Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

haha Shuhei should have just ID'd now he has to play the match again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming

Alaan posted:

T8
1: Shuhei nakamura CFB Eldrazi
2: ivan floch CFB Eldrazi
3: Andrew Brown ?
4: LSV CFB Eldrazi
5: Pascal Maynard Affinity
6: Patrick Dickman ?
7: Frank Lepore Sultai Eldrazi
8: JC Tao UR Eldrazi

Andrew Brown is also playing UR Eldrazi, same build as JC Tao I think.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
LSV just left Marshall hangin for a high five, savage

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

LSV and Kibler are literally the only guys I think seem like they're good dudes, really.

Kibler is an absolutely loving annoying human being and a completely obnoxious gently caress. I'm glad he's off playing poo poo games for poo poo people.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I appreciate you having very similar streamer opinions Mikujin

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Flash Gordon posted:

Andrew Brown is also playing UR Eldrazi, same build as JC Tao I think.

Yep I was wrong, it's actually

Shuhei Nakamura (Eldrazi)
Ivan Floch (Chalice Eldrazi)
Andrew Brown (UR Eldrazi)
LSV (Chalice Eldrazi)
Pascal Maynard (Affinity)
Patrick Dickmann (Affinity)
Frank Lepore (UB Eldrazi)
JC Tao (UR Eldrazi)

So 2 affinity and no infect

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alaan posted:

T8
3: Andrew Brown UR Eldrazi

Dickmann is on Affinity I think is what he said.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

rabidsquid posted:

I agree entirely with you on this. Brian Kibler is obnoxious.

Also, 6 eldrazi decks, 2 affinity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alaan posted:

T8
3: Andrew Brown UR Eldrazi

This top 8 is probably actually a microcosm for the next 6 months of Modern but right now it's the coolest thing ever

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This top 8 is probably actually a microcosm for the next 6 months of Modern but right now it's the coolest thing ever

Eye of Ugin is not going to survive past the B&R for SOI. They are not going to let that deck move through Modern PTQ season.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

rabidsquid posted:

My opinions on Kibler are founded in IRL interactions with him. I know he's off playing Hearthstone or some other lovely game now, and those people loving deserve him.

Also really happy Cheon didn't make top 8. I know some people like him but the dude is about as exciting as Melba toast and literally every time I've seen him on a stream he just acts like his kid is a huge loving hassle. Just another complete oblivious human who plays magic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikujin posted:

My opinions on Kibler are founded in IRL interactions with him. I know he's off playing Hearthstone or some other lovely game now, and those people loving deserve him.

Also really happy Cheon didn't make top 8. I know some people like him but the dude is about as exciting as Melba toast and literally every time I've seen him on a stream he just acts like his kid is a huge loving hassle. Just another complete oblivious human who plays magic.

I've met him in passing and he seemed like a nice enough guy when he wasn't bitching about MODO.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mikujin posted:

Well also Caleb Durward is a somewhat deep cut, I know he puts out content on CFB but he doesn't get enough credit for having a good attitude and being chill.

Also I never met Kibler irl but I've found him really annoying since he was pushing that awful game Solforge so hard. Which he wouldn't even play since it was obviously bad.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Angry Grimace posted:

Eye of Ugin is not going to survive past the B&R for SOI. They are not going to let that deck move through Modern PTQ season.

It shouldn't be banned. If tron lands aren't banned Eye of Eugene should be fine.

It's also not that difficult to take down, there is a lot of land hate in modern. In fact it just makes side boarding for everyone else easier because tron and Eldrazi hate is pretty similar.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Mikujin posted:

Nominee for most correct post

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Comparing Eye of Ugin to Tron is uhhhhh really loose. There are multiple ways to disrupt Tron which takes several turns to assemble, versus a land that just knocks 2 colorless off of every single creature spell you cast and also tutors.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

I've met him in passing and he seemed like a nice enough guy when he wasn't bitching about MODO.
I got to play against Kibler and then end up near him a bunch while spectating in a GP (I made D2 and Kibler didn't :smuggo:) and he is an insufferable human being. Like, he might seem a cheery fellow in passing but interact with him for more than like 5 minutes at a time and you'll realize he's just another huge MTG Manchild who shouldn't be let out without supervision.

rabidsquid posted:

Well also Caleb Durward is a somewhat deep cut, I know he puts out content on CFB but he doesn't get enough credit for having a good attitude and being chill.
Yea I watch Durward's stream whenever it's up because he's super chill. I've ended up chatting with him on stream a bunch about all sorts of random stuff.

Really excited to see how fast Eye of Ugin and/or Eldrazi Temple eat modern bans.

E:

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Nominee for most correct post
:blush:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Niton posted:

Frank Lepore appears to have done it? I really hope so, dude owns.

I'll join in the Frank excitement. Him and LSV are probably my favorite magic personalities, so this is the first top 8 I actually am sort of interested in. Plus it's the dude's first ever pro tour, he's not part of any team, and did minimal testing.

Also 6/8 decks being Eldrazi means something in that deck is eating a ban before the year is over.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

Comparing Eye of Ugin to Tron is uhhhhh really loose. There are multiple ways to disrupt Tron which takes several turns to assemble, versus a land that just knocks 2 colorless off of every single creature spell you cast and also tutors.

Eye of Ugin is basically Mishra's Workshop if they hadn't printed any good artifacts until just now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm sure that Eye of Ugin is now on the watch list, but we need at least some GPs and SCG Opens before going bugfuck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you think they're going to do anything but let this slide for way too long you're nuts. This is going to sell so many packs. Eye isn't going to be touched for awhile.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fish Of Doom posted:

Also 6/8 decks being Eldrazi means something in that deck is eating a ban before the year is over.
Give it a few GPs. If people are actually prepared for it it could prove susceptible to hate. Expect a lot of ghost quarters and fulminator mages in the near future. And if it's really dominant, Disdainful stroke becomes a good card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaan posted:

I'm sure that Eye of Ugin is now on the watch list, but we need at least some GPs and SCG Opens before going bugfuck.

There are 6 of them in the Top 8 and they had a day 2 conversion percentage of like 75% - they're eating bans almost immediately. I highly doubt they are going to "give it a few GPs."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jesus christ they aren't going to ban it just based on one PT result.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Isn't the deck actually really soft to Spreading Seas

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mikujin posted:

Agreed. There's a reason I don't play MTGO when I'm home alone with my daughter; she wants attention and it's not even close which is more important.

He also plays terribly. I've given up watching his CFB videos after he played Jund and gave a game to burn for absolutely no reason. Like his reasoning was "well the only way I lose this game is if I tap out and my opponent draws a 4 point burn spell. My opponent is dead on board with no outs regardless of what he draws if I don't tap out. I'm going to tap out and do this thing that does absolutely nothing to help me win." Then his opponent drew Boros Charm and he died.

rabidsquid posted:

Caleb is the only person I can think of who deals with extremely tilting situations better than LSV.

Edit: Frank Lepore is terrible.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It might be closer to Jeskai Ascendancy yet, the format might just shift around to deal with it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

sarmhan posted:

No, but the PT results are going to put it under a spotlight for a while and if modern results over the next few months show similar results then don't be surprised.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is no way they're going to do anything to slow down the Eldrazi decks while they will still sell Standard packs.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
This hand's gonna win it all this sunday:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sarmhan posted:

They've shown before they're willing to ban obviously busted interactions like when Cruise and Dig were legal. Ian Duke even said that the Eye/Temple thing was busted on camera.

I'll give $20 to cancer research if nothing in this deck is banned in SOI's B&R announcement.

rabidsquid posted:

There is no way they're going to do anything to slow down the Eldrazi decks while they will still sell Standard packs.
Cruise and Dig didn't even make it to one PT and they banned Pod because Siege Rhino turned Pod into a monster.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

Caleb is the only person I can think of who deals with extremely tilting situations better than LSV.

Insane opponent top deck? *Caleb Durward laugh*

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

rabidsquid posted:

If you think they're going to do anything but let this slide for way too long you're nuts. This is going to sell so many packs. Eye isn't going to be touched for awhile.

This guy gets it.

People hated Battle for Zendikar, the only thing saving the set was people thinking to pair it with Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple. No way will they ban either card out when they still have packs to sell.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

There are 6 of them in the Top 8 and they had a day 2 conversion percentage of like 75% - they're eating bans almost immediately. I highly doubt they are going to "give it a few GPs."

PT T8's are terrible judges of formats. They are almost all way off what the actual meta game of a given format is. Like, I would not be surprised in the least if it eats a ban in the next year, but I WOULD be if it does in the next 3 months.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

Insane opponent top deck? *Caleb Durward laugh*

Opponent draws the perfect card 3 turns in a row. *chuckle* "All right man, you got me."

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

suicidesteve posted:

This is precisely why he's the best streamer. I've never seen him even approach tangential salty-ness, even in scenarios where it would be 100% justified. Dude is permanently cheery and laughing about stuff, even horrific beats. My favorite recent moment was him doing some cube videos where his opponent F6'd his T1 so he missed a land drop, and Caleb went ahead and F6'd his own turn so the guy wouldn't be behind, just because "winning this way isn't what making these videos is about".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

black potus posted:

This hand's gonna win it all this sunday:

I'm gonna be honest with you, that hand is pure gasoline.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Alaan posted:

PT T8's are terrible judges of formats. They are almost all way off what the actual meta game of a given format is. Like, I would not be surprised in the least if it eats a ban in the next year, but I WOULD be if it does in the next 3 months.

It is just one PT and overreacting to one is a bit silly, but LSV also said this was deck was basically Cawblade power level and I wouldn't take that sort of statement lightly. Also that Meddling Mage tweet earlier. And just looking at how strong Eye of Ugin is in the deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaan posted:

The problem isn't even how oppressive it is (it is clearly oppressive just by watching people play it), its that Reality Smasher and Thought-Knot Seer fundamentally break the rules the format because the lands produce multiple mana with literally no drawback or even any particular requirement to do so. Even Ancient Tomb costs you some life to use and even Gaea's Cradle requires you to do vomit guys before you're making it do busted poo poo.

Hell, I wonder if this could be a real deck in Legacy where you can jam Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors to go with Eye and Temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Caleb also actually shows off weird cool decks (I don't watch him stream, so I'm going primarily by his CFB videos).

He's just great and is easily my favorite CFB streamer, though LSV competes.

• Locked thread