Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Modern.jpg

It ended so fast they didn't even have the backup game set up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So non spoiler and ProTour related chat, I ordered a new playmat off of Inked and it really smells with a strong chemical rubber sort of smell. Anyone have a suggestion to cut down on that?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There was a deck tech. I can't find it yet but someone transcribed the main as
4 Eldrazi Mimic
3 Eldrazi Obligator
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Endless One
4 Eldrazi Skyspawner
4 Drowner of Hope
4 Vile Aggregate
2 Ruination Guide
3 Dismember
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Eye of Ugin
3 Cavern of Souls
1 Gemstone Caverns
2 Island
2 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Shivan Reef

What is the point of running ruination guide in this list? Just to get 2 mana extra on endless ones?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't wait for this deck to be everyone's favorite for a whole week before those same people are tired of it and call for bans on Eye and/or Temple.

The chat is already crying for bans.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Mince Pieface posted:

What is the point of running ruination guide in this list? Just to get 2 mana extra on endless ones?

Ruination guide is the 2U 3/2 that boosts power.

Conduit of Ruin is the 6 mana 5/5 with CMC reduction.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Did they show the SB of that list?

Ensnaring Bridge seems very good against the Eldrazi decks if you can dump your hand fast enough.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Snacksmaniac posted:

7 of the 8 decks in the feature match area are Eldrazi and a number of them are virtually locked for top 8

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm sick of all the same old decks.

Ban the breakout deck.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Niton posted:

Ruination guide is the 2U 3/2 that boosts power.

Conduit of Ruin is the 6 mana 5/5 with CMC reduction.

haha I'm dumb

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
You can hear Corporate panicking through the explanations of "well, this doesn't mean modern is broken!"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm sick of all the same old decks.

Ban the breakout deck.

Thats kinda the thing, I want there to be new decks, but this is a little absurd.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Also for what it's worth, I think Skyspawner is probably the best version of the deck - being able to go to the skies gives you the ability to push through the last few points of damage.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Was the power level of old colorless stuff not taken into account with the new eldrazi when designed? Because the synergies are amazing, and the combination in modern seems dominant. I know one tournament is an anecdote, I wonder how you counter this?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

People always want to ban new things. Hopefully it doesn't work so soon after banning twin.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Chairman Pow! posted:

Was the power level of old colorless stuff not taken into account with the new eldrazi when designed? Because the synergies are amazing, and the combination in modern seems dominant. I know one tournament is an anecdote, I wonder how you counter this?

It's mostly wotc does not care about modern.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Chairman Pow! posted:

Pro tour also always has weird stuff going on. The meta is really different compared to how SCG and local tournaments will look like in a few months.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean if Affinity were introduced today it would likely run all over a PT where people aren't prepared for it.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chairman Pow! posted:

Ian Duke was talking about it on the stream a bit earlier — they did consider it, but they thought that (a) letting the block do what it wanted to do was more important, and (b) it would be interesting to see what the modern environment looked like

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This is why we can't have nice things.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

A real control deck would probably stomp eldrazi. The issue is how do you win against poison, burn, and affinity.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Lancelot posted:

Ian Duke was talking about it on the stream a bit earlier — they did consider it, but they thought that (a) letting the block do what it wanted to do was more important, and (b) it would be interesting to see what the modern environment looked like

Interesting, I wonder if the emergence of a new deck like this will maybe open up some others that are strong against it. I wonder if more control or midrange would have luck. Its basically just steamrolling aggro decks. I am genuinely curious how pros build to respond to this.

There is no effective sideboards for it here it seems.

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 6, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Saying there's an "Eldrazi deck" is disingenuous because the UR deck is substantially different from the CFB aggro list

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
This is a really good game

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mince Pieface posted:

A real control deck would probably stomp eldrazi. The issue is how do you win against poison, burn, and affinity.

Actually yeah, Wrath of God seems like it'd do a fantastic job making GBS threads on this strategy

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Barry Shitpeas posted:

This is a really good game

I am loving this game, and lets be honest. It's a flavor-win with Eldrazi consuming all of the top spots in this PT.

Edit: loving GUT SHOT!!!!

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 6, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

I am loving this game, and lets be honest. It's a flavor-win with Eldrazi consuming all of the top spots in this PT.

You cannot comprehend these amazing mana price cuts!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Skyspawner would be nice on this board

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

This loving LSV game

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Losing my nerd mind over here

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pretty sure that was the biggest Oblivion Sower I've ever seen.

E: :laffo: THAT ENDING.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
OMG

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Christ.

Gutshot top deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
GUT SHOT

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
GUT SHOT

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

The most LSV win of all time

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Pretty sure that was the biggest Oblivion Sower I've ever seen.

It's just a 5/8

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

this loving game

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ramos posted:

Christ.

Gutshot top deck.

Two gut shots in a row, really.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
That's a gut shot alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
LMAO Luis with Gut Shot

• Locked thread