Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Why is it stupid, or more stupid than pretend spaceships and pretend fistfights on a computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Macys posted:

When did "adult coloring books" become a thing?

The 1970s, when those paint by numbers sets but for "real art" started being made.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kings Of Calabria posted:

You need to try a moisturizer instead of Vaseline, that'll protect your face but it won't moisturize like a cream. Also it makes you look all greasy n poo poo. I just go to CVS and get whatever says "formulated for dry skin" and try for something that specifically says face because those don't seem to be as heavy. I work outside all day in New England winters and it's good enough for me. If yours is really bad just ask your dermatologist and they'll hook you up with something.

Give Working Hands a try. I don't know how effective it would be on your face (though they probably have a version specifically for it), but it's great for hands.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

Why is it stupid, or more stupid than pretend spaceships and pretend fistfights on a computer?

These things are all loving stupid. Adult coloring books are pretty novel in the reasons people give for recommending them, though, which makes them more annoying to me. I hear all sorts of pseudoscience and pop psych about meditation and "self care". We get it, you like coloring like a child. I sometimes like playing video games like a child as well but I'm not going to tell you to video game because it aligns your introverted id chakras and clears your mind with non aggressive creative energies for mandalas.

Like, look at the comments quoted in this article.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuyop posted:

These things are all loving stupid. Adult coloring books are pretty novel in the reasons people give for recommending them, though, which makes them more annoying to me. I hear all sorts of pseudoscience and pop psych about meditation and "self care". We get it, you like coloring like a child. I sometimes like playing video games like a child as well but I'm not going to tell you to video game because it aligns your introverted id chakras and clears your mind with non aggressive creative energies for mandalas.

Like, look at the comments quoted in this article.

For the record, video games, coloring, and doing poo poo you enjoy is really good for your mental health.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

For the record, video games, coloring, and doing poo poo you enjoy is really good for your mental health.

Yeah, doing things you like in general is generally better than doing things you hate. This is a good enough reason to do some dumb things sometimes, which is my point.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

When did "adult coloring books" become a thing?

I thought this was "Adult" coloring books.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm sure those are out there somewhere too.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

Yeah, doing things you like in general is generally better than doing things you hate. This is a good enough reason to do some dumb things sometimes, which is my point.

Not believing that the things you enjoy are dumb has a pretty good effect too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

Not believing that the things you enjoy are dumb has a pretty good effect too.

So does being mature and conscious of the nature of things you do, in my opinion. Drinking is pretty dumb and most of us can enjoy it anyway while understanding that it's dumb.

Wouldn't it be better to just accept your hobbies for their own sake instead of using a bunch of nonsense to justify it to yourself and ultimately protect yourself from judgement? You know, refuse to base your self worth on the opinions of others?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yes? Which is why it's great to just like the things you like without using qualifiers like "It's dumb, but" to preemptively save face. I'm not sure why you would call the things you like dumb if not precisely to protect yourself from judgment. It's not some axiomatic truth that we all acknowledge that videogames and drinking are dumb.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

tuyop posted:

You know, refuse to base your self worth on the opinions of others?

I think you and HMS Boromir probably both agree on this point. It's just that you use the phrasing "accept that some things you enjoy are dumb but don't let it affect your self worth" and HMS Boromir might prefer phrasing like "accept that some things you enjoy are frivolous, but I wouldn't call them dumb because that word carries a connotation of negative self worth in my idiolect".

Edit: I was typing this when the above post appeared.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I just don't think there's any point in downplaying how enjoyable a hobby is or how important it is to you because it isn't edifying, or social, or creative, or what have you. Just like what you like.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 7, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

I just don't think there's any point in downplaying how enjoyable a hobby is or how important it is to you because it isn't edifying, or social, or creative, or what have you. Just like what you like.

My point is that these adult colouring books get super annoying when people recommend or justify them with pseudoscience, which is pretty much universal in my experience. As if to say, "No I'm not just a grown rear end man who likes colouring, I'm an INTROVERT, you see!"

dirby posted:

I think you and HMS Boromir probably both agree on this point. It's just that you use the phrasing "accept that some things you enjoy are dumb but don't let it affect your self worth" and HMS Boromir might prefer phrasing like "accept that some things you enjoy are frivolous, but I wouldn't call them dumb because that word carries a connotation of negative self worth in my idiolect".

Edit: I was typing this when the above post appeared.

Yeah, good point.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

My point is that these adult colouring books get super annoying when people recommend or justify them with pseudoscience, which is pretty much universal in my experience. As if to say, "No I'm not just a grown rear end man who likes colouring, I'm an INTROVERT, you see!"

Yeah, admittedly this did start because of people overinflating the value of coloring books, so "it's just entertainment" does make sense as a way to defuse a situation in which someone thinks you take a hobby more seriously than you do, if that's a misunderstanding you think is important to clear up. And I guess I wouldn't want to be confused for someone who thinks coloring books align my chakras. "It's dumb, but I like it" just makes me think of the sort of feigned detachment people use in fear of being judged for what they enjoy, so in that sense it is a matter of phrasing as dirby predicted.

(Also sorry if you caught all the edits I made to these posts, I'm real bad about that)

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 7, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think there are some legit "dumb" things that I enjoy. I find pleasure from things that I would also never suggest anyone else waste their time with.

He posts, about to go upstairs with girlfriend to drink wine and binge watch "Grimm".

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I suppose it's also a way to stay humble when you have a habit of calling things your friends enjoy garbage for trash people, which I definitely do, but I think it's more fun to trade jabs than compromise on that particular issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I think there are some legit "dumb" things that I enjoy. I find pleasure from things that I would also never suggest anyone else waste their time with.

Aren't you in the fishing thread too? I don't post much there but hell yes I like fishing.

If I was trying to feed myself/make a living I sure as hell wouldn't go about it the way I do and I'm sure you get that.

Lots of hobbies are stupid to people who don't like them. Sounds like you get that but others here don't.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Saying the video games are good for your 'mental health' is the adult version of 'they're good for my hand-eye coordination, mooooommmm!'.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Saying the video games are good for your 'mental health' is the adult version of 'they're good for my hand-eye coordination, mooooommmm!'.

Also, demonstrably untrue. :v:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is Sandalwood supposed to smell like oranges? I googled it and it doesn't look like anyone else things so but this sandalwood comb I got smells exactly like an orange peel from a big rear end super juicy orange might smell I think.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Sandalwood is much more savory smelling than an orange, I don't think you're going to find a ton of people who agree with you. But the sort of cheeseball place that woulds sell a sandalwood comb probably has some kind of citrus oil tea candle nonsense or something, are you sure you're comparing the actual smell of the wood, or the exact item (that might be tainted).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I used to have a Canadian flag patch that had this sort of terry-cloth texture:

Does anyone know what this style of patch is called? I keep looking up patches/ felt patches and there is a lot of 1-cent-junk patches, I want a "thick" one

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Professor Shark posted:

I used to have a Canadian flag patch that had this sort of terry-cloth texture:

Does anyone know what this style of patch is called? I keep looking up patches/ felt patches and there is a lot of 1-cent-junk patches, I want a "thick" one

It looks like a varsity letter like you'd see on a letterman's jacket.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I googled and I believe it's called chenille

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am looking for a very fine mist sprayer to work with fixing pigments on miniatures. My wife has recommended a perfume atomizer. Is there any quality difference on these things? I want as fine a mist as I can get.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
There a thread somewhere where I can ask about what headphones to buy? Can't find one in Serious Hardware.

nevermind, it was in a subforum I never ventured into, Inspect Your Gadgets

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 7, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some way to stream the Super Bowl on either a PS4 or something I can Chromecast?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Is there some way to stream the Super Bowl on either a PS4 or something I can Chromecast?

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-watch-super-bowl-50-online-for-free-no-cable-re-1757403054

If you have a laptop, you can cast any tab from Chrome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time I have tried to cast directly from a tab the quality has been unwatchable. Has that changed?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Every time I have tried to cast directly from a tab the quality has been unwatchable. Has that changed?

Probably depends on your network. We moved our router and it's fine now though it's not like, bluray quality.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for a very fine mist sprayer to work with fixing pigments on miniatures. My wife has recommended a perfume atomizer. Is there any quality difference on these things? I want as fine a mist as I can get.

In the Trad Games forum there is a minis painting thread.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is there any kind of NCAA basketball simulator that would be like Baseball Mogul or OOTP Baseball? Obviously there wouldn't be anything licensed by the NCAA...

I can't seem to find anything, and I wouldn't think it would be that hard to throw something together where people could edit teams/players/conferences, the hardest part I would think is developing logic for how the NCAA tournament teams are picked and seeded. The groundwork should already be there for spitting out simulated basketball game results with players stats. Maybe I'll start a kickstarter and use the money to pay someone who actually knows how to program!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I accidentally left a pen inside my jeans in the wash and now one of my better short sleeve button up shirts has black ink splotches all over. I've used rubbing alcohol to try removing it, but it also spreads the ink. Color-safe bleach and stain remover are only doing so much. Any suggestions, or is this shirt completely ruined?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I've had some luck with off-brand OxyClean in the same situation. Ruined a whole load of laundry with a pen, then managed to save maybe 4/5 of it by making a paste, rubbing it on the problem areas, and then running everything through the wash according to the instructions on the tub.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

signalnoise posted:

Try asking here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3043233&perpage=40&pagenumber=86

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a certain brand or flavour of shampoo that would repel cats? My roommate's cat loves to groom my head, it's cute but also sort of gross.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Is there a certain brand or flavour of shampoo that would repel cats? My roommate's cat loves to groom my head, it's cute but also sort of gross.

Cats don't like citrus, iirc.

The oils stick to their paws and then they groom it into their fur and it really frustrates them.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
What should I call an alcove in the floor? I want a nicer word than 'hole'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

DavidAlltheTime posted:

What should I call an alcove in the floor? I want a nicer word than 'hole'.

Floor alcove? :confuoot: