Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

I did not know about ctrl shift esc. I feel like an idiot. This is the best discovery of the decade for me. Thank you goons.

Same, this is right up there with Win-Pause/Break!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have typed tye so many times by accident that the dictionary thinks its intentional. Is there any way to tell it it's not, short of resetting the user dictionary?

Edit: oh sorry, I guess this is the apps specific thread, not the general iOS thread.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Walt Mossberg wrote up a nice editorial on the declining state of Apple apps.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10900612/walt-mossberg-apple-iphone-ios-mac-osx-app-problems

I'm not trying to be oh ho Steve never would have let this happen, but I do feel Apple as a whole has lost some of it's focus and perfection in the last few years. If I tried to walk my mom through how to put a video on her iPhone which is something that happened recently it's nearly impossible. iTunes is miserable and unusable I feel, I still don't think there's a way to put custom ringtones easily on your phone besides using iTunes. I'm not sure how Photos and iCloud Photo Library interact, I have iTunes Match but how does that and Apple Music work together?

iOS as an OS seems to have stagnated a bit. The settings are bloated and hard to find what you are looking for. Even the iPhone itself seems to be treading water, lack of increased storage, the pursuit of an ever thinner device in sacrifice of battery, not willing to take chances in hardware design etc. I dunno, I really want to give Android another shot this year if the iPhone 7 and iOS X don't blow me away. I used a Galaxy S3 for a year when it first came out but went back to iOS pretty quickly.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
So many "can't do this without using iTunes" posts ITT. Just use the app that was specifically designed to do the thing with the device it was designed to do it for.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

beefnoodle posted:

So many "can't do this without using iTunes" posts ITT. Just use the app that was specifically designed to do the thing with the device it was designed to do it for.

The only reason I've ever used iTunes was to jailbreak or restore.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Even the iPhone itself seems to be treading water, lack of increased storage, the pursuit of an ever thinner device in sacrifice of battery, not willing to take chances in hardware design etc. I dunno, I really want to give Android another shot this year if the iPhone 7 and iOS X don't blow me away. I used a Galaxy S3 for a year when it first came out but went back to iOS pretty quickly.

What do you want them to do with the phone

They're well made, durable, get a visual refresh every two years, ???

Not trying to be an rear end, just curious what you would consider "taking a chance" in an era where most of our portable devices are just glass slabs

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The only reason I've ever used iTunes was to jailbreak or restore.

That's fine, you don't seem to be among the complainers.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Some of their points are spot on. All the posters comments about the iOS and OS and the apps for both are right.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

beefnoodle posted:

That's fine, you don't seem to be among the complainers.

I'm among the complainers. iTunes is bad software. I can manage my way around it now that I have a current-line workstation, but when I was using older Apple hardware iTunes would spend more time unresponsive than not. I don't expect older computers to run blazingly fast or anything, but I do expect them to be able to communicate with the phone without crashing in the middle of a sync. The users I most interact with think hanging and crashing are the same thing, and iTunes is just as likely to do either on older hardware--which leads to users needing external support more often than not just to get a ringtone onto their phone. Not every user who finds something they don't know how to do has the knowledge to find the solution to their problem on the internet and/or the time to spend on the phone with support, so we're talking about lowered consumer satisfaction.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Vanellope posted:

Have you tried Spark? It's really nice.

Didn't know there was an iOS version of Airmail. Will have to check it out now.

I tried Spark but found it was really slow at synching (or failed to update at all) and a little too overdone with the gimmicks. Might give it another go but I really wanted to go back to something simple like Mailbox.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Same, I tried Spark and it was very delayed in syncing.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I try almost all the mail clients and I can't get hardly any of them to work with my companies exchange server policy. Boxer does but annoyingly has me enter a pin on top of the pin I already enter to get in my phone. If they could Touch ID that we would be in business.

I assume it's all because Apple won't allow third party email clients to install certificates or enforce security (guess that makes sense) but drat it I hate mail.

Side note: why do all email clients- even paid ones- think it's okay to put advertisements for their product in my default email signature?

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 4, 2016

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I hate iTunes as much as the next person but when it comes to poo poo like transferring ringtones from your computer to your phone, it really is as simple as could possibly be. You literally just add the ringtone to your iTunes library, and set your phone to sync ringtones. Like, are y'all really struggling with this?

I agree iTunes should ideally be stripped down to just a music player with a separate app for iPhone management, but it does everything it's supposed to do. Aside from the aesthetic and philosophical annoyance with having to use a music player to sync stuff between your computer and your phone, is there anything about the actual function that y'all are mad about?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 4, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish iTunes was a person so I could stab it to death.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

dik-dik posted:

I hate iTunes as much as the next person but when it comes to poo poo like transferring ringtones from your computer to your phone, it really is as simple as could possibly be. You literally just add the ringtone to your iTunes library, and set your phone to sync ringtones. Like, are y'all really struggling with this?

I don't really think I should have to use iTunes to get a new ringtone at all. On Android, I could just do it straight from any music app. Just hit the menu and tap "set as ringtone". Done.

I don't really miss Android but there are some things that it does better than iOS and not requiring any special software to transfer files/get new ringtones/whatever is definitely one of them. I could just plug my phone into any computer and drag and drop any files I wanted to/from my phone. Done.

Edit: also it didn't delete my music library if I plugged my phone into a new computer. iTunes won't let me sync my music or anything at all if it's plugged into a new computer. It wants to wipe my music library or it won't sync. That's really loving annoying.

Vanellope fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 4, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can absolutely sync from different computers without wiping your music. You can't sync music from different computers without wiping your music because what do you think "sync" means?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dik-dik posted:

I agree iTunes should ideally be stripped down to just a music player with a separate app for iPhone management, but it does everything it's supposed to do. Aside from the aesthetic and philosophical annoyance with having to use a music player to sync stuff between your computer and your phone, is there anything about the actual function that y'all are mad about?

My dad is dead and I saved the last voicemails he left me from visual voicemail to the voice memos app. I synced my phone to a new iTunes library one time and pressed "ok" a few times without reading anything and all of a sudden my my voice memos were saved into my iTunes library and why the gently caress would I want to play shuffle all music and have a god drat voice memo start playing, much less a personal one of my dead dad? I looked forever (like 5-10 minutes) for a way to get rid of my voice memos from iTunes but I couldn't figure out a way and I didn't want to try simply deleting the voice memos because what if deleting them actually deleted them from my phone which is you know not what I want. Besides I don't think they were delectable anyway. From what I remember there's an option I can check to not sync voice memos but from what I remember this wasn't retroactive and these voice memos are still on my computer in my god drat iTunes library.

Like is that a valid complaint for iTunes for you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's a reasonable expectation that plugging your device into a new computer and hitting sync will pull everything off the device and save it locally. iTunes has never once in its history allowed you to do this so I think we're all used to it, but it's still loving stupid.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dik-dik posted:

Yes. The biggest problem is it doesn't always do what it's supposed to do. It runs like poo poo on older hardware, becoming unresponsive and (sometimes) crashing, with no way for the (average) user to know which is happening. These lockups often lead to the connection with the device being dropped, which means sync fails, which means you try again and hope it doesn't crash again. Older hardware being slower to run iTunes is fine, but not successfully performing iTunes operations (even slowly) is inexcusable. The only reason the better hardware is necessitated is the iTunes cruft--my music library is still mp3/mp4 as it was a decade ago, it's still between 10k and 15k songs as it was a decade ago, and it still only needs to perform the basic backup and sync functions with the iPhone that it did 9 years ago. Does the computer support USB2? Does the iPhone support USB2 via Lightning? That's all a user should have to care about.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
iTunes sucks but it's not nearly as bad as the stuff you guys are doing to avoid using it so you can have, of all things, ringtones. Like, android for ringtones? Wtf?

And that whole voice memo of your dad thing is nerve wracking but why haven't you exported it and saved it to like three cloud services? A voice memo can be backed up, sure, but you have no revision history support with iCloud so it's not a great option for priceless, irreplaceable stuff that you might not notice deleting for weeks after it was lost.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Vanellope posted:

I don't really think I should have to use iTunes to get a new ringtone at all. On Android, I could just do it straight from any music app. Just hit the menu and tap "set as ringtone". Done.

Which phones are you talking about? I've owned two android phones (Nexus 4, HTC One M8), and as of November when I switched to iPhone, neither of them allowed me to set a song as a ringtone without a 3rd party app.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry about your dad :(

I've synced voice memos with iTunes before (and just made one again to try it) and they've always had the "Skip when shuffling" option checked by default. Maybe that's a relatively new feature?

Kaizoku posted:

It runs like poo poo on older hardware, becoming unresponsive and (sometimes) crashing, with no way for the (average) user to know which is happening.

How old are you talking? It still runs fine on my 2007 MacBook Pro with my 12K song library

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 4, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dik-dik posted:

How old are you talking? It still runs fine on my 2007 MacBook Pro with my 12K song library

'09 iMac is where my personal library is relevant, but I've seen these issues in up to 2012 hardware on OS X. FWIW, I don't see these same issues on Windows hardware from the same time period unless it's low-spec like a netbook. The iMac isn't my primary machine or anything, but doing the poo poo support work I currently do, I see users with that issue often enough to think it bullshit.

There are plenty of other problems with iTunes, but simply making two separate applications would solve a lot of those issues.

-----

As for ringtones being frivolous, sure, for sake of argument, let's say they are in every circumstance frivolous; that doesn't change that it's what many users consider a basic aspect of a cell phone, and while you can download an alternative music player that pulls from the cloud or dropbox or w/e to use in place of Music on the phone, there is no such replacement for ringtones that doesn't require the user to interact with iTunes on a computer.

But really, gently caress it, if I could go a week without having to reinstall some application on my iPhone because it disappeared/got stuck updating I'd call it a good week at this point. I'm able to negotiate myself down to that being a victory.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Goodreader is getting a big update with a different UI soon.

I don't know if I feel excited or worried. I kind of hope they just troll us and go full command line.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Goodreader is getting a big update with a different UI soon.

I don't know if I feel excited or worried. I kind of hope they just troll us and go full command line.

It's basically ranger with a gui and every viewing plugin at this point. I'm okay with that idea.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I always found the argument that Apple has 'lost it's way' with regard to ease of use to be a bit suspect, because they rarely state the obvious fact: technology has become necessarily more complex with vastly more features over time. There is a demand for simplicity and there is also a demand for features. This is a difficult channel to navigate, and often I will hear people say "there are now submenus in the Settings on an iPhone!" as if there is any way to avoid such a thing. The author whines about cloud integration, despite it working very well for most people on most devices, and states it adds unnecessary complexity to the experience of working with Apple devices and software. This kind of argument is absurd because if Apple didn't offer this service, they would be lampooned.

The author and others bring up the positive features of certain non-Apple applications/software as evidence that Apple is bad, without discussing why those programs aren't ideal even versus non-Apple applications. For example, many people aren't ready to trust Outlook to sort their e-mails by importance and still check all tabs of their email multiple times daily. So why is this such an amazing feature? Just for existing? I still check my spam folder daily, and spam filtering is in fact a form of filtering he describes. To me, I am even less trusting of an application or software to determine if my emails are priorities or not. If in fact users are checking all tabs regularly throughout the day, then all these tabs and filtering do is add unnecessary layers and complexity to the experience of e-mail. This same argument can be applied to several other things he and others bring up.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 5, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People on the internet love to poo poo on Apple.

This has, unfortunately, translated to people IRL making GBS threads on Apple.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
People are incapable of recognizing use cases which exist beyond their own. They're also incapable of recognizing that their spergy workflows using 3rd party apps are and never will be used by normal people who just want to check and respond to the 5 emails they get a day and play Candy Crush.

Though to be fair, there've been some pretty buggy and lovely releases of Apple software recently. (I'm looking @ you, Apple Music)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Boris Galerkin posted:

My dad is dead and I saved the last voicemails he left me from visual voicemail to the voice memos app. I synced my phone to a new iTunes library one time and pressed "ok" a few times without reading anything and all of a sudden my my voice memos were saved into my iTunes library and why the gently caress would I want to play shuffle all music and have a god drat voice memo start playing, much less a personal one of my dead dad? I looked forever (like 5-10 minutes) for a way to get rid of my voice memos from iTunes but I couldn't figure out a way and I didn't want to try simply deleting the voice memos because what if deleting them actually deleted them from my phone which is you know not what I want. Besides I don't think they were delectable anyway. From what I remember there's an option I can check to not sync voice memos but from what I remember this wasn't retroactive and these voice memos are still on my computer in my god drat iTunes library.

No. You don't know how to use iTunes, I fail to see how that is iTunes fault.

How hard is it to right click on the voice memo, click on Show in Finder or Explorer, drag the file to where you want, then removing the voice memo from iTunes? It's not hard. And you couldn't figure it out.

decypher fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 5, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

maduin posted:

People are incapable of recognizing use cases which exist beyond their own. They're also incapable of recognizing that their spergy workflows using 3rd party apps are and never will be used by normal people who just want to check and respond to the 5 emails they get a day and play Candy Crush.

To be fair I think some of the bigger criticisms of apple lately is they've lost that craft of dumbing things down and making things simple, as the need for more and more features grows.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

The Dave posted:

To be fair I think some of the bigger criticisms of apple lately is they've lost that craft of dumbing things down and making things simple, as the need for more and more features grows.

This is true, but I think it's also true that the need for more features is unique to at least moderately 'pro' users. I think of my friends and colleagues (primarily grad. students & English professors), my wife, our families, my students (first/second-year college students) etc., and they seem happy with what they have re: feature sets. Where I see the real issues existing for regular users is with stuff like iCloud sync -- losing notes or missing contacts is a big and noticeable problem for everyone.

I actually agree with you completely re: simplicity and feature growth, I just think a lot of the arguments about Apple's software quality ignore the way most people (not tech journalists/people reading The Verge/Daring Fireball/people listening to ATP) use their devices, which from what I can tell is to Snapchat a bunch of random selfies, post pictures of their cat on Instagram, text their friends, and check Facebook.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Unrelated, but I got my mom an Ipad Air 2 for Christmas last year and it is her first internet connected device ever. The other day she asked me if she could "ask Siri too many things" and I got a good laugh out of it. She's also 100% dependent on using siri to do anything outside of playing Candy Crush and Words with Friends. She doesn't realize Safari = Internet.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Apple really hosed up iCloud backups on the iPhone 6s

I mean this here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7252301?tstart=0

I had the same problem. Switched from my 6s to another phone for a few weeks then got another 6s and tried to restore from the latest backup. There was all sorts of weird behavior. Photos and messages missing, apps crashing etc

I had to use my last iPhone 6 backup from September. Not too much of a hassle but still annoying. Especially if you only rely on iCloud for backups.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Best mindfulness app?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What's a mindfulness app?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Mindfulness is a form of meditation, usually without all the spiritual woo-woo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Best mindfulness app?

I tried a bunch of them and I like buddhify. There are a lot of contextual meditations that I find pleasant and easy to listen to, including sleeping, coming down from stress, walking around, quick breaks, or just quiet meditation. The cost is all up front too -- there are no subscription fees or anything like that after the fact. The design is cool, colourful and functional. There really isn't a lot of teaching to the app, just guided meditations. I've never delved into the stats pages because I don't much care about them, so I can't speak to that side of the app.

I know a lot of people think having an app for mindfulness defeats the point and there is probably something to that, but whatever. I like having a 15 minute break from life and having a calm voice to encourage and talk me through it. It helps keep me in the moment since I'm not very good at doing it on my own yet. And yes, I recognize the irony there.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I use calm. Used the first version of Buddhify on my 3GS but never bought the second one.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Calm's the best if you ask me. Very minimal, easy to use and relaxing. Helps me clear my mind on days where I feel overwhelmed.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Best mindfulness app?

I like headspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

+1 for buddhify. I like that the meditations are geared specifically towards what I'm doing at the moment, and I've learned some good techniques that I use in my daily life now. It also seems to be geared towards developing mindfulness meditation as a regular part of your daily life so that eventually you won't really need to use the app anymore if you don't want to, which is pretty cool.