Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

Necropotence.

None of those decks are doing things that are good for the format.

Edit: The Eldrazi deck is probably the closest thing there is to a fair usage of Spirit Guides.

Yeah, the decks that use it are like.. Storm (maybe???), Living End (not really important to the deck) and Grishoalbrand (gtfo). Compared to those, using Simian Spirit Guide to cast a 2-drop on turn 1 is positively fair.

The 2-drop isn't fair, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Necropotence.

None of those decks are doing things that are good for the format.

Edit: The Eldrazi deck is probably the closest thing there is to a fair usage of Spirit Guides.

Alright I'm calling you out on this: what the gently caress is good for Modern? What's the good direction the format should be moving in?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

Alright I'm calling you out on this: what the gently caress is good for Modern? What's the good direction the format should be moving in?

Give me Counterspell or give me death.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think Wizards should no joke take a good, long look at printing Force of Will into modern.

As a bonus, it's a great troll of people who don't understand FoW's relationship with fair decks, as we see in this thread whenever the possibility gets raised and someone chimes in about how it's too powerful for Standard.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

IMO: Get rid of Eye of Ugin, Simian Spirit Guide and Lightning Bolt. Unban Dig Through Time and consider additional control-oriented unbans (one of Ponder/Preordain? maybe both).

I feel as though Lightning Bolt's actually been too powerful for a really long time, but it's nestled itself into the same spot that Brainstorm occupies in Legacy. There's no card that comes close to matching Bolt's mixture of efficiency, power and versatility, but no one seriously looks at it as a ban candidate because it's so entrenched.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 6, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apparently the UR Eldrazi deck has a 95% winrate, with 5 different players on it.

JerryLee posted:

I think Wizards should no joke take a good, long look at printing Force of Will into modern.

As a bonus, it's a great troll of people who don't understand FoW's relationship with fair decks, as we see in this thread whenever the possibility gets raised and someone chimes in about how it's too powerful for Standard.
Being able to tap out to slam a Planeswalker and then protect it is actually really powerful. In the context of Legacy FoW is not amazing in fair matchups, but in standard it is 100% worth it to go down a card if it nets you a 4-5 mana advantage.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Niton posted:

IMO: Get rid of Eye of Ugin, Simian Spirit Guide and Lightning Bolt. Unban Dig Through Time and consider additional control-oriented unbans (one of Ponder/Preordain? maybe both).

Lightning Bolt's actually been too powerful for a really long time, but it occupies the same spot as Brainstorm does in Legacy. The card is a huge outlier and there's no card that comes close to its ubiquity and power level in the format.

I would support looking at a Bolt ban as well. I feel like things are more interesting when the burn spells have their own niches: ShockWild Slash or Flame Slash for removal, Lava Spike and Rift Bolt for counting to 20 as quickly as possible, Incinerate as an all-rounder.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Apparently the UR Eldrazi deck has a 95% winrate, with 5 different players on it.
Being able to tap out to slam a Planeswalker and then protect it is actually really powerful. In the context of Legacy FoW is not amazing in fair matchups, but in standard it is 100% worth it to go down a card if it nets you a 4-5 mana advantage.

I mean, it's a perfectly legitimate line for a control deck to try to play, but if your opponent has any redundancy in their hand whatsoever, then making one of their removal spells into a Mind Rot isn't going to be upside for you.

Also, there's the tension of playing enough blue cards to enable it, especially once we're out of gold card hell in Standard.

I can't see the future, of course, so I can't say you're outright wrong, but I think it's just silly to be as afraid as some people are of Force of Will in Standard. The drawback is real. It might not feel real at the exact moment you lose a match to it, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you will win other matches because your opponent 2-for-1ed themselves, it's just not as obvious when it happens.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 6, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

In a slower format like the current one Force would be a big deal.

In others where there are some really high impact early plays, it would be a speed bump.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I would support looking at a Bolt ban as well. I feel like things are more interesting when the burn spells have their own niches: ShockWild Slash or Flame Slash for removal, Lava Spike and Rift Bolt for counting to 20 as quickly as possible, Incinerate as an all-rounder.

Wild Slash and Flame Slash aren't making their way into Modern just because Bolt leaves.

You just won't see 1 CMC burn that's not counting to 20 or named Galvanic anymore.

E: and I'm very skeptical in the counting to 20 department.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wild Slash and Flame Slash aren't making their way into Modern just because Bolt leaves.

You just won't see 1 CMC burn that's not counting to 20 or named Galvanic anymore.

I was talking more about "staple burn spells" and not just "1 CMC," though my examples did a poor job of making that clear since they were all 1 CMC (for practical purposes in the case of Rift Bolt).

I forgot that Roast has displaced Flame Slash for many practical purposes, but that's just changing the name of the card that I'd use in my example.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

Well there was the SoI booster that got sold on ebay and posted to imgur if that counts

i'm pretty sure that this is like, actually illegal. like that booster must have been stolen right?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

C-Euro posted:

Is there some joke here that's going completely over my head?

heres a joke for the everygoon

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I mean, it's a perfectly legitimate line for a control deck to try to play, but if your opponent has any redundancy in their hand whatsoever, then making one of their removal spells into a Mind Rot isn't going to be upside for you.

Also, there's the tension of playing enough blue cards to enable it, especially once we're out of gold card hell in Standard.

I can't see the future, of course, so I can't say you're outright wrong, but I think it's just silly to be as afraid as some people are of Force of Will in Standard. The drawback is real. It might not feel real at the exact moment you lose a match to it, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you will win other matches because your opponent 2-for-1ed themselves, it's just not as obvious when it happens.
What if they're playing a 4-5 mana spell, as most standard decks do? They end up so far behind on the board that I doubt the lost card matters much. Heck, you can cast Painful Truths with that tempo advantage and be up on both cards and mana.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

An actual playable control deck? Good counterspells? Not getting attacked by Griselbrand or Emrakul on turn 2? Not dying on turn 3 to a Blighted Agent?

Real answer: Getting rid of the reserve list and getting rid of this garbage format along with it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think banning Bolt would kill Burn directly at all - it's probably the most powerful card in the deck, but there's reasonable replacements if all you really want to do is kill people as fast as possible.

I do think it'd affect what creatures showed up, and Burn might not thrive as much in a metagame where the other decks run 4 fewer turn 1 kill spells.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

What if they're playing a 4-5 mana spell, as most standard decks do? They end up so far behind on the board that I doubt the lost card matters much. Heck, you can cast Painful Truths with that tempo advantage and be up on both cards and mana.

Maybe there would be pressure on opposing Standard decks to have a plan besides tapping out each turn for whatever the canonical Good Stuff is at that point on the curve :wth:

I'm being sarcastic, ofc, but you seem to be making a lot of very specific assumptions as to how these games/matchups must play out. Granted, I may be doing the same thing to some extent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it's not a good stuff deck then isn't FoW likely to be good on the grounds that it can take out their key cards?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm pretty sure that this is like, actually illegal. like that booster must have been stolen right?

yup

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

JerryLee posted:

Force of Will is in a similar spot, where many people believe it is only good in degenerate formats where the card disadvantage is less important. That really isn't true. Putting a card like that in Standard, when you can tap out for a planeswalker, rest assured you have a free way to protect it, and then be able to untap and protect it further, is incredibly powerful. This is just not a card that we are willing to put into Standard, since it would require us warping the entire format around the card—something that I don't think is worthwhile for any one card. I wouldn't expect this to be in a Standard-legal set any time in the near future, barring wayward buses or a radical shift in the direction we want to move Standard toward.

literally yesterday

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lsv a win away from top 8

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rinkles posted:

coverage team panicking that they won't be able to find a replacement for top 8 commentary

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I mean, Sam Stoddard put an article out literally yesterday about how they will never do that and how OP Force of Will would be even in Standard so its an exercise in futility to even debate it.

I think the other thing people forget is that Force of Will is not in fact a dead card without a pitch card. I have certainly hardcast Force of Will in my time.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Did I miss it or did nobody post that Eldrazi decklist? The one with Drowner of Hope and Vile Aggregate..

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

If it's not a good stuff deck then isn't FoW likely to be good on the grounds that it can take out their key cards?

Well, there's a wide gulf between "is playing a narrow deck with no individually good cards" and "is playing a deck that has no plan except to curve the best creatures at each CMC like some AI opponent."

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, Sam Stoddard put an article out literally yesterday about how they will never do that and how OP Force of Will would be even in Standard so its an exercise in futility to even debate it.

I think the other thing people forget is that Force of Will is not in fact a dead card without a pitch card. I have certainly hardcast Force of Will in my time.

I don't read the mothership anymore, so mea culpa, I msised this.

Point taken that this means we won't, as a matter of actual fact, be seeing FoW printed into Standard/Modern soon, but I was never really arguing that we would be. As far as whether this actually means that FoW in Standard would be good or bad, I hope you can forgive me for being highly skeptical of R&D's ninja-fu when it comes to sculpting fun Standards. :v:

Rinkles posted:

This is good :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There was a deck tech. I can't find it yet but someone transcribed the main as
4 Eldrazi Mimic
3 Eldrazi Obligator
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Endless One
4 Eldrazi Skyspawner
4 Drowner of Hope
4 Vile Aggregate
2 Ruination Guide
3 Dismember
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Eye of Ugin
3 Cavern of Souls
1 Gemstone Caverns
2 Island
2 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Shivan Reef

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Having been on the opposing side of Moat or Wrath with Force backup in the olden days, I can definitely vouch that it's only good in/against unfair decks is ridiculous.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Well, there's a wide gulf between "is playing a narrow deck with no individually good cards" and "is playing a deck that has no plan except to curve the best creatures at each CMC like some AI opponent."

I don't read the mothership anymore, so mea culpa, I msised this.

Point taken that this means we won't, as a matter of actual fact, be seeing FoW printed into Standard/Modern soon, but I was never really arguing that we would be. As far as whether this actually means that FoW in Standard would be good or bad, I hope you can forgive me for being highly skeptical of R&D's ninja-fu when it comes to sculpting fun Standards. :v:

This is good :)

What he said: "Force of Will is in a similar spot, where many people believe it is only good in degenerate formats where the card disadvantage is less important. That really isn't true. Putting a card like that in Standard, when you can tap out for a planeswalker, rest assured you have a free way to protect it, and then be able to untap and protect it further, is incredibly powerful. This is just not a card that we are willing to put into Standard, since it would require us warping the entire format around the card—something that I don't think is worthwhile for any one card. I wouldn't expect this to be in a Standard-legal set any time in the near future, barring wayward buses or a radical shift in the direction we want to move Standard toward."

The point of the article is explaining why they don't reprint [your favorite card]. The answer is that they try them all the time, but the reason you like [your favorite card] is because its busted to begin with. They went ahead and did it with Mutavault and Thoughtseize so people wouldn't whine that they don't reprint staple cards but everyone rightly complained that they were miserable. He also said he doubts Mystic is gone forever, its just to see if it opens better design space for green and that Lightning Strike isn't too powerful, its just that its a boring constructed card. Most of the cards people like were development mistakes to begin with.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 6, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

There was a deck tech. I can't find it yet but someone transcribed the main as
4 Eldrazi Mimic
3 Eldrazi Obligator
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Endless One
4 Eldrazi Skyspawner
4 Drowner of Hope
4 Vile Aggregate
2 Ruination Guide
3 Dismember
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Eye of Ugin
3 Cavern of Souls
1 Gemstone Caverns
2 Island
2 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Shivan Reef

Going by fair prices, 50% of the cost of the deck is Scalding Tarns. That might not be true if it wins the Pro Tour, obviously.

I can't wait for this deck to be everyone's favorite for a whole week before those same people are tired of it and call for bans on Eye and/or Temple.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

drat, that Eldrazi deck moves fast.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The UR list does seem to be effective in the eldrazi mirror. Cards like Eldrazi Obligator and Drowner of Hope are very good at winning those races.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
im pretty sure that force of will feels pretty bad to cast against jund a lot of the time.

suicidesteve posted:

An actual playable control deck? Good counterspells? Not getting attacked by Griselbrand or Emrakul on turn 2? Not dying on turn 3 to a Blighted Agent?

Real answer: Getting rid of the reserve list and getting rid of this garbage format along with it.

maybe if some of the older cards cycled out sometimes, to freshen up the format every so often.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The UR list does seem to be effective in the eldrazi mirror. Cards like Eldrazi Obligator and Drowner of Hope are very good at winning those races.

Also, chalice seems mostly dead against it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Why don't we go full retard and finish the simian/elvish spirit guide cycle?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

BDM: "Plinter Stwin"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I mean I'm not going all the way to the other extreme or anything and arguing that FoW is a stone dead card in fair matchups, merely that it isn't some sort of bogeyman that destroys the fair decks' hopes and dreams like a villain in a Kelly cartoon.

Mind you, when it is the card that wrecks you, the feelbads will be extremely mentally available in future discussions about the card, so I can certainly understand why that's the reaction... but that's also the argument against e.g. nonbasic land hate and we see how well that's shaking out for Standard. I think FoW is similar (and likewise I think that similar arguments for not printing stronger nonbasic hate into Standard are flawed, for the same reasons).

I'll drop it for now since I'm arguing in as much of a vacuum as anyone else when it comes to knowing exactly how the hypothetical Standard format(s) would evolve, though.

kizudarake posted:

Why don't we go full retard and finish the simian/elvish spirit guide cycle?

Innistrad is the perfect opportunity to print Spirit Spirit Guide

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Death Bot posted:

heres a joke for the everygoon

Nice!

I would put a hitler stache on him though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Nice!

I would put a hitler stache on him though.

Jace did nothing wrong.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The thing is, in Standard FoW actually has a mana cost; you can keep FoW up when you cast your big threat, but then when you untap you can hardcast it. You're not going to be forcing on turn 1 in Standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BDM bothering the players on the floor is so loving awkward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Ramos posted:

Jace did nothing wrong.

By the end of the PT we're going to end up with a full-on Fiestajace.

• Locked thread