Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car has a MAP sensor not a MAF. Pretty common "mod" for my car.

This. MAP based systems can take a lot of fuckery on the intake without issue. Did the same "mod" to my Veloster, although finding a 1" cap/plug is a pain in the rear end.

MAF based systems are no fun in comparison :( (although technically better)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Now I'm tempted to put one of those in my Crown Vic. Because.

kastein posted:

If you don't put a duck call on that BOV you are doing it wrong SAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbUMXZvfi8

The first time I saw that video I nearly killed myself laughing.
Then I realized that you could do the same thing with the business end of a whoopie cushion.
One day, I will have a turbocharged car. And it will make farty noises. I'm enough of a nerd that I would put in a solenoid diverter valve to make it selective.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Darchangel posted:

One day, I will have a turbocharged car. And it will make farty noises.

Put it on your wastegate outlet.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Bajaha posted:

This. MAP based systems can take a lot of fuckery on the intake without issue. Did the same "mod" to my Veloster, although finding a 1" cap/plug is a pain in the rear end.

I went to CVS and bought a 1" diameter rubber tip for a walking cane. Fits like a boss.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

Now I'm tempted to put one of those in my Crown Vic. Because.

The first time I saw that video I nearly killed myself laughing.
Then I realized that you could do the same thing with the business end of a whoopie cushion.
One day, I will have a turbocharged car. And it will make farty noises. I'm enough of a nerd that I would put in a solenoid diverter valve to make it selective.

Use a piece of bicycle inner tube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOspDFhTxsQ
This one's better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HejHNaNqhLw

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Bajaha posted:

I put a much larger turbo in MY SKYLINE and the MAF lost its poo poo (even after a tune) because of the negative pressure when the turbo spooled down. In the end, the MAF was just moved further away from the turbo and the problem was solved.

This week it the car gets a new gearbox (I cooked the current one on a road trip out west in 40*C heat) and a stage 2 shift kit/valvebody from MV Automatics. I'll post a before and after video if everything goes well but nothing ever fuckin' does with this car...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car has a MAP sensor not a MAF. Pretty common "mod" for my car.

Fair enough. Having calibrated OEM air sensors (MAF and MAP) has made me never want to make changes to the intake tract on any turbo car, ever.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I replaced the spark plugs and swapped the drivers LED tail light with the stock incandescent one since the LED one died.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Finally got around to fixing the slow coolant leak from the thermostat housing and replaced the thermostat with the correct one. I also spent some time playing with some of the custom tunes on the DiabloSport before setting it back to stock for the remainder of the winter season. I've got some homework to do before trying any more of it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I helped a friend install a cold air intake on his eclipse. The main reason he wanted to do this is because it free'd up a ton of room under the hood for us to actually get to things on the driver's side of the engine bay when poo poo breaks. It was easy as poo poo to set up, gave us access to the tranny dipstick so he doesn't have to move the airbox over to get to it anymore and we figured it would make some good noises along the way. We were very right about the good noises.

Basically everything from the battery to the radiator beside the motor was taken up by a stupidly huge airbox. Now he has all this room:

And even better, it sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWY2mvJMDv4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9ReWq-uc4

Its so silly and ricey, but I can't help but laugh my rear end off and my friend is loving it. All in all, $130 well spent. (btw, when the gently caress did newegg start selling car parts?) We've also decided it needs exhaust, but can't decide how far to go with it, only that it needs to be no louder than it is now. Deeper yes, louder no.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

(btw, when the gently caress did newegg start selling car parts?)

A few years ago they started aping the amazon marketplace, where you can buy stuff from third parties through their platform. I assume that's what you mean, since there's all kinds of random poo poo on there. Car stuff, house stuff, clothing, you name it.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Fresh steamrollers for the G8. Falken FK453. They don't last long, but they're not too bad on price considering they were bought local.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

A few years ago they started aping the amazon marketplace, where you can buy stuff from third parties through their platform. I assume that's what you mean, since there's all kinds of random poo poo on there. Car stuff, house stuff, clothing, you name it.

Hunh. It turned out to have the intake he wanted for cheaper than anyone else around, including amazon. I can't imagine what their returns policy is like with this random poo poo though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Still my all time favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieJUP9O9RG8

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
Put new wheels on it! Please excuse the crappy weather cell phone pictures

Old and busted painted 84 vette wheels

New hotness

Posted an ad on craigslist the other day hoping to find some factory 4th gen fbody wheels. A local guy responded almost immediately and met with me today. He turned out to be one of the nicest people I've ever met. He was a retired Elvis impersonator and loved 4th gens/muscle cars in general. Told me all sorts of awesome stories about the cool old cars he's owned and was really interested in where I wanted to take my own car. He even gave me his card and hopes I'll stay in touch with him if I need any extra parts. Random old car dudes are the best :)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
My odometer did a thing.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I planned to bleed the rear brakes, but then . . . the bleed screw folded like a cheap whore.

Now, waiting for new cylinders to replace the possibly 50-year-old brakes in there, I got to play with a new toy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tamir Lenk posted:

Now, waiting for new cylinders to replace the possibly 50-year-old brakes in there, I got to play with a new toy.

I need to get myself a parts cleaner. Cleaning in a bucket or tub works, but...

I polished one of the headlights on my wife's Kia. The left one had been replaced due to an accident, making the right one, which was original 2008 and sad in the first place, look even sadder:

It was bad enough to need the little 4-step sanding kit included in the Meguire's kit. This is after just the first pass of polish:

You can see the crunchy bits on the top right, and along the bottom.There's a little over by the bullet light on the left, too, obscured by the glare.

After the four grades of wet super-fine sandpaper, I polished just the center to show the contrast:

Finishing the polish, we have this:

Still a tad fuzzy compared to the new one, made to appear worse by the glare from the setting sun on that side, but acceptable.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Threw out, organized, and moved enough of my poo poo to be able to park one of the cars in the goddamn garage for the first time since moving into this house 13 months ago. Granted, it was the smallest one... But it's also the only convertible, so it will be nice to not leave it out in the rain during the rest of the wet season.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Weight reduction on the Protege. One of these things was annoying, the rest were the indirect result of a sudden trunk full of gasoline from a leaky can. Also polished the headlights on it since they were getting a bit hazy. Sorry, no pic but imagine a Mazda Protege with normal headlights.

Drove the Corvette and the high school kids on the bus in front of me were losing their minds. Made me grin. One even held up a sign out the back window that said "ROMP IT"

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Replaced the blower motor in my E90. It had that lovely worn/rusty bearing squeal that slowly drives you insane on the drive to work. Turns out, you only need one tool for this job - a Torx 20. Remove passenger lower dash panel, held in by two screws. Rotate, jiggle, pull, jiggle, and BAM.

Hey look, it's rusty. Moved the resistor pack over to the new one, using the aforementioned T20. New one is nice and quiet. Not bad for $100 and 30 minutes. Only four screws! German engineering is getting lax. Also did new wiper blades because the chatter is also a terrible noise.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Cleaned out the spark plug bores in preparation for the valve cover gasket on the 325:

#6 was the only really bad one:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Ladies and gentlemen, this is that a free 7.3 looks like:

Moved it over by the garage and now I'm waiting on a big box of everything rubber to come in the mail. Should be here by next week. I 'm really hoping to be driving this thing in the spring.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Wrapped up a 3 month build on our project 1993 Miata. Its running nice, but our alignment is very very off.

Went to start it, and it wouldn't start. Then we realized we had the feed/return lines reversed on the fuel rail. Fired right up. Set the timing @10 degrees. Noticed the gas gauge wasn't working and was reading entirely empty, decided to figure it out later. Took it for a drive around the block and promptly ran out of gas.

The gauge was right =/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll take "Things your Miata and the Blasphemi have in common" for $500.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Finally got around to wiring up my fog lights properly on the Celica. Now time to actually go in the garage to work on my MR2...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Nice Toyotas :)

Content: My overly complicated and ultra-rare serpentine belt tensioner got stuck, and was causing some belt slippage. I WD40'd the poo poo out of it and wiggled it with a breaker bar until it moved again. Now my tensioner works.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

MasonF posted:

Finally got around to wiring up my fog lights properly on the Celica. Now time to actually go in the garage to work on my MR2...

Dat Celica!!! :sbahj:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

After becoming gainfully employed again, I decided it was time to tear the Corvair motor, diff, and transmission apart in order to reseal them. As I could now afford the roughly $800 or so in parts I was going to need to get the engine back in the car fully sealed up. I started off by trying out an old timers trick on the head studs, candle wax!

I heated the nuts up and stuck a chunk of old beeswax candle against the joint, and sure enough the wax wicked right in. It was pretty cool!

A lot more parts came off, and I took a look under the valve cover to see this.One of these things is not like the other.

Luckily, it looks like it was just a replacement lock nut from a later year engine, probably to replace a cracked rocker.
I also found out I have a fancy shmansy bolted flywheel. Those are about 245+85 core, so I was pretty chuffed about it.

And, I found out why my bellhousing was full of oily grit.

Guess I am resealing the bolts and that crank seal, but it looks like it was mostly the bolts.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My ride got owned by my apartment's garage door

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pressed in some new control arm bushings on the V70. I hope they fix the weird popping in the front end. Alignment tomorrow hopefully.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Used a hand vacuum pump to flush the brakes in the E39. Not thrilled with it, I think I was sucking in air from the bleeder threads. Worked okay, but I'm still looking for a good way to do brake fluid.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

meatpimp posted:

Used a hand vacuum pump to flush the brakes in the E39. Not thrilled with it, I think I was sucking in air from the bleeder threads. Worked okay, but I'm still looking for a good way to do brake fluid.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

specifically, http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Black-Label-European-Bleeder-0109_p_101.html

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I use one of these at work often and holy poo poo is it amazing. You just need a compressor but it is one of the easiest ways to bleed brakes by yourself. I have used it on many different types of cars and only had a problem once when the master was leaking into the booster. And only found out once I noticed the underside of the master was soaked. gently caress you chevy equinox.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've got one on the shelf and it's been nothing but a pain in the rear end when I've used it. From the cap not fitting properly to the hose getting a pinhole and spraying brake fluid everywhere to the gauge face coming loose and falling off inside the gauge... it's just been poo poo for me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I hosed around trying to get a hand vacuum pump to do anything other than suck air and gave up.

Speed bleeders have been flawless for me. I still do it with a helper pumping the pedal just so I can watch the progress, but they have never failed me, I've installed them in 4 cars now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RIP Paul Walker posted:

My ride got owned by my apartment's garage door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeUvyVwuTxw

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I headbutted the driver side glass. I got my aircon fixed yesterday and while parking today I went to stick my head out the window and pretty much brained myself.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tobu posted:

I headbutted the driver side glass. I got my aircon fixed yesterday and while parking today I went to stick my head out the window and pretty much brained myself.

I did that once years ago while miserably sick (and mentally foggy as a result) and driving Sandbagger and ACEofsnett to Maine in the middle of the night. Went to hock a loogie out the window and WHAM, glass to the face.

They still haven't let me forget about it. At least it's funny now, it was very unfunny at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Dunked my diff in Evapo Rust to nuke the corrosion inside from a leaking top cover gasket.

Masked, bead blasted, and painted the interior with Glyptal enamel. No real benefit here as far as I know, but it sure looks cool.

After that it was time to fix something the factory omitted 50 years ago when it made this part.

Facing off the boss that was obviously meant for a drain plug. I was super happy with how fantastically this old cast machines.

Enjoy the potato picture of the 1/2 - 20 drain plug I added.

I then took an electric die grinder to the casting flash that presented a bevy of knife edges to grab when handling this brick.

I remasked it and popped it into the bead blasting cabinet, followed by a good wipe with acetone. Sorry for potato-pic two.

I finished it off with a good slathering of Macropoxy paint on the exterior and Glyptal on the bellhousing side.

I used the side adjusters to mask off the bores, I have new adjusters and yolks on the way. At 13 bucks a pop for NOS parts, it was a no brainer. Especially since the part of the shaft that the adjuster seal rides on had a nice, deep groove in it that would keep new seals from doing anything to keep the gear oil in. Speedi Sleeves were about $30 or more each, so new parts made a lot of sense. Along with those, O rings, and shaft seals I ordered a new throwout bearing shaft machined from bar stock to replace the suspect cast unit on this one. I also found all the bearings on Amazon for 50 bux less than the Corvair supplier wanted. I am going to have one shiny diff here in a week or two! Can't wait to stuff it under the car and never have to worry about it again.