Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It sure is awesome losing my Lysander Z and other annoyingly hard to come by weapons because the autosave failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Whoa, that sure sucks. Didn't know it could even happen, thought it was only with completion medals.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's both from what I've experienced. I'm going to have to back up my save every time it fails from now on.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Whenever the autosave fails for me it just asks me if I want to try again until it works. What's happening for you?

Also, it looks like a decent inferno weapon farm strategy I bumbled into last night is to go onto Machine Squad, run all the way to the back of the level, have an air raider put up one of those circular barrier walls, and lay into the deroys that drop with rail guns and other long range kill cannons. Once you're down to the very last deroy that spawns on your left, blow all the leg cannons off and hoover up all the drops in relative safety.

It worked really well until I got kicked for accidentally killing my teammates once with the level 90 grenade launcher I just picked up. I don't understand how you can take this game that strictly serious but whatevs, I had fun.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It does ask me to save again and I always do but sometimes even that isn't enough. At the very least it only shows it's ugly head when playing online so I can at least farm offline without issue.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

liquidypoo posted:

Have you seen what you look like when you're punching ants at your feet? :colbert:

It's better.

Watching one punch the air is like watching a giant robot tantrum, and its even better.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There's an update that fixes the autosave loving you over and thank god for that. I had the worse one yet yesterday where an hour of progress didn't save at all even with the icon showing up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
i did it

i saved the earth from the GIANT INSECTS

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I need to grind for armor and heard that level 13 is good for afk farming. Anyone here know the setup for this?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

i did it

i saved the earth from the GIANT INSECTS

That's what they said 8 years ago and we thought we were safe....................................................

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Because I played the :japan: version of 4.1, I don't think I will ever be able to forget what GIANT INSECTS is in Japanese .

(it's KYODAI SEIBUTSU, which actually translates to GIANT CREATURES but that doesn't have the same ring to it)

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

Because I played the :japan: version of 4.1, I don't think I will ever be able to forget what GIANT INSECTS is in Japanese .

(it's KYODAI SEIBUTSU, which actually translates to GIANT CREATURES but that doesn't have the same ring to it)

That translation implies that spiders and dagrons are not insects and I will not stand for it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

keyboard vomit posted:

That translation implies that spiders and dagrons are not insects and I will not stand for it.

Well if you trust Ohara (which clearly, you shouldn't) there are all somehow one creature that "evolves" constantly (he probably means metamorphosis). Something like:

Ant -> Spider - > Retarius? -> Flying Bug? / Queen Ant / King Spider -> Death Queen -> Dragons? -> Kaiju

Yeah OK Ohara, those are definitely all the same creature, sure. I like to imagine he's like the EDF science guy in a completely different field but since he's a scientist they all assume he knows biology too and he's just making poo poo up.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah OK Ohara, those are definitely all the same creature, sure. I like to imagine he's like the EDF science guy in a completely different field but since he's a scientist they all assume he knows biology too and he's just making poo poo up.

He introduces himself as "ravager researcher Ohara" so I just assumed he specialized in robots and motherships.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I also think "shield screen" is weird and "force field" is much more common but he likes to say it so as soon as one shows up he yells shield screen on the radio so everyone has to call it that now.

Retiarius makes sense at least.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I also think "shield screen" is weird and "force field" is much more common but he likes to say it so as soon as one shows up he yells shield screen on the radio so everyone has to call it that now.

Retiarius makes sense at least.

EDF has advanced tactical communications, its why they have to differentiate from normal spider silk and webs, and retarius threads and nets

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

keyboard vomit posted:

EDF has advanced tactical communications

Which reminds me, if you have never played EDF Insect Armageddon you are missing out on quality radio chatter.

Sometimes I wonder if the entire reason Storm 1 can win entire wars solo is because they have the best radio. They hear everyone's communications, including random civilians and news reports. There are missions where you will hear a call to HQ, who will then call you about the call you just heard.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Which reminds me, if you have never played EDF Insect Armageddon you are missing out on quality radio chatter.
I thought Insect Armageddon's radio chatter was trying too hard to be funny, as if the developer was going "See? We GET EDF! We have the silly voiceovers and everything!"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, I love being warned about Hectors multiple times on a map that only has ants. :what:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Morbid posted:

I thought Insect Armageddon's radio chatter was trying too hard to be funny, as if the developer was going "See? We GET EDF! We have the silly voiceovers and everything!"

Did you get far? I feel like they start to grow on you. And the "true" ending is just...stupid, but endearingly so.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

Did you get far? I feel like they start to grow on you. And the "true" ending is just...stupid, but endearingly so.

Insect Armageddon just felt unfinished to me. It really felt like they randomly cut out sections of levels for time and didn't really do much to fix the transitions. I enjoyed it and thought it was fun but just not as complete as it should have been.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't disagree that it's not a super great game, or that they didn't quite reach the Sandlot EDF magic, but they tried, drat it. Also there are a few really cool enemies that they should think about putting into EDF 5, like the spider-carrier and the mantis.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
IA is what you get when you try to apply 'triple A' style Good Game Design(TM) to an EDF game. A serviceable co-op shooter largely lacking in the borrowed charm of it's source material and devoid of it's own.

It was also a bad idea to set the game during 2017. They should have just invented their own invasion and let you actually win at the end instead of trying to tie themselves to an already flimsy continuity. I really didn't need the gap between 'The European front has fallen, the Mothership is headed for America!' and 'The Mothership is on it's way to Japan!' fleshed out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
IA is important because it answers the age old question 'can love bloom on the battlefield?'.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Finished it on normal (possibly hard, I forget), didn't care enough to get the true ending and watched it on Youtube.

Mr Phillby posted:

IA is what you get when you try to apply 'triple A' style Good Game Design(TM) to an EDF game. A serviceable co-op shooter largely lacking in the borrowed charm of it's source material and devoid of it's own.
Pretty much how I feel about Insect Armageddon. I really wanted to like the game, but it just never felt right and came across as a mediocre budget shooter with some amusing writing. I might have liked it better if it wasn't billed as an EDF game at all, because there was never any chance the Matt Hazard guys (or anyone, really) could replicate the feel of the Sandlot games.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They seemed like they understood the idea behind the gameplay of EDF, but the xp and currency system show that they have no idea how the weapon system works and makes me question how much they actually played the original.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Broseph Brostar posted:

They seemed like they understood the idea behind the gameplay of EDF, but the xp and currency system show that they have no idea how the weapon system works and makes me question how much they actually played the original.

The enemy distribution and over reliance on rail turret sequences was what made me question that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cowman posted:

Insect Armageddon just felt unfinished to me. It really felt like they randomly cut out sections of levels for time and didn't really do much to fix the transitions. I enjoyed it and thought it was fun but just not as complete as it should have been.

The final mission in IA was me saying "Finally, Batshit crazy that's starting to feel like EDF outside of 'shoot the anthills!'... Wait, that was the LAST MISSION!?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Invaders from Planet Space, how are you supposed to deal with Deroys on Hardest besides having at least 10,000 armor?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mr Phillby posted:

It was also a bad idea to set the game during 2017. They should have just invented their own invasion and let you actually win at the end instead of trying to tie themselves to an already flimsy continuity. I really didn't need the gap between 'The European front has fallen, the Mothership is headed for America!' and 'The Mothership is on it's way to Japan!' fleshed out.

I actually really liked that part of it. If you listen to the dialogue in 4.1 they mention the EDF in Detroit and other things that directly reference IA. It's nice that Sandlot kept it in the "canon."

Broseph Brostar posted:

Section Z posted:

The final mission in IA was me saying "Finally, Batshit crazy that's starting to feel like EDF outside of 'shoot the anthills!'... Wait, that was the LAST MISSION!?"

These two things made me feel that a lot was cut from the game and never rebalanced or fixed. The insane grind to level up or whatever would make sense if there were more levels and the final level felt like it was actually the start of the buildup to a big final level. I really wish there was a rundown or something about the production of IA because I want to know if I'm right about the huge cutting and stuff.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 9, 2016

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Need some help with mission 34 in EDF 2 on the vita.

I have cleared all the downward pointing cannons from the mothership, and am fighting wave after wave of ufo's it drops. It has that spinning pink ring at the bottom, but I can't seem to hit it. Normal difficulty, using a wing diver with Thunderbow, and Mirage 5. the mini map shows 2 targets above me at all times (when there isn't a wave of ufo's on the screen). My Mirage 5 goes towards the hatch where the ufo's come out of, but it doesn't hit anything. It just kinda floats there. If there a UFO trapped above the mothership or something?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's weird. If you had range to hit the cannon panels, you have range to hit the weakspot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd use an LRSL for the mothership, and a LAZR for the little ships.

It sounds like there's some weird glitch or janky design going on, where the lock-on point for homing missiles is floating in the middle of the mothership's hangar port, and your Mirage projectiles are too nimble to actually impact the sides of the port and do any damage so they just orbit around that point until they burn out.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 11, 2016

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yeah, assuming I hit a glitch on this one. Picked up so many armor and weapons, but if it never ends, not much point. Will restart it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's really not too huge a problem to leave some stuff behind unless it's an inferno mission or something. You can always redo it, or do earlier levels at higher difficulties for better stuff

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yup - was a glitch. Replayed it, and had no problems.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Didn't see this noted in the thread yet.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Mission Pack 2: Extreme Battle - FREE (for two weeks, presumably $9.99 regular price)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Free for 2 weeks because of the auto save bug. XSEED is awesome.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Free for 2 weeks because of the auto save bug. XSEED is awesome.
Ah, that explains it. Yeah that's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

gibbed posted:

Didn't see this noted in the thread yet.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Mission Pack 2: Extreme Battle - FREE (for two weeks, presumably $9.99 regular price)
It probably won't be free on the EU store because the official release is tomorrow. :argh:

:smug: 'Free DLC? Why? You arseholes aren't even supposed to be playing this yet. And we fixed this bug already.'

Doc Morbid posted:

Pretty much how I feel about Insect Armageddon. I really wanted to like the game, but it just never felt right and came across as a mediocre budget shooter with some amusing writing. I might have liked it better if it wasn't billed as an EDF game at all, because there was never any chance the Matt Hazard guys (or anyone, really) could replicate the feel of the Sandlot games.
Ditto. I'd be quite happy if they took the art assets and stuck them in a proper EDF game. Especially the player models. The rest, ehh~