the map, or a sectoid animated a zombie and you took down/disabled the sectoid, thus shutting down the zombie as well without killing it. No big deal either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

poptart_fairy posted:

You can get them back in later missions, yeah.
I was kind of hoping they'd get transformed into hybrid monsters and used to attack you later on.

Imagine your mum (everyone names a soldier after their mum right?) being captured and then 5 hours later slaughtering half your squad.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Steve2911 posted:

I was kind of hoping they'd get transformed into hybrid monsters and used to attack you later on.

Imagine your mum (everyone names a soldier after their mum right?) being captured and then 5 hours later slaughtering half your squad.

Get sent to rescue a vip
Vip is your mom
Is Faceless

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Fairly sure I've had that dream before...

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

I have virtually never seen this plot device used in a way that doesn't make me roll my eyes. The last decade of zombie craze has only made it more tiresome.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Underwhelmed posted:

I have virtually never seen this plot device used in a way that doesn't make me roll my eyes. The last decade of zombie craze has only made it more tiresome.

Is not plot is gameplay.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

The first armor this time has an extra item pocket, so it can make a difference with killing dudes too.

Are you guys talking about the Nanoscale Vest?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What stuff is mostly safe to sell at the black market? I don't want to make another mistake like I did with ADVENT trooper corpses.

You don't need to kill turrets.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Will the little green icon geoscape missions that stop dark events also tick down project avatar?
I'm sort of scraping by the skin of my teeth on the ol deathclock.

Also as I understand it if you raid a blacksite once the clock is actually ticking it resets the time? Does it just go back to 2 weeks left or does it go back to one tick away from the countdown?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

iGestalt posted:

Has anyone tried the Leader Pack mod yet? I think the concept of a 'Leader' solider is a nice idea, but concerned it'll break the game because ~Day 1 modding~. Thoughts?

I got it in, but I haven't used it yet. You might as well add the SMG, Leader and Muton Centurion in and not use the first two, but it'll be there if you feel like using them.

They have a cost of admission(SMG upgrade tiers are their own costs, being able to make leader costs supply and upgrades, etc), so I feel it looks balanced.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PirateBob posted:

Are you guys talking about the Nanoscale Vest?

The predator armor you unlock after the nanoscale vest. The vests are the replacement for the underarmor item from EU.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sheesh, Chrysalid poison is ruthless. One of my Grenadiers got hit once for like 4 damage (Yes, it dodged the 4 overwatch shots I had set up for it, thank you for asking), and proceeded to take 3 damage every turn for the next 7 turn until she died. with the occasional panic.
You're basically screwed unless you have a dedicated medic with the stabilize ability on your team.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

nopantsjack posted:

Will the little green icon geoscape missions that stop dark events also tick down project avatar?
I'm sort of scraping by the skin of my teeth on the ol deathclock.

Also as I understand it if you raid a blacksite once the clock is actually ticking it resets the time? Does it just go back to 2 weeks left or does it go back to one tick away from the countdown?

Hitting the black site will knock two bars off of the Avatar project, which can fill up again as normal. If it hits twelve bars again then you start the two to three week countdown all over again and need to make sure you have something you can hit to take bars off the clock (such as an alien facility).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just found my own personal hell. A pod of 3 Archons right next to a pod of two Codex and one Archon. Last pack between me and evac with 0 grenades. I did have one flashbang, but couldn't get both Codex at once. Tried to fight for one turn then just hauled rear end to the extract and made it out with only losing two soldiers and everyone else wounded.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm sure this game is well balanced, so I'm doing something wrong.

Rangers are complete poo poo. Why on earth would I ever want to run up to an rear end in a top hat where I end up out of cover and ALSO can swing and miss with the sword? If I'm at that close of range, the shotgun will do more damage and be less likely to miss.

The only thing I've found them good for is concealment/shadowstep and having them act as spotters for my snipers.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Completely and utterly failed. Maybe I'm "rushing" too much but drat those times make me antsy. Ended up losing in June after pretty much giving up and letting the timer run out. Never had opportunities to replace the men/equipment I lost or counter the ever increasing dark events. Ended up with only 3 guys left alive at the end, never had anyone make it above SGT. Time to try again..

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Sheesh, Chrysalid poison is ruthless. One of my Grenadiers got hit once for like 4 damage (Yes, it dodged the 4 overwatch shots I had set up for it, thank you for asking), and proceeded to take 3 damage every turn for the next 7 turn until she died. with the occasional panic.
You're basically screwed unless you have a dedicated medic with the stabilize ability on your team.
Evac them if possible based on the mission type. You'll save the soldier, at least.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ironman pisses me off but loading saves is basically cheating

I'm kind of stuck with being pissed off I suppose, after sleeping on it :(

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere in this thread (I read the first page of posts and saw nothing), but I think I found a bug that may just force me to restart the game about 15 hours in rather than my expected "the aliens kill me" reason for restarting. The enemy AI no longer takes any actions, from mission to mission. Whether I sight them, fire at them, or walk point blank up to them, the "Alien Activity" turn just consists of a pause for several seconds as they all stand there idling before it's my turn again. So if I say, set everyone to Concealed Overwatch upon sighting enemies, then have my last person fire to start combat...nobody's Overwatch is triggered to fire along with them, because the aliens have to at least move first. They're not doing that "you saw them so they get a free scramble to cover" move anymore. Similarly, I'm encountering multiple new enemy types--just saw these advanced troopers and shield guys--and there's no triggered radio comm from Bradford/Tygan/Shen observing "hey, that's a new enemy unit."

Not sure what happened to cause this. I had just gone through the equivalent of a terror mission while the Dark Event for "faceless ones every mission" was active, where despite repeated auto-save reloads I barely saved the required six civilians, lost a Ranger, and ended up with literally every soldier in my barracks being wounded/gravely wounded such that Bradford gave me a "now we have NO soldiers! Recruit some!" warning. I also completed research to let me build EXO and Spider Suits, which I was able to make instantly (it took me entirely too long to figure out how they wanted me to actually BUILD the radio towers, so I think a few months passed without that). Then I finally got my training school in place, where I immediately took both squad size upgrades. It certainly feels good to get multiple "flawless" ratings in a row after getting trounced on account of "you didn't do the equivalent of building satellites" but this isn't exactly a fight anymore.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's hilarious seeing people watching Beagle saying, "this looks bonehead easy" and then all this thread going :supaburn:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Ironman pisses me off but loading saves is basically cheating

I'm kind of stuck with being pissed off I suppose, after sleeping on it :(

It is time to learn self control.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FairGame posted:

I'm sure this game is well balanced, so I'm doing something wrong.

Rangers are complete poo poo. Why on earth would I ever want to run up to an rear end in a top hat where I end up out of cover and ALSO can swing and miss with the sword? If I'm at that close of range, the shotgun will do more damage and be less likely to miss.

The only thing I've found them good for is concealment/shadowstep and having them act as spotters for my snipers.

The sword is good because you can use it with a dash, and is also (in my experience, anyway!) very unlikely to miss. Like yeah if you're already standing right next to a dude, shoot him, but if he's in high cover across the street then running up and cutting him is great. And it only leaves you out of cover if you... don't put your dude in cover. The control is a bit finicky but you can choose which tile you're sprinting to while your cursor is on the enemy you're about to slice.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Well that was awesome. In a firefight with a Sectopod and 5 Advent, and I notice that my hacker is close to a scanning post. Send over the Gremlin and hey, a 100% chance to control an enemy unit for 2 turns. Cool, I can use an Advent to draw the Sectopods fire. Except no, I take control of the Sectopod! Turns out they are pretty easy to destroy once 5 Advent shoot it up first :black101:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how good is a Gunslinger build anyways?

Or any of the other builds for that matter, we need a list of really loving good builds in the OP.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Basically every build is really good if you're able to get them that far.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

FairGame posted:

Rangers are complete poo poo. Why on earth would I ever want to run up to an rear end in a top hat where I end up out of cover and ALSO can swing and miss with the sword?
Maybe only use the sword if you can end up in cover.

The reason you'd want to use them is because the damage output is very similar to your primary weapon, but sometimes procs other things, and tends to have very good accuracy.

The retaliation strikes they can pull off are also very very good.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I have question regarding what counts as a "shot" in terms of Successful Shot Percentage at the end of a mission. I had a mission that had 100% shot success, but I know for a fact I missed a shot with both a Quick Hands and Return Fire. Do special abilities like thse count? I woulsd guess not, given they didn't register in my success counter.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/FHEPmtG.webm

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Maybe only use the sword if you can end up in cover.

The reason you'd want to use them is because the damage output is very similar to your primary weapon, but sometimes procs other things, and tends to have very good accuracy.

The retaliation strikes they can pull off are also very very good.

Also the fact that they can become Assaults from the first game if you don't care about the sword is also nice.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Lotish posted:

It's hilarious seeing people watching Beagle saying, "this looks bonehead easy" and then all this thread going :supaburn:

Basically this,

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

Is not plot is gameplay.

All it is, is an enemy that they put the name and or likeness of your dude on. Even if they kept some skills or equipment, the primary reason you do a thing like that is to inspire a specific kind of emotional reaction in the player.

I find it boring and too common in most forms of media, everyone is welcome to love it if they want.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know which ini that deals with alien abilities? Just caught my first grenade and want to edit that poo poo out like i did with the original.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know how long taking control of an enemy robot/turret lasts and what happens when it wears off?

This happens every time I kill a snakeman.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
gently caress. I knew I should have built AGLs ASAP. Just got caught by the hunt event and I've only got a few mag weapons available, but AGLs would have been great. As for people saying to rush plated armor, where are you getting the alloys? I've never even had enough to research the drat thing, though I am buying mag gear asap.

E: hah, I can still build prior to the base defense. That's funny.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 6, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know how long taking control of an enemy robot/turret lasts and what happens when it wears off?

Between 1-6 turns (it's random) and when it wears off it resumes trying to murder you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Underwhelmed posted:

All it is, is an enemy that they put the name and or likeness of your dude on. Even if they kept some skills or equipment, the primary reason you do a thing like that is to inspire a specific kind of emotional reaction in the player.

I find it boring and too common in most forms of media, everyone is welcome to love it if they want.

gently caress, I'm so sorry.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wizard Styles posted:

This is where I first started having second thoughts about delaying the Blacksite mission for ~2 months.

I unlocked the Mimic Beacon just before that mission, if I hadn't that probably would have gotten someone killed.

Eh, it's not so bad.

Then another pod showed up, but once all the survivors overcome their shaken status they'll have bonuses to will! Who doesn't love bonuses?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Koorisch posted:

So how good is a Gunslinger build anyways?

Or any of the other builds for that matter, we need a list of really loving good builds in the OP.

The Gunslinger trades the high-damage, long-range option of his rifle for the short-range, low damage of his pistol and then, and this is important, he fires a bajillion times a turn. Gunslingers are great against groups and against low armor enemies. High armor enemies will shrug them off if you don't shred their armor a bit first. Since they rarely use their rifles (I've had Gunslingers come out of a battle with 3-4 kills and never fire a single round from their main weapon) you really don't have to worry about weapon mods for them since the rifle upgrades won't affect the pistol. What will affect the pistol is ammo upgrades: you'll get any bonuses the ammo confers to your sidearm as well. Which means you'll generally want to go medium armor for a Gunslinger since they stay with the group and that means you can carry a cover-removal device (a.k.a. a grenade). Since you get so many shots bundled with the Sharpshooter's high aim they're also great for cancelling enemy overwatches as well.

So to anyone who's completed the campaign so far: are there second wave options to unlock? Please say yes, because I really miss randomized stats.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Tactical map lessons learned in difficulty 2/4 from a scrub Long War player.

-Snipers and concealed rangers are an amazing combo. Always get either the "rebuy stealth" skill or the "stay concealed when squad is revealed" skill. Ranger scouts and spots in cover away from the main avenue of approach of enemy pods. Set up the rest of the squad outside enemy pod activation range with overwatch. Sniper fires, activates pod, and enemy pod either durdles in confusion and your sniper plinks away or they rush headlong into the overwatch trap. Scouting ranger never fires a shot, proceeds to scout next pod while the squad mops up.

-Don't overwatch everyone on concealment ambush. Inevitably, someone will shoot the wrong guy or miss and you will need a dependable soldier to clean up the one that lived and is now in danger of causing grief for your squad.

-Don't always trust the fact the lack of a concealment breaking icon on tiles. They seem to lie sometimes, especially when it looks like alien pods might have a clear LOS during transit.

-If there is a stun trooper that you can't reliably shoot before the alien turn, consider overwatching at least 2 guys even to the point of forgoing a juicy shot on another alien. Stun troopers are the worst.

-Ranger slash only if you cannot do the same with a close range shotgun blast. Shotguns tend towards 100% while melee seems to have at least a 5% miss chance. You do not want to have a :xcom: moment

-DISABLE ACTION CAM. Unless you like watching the game durdle.

-Tactical gets easier as the game goes on so if you are struggling early, be patient until your soldiers unlock broken stuff (cone vision overwatch.....)

kater posted:

Can there be like... fake cover? I just did a terror mission and the heavy cover I was in when I moved just didn't exist on alien's turn. My guys were just standing in the wind. This happened four turns in a row. The first time I thought I just made a mistake, and then it happened again and I noticed the poo poo my guys had been behind wasn't even on the map. I didn't blow it up or anything dumb like that, it was just gone.

Totally rage quit the fourth time it happened.

I've seen that once with. I thought I was just dumb.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Can there be like... fake cover? I just did a terror mission and the heavy cover I was in when I moved just didn't exist on alien's turn. My guys were just standing in the wind. This happened four turns in a row. The first time I thought I just made a mistake, and then it happened again and I noticed the poo poo my guys had been behind wasn't even on the map. I didn't blow it up or anything dumb like that, it was just gone.

Totally rage quit the fourth time it happened.