Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Node posted:

I wish all advisers were beneficial. The tax collector, natural scientist (production efficiency,) and trader only take money away from you. All they are right now are advisers that mitigate their salary.

Natural Scientist can push you over the limit to get the buff for controlling a specific good, and also he massively increases the value of a large Asian/African trade empire.

Trader not only gives you more trade income but also reduces the trade income of your rivals (if you are fighting them over a trade node)

An Advisor's non-MP bonus usually gets better and better the larger the country is so naturally a small % bonus to tax or trade or production means very little to an OPM.

Really the only advisors I can think of that are as good (or better) for small countries as they are for large ones are +Morale, +Diplomatic Rep, Inflation Reduction, and the Better Relations guy for lowering your AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

What are you spending that money on? If you're trying to run way more colonies than you have colonists, just cut back on that.

All kinds of poo poo! Mostly a big enough army to stay on top of France and keep that source of liberty desire down., with some mercs to buffer my manpower, a couple of colonists and enough of a navy to ship my dudes from the mainland and back whenever someone tries to bushwhack London. That time is long past, anyway. I snowballed.* Now I'm sitting on 2k+ in the bank, well on my way to Integrating France and I'm wondering if I should stab Castile in the back for their Mexican gold mines, or Portugal for the Horn of Africa. I'm only getting 100g/treasure ship, they're at like 250! Alternatively, I might repurpose more navy cap from galleys in the Med to more light ships and just steal that poo poo. Or I could zerg for Asia, I've got colonists started in Australia and I've taken the Kongo and half of Mutapa (the mines :20bux:) But i stayed up super late playing anyway, time to go to bed.

*I think it happened when I got the choice to change the interest or terms on loans. Switched it up to 24 months and suddenly the banks were just throwing money at me.

RabidWeasel posted:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Mercantilism_events

There's a reason why I almost always keep a trader and a master of mint on the books if I can. Looks like they nerfed the +200 adm/dip event to only fire once per game per country though.

Thanks, I was having a hell of a time finding which list of events it actually was.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jazerus posted:

Did you play EU3? That was something that could happen very rarely in that game, but never in EU4 to my knowledge.

I've seen it happen in EU4, but am not entirely sure I remember the circumstances. I think it has to be same culture, and maybe also a core in the province. It's definitely happened to me before, but that was before Cossacks so I don't know if it's been changed to be horde only since.

pdxjohan posted:

Spy offense guy will be awesome in 1.16.

Wiz will tell you why on thursday.

Espionage becoming a more fleshed out system has been much awaited for, even with the improvements on Espionage ideas. Looking forward!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I've played maybe a dozen Austria games in the past week and not once has the Burgundian thing fired.

Then I play a game as Navarra for shits and Giggles and it fires for AI Austria in the second year.

It definitely fires a lot less now with the new Burgundy since it requires that Burgundy make Charles into a general and then get him killed, but since they have like 4 unions going it's much more likely that one of their partners makes him into a general and then welp gently caress you no inheritance.

I like the new Burgundy but that whole bit just seems poorly thought out.

vvv Oh well in that case :v:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 6, 2016

feller
Jul 5, 2006

He starts as a general

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

YF-23 posted:

I've seen it happen in EU4, but am not entirely sure I remember the circumstances. I think it has to be same culture, and maybe also a core in the province. It's definitely happened to me before, but that was before Cossacks so I don't know if it's been changed to be horde only since.

There is an event that will give you a core on a province that you occupy. The province has to be your religion and also not the state religion of the country you're at war with.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Welp I found out today that the Ethiopia game I was working on isnt allowing for achievements for some reason, so time to start over :negative:

Not going to go to Egypt too early this time, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Natural Scientist can push you over the limit to get the buff for controlling a specific good, and also he massively increases the value of a large Asian/African trade empire.

What? No. Natural Scientist only increases your production efficiency, which doesn't affect your goods produced at all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

Trader not only gives you more trade income but also reduces the trade income of your rivals (if you are fighting them over a trade node)

The second part here is also incorrect, Trade Efficiency just increases your income and doesn't affect power, so it's not doing anything to any of your trade competitors.

For advisers I usually prefer

ADM: -2 RR, +2% Missionary Strength, -0.10 yearly inflation reduction, 10% Production Efficiency. 10% taxes can be good too but for most nations the PE scales better and also gives settler chance for colonizes.
DIP: +1 Dip Rep, +30% Better Relations Over Time, 10% Trade Efficiency. There are a lot of weak or very niche Diplo advisers imo.
MIL: Really the only one that's bad is +10% Forcelimits, it'd be a really niche situation where a temporary, small increase in forcelimits is useful.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Pellisworth posted:

The second part here is also incorrect, Trade Efficiency just increases your income and doesn't affect power, so it's not doing anything to any of your trade competitors.

Are you sure? I'm positive it increased power in EU3 and I never heard of it being changed in EU4.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trade efficiency doesn't affect trade power at all, only your income.

Lots of people giving incorrect advice ITT.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jabarto posted:

Are you sure? I'm positive it increased power in EU3 and I never heard of it being changed in EU4.

Yes, I'm certain. For a long time in EU4 there were three modifiers: Trade Power, Trade Efficiency, and Trade Income modifiers. Efficiency used to increase both Power and Income.

It was changed in a major patch quite a while ago, the National Trade Income modifier is gone entirely and Efficiency now only modifies income and NOT Power.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Here's how income is calculated:

TAX = Base tax * (100% + Tax income efficiency)
PRODUCTION = Goods Produced * Price * (100% + Production Efficiency)
TRADE = Goods Produced * Price * (100% + Trade Efficiency)

Tax is generally the weakest since it doesn't increase with tech. Production and trade are much better as they increase throughout the game from technology. Trade is the best because you can capture other nations' trade income in addition to your own.

Goods Produced modifiers are far and away the strongest economic bonus, you'll notice it affects both Production and Trade and is multiplicative with Production/Trade Efficiency. Goods Produced is also the only way to boost gold mine income.

The +10% Goods Produced in Administrative ideas makes it actually a stronger pick than Economic for direct income modifiers (Econ has +10% Tax and Production efficiency). Econ is more for the inflation reduction, autonomy reduction, and building/development discounts.

Edit: also Production Efficiency increases Settler Chance by 1% for every 5% PE so there's a small benefit there for colonizers.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 6, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also another reason why Quantity is so good: it gives you a diplo policy with Trade that gives you +20% GP, which is just insane.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Arrath posted:

Holy poo poo I, as England, surprise fell into a succession war for France against Savoy in 1498. And, uh, won because they'd been in the middle of curb stomping Burgundy but were badly depleted by it. I was full up on manpower after an extended recovery period following an ill advised and fated adventure into Brittany (well, Provence)

Now to see if I have any chance at all of holding this together for 50 years.

And every time I scroll out too far I get terrified by the gigantic Muscovy, Otto and so on blobs.

317 hours of EUIV and I still have never had a fun Personal Union or succession war happen to me. :smith:

Uh... except for that brief patch close to release where they let you force a PU on anyone you had a royal marriage with. :getin:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Fintilgin posted:

317 hours of EUIV and I still have never had a fun Personal Union or succession war happen to me. :smith:

I actually had to wage war against France as Poland for the throne of Bohemia. I won. :getin:

However, you can't form the Commonwealth if you have more than one union, for some asinine reason. This meant I had to wait like sixty years until Bohemia was integrated until I could form the PLC. On the bright side, once Bohemia was integrated I had an automatic core on Prague without any separatism, so free westernisation ahoy!

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I just had one happen to me in my Muscovy -> Russia that is ridiculous.

I'm no expert and I'm playing Ironman, so I spent too much time avoiding Poland/Lithuania and only expanded east and south. Poland formed the Commonwealth and they've blobbed up with chunks of the HRE, Hungary and the Ottoman Empire. After my first dynasty dies off, I get a new Hapsburg ruler through a royal marriage/alliance with Austria. About 10 years later, BAM. My rival for the entire game, the Commonwealth, is placed under a personal union with me. And leads it to an easy succession war with France, since I had blobbed up Sweden, Austria, and Commonwealth on my side.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to integrate it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I had my dynasty die out as Byz in like 1445, got a Hapsburg, and then got that event which makes Hungary into your PU minor. That was an interesting game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think one of my biggest wishes is some sort of system that would let you gun toward PUs, or at least know they are coming, short of dynasty trees that always come up when this topic comes up. Some sort of event chain and monarch point dump like westernization, maybe.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

I think one of my biggest wishes is some sort of system that would let you gun toward PUs, or at least know they are coming, short of dynasty trees that always come up when this topic comes up. Some sort of event chain and monarch point dump like westernization, maybe.

I'd like that too, but I feel like it would be way too powerful.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:asoiaf: Started a game as England, it started going well. Then by the 1550s it started going downhill. Took Scotland, took Ireland and was just planning to bunker down and colonize the gently caress out of the new world as Portugal and Spain didn't really seem inclined to do anything. Then it was literally nonstop war from 1550-1680. I'd end one war and a new one would immediately start, end that war and whoops colonial independence movement since you have no units left. Beat that down and suddenly the first round of truces end and I'm at war again. Oh time for the English Civil War!

Ironically the Religious League War was probably the best things ever to happen to me. I outright gave up paying off 15-20 loans and just kept taking more or and more out to build ships and buildings until I was bankrupt. Then since every single opponent and colonial nation was already at war or on my side in a war I just cruised out the entire bankruptcy duration and now I'm finally doing well.

This is easily the most frustrating Iron Man game I've ever played. Playing as England has really exposed some of the more irritating elements of the game to me. AI Naval groups appear to not suffer from FoW and will instantly begin moving if you tell your armada to move in that direction. Denmark is plaguing me nonstop with Trade CB because they send their fleet on a piracy mission for a single month then revoke it instantly.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 6, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I'm trying for the "First Come First Serve" Achievement and I've hit a bit of a snag. The snag? Spain owns everything and is loving huge.

See below:

North America

Canada is allied to me and actually independent as Great Britain got clowned on by me while doing the "For Odin!" achievement. Florida is Spain's colony, Portugese Mexico and Portugese Louisiana are Portugal's. French Canada is France's colony and the rest are all westernized Native American tribes (seriously).

South America

I feel pretty good in South America as I own almost everything and can just wait to take the Spanish and Dutch colonial nations in a few years.

Europe

Wales is my vassal that I'm integrating. But the problem with Spain should be pretty evident (they're massive). Making matters worse, Spain currently has a PU over Portugal and I have no idea how I can take all the land I need without breaking the PU. It says the PU will break on monarch death as Spanish prestige is -85 or so thanks to the war (Spain's monarch is 40ish). Is there any way Spain can regain the prestige and stabilize the PU?

Speaking of war, the war I had with them absolutely killed my manpower. I went from around 150k manpower to what you see there. Thankfully, I was able to grab half of the Caribbean (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, half of Hispanola and half of the small islands), the upper half of Brazil and some random North American provinces but I have no idea what to do to stop them in the next war. Just grinding them down to this was agonizing. I used a Trade Conflict CB as that let me bring in Austria, which I'm now thinking may have been a mistake? Natural allies in France, Burgundy, Milan and the Pope all hate me from what I did to the English. I'm currently allied with Austria, Bohemia and Lithuania. Lithuania said my war with Spain is too far away. Should I drop them?

Given how much time I've put into this run I just don't want to get really close and gently caress it up. I should still be able to pull it off right? Year is 1654.

edit: I also can't rival anyone as my capital is in North America.

edit2: The toughest part of the war was having to wage it in not just 2 but five different theaters: Iberia, Central Europe, North America, Caribbean, South America. I had Spain outgunned but couldn't ever bring everyone to bear at once because I needed to keep armies in all the theaters. I also utterly failed at sinking their navies as they'd get psychic and move right as I was about to engage. Fixing naval combat to be like land combat would be really good...

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 7, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Welp I found out today that the Ethiopia game I was working on isnt allowing for achievements for some reason, so time to start over :negative:

What I did for my Prester John run was to immediately force-vassalize all of the Coptic nations around you, feed shia makuria to Alodia, and once you fight Adal feed Kaffa and Medri Bahri some. They've never reliably allied anyone in my Ethiopia games, maybe take Kaffa's gold mine if you want. Try not to get too far into Somalia until unlocking some religious ideas, Ethiopia does start as an Empire though (and accepts Somali as a culture) so it's not as bad as it could be. There is a bit of luck involved, because if Adal allies the Mamluks and the latter still guarantee Hejaz you're boned. I took exploration second, locked down the cape and the juicy gold mines around it, and then tried to gain control of Malacca for even more money from trade.

After that it's waiting for a european ally and or waiting for the ottomans to get in a big war or unstable situation. I ended up losing a war or two to the Ottos, the first time they took some useless desert provinces that were in egypt/levant, the second time I had to white peace even though I declared. I pounced on them with the Commonwealth when they were down, even after the first war they had nearly recovered to full strength.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Odobenidae posted:

What I did for my Prester John run was to immediately force-vassalize all of the Coptic nations around you, feed shia makuria to Alodia, and once you fight Adal feed Kaffa and Medri Bahri some. They've never reliably allied anyone in my Ethiopia games, maybe take Kaffa's gold mine if you want. Try not to get too far into Somalia until unlocking some religious ideas, Ethiopia does start as an Empire though (and accepts Somali as a culture) so it's not as bad as it could be. There is a bit of luck involved, because if Adal allies the Mamluks and the latter still guarantee Hejaz you're boned. I took exploration second, locked down the cape and the juicy gold mines around it, and then tried to gain control of Malacca for even more money from trade.

After that it's waiting for a european ally and or waiting for the ottomans to get in a big war or unstable situation. I ended up losing a war or two to the Ottos, the first time they took some useless desert provinces that were in egypt/levant, the second time I had to white peace even though I declared. I pounced on them with the Commonwealth when they were down, even after the first war they had nearly recovered to full strength.
Yeah I started over and vassalized Alodia and Medri Bahri, annexed Kaffa, annexed Adal and released Harar (I should have simply annexed all of it and kept Harar's land. Oh well, will annex them soon). I am waiting for Alodia to fabricate a claim on Makuria so I can feed them to Alodia (but I have been waiting 15 years...). Kilwa got swole and is allied to Ajuuraan and I had allied Warsangali but no CB on Ajuuraan, so I may need to eat Warsangali before I can go south.

Is there any way to get my vassal to forge a claim on someone that is not my rival?

axeil posted:

So I'm trying for the "First Come First Serve" Achievement and I've hit a bit of a snag. The snag? Spain owns everything and is loving huge.
You still have almost 200 years, I think you can do it. Wait for your manpower to recover and then then next war use only merc infantry (or mostly merc infantry). Have you considered moving your capital to Europe? Is that even possible? Each war you can focus on clearing up one front. Maybe wait to see if the PU ends and jump on Portugal while they dont have any allies? I'm sure you can figure out a way if you stick it out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

zedprime posted:

I wonder how much you could add to make a better 'Diplomatic Reputation' system.

Like DipRep ranges from -100 to 100 and decays to 0 very very slowly. Positive diprep could have all sorts of good effects on your relations with other neighbors, makes PU more likely, and improves your trade income. Negative would do the opposite. Perhaps you could even spend diprep to put your dynasty on another throne you have a RM who doesn't have an heir with for 'free'.

Diprep would go up for 'good guy' actions like:
Returning cores in peace deals to nations that aren't your subject or liberating nations
Being a peace for long periods
Guaranteeing independence of non subjects
Honoring alliances
Joining coalitions against aggressive nations
etc

It would go down for obvious reasons.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I would really love if they added an extremely simplified dynastic game similar to CK2.

The problem with that is the hardware crunch, CK2 can be a lot worse on older computers than EU4 because it's simulating an enormous number of characters as opposed to far fewer EU4 nations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bort Bortles posted:

Is there any way to get my vassal to forge a claim on someone that is not my rival?

Try marking the province as vital interest. I don't know if this guarantees it happening but I was getting reliable claims that way. Maybe the vassal would have done it anyway. Who knows.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

axeil posted:

The toughest part of the war was having to wage it in not just 2 but five different theaters: Iberia, Central Europe, North America, Caribbean, South America. I had Spain outgunned but couldn't ever bring everyone to bear at once because I needed to keep armies in all the theaters.

You don't. Put up some forts on the borders of your empire, and then focus on taking Iberia and achieving your wargoal. When their capital is sieged and they have to rely upon colonial nations to fight (and they'll be stuck on interlocking border forts) you can take time to mop up anything left if you still don't have the warscore to take what you want.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

Try marking the province as vital interest. I don't know if this guarantees it happening but I was getting reliable claims that way. Maybe the vassal would have done it anyway. Who knows.
Ahh yeah I knew I was forgetting something, I will try that, thank you!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

You don't. Put up some forts on the borders of your empire, and then focus on taking Iberia and achieving your wargoal. When their capital is sieged and they have to rely upon colonial nations to fight (and they'll be stuck on interlocking border forts) you can take time to mop up anything left if you still don't have the warscore to take what you want.

Huh, interesting. I'll give that a try. I just knocked off the Dutch colonies while Austria was busy so they wouldn't join the war. Now I just need to build those forts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bort Bortles posted:

Not going to go to Egypt too early this time, though.

Always Be Sniping Alexandria/Cairo before the Ottomans get there.

Also grab your achievement provinces and quit your game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Lol at the guy who can't beat Spain while making more money than Croesus and sharing no land borders with them. Just sink their navies dude, like build 100 heavies and just wreck them. The AI will take a poo poo and die, and you win. If you're having trouble catching their navies, do that thing where you detach your light ships and send them in first to pin down the fleet. Also, you can scout out where their main fleet's at while at peace, so make sure you and them are in the same sea zone when you declare war. Instant naval sneak attack.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Lol at the guy who can't beat Spain while making more money than Croesus and sharing no land borders with them. Just sink their navies dude, like build 100 heavies and just wreck them. The AI will take a poo poo and die, and you win. If you're having trouble catching their navies, do that thing where you detach your light ships and send them in first to pin down the fleet. Also, you can scout out where their main fleet's at while at peace, so make sure you and them are in the same sea zone when you declare war. Instant naval sneak attack.

I was able to beat them when I did the fort strategy instead of trying to win on 5 fronts at once. The colonial nations couldn't do poo poo and I just wore down the Spanish at home. Right now all their colonial nations are revolting as the last peace deal hit them with -70 prestige. Hoping they win as not having to do that again will be much, much easier.

The good news is for odin! is now done:

Here's what things look like in the Americas now. Spain annexed Portugal, which is rather annoying though.

The big issue I have now is needing tons of admin and diplo points to take everything.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 7, 2016

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You don't need to core provinces that were colonized, only ones that used to be natives. Also if you have Religious or wait a couple years for the Imperialism cb you won't need to pay any diplo points either.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fintilgin posted:

I wonder how much you could add to make a better 'Diplomatic Reputation' system.

Like DipRep ranges from -100 to 100 and decays to 0 very very slowly. Positive diprep could have all sorts of good effects on your relations with other neighbors, makes PU more likely, and improves your trade income. Negative would do the opposite. Perhaps you could even spend diprep to put your dynasty on another throne you have a RM who doesn't have an heir with for 'free'.

Diprep would go up for 'good guy' actions like:
Returning cores in peace deals to nations that aren't your subject or liberating nations
Being a peace for long periods
Guaranteeing independence of non subjects
Honoring alliances
Joining coalitions against aggressive nations
etc

It would go down for obvious reasons.

I really like the idea of gaming the diplo system as an alternate means of expansion to constant outright conquest, maximum Habsburg style. A DLC focused on fleshing out dynastic politics seems like such a no brainer.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's an interesting idea, as long as it's not implemented in a way that messes with blobbing.

So in my Mzab -> Algeria run I kinda beat Spain and Portugal up some to control the trade node, now the "Restore Al-Andalus" decision popped up. Does anyone know if this will disable Barbarossa? Switching Ideas to Granadan would be really sweet.
Looking at the textfile it seems it only requires Maghrebi culture at the start, can anyone confirm this? Need my sweet coring cost reduction!

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 7, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Fun bug, almost ran out of time even with it

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

TTBF posted:

How are a few forts supposed to be able to buy enough time to siege down Madrid?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Border forts on low development land across a vast empire are going to give less warscore than any single fort in Iberia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

he;lp

They won't declare on me (I'm allied with ottomans and ming), but it's going to be fairly obnoxious to crack, since the ottomans won't join any offensive war due to their 4 loans which they're apparently never going to pay off.

I tried being all tricky and demanding a province from Brandenburg hoping to declare on them in the period after the truce expiring and them re-joining the coalition but apparently that doesn't work.

Normally i'd just go expand on the other side of the world but I've only got 100 years left to conquer all of Germany, i don't think it's gonna happen unless i take the coalition head on at some point. Thoughts?

• Locked thread