Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Zaphod42 posted:

Could be worse, that was in '61.

Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights was in 2002 and features the worst Rob Schneider yellowface imaginable. Uggggggh.

Luckily there's nothing redeeming about that film so there's no reason to watch it.

Eight Crazy Nights was animated.....

Also isn't Rob Schneider Filipino?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

I thought it was that they didn't know it was the real deal until after the fact and then Tarantino loved that cut so much he used it?

This happened in Battlestar Galactica as well. One of the props in Edward James Olmos's cabin was an antique ship in a bottle. In one scene he improvised smashing it to pieces in a fit of rage only to find out once the cameras stopped rolling that it was worth around 8,000 dollars.

If the shot cost you that much to make you might as well use it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xenoletum posted:

It was but they animated an old Asian man who looks nothing like Schneider and then cast Schneider to do a really racist impression for the VO rather than just hire some Asian man.

Xenoletum posted:

His grandmother is. I'm not sure 1/4th Asian means you get a free card to do whatever you want.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Xenoletum posted:

Being half minority means you can go buck wild with the racism, it's ironic now, it's cool!
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/members/avatars/4/3/36754_170.jpg?1
this is the personal avatar of a conservative cartoonist who got pink-listed from marvel or darkhorse or whatever for his rants about gay people. I'm sorry imgur is being a dick and I can't rehost it for some reason.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Ridiculous 6 was uncomfortably racist as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Ridiculous 6 was uncomfortably racist as well.

That is the one where the Native Americans left the set since it was so racist?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I think my mom hid me from my dad's insane racist rants too well. I remember loving the crows in Dumbo because they, and the mouse, were the only ones to be NICE to the poor elephant. Sure they joked around but they never called him names or ignored him and even helped him! So clearly they were heroes. Finding out how racist they were was a nail in the childhood coffin.

Compared to the loving Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp that were clearly there to gently caress poo poo up. I think I watched the Aristocats once and never was that into it so I blanked out that lovely cat racist song.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

bobkatt013 posted:

That is the one where the Native Americans left the set since it was so racist?

It must be. Half the movie was just "Native American's have funny animal names" jokes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Krinkle posted:

Being half minority means you can go buck wild with the racism, it's ironic now, it's cool!
this is the personal avatar of a conservative cartoonist who got pink-listed from marvel or darkhorse or whatever for his rants about gay people. I'm sorry imgur is being a dick and I can't rehost it for some reason.

Dude is also, if I remember right, white as gently caress and lost all of his money trying to sell miracle water.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Krinkle posted:

Don't forget that he also uses the pen name "Hapajap".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dewgy posted:

Dude is also, if I remember right, white as gently caress and lost all of his money trying to sell miracle water.

He did indeed. He's also the guy who did a strip about Obama getting assassinated at his inauguration by laughing Secret Service agents then had a black character wake up and sigh because it was just a dream.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Just watched The Revenant the other day, great movie, though I dont think Di Caprio will be winning his oscar just yet for it.

My IIMM with it is the couple times they break the fourth wall by pulling the camera so close to his face that his breath would fog up the lens. It was completely unnecessary and just dragged my immersion away instantly the few times they did it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KozmoNaut posted:

Seriously?

Why even use a priceless ~150-year-old guitar for a goddamn movie?

I loved the movie, but Tarantino is one hell of an rear end in a top hat sometimes. Imagine if someone had found a perfectly preserved copy of the full cut of Metropolis and just set it on fire for the sake of a scene in a movie. He would have been absolutely livid and probably gone on some kind of rage-fueled murder spree. But nooo, it's perfectly fine to smash an old instrument, because "it's just a guitar".

Apparently they were going to get a separate shot of Russell smashing a replica after using the real guitar for the scene before it but Russel didn't get the memo and smashed it in the same take thinking it was one of the replicas.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

By why even use that guitar for the movie?

Why not just make a new guitar look old with a bit of prop-making magic, and not have to risk damaging a 150-year-old relic?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Who knows. Maybe the replicas were made to be more easily breakable and wouldn't sound good enough so they decided to use the real one for the take where she plays it or maybe someone just decided it would be cooler to have the real one in the movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

Who knows. Maybe the replicas were made to be more easily breakable and wouldn't sound good enough so they decided to use the real one for the take where she plays it or maybe someone just decided it would be cooler to have the real one in the movie.

It was an accident.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There's a scene in The Revenant that, I don't know, just bugged me but i admit its irrational.

When the Pawnee Indian is talking to the French and they use an interpreter, eventually the Native American gets frustrated and speaks directly to the trader, in French and the translator says "I told you he speaks French".

Ignoring that why did the Native American still use the interpreter if he understood (I figured he knew French just not confident enough to do a business transaction) the subtitle actually says "In French" when the native American speaks it. I felt that was an unneeded detail because you could just show it by having the trader have a shocked look on his face and then the translator going "I told you he speaks French"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just watched this Liam Neeson thriller A Walk Among the Tombstones and for some the movie is set in 1999 even though it adds absolutely nothing to the story.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I just watched this Liam Neeson thriller A Walk Among the Tombstones and for some the movie is set in 1999 even though it adds absolutely nothing to the story.

Like how The Wackness is set in 1994 just as an excuse to make references to 1994?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing that marks it as set in 99 is a couple of references to Y2K, which has nothing to do with the plot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sleeveless posted:

It was an accident.

:wth: They accidentally requisitioned a priceless guitar?!

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Parks and Rec has a lot of lines and even episodes about how fat the people and children of Pawnee are, but whenever there is a big town event, all the attendants are remarkably trim.

Gotta fatten up your actors, buddy. Breaking my immersion.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Whatev posted:

Parks and Rec has a lot of lines and even episodes about how fat the people and children of Pawnee are, but whenever there is a big town event, all the attendants are remarkably trim.

Gotta fatten up your actors, buddy. Breaking my immersion.

Well there's always Chris Pratt. The fatty.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
See, the real fat people are too fat to get out to the town meetings, which is why we don't see them. Either that, or they got distracted by Paunch Burger and didn't make it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Snapchat A Titty posted:

:wth: They accidentally requisitioned a priceless guitar?!

150-year-old guitars aren't likely to be priceless.

And, indeed, the Martin people admit they got the insurance money. "Irreplaceable" and "priceless" are not the same thing in the museum world.

I should say that I've been to the Martin museum and it's a pretty rinky-dink operation, though it's a fun tour.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 08:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Apparently they were going to get a separate shot of Russell smashing a replica after using the real guitar for the scene before it but Russel didn't get the memo and smashed it in the same take thinking it was one of the replicas.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sleeveless posted:

It was an accident.

This is all actually totally wrong.

What happened is Quentin Tarantino talked to the Martin Guitar Museum and got them to loan him an antique guitar for filming in the movie. They agreed.

They had the antique guitar on set for filming, and then they had 6 replica guitars on set for a smashing scene.

At the last moment before filming, Tarantino decided to use the museum piece instead of the replica for the smashing scene, because Tarantino is loving full of himself and decided it wouldn't be as authentic to his film. So he told Kurt Russell to go ahead and smash the one they were using in the previous scene without swapping, which got the other actors' on stage to react realistically, surprised that the scene didn't cut to swap guitars.

Then, and this is key, Tarantino told the Martin museum that during filming a light fixture fell on the guitar and broke it, and they said "ah, okay, poo poo happens, we knew there were risks when we agreed to this."

But then rumor got out to the Martin museum that Tarantino had done it on purpose and not on accident, and they issued a new press statement saying they felt deceived and would no longer loan out museum pieces for use in movies.

So Tarantino acting like a baby ruined it for all other filmmakers. And also needlessly destroyed a museum piece.

If the facts were a little different I might say whatever, but considering that's how it actually went down, I gotta side with the Martin museum and say that Tarantino was a huge dick here.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Any evidence though? Because their statement only refers to an accident, though it is sceptical in its tone

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Any evidence though? Because their statement only refers to an accident, though it is sceptical in its tone

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/02/kurt-russell-obliterated-a-priceless-antique-while-filming-the-hateful-eight

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

OK, let me just say I think QT is probably a gigantic pervy creepy nerd and total piece of poo poo, and I have no interest in defending him.

But your link doesn't support your claim at all.

The one relevant paragraph says

quote:

Apparently, though, everyone else on set had gotten the memo. “Everyone was pretty freaked out” when Kurt shattered the antique, says Ulano, and “when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s [horrified] reaction is genuine.” The only person who wasn’t horrified? Tarantino, of course. Tarantino lives for this. “Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance.”

Which is written almost deliberately to blur the lines between the author of the piece and the source of the quote (Ulano). And then even so, the only inculpatory part of the statement is "...[QT] got something out of the performance". Which could just mean that he caught a glimpse of Bruce Dern's feet and came in his pants or something. And I've never seen QT without a "funny curl on his lips", because he looks like a low-quality waxwork of Vegas-era Elvis.

Basically, I don't see anything in that link, or the articles linked therein, which says what you say. Really, I don't give too much of a poo poo, but I'm just not sure if I'm missing something

WeAreTheRomans has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Feb 8, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah you're missing something

quote:

Though Ulano characterizes the Martin Museum’s response as somewhat unsurprised and unperturbed (“Do you need another one and can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”), a new interview with museum director Boak in Reverb magazine paints a darker portrait. “We were informed that it was an accident on set,” Boak tells Reverb. “We assumed that a scaffolding or something fell on it.” Poor, sweet Dick Boak. He never saw it coming.

“We understand that things happen, but at the same time we can’t take this lightly,” added Boak, who says he had no idea how Tarantino was going to use the guitar in the first place, which, like, have you even seen Reservoir Dogs? Never trust Tarantino with anything precious, whether it’s human life or a delicate instrument. “All this about the guitar being smashed being written into the script and that somebody just didn’t tell the actor, this is all new information to us. We didn’t know anything about the script or Kurt Russell not being told that it was a priceless, irreplaceable artifact from the Martin Museum.”

I mean you could assume Dick Boak is just mistaken or full of poo poo or lying or something but he clearly believes there was some foul play.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Not sure why it's so hard to believe. "it was an accident, whoops" seems less plausible than "did it for authenticity" in this case. This is QT we're talking about.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you're missing something

I mean you could assume Dick Boak is just mistaken or full of poo poo or lying or something but he clearly believes there was some foul play.

I'm still not seeing it, honestly. The bit you bolded doesn't say anything about QT being responsible for anything. It just seems like Boak is saying he didn't know anything about the circumstances of the smashing, until he was informed that "smashing a guitar" was in the shooting script, and it wasn't just an accident unrelated to the script (like a light falling on it).

This is hurting my brain now. I'm starting to suspect you have an agenda when it comes to this, I'm just trying to apply logic.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Not sure why it's so hard to believe. "it was an accident, whoops" seems less plausible than "did it for authenticity" in this case. This is QT we're talking about.

They both seem kinda plausible to me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm just trying to apply logic.

This is your mistake

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AnonSpore posted:

This is your mistake

Yeah, starting to realise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is hurting my brain now. I'm starting to suspect you have an agenda when it comes to this, I'm just trying to apply logic.

:tinfoil: you might wanna talk to somebody about that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

:tinfoil: you might wanna talk to somebody about that.

Agenda like "you don't like Tarantino" I guess, not that you're part of the Great Hollywood Zionist conspiracy. Which is a thing, I seen it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It's at least slightly less horrible if he did it for the actor reactions and they are in the film vs just for "I want to film breaking a real antique".

Having not yet seen the film, do they have those reactions? Should the characters have them? It wouldn't have been an antique to the characters after all...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did feel like the reactions were a bit too shocked and panicky for the context of the scene, come to think of it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Agenda like "you don't like Tarantino" I guess, not that you're part of the Great Hollywood Zionist conspiracy. Which is a thing, I seen it.

Just don't argue with Zaphod42. He doesn't have an agenda, he's just really really spergy about certain things and you'll never convince him of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Murphy Brownback posted:

Just don't argue with Zaphod42. He doesn't have an agenda, he's just really really spergy about certain things and you'll never convince him of anything.

He knows a lot about game development. More than most people on this board. Love his posts about game developments.