Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I had to take a sip as I wrote this

I thank you for your sacrifice. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Inspector_666 posted:

That stuff is absolute garbage. It tastes like the worst possible root beer flavoring you can find.

You are crazy, it's loving delicious. We have the higher alcohol content on tap at the bar across the street from my apartment, it's extremely dangerous and amazing. Two of those will have me stumbling home.

the higher alcohol content is like 19% instead of the piddly 5% or whatever you get in the bottled version. They make a 5, 10 and 19 (I think the other is 10) but they only bottle the 5, the others you have to get in a keg. I haven't had the 5% before, but the 19 has a nice bourbon aftertaste.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

H110Hawk posted:

I thank you for your sacrifice. :patriot:

I do what I can :cheers:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Inspector_666 posted:

That stuff is absolute garbage. It tastes like the worst possible root beer flavoring you can find.

I had their not your mother's apple pie at the great American beer festival this year and it was pretty drat good. Not wild about the root beer, at least from the bottle.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

An email came in

beer@work.com posted:

On tap:

Bourbon County Stout
Dogfish 90min IPA
Tahoe Mountain Festivus (Dark Dry Saison w/ spices)
Scrimshaw
Tieton Cherry Cider
Schneider Aventinus

Also i woke up at 11.45 (had no meetings early today so why not) and saw my boss had sent an email at 8am asking me to be in a meeting at 11. Woops.
(actually he was OK with it since he's been asking me to take it easy the last few days)

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Swink posted:

Wanna link me to that git thing?

On the same subject: Visual Studio Code is free, has git integration and is surprisingly awesome.

I used https://nathanj.github.io/gitguide/tour.html . I totally ignored the ssh/putty stuff because it's just going to be for my local use.

Once it's set up, I just open the Git GUI, do 'create new repository' and point it to the folder with my powershell script in it. Then when you edit it and want to 'commit' the changes, you just open it up in the git GUI, choose the repository, add notes and hit commit.

Also, Visual Studio Code is neat, but it doesn't have code folding yet :(

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

go3 posted:

You say false positives, I call it 'dynamically generated training content'!

It's always a great feeling when you have to login to some ancient HP laserjet and can only interact with it using IE 6 because of some incredibly dated Java API it uses.

Also you people are nuts, Not Your Father's RB flies off the shelves in the Maryland area too. Tastes great.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 6, 2016

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Upstate NY too. They were all over that poo poo (and still are). People seem to be under the impression it's classy.
Where upstate? Western NY seems to be pretty solid craft beer territory, the only other fizzy booze encroaching seems to be cider.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dark Helmut posted:

I fell for Zima for a couple weeks in the 90s. NEVER AGAIN.

This Moscow Mule craze? (Is this a national thing or just my area?) Not hopping on that bandwagon...

zima lmao

Moscow Mules were HUGE in Denver as well, to the point where we gave many a copper mug set as wedding gifts. Now that I'm back in Boston, people seem to go for either craft beer or straight shots. Not so much the cocktails.

For myself, I'm going to Extreme Beer Fest in Boston tomorrow :getin: if by chance any of you goons will be there, feel free to PM me and we can awkwardly talk about stairs in our houses or something.

edit: re Root Beer, I don't know how long that product has even existed. But maybe the last 2-3 years it's been selling super well in Maine? Maybe longer? :shrug: The guy I was talking to was in his mid 20's so it's not like he has been selling booze that long.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Where upstate? Western NY seems to be pretty solid craft beer territory, the only other fizzy booze encroaching seems to be cider.

It is. Southern Tier is in my town, and last year I threw my friend a bachelor party where we went to a bunch of breweries in Buffalo, including Resurgence, Big Ditch, and Flying Bison.

One of my bigger recent regrets was not putting in for the IT director position Southern Tier had recently.

Also : Not Your Father's Root Beer is decent. shrug.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

DigitalRaven posted:

I've started making Vespers to deal with particularly bad days, because I hate my liver.

I always feel like a tool ordering a Vesper at a bar (and I rarely do, I'm more of a beer guy), but goddamn are they good when done right.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nerdrock posted:

One of my bigger recent regrets was not putting in for the IT director position Southern Tier had recently.
Couldn't be any worse than that Rogue Ales posting

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

It is. Southern Tier is in my town, and last year I threw my friend a bachelor party where we went to a bunch of breweries in Buffalo, including Resurgence, Big Ditch, and Flying Bison.

Also : Not Your Father's Root Beer is decent. shrug.

Christ, how many SH/SC people are there in Buffalo? We need to throw a goon meet or something.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Couldn't be any worse than that Rogue Ales posting

Yeah the posting was relatively reasonable. I know a handful of people that work there and nobody has negative things to say about it, but the position itself had a lot of red flags. 1) New investments : The owner (solid dude, had a beer with him once) let %49 of his company go to investors. added pressure. 2) VERY rapid expansion : They were hiring people left and right for tons of new positions. Scary. 3) It was a new position. While starting from scratch is a very interesting thought, the fact that no clear cut expectations from the position make me think they're going to expect a lot from it. and 4) New leadership. They'd just recently hired a CEO formerly of a major brewer (pabst?). 5) Nothing in the description was clear that you'd have anyone else at your disposal. I can support a couple hundred users solo no problem, but not instantly from scratch.

When I lay them out now, they don't seem to terrible any more.. But, it was a handful of what I perceived as risks that I wasn't prepared to take. My job now is crappy in comparison, but I'd probably have to poo poo on the superintendent's desk to get let go.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Docjowles posted:

edit: re Root Beer, I don't know how long that product has even existed. But maybe the last 2-3 years it's been selling super well in Maine? Maybe longer? :shrug: The guy I was talking to was in his mid 20's so it's not like he has been selling booze that long.

Not your father's has been around for probably 5 years or more, I first heard about it around 5 years ago I believe. They just started bottling it in the last 2-3, it took them a while to find a bottler they wanted to sign a contract with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MF_James posted:

You are crazy, it's loving delicious. We have the higher alcohol content on tap at the bar across the street from my apartment, it's extremely dangerous and amazing. Two of those will have me stumbling home.

the higher alcohol content is like 19% instead of the piddly 5% or whatever you get in the bottled version. They make a 5, 10 and 19 (I think the other is 10) but they only bottle the 5, the others you have to get in a keg. I haven't had the 5% before, but the 19 has a nice bourbon aftertaste.

I this today in the liquor store and voted against it in favor of the Heavy Seas porter.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

psydude posted:

I this today in the liquor store and voted against it in favor of the Heavy Seas porter.
Heavy Seas is my favorite part of BWI layovers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I am now, finally, drinking the aforementioned irish mule.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Christ, how many SH/SC people are there in Buffalo? We need to throw a goon meet or something.
I'd drive over from Rochester for a few hours of wings, beer, and awkward conversation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

I'd drive over from Rochester for a few hours of wings, beer, and awkward conversation.

Bring me a garbage plate while you're at it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Phones. Why did it have to be phones!?

I hate phones!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

luminalflux posted:

An email came in

Also i woke up at 11.45 (had no meetings early today so why not) and saw my boss had sent an email at 8am asking me to be in a meeting at 11. Woops.
(actually he was OK with it since he's been asking me to take it easy the last few days)

BCBS on tap, in your office?? I hate you.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
beer.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I hate phones Jock. I HATE 'em!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Bring me a garbage plate while you're at it.
It's a deal. There's a good chance that will be my dinner tonight or tomorrow now that you've brought them up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Phones. Why did it have to be phones!?

I hate phones!

Anyone ever noticed how phone guys are weird as poo poo? They're like the podiatrists of IT.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

psydude posted:

Anyone ever noticed how phone guys are weird as poo poo? They're like the podiatrists of IT.

Confirming that being a phone guy is like dealing with smelly feet all day.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sirotan posted:

BCBS on tap, in your office?? I hate you.

So glorious. Schneider Aventinus was OK but the Dark Saison with spices is the vilest thing this side of pumpkin beer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

psydude posted:

So true.

We have an Avaya Definity system installed back in the early 90s, running over copy installed in the 60s. It failed this week. Well, the copper failed. We have T1s that link our three sites, and one good rain storm, they've poo poo the bed.

Wednesday afternoon I called the phone company, and they said "circuits look fine. Check your PBX." Thursday morning, we reset the PBX but nothing changes. We can make calls internal to each building, but not between them, so it's obviously a line issue.

Our phone support podiatrist comes in, verifies the T1s are off, so we call the phone company back and tell them they suck. "Oh it must be Fairpoint then (they own the lines)."

Fairpoint comes out Friday without saying anything to us, since we're not their customer, says it's fixed, and goes away. But it isn't fixed. So the phone company comes out yesterday, says "Oh yeah, the T1s aren't connecting, something's wrong at the Fairpoint end."

So now I have to wait until Monday for the phone company and Fairpoint to meet up and fix this poo poo. Meanwhile, we have angry customers who can't give us money because we can't route the calls to the people who are capable of taking their money.

E: Looking over my notes, it seems I predicted this failure close to a year ago. I started here as a contractor and gave them an entire analysis of their infrastructure. Almost everything I wrote about the PBX system has come true.

I guess I'm smarter than I thought.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 7, 2016

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Typical phone company runaround.

Sadly this is how things are now. Given that everything is heading to SIP now, your long distance/trunk provider is probably not the person who owns the copper connecting you to the rest of the world. The company that owns the copper probably has their own long distance service, but was underbid by whoever you went with because that company has lower margins since they don't have to support an aging copper infrastructure. The local company has zero incentive to fix your problem quickly, and even in the best of cases, most providers take a "prove it is our issue" approach.

FYI I'm the guy supporting the gross feet you never wash aging Avaya system, and 1/3 of my time is spent fighting with upstream providers. Another 1/3 is fighting with the customer's network team.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only semi-reliable way I have found to get phone service if people don't want to go fully :yaycloud: is to have a provider pull in a fibre which only connects to their SIP network, shove an SBC on the end that they manage, and present the circuit as ISDN.

Dealing with copper terminations and exchange problems or SIP having to mix with internet traffic can gently caress off.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Sip is a horrible protocol that I wish would die yesterday, but it's what we got.

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!
I have owned and operated a computer store and managed services IT firm for almost 15 years and I agree with the previous poster, Phone people are really weird.............

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

The only semi-reliable way I have found to get phone service if people don't want to go fully :yaycloud: is to have a provider pull in a fibre which only connects to their SIP network, shove an SBC on the end that they manage, and present the circuit as ISDN.

Dealing with copper terminations and exchange problems or SIP having to mix with internet traffic can gently caress off.

And this is where the providers are going too. No one wants to support voice T1's. They would rather put in an Adtran or some such, connect data lines to it running SIP, and then run a voice T1 across the room.

The providers have lost a lot of old school knowledge in favor of having SIP folks running things. I definitely have had calls where we are troubleshooting what we think is a PRI (or even worse some sort of old school robbed-bit trunk), but really it is just voice trunk across the room, and even though the provider is supposed to know how to set up the line from whatever SBC/SIP to PRI translation device they have, they are pretty clueless.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I have a few proposals for totally-hosted VOIP systems, and now that we have fiber on the mountain, I think it's the way I'll go. Doing the math, it actually could save me up to $1400/mo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phone people are first against the wall in the IT revolution.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Foe Hammer posted:

I have owned and operated a computer store and managed services IT firm for almost 15 years and I agree with the previous poster, Phone people are really weird.............

So multiple posts cause I'll address this. The weirdness comes from telecom, up till about 5 years ago, being very insular and having their own way of doing things. People started out with ATT or a baby Bell, and for a while had a job for life. A friend of mine basically worked for the same company since he was 19.

The Bell system companies were pretty good for a while with regards to training and promoting from within. A lot of people started out as linesman, operators, or pulling wire in the CO, and then went on to be managers, programmers, accountants, whatever. You ended up with a company full of people that had worked their way up, and had learned how to do things the right way, ie, the company way. I used to say that working for a Baby Bell was like being with a bunch of people who went to summer camp together in high school. They knew all the same people, had the same in jokes, knew all the same bars in Schaumburg IL where the training center was, etc, so there was a real shared experience.

This worked for awhile, but they everything got split up, and then merged again, and blended, and people's jobs were a bit more insecure, and new folks were coming in with new ideas, and then everything went network.

IMO, when phone systems got put on the enterprise network was when stuff got weird. The telecom folks had to leave their telecom dungeon and interact with the rest of the company, and the fights about whether the problem was the phone system or the network got ugly at times. Most old school telecom people found retire in place type jobs where they could babysit an aging system, and the rest of us either got with the times or took a package and tried to open a bar somewhere.

FYI, the next wave of fun will be all the telecom stuff getting virtualized and then there will be the same fights between telecom and enterprise server admins as there were with enterprise network admins.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So multiple posts cause I'll address this. The weirdness comes from telecom, up till about 5 years ago, being very insular and having their own way of doing things

They still sort of do. Our phone guys at work have started trying to grasp routing and firewalls as it's become more relevant for remote working and basically it's impossible trying to get them to think in terms of routed packets as opposed to switched circuits.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The weirdness comes from telecom, up till about 5 years ago, being very insular and having their own way of doing things.
Yet another reason why OpenStack is hosed beyond repair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ratbert90 posted:

Sip is a horrible protocol that I wish would die yesterday, but it's what we got.

uh... IAX? VoIP?
Seriously. What happened? How did it come to sip?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 8, 2016