Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blastron posted:

It is very much just stream-of-consciousness rambling. During big fight scenes it gets a lot more concrete, but 95% of it is vaguely-coherent rambling.

I don't know if there's a translation of the LN, but if you're reading the translated WN and are finding it hard to understand I'd like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my own, marginally less lovely translation effort at http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

That isn't just marginally better, it's significantly easier to follow without constantly cringing, thanks. I think that poor translation can work okay if you're telling a story in a more typical manner, but when everything written is the thoughts of the main character it can sort of also give the impression that the character is dumb or constantly thinking in a heavy accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Looks like honzuki is starting to pick up the pace. Thanks for translating blastron :3:

blastron posted:

Could someone braver than me confirm if this is a real novel or not, TIA

Every translator has to have a creepy LN on their site, right? right?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Cynic Jester posted:

Good lord, Novel Updates, while great and eminently usable, also shows me just how deep the rabbithole goes. Apparently there is a WN going by 'When I Summoned a Succubus Slave, My Sister Is the One That Appeared' being translated. :wtc:

I tend to ignore everything being translated on that website. There's not a thing on there that isn't some sort of rape fetishism. Doesn't make NovelUpdates any less awesome though. I don't blame the aggregator for the content of some peoples blech fantasies.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
On the flipside, when a translator I like goes for something weird I tend to at least give it a shot.

Konobuta has been doing Mercenary Chef and If It's for my Daughter, I Might be able to Defeat the Demon Lord, which are both super solid and have nice sounding concepts (former was mentioned earlier in the thread, second is about a hero adopting a demon child and turning into the doofiest dad). Manager of the Other World Brothel... did not.

But as the dude's own (all caps) comments say,

quote:

SURPRISINGLY HARD TO TRANSLATE? SOMETHING SHORT I FOUND OFF SYOSETU, JUST TO TAKE A BREAK FROM RYOURIBAN EVERY NOW AND THEN (I DON’T EVEN KNOW IF THIS IS GOOD OR NOT :V)

may as well at least give it a shot? It's only eight chapters, so even if it turns out bad it won't waste that much time.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

BlitzBlast posted:

Manager of the Other World Brothel... did not.

Truly, I am shocked that this one was bad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Never knew you knew japanese.

(You might want to read my post again.)

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

BlitzBlast posted:

Never knew you knew japanese.

(You might want to read my post again.)

Your post says it wasn't solid, though now I'm not sure you meant it to say that.

I went and read the first chapter to humour you. It talks about prostitute ranks, mentions exposed bits a lot, and contains nothing at all to make me change my opinion or keep reading. It is about what you would expect from something called "Manager of the Other World Brothel."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You read it wrong, I said that Mercenary Chef and Long Title are both super solid and have nice sounding concepts. Meanwhile Manager has one of the shittiest concepts I've heard in a while.

Honestly I could care less what you feel about the thing, I just brought it up as an example. I'm just miffed you read my post wrong. <:mad:>

EDIT: Though if you want an actual "this thing sounded like poo poo but was actually pretty good", Tensei Oujo is about a girl getting reincarnated into a dating sim full of creepy leads (one's a masochist, one's a necrophiliac, one's a yandere, etc) and trying to attract a man who is like 20 years older than her physical age. And yet it is somehow pretty good.

Shame it hasn't updated since last November though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 6, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I love how everything is so ridiculous, outlandish and absurd in ISSTH. Yes, other xianxia novels have magical beasts and techniques and whatnot, but they usually don't have people flying around in giant meteors, flying spider armies that block out the sun, humongous sentient Discworld turtles as a Patriarch, or The Lord Fifth.

The anime of Grimgal (Grimgar?) got me interested in its light novel version and, although I enjoyed reading what was translated, I feel like the anime is actually better. The light novel has far too much boob dialogue and Ranta is an infuriatingly annoying twat. Both of those elements seem to be toned down in the anime and it improves things a lot.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Fleve posted:

The anime of Grimgal (Grimgar?) got me interested in its light novel version and, although I enjoyed reading what was translated, I feel like the anime is actually better. The light novel has far too much boob dialogue and Ranta is an infuriatingly annoying twat. Both of those elements seem to be toned down in the anime and it improves things a lot.
Ranta being an infuriatingly annoying twat is a huge plot point, though. As for the boob dialog, I had actually completely forgotten it and thought the anime did that more.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Fleve posted:

I love how everything is so ridiculous, outlandish and absurd in ISSTH. Yes, other xianxia novels have magical beasts and techniques and whatnot, but they usually don't have people flying around in giant meteors, flying spider armies that block out the sun, humongous sentient Discworld turtles as a Patriarch, or The Lord Fifth.
A lot of the terms are actually pretty generic fantasy terms, that's what makes it so great. It's like the written account of an eleven year old playing with his dolls action figures while also being filled with one liners from 80's action movies. What are the totem demons' titles in the wuxiaworld translation by the way? I had it in my head as "godfather" when I was reading the raw.

Here's some (pretty much spoiler free) technique/place/item names from up to around ch1000 or so, there's plenty of stuff that you can't really tell is from xianxia rather than generic western fantasy if you just try to localize terms even a little:

purple rain
demon-blade desolate grave
black lotus
collapse of the nine heavens
church of the immortal emperor
solitary spell, starform
great lord of the nine seals
deicide strike

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Algid posted:

A lot of the terms are actually pretty generic fantasy terms, that's what makes it so great. It's like the written account of an eleven year old playing with his dolls action figures while also being filled with one liners from 80's action movies. What are the totem demons' titles in the wuxiaworld translation by the way? I had it in my head as "godfather" when I was reading the raw.

That sounds like what's currently translated as Greatfather, or perhaps Grand Elder, but Greatfather seems more likely. Do we keep getting these kind of story arcs where entirely new categories of skills are introduced? We've gone from demon sealing, to alchemy, to totems, and I love that most of what we've met earlier is still relevant. Hell, the mirror produced the parrot, that's a hell of a pay off.

Arkeus posted:

Ranta being an infuriatingly annoying twat is a huge plot point, though. As for the boob dialog, I had actually completely forgotten it and thought the anime did that more.

That's true and I actually agreed with Ranta for a second, but then he went bonkers again. I hope it resolves soonish because the lengthy meaningless arguments over nothing aren't very gripping.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

The LN is pretty bad about it when you first meet characters. I think literally every introduction to a female character also has a paragraph describing how physically attractive she is. But it doesn't really mention their appearance much after the initial introduction, and there hasn't been a single "Ranta trying to sneak into hot spring"-type situation in all of the other translated chapters. And, more importantly, there's still nothing even remotely resembling a harem occurring.

But yeah, Ranta being an rear end is a pretty big plot point, though I'm not totally happy with the way the situation was resolved. I was expecting Ranta to be at least a little less lovely after finding out that the party really values him and cares about him, but he continues to be an rear end in a top hat. During the whole thing where he was stranded in the mines, I got the impression that part of his acting out was because he felt insecure about how the other party members felt about him and figures "might as well be an rear end in a top hat if they think I'm an rear end in a top hat", so it doesn't really make much sense for him to continue being that way afterwards. I can understand him continuing to be arrogant and stuff; that's just part of his personality. But he still says a bunch of stuff that is almost downright nasty, particularly when making fun of the girls..

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 7, 2016

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Fleve posted:

That sounds like what's currently translated as Greatfather, or perhaps Grand Elder, but Greatfather seems more likely. Do we keep getting these kind of story arcs where entirely new categories of skills are introduced? We've gone from demon sealing, to alchemy, to totems, and I love that most of what we've met earlier is still relevant. Hell, the mirror produced the parrot, that's a hell of a pay off.
There are other major "skill trees" Meng Hao will fill out, but it won't be as focused as go to violet fate sect, learn alchemy, go to black lands + western desert, learn righteous bestowal and then gets cool tats of Chinese characters on random body parts. There's two arcs that are sort of like that (go to place, learn major thing), but it's not as obvious since Meng Hao didn't plan it out himself like he did with learning alchemy and collecting totems. The major plot obviously involves him being the 9th demon sealer (and sealing the heavens), but it develops pretty slowly.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

But yeah, Ranta being an rear end is a pretty big plot point, though I'm not totally happy with the way the situation was resolved. I was expecting Ranta to be at least a little less lovely after finding out that the party really values him and cares about him, but he continues to be an rear end in a top hat. During the whole thing where he was stranded in the mines, I got the impression that part of his acting out was because he felt insecure about how the other party members felt about him and figures "might as well be an rear end in a top hat if they think I'm an rear end in a top hat", so it doesn't really make much sense for him to continue being that way afterwards. I can understand him continuing to be arrogant and stuff; that's just part of his personality. But he still says a bunch of stuff that is almost downright nasty, particularly when making fun of the girls..

I read that differently. I saw it as Ranta is a really, really big rear end in a top hat, but it's just how he is and we can count on him in a fight itself so we can deal with it. E.G, his PoV showed, to me, that he just thinks very very weirdly and is unable to actually understand what people are saying.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Every translator has to have a creepy LN on their site, right? right?

Yeah, it's 1 AM, I'm drunk as poo poo, why the gently caress not?

My Little Sister Got Hemorrhoids, So I Helped Her Insert The Suppository – 001

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

blastron posted:

Yeah, it's 1 AM, I'm drunk as poo poo, why the gently caress not?

My Little Sister Got Hemorrhoids, So I Helped Her Insert The Suppository – 001

Doing god's work

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm the three guys on novelupdates who rated it five

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

don't lie, it was me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hey, I just wanted to encourage you to continue with your translation of the LN with the bookworm girl who is reincarnated into a poor family. It's pretty interesting so far; I like how the girl's first priority, after looking for books, is to figure out how to wash her hair, since I would be the exact same and "transported into medeival-ish setting" stories normally ignore how any modern person would have trouble dealing with the filth and poor hygeine. Your translation/writing is also drastically better than all the other fan LN translations I've seen. It's really nice to read one of these things and not constantly be distracted by the bad writing.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ytlaya posted:

Your translation/writing is also drastically better than all the other fan LN translations I've seen. It's really nice to read one of these things and not constantly be distracted by the bad writing.

From what I've heard in this thread, the source material is also much better written than other LNs. It is certainly nice having more than 1 sentence per paragraph anyways

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
In today's chapter, Kumo-chan meets Sue-chan. :3:

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

well, it was a good trip, but it finally happened. Kumo is bad now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Adelheid posted:

The story or the character?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 12, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Holy crap, Kenkyo has had 2 new chapters in a month. I think it might be slowly coming back to life?! It is a best thing and you must all read it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Adelheid posted:

What happened?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

darkgray posted:

Holy crap, Kenkyo has had 2 new chapters in a month. I think it might be slowly coming back to life?! It is a best thing and you must all read it.

Ugh, people who don't put updates into the right category so that they show up in automated rss feeds are the worst :mad:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What happened?

Kumoko is going around setting up the events that took place in the human arc. She does this mostly by threatening people, while maintaining an internal monologue full of netspeak. So, nothing unusual.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Hell, only thing I'd think would be a little weird is her using a parasitic brain spider to keep Yuugo/Natsume in line and stop him from getting out of hand with Lust, and even then it didn't seem that awful.

Unless Adelheid's talking about something in the untranslated recent chapters.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Dartonus posted:

Hell, only thing I'd think would be a little weird is her using a parasitic brain spider to keep Yuugo/Natsume in line and stop him from getting out of hand with Lust, and even then it didn't seem that awful.

Unless Adelheid's talking about something in the untranslated recent chapters.

No, I'm talking about that specifically. Like, it hasn't sunk to the level of a lot of other things, but it's definitely in "I don't really know how I feel about this right now" territory.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Yeah, the translation is pretty bad but the story is really interesting so far. I like these LNs with female protagonists, they seem a lot less like wish fulfillment stories.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Adelheid posted:

No, I'm talking about that specifically. Like, it hasn't sunk to the level of a lot of other things, but it's definitely in "I don't really know how I feel about this right now" territory.

News flash, the former spider who likes to eat people does not value human life in general.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the translation is pretty bad but the story is really interesting so far. I like these LNs with female protagonists, they seem a lot less like wish fulfillment stories.

It was picked up by a different translator if you didn't know yet, I can't really tell (also he was talking about Japanese chapters but that doesn't matter I guess).

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

News flash, the former spider who likes to eat people does not value human life in general.

Okay but this is the first time her internal monologue mentioned the little sister character having an "erotic voice"

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 13, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ahahahahahhaa, oh god. immortal god emperor is one of the many mediocre series i follow on and off. around chapter 70 it turned into a moba. i am not joking or exaggerating in any way.

edit: in chapter 74 someone explains that it is very important to last-hit creeps. all of this is played completely straight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 14, 2016

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

ahahahahahhaa, oh god. immortal god emperor is one of the many mediocre series i follow on and off. around chapter 70 it turned into a moba. i am not joking or exaggerating in any way.

edit: in chapter 74 someone explains that it is very important to last-hit creeps. all of this is played completely straight.

If you didn't notice his "Immortal Codex" movesets are so far: Jarvan IV, and Garen from League of Legends.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

If you didn't notice his "Immortal Codex" movesets are so far: Jarvan IV, and Garen from League of Legends.

I haven't played lol for years, so I didn't know. But yeah, that is amazing.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013

I don't play MOBA's but this sounds amazing and makes me want to read it.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

DeafAsianQT posted:

I don't play MOBA's but this sounds amazing and makes me want to read it.

Haha, it's not a great series but I enjoy it. During the moba portion he even jungles/wards all played straight with appropriate in-universe terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Algid posted:

There are other major "skill trees" Meng Hao will fill out, but it won't be as focused as go to violet fate sect, learn alchemy, go to black lands + western desert, learn righteous bestowal and then gets cool tats of Chinese characters on random body parts. There's two arcs that are sort of like that (go to place, learn major thing), but it's not as obvious since Meng Hao didn't plan it out himself like he did with learning alchemy and collecting totems. The major plot obviously involves him being the 9th demon sealer (and sealing the heavens), but it develops pretty slowly.

I've been reading ISSTH for a while now and wasn't sure if there was a thread on SA to chat about it in. Started down this rabbit hole reading Tales of Demons and Gods which started off great but the last arc has really expanded the world in a way which I am not enjoying... but anyway the translator for TDG moved his site to Wuxia World and I found ISSTH which is by far my favorite. It's ridiculous but very entertaining.

Have you read the whole thing already?

• Locked thread