Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bobfly posted:

This is the place to ask questions, right? I read the OP, but the laptop market still seems like quite a jungle to me, so here's my situation for your perusal:

I'm in the market for a nice low-end laptop to replace my trusty but increasingly obsolescent 2009 macbook.

I don't give a hoot about playing games on it, I just want to be able to browse the internet and do office work. No graphical design, nothing fancier than Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

I would quite like a windows computer – I was always very slightly annoyed by OSX, though I grant that that's likely at least partially caused by running an aging version (due to worries that a newer might finally kill the old workhorse).

So, in order of importance:

Price
Windows 10
Office
Battery life
Weight
SSD

Can I ask for some recommendations based on this?

Also, are there any shocking developments on the horizon – in other words, does it make more sense than usual to wait before buying? I CAN wait, but the completely dead battery on my old computer is becoming a touch annoying.

If the Thinkpad T450s is not too expensive, get one with the ips 1080p screen and add an SSD plus max ram (buying an 850 evo plus an 8gb ram stick and installing it can be cheaper than having it preinstalled by lenovo).

It's a reasonably durable computer that doesn't weigh a ton and has good battery life. There's also an upcoming T460s but that has a mac style nonremovable battery and is unlikely to be meaningfully better for office use.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Hm. I guess 800-ish $ (equiv) is probably the pain barrier for me, but mind you, I am in the EU (Denmark), so things are a bit more expensive here? I saw that an asus zenbook ux305ca fc119t is that price here, for reference.

Sooo... Maybe 700$?

Sorry I can't be more specific!

E: ^^^ Thank you – the T450s sounds very solid! Unfortunately, it is in fact out of my reach, and I don't really need either the battery life or extraordinary durability – I hardly ever travel by plane, and I'm quite careful with my things. So I think paying for those things would be a bit of a waste in my specific case.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 5, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the Asus UX305 and like it a lot but I wouldn't pay more than $600 for it.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I have the Asus UX305 and like it a lot but I wouldn't pay more than $600 for it.

I'm glad to hear you like it. I just found one at a reduced price, but that one only has 4GB RAM. Is that, or will that soon be, too little for everyday use? And, if so, is it possible to add more?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Is that the one with a core M or an i3/i5?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You want 8 gigs and you can't add more. You actually can't change anything about it once you've purchased it.

I have the one with the Skylake Core M. My reservation about the price isn't because of the performance though, which is just fine for what I do. It's little things like the build quality of the trackpad: it's poo poo. Also I think I loathe Windows.

Chaplin
Sep 24, 2006
I got the Asus 305 (M version) for my wife and we are mixed on it. It's certainly light and the price was right. Once the battery gets low, it seems to lose its mind and have performance issues and display driver crashes left and right. We tend to keep it plugged in more often than not as a result. The power adapter isn't much bigger than a cell phone charger so you're not hauling around a brick, at least.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Mu Zeta posted:

You want 8 gigs and you can't add more. You actually can't change anything about it once you've purchased it.

Thank you, I'll forgo the "special offer", then.

On another note: drat, but the sub-model naming scheme is impenetrable, though. How in the wide world of sports do I know a 049 from a 119 from a UHM. Or whatever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bobfly posted:

Thank you, I'll forgo the "special offer", then.

On another note: drat, but the sub-model naming scheme is impenetrable, though. How in the wide world of sports do I know a 049 from a 119 from a UHM. Or whatever.

Do you have this model of UX305 available to you? It tends to be the best value, and the Skylake one isn't worth $100 more than the Broadwell.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I do not, unfortunately, and to get the equivalent model, I'd be paying about $75 over the otherwise-equivalent skylake for storage space I don't really need. But thank you for the suggestion, that looks like quite the offer.

I'll probably just get that zenbook I was looking at, then, it sounds like it fits the bill / comes with drawbacks I can live with. Thank you for your input, everyone, you're very kind!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Lenovo is having a decent sale and I need a gaming (CSGO, HOTS,DOTA 2, etc) laptop due to me being on the road alot lately. It looks like the Y700 series is the gaming line?

i5-6300hq ok? or should I upgrade to i7-6700 for an extra $100?

960M 2gb ok? Is it worth upgrading to 960M 4gb for 50?

What's the difference between the FHD anti-glare screen and the $200+ UHD screen?

How is Lenovos warranty process? 1 year is included, year 2 is $45 and year 3 is $92

And accidental damage protection is $37?

Looks like:

i5-6300, 960m2gb, 8gb ram, 500gb regular hd, no SSD, 15inch FHD monitor... 3 year warranty and accidental damage comes out to $1,029. Seems a little high?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

fyallm posted:

Lenovo is having a decent sale and I need a gaming (CSGO, HOTS,DOTA 2, etc) laptop due to me being on the road alot lately. It looks like the Y700 series is the gaming line?

What's the difference between the FHD anti-glare screen and the $200+ UHD screen?

How is Lenovos warranty process? 1 year is included, year 2 is $45 and year 3 is $92

Looks like:

i5-6300, 960m2gb, 8gb ram, 500gb regular hd, no SSD, 15inch FHD monitor... 3 year warranty and accidental damage comes out to $1,029. Seems a little high?

Yeah it is, mostly.

i5 to i7 is only very slightly worth it, so if you don't have tons of money to throw around don't upgrade.

$1000 is not unexpected for a gaming laptop. Pick two: not poo poo, cheap, portable.

960m 2gb is ok, the card will hardly ever need more.

Get the FHD (1920x1080) screen because the 960m won't drive an extremely high resolution UHD (around 4 times that) in any modern game.

According to what I've heard, Lenovo warranty for consumer models is ok but not outstanding (well it's a consumer warranty, what do you expect). Accidental damage protection is worth it if you expect to ever drop your laptop or spill coffee on it, or bump it around a lot in a bag.

e: and definitely get a samsung 850evo m.2 to reinstall windows on, the SSD is the major real life upgrade in a new laptop (besides graphics for gaming)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 5, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

fyallm posted:

Looks like:

Hit up Slickdeals and go to the computers tab. Theres a y700 on sale with slightly better specs AND the i7 for $830

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bobfly posted:

Hm. I guess 800-ish $ (equiv) is probably the pain barrier for me, but mind you, I am in the EU (Denmark), so things are a bit more expensive here? I saw that an asus zenbook ux305ca fc119t is that price here, for reference.

Sooo... Maybe 700$?

Sorry I can't be more specific!

E: ^^^ Thank you – the T450s sounds very solid! Unfortunately, it is in fact out of my reach

$800, I would look at the Dell XPS 13 @ $799 - for it is baller
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9343-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.312471000

I think if you buy the T450s on the outlet store or use the :siren:B&N Gold link in the OP it should come in at just under $800

The ASUS UX305 is pretty nice, as was mentioned above.

You could also look at a refurb Thinkpad x240 or x250 for under $600.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The XPS isn't at all comparable to the Lenovo machine IMO. The XPS does have Infinity-EdgeTM and carbon fiber though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The XPS 13 has a better IPS screen, similar quality keyboard and acceptable overall build quality. The Thinkpad is more durable, sure, but keep in mind he's been using an Apple laptop with one of those goregous Apple laptop screens for going on 7 years. You can't dump him on a Lenovo T series with TN display and expect him to be happy. That's why I reccomended the X series, which at least will have a 1080p IPS display.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The XPS 13 has a better IPS screen, similar quality keyboard and acceptable overall build quality. The Thinkpad is more durable, sure, but keep in mind he's been using an Apple laptop with one of those goregous Apple laptop screens for going on 7 years. You can't dump him on a Lenovo T series with TN display and expect him to be happy. That's why I reccomended the X series, which at least will have a 1080p IPS display.

Carbon fiber or not, it's one of the super buggy 1st gen ones and only has 4GB of RAM. The Lenovo mentioned also has an IPS.

quote:

Lenovo has Lenovo Ideapad Y700 15" Gaming Laptop (80NV005EUS) on sale for $999.99 - $170 off w/ coupon code USPY7EUS128 = $829.99. Shipping is free. Thanks Suryasis

Specs:

15.6" 1920x1080 resolution IPS display
2.6GHz Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor
8GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM
1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB dedicated graphics
Ports:
2x USB 3.0
1x USB 2.0
1x HDMI
1x 4-in-1 Media Card Reader
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
4-Cell 60Wh Li-Po Battery

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Idea pads are not Thinkpads, quoth the OP;

Hadlock posted:

ThinkPad laptops are completely seperate from Lenovo "Ideapads".

Friends don't let friends buy Idea Pads :smith:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Why? This one seems to be really good once you swap in an SSD, and the reviews affirm that.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Idea pads are not Thinkpads, quoth the OP;

Is there a problem with that line? From what I've read the y700 series has been fairly well recieved.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If it's just going to sit on a desktop somewhere it might be okay, if you're actually intending to use it as a laptop look elsewhere.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

dissss posted:

If it's just going to sit on a desktop somewhere it might be okay, if you're actually intending to use it as a laptop look elsewhere.

Why?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lenovo makes cheap laptops with cheap build quality. They've been slowly eroding the Thinkpad name since they purchased it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone have any recommendations on a good windows tablet in the sub-450 price range than can do some minor gaming? Asking for a friend since i have no real experience outside my Yoga 2 tablet. He wants something that can effectively play things like Sunless Sea, Valdis Story, and maybe some League of Legends. This is all the info he gave me and the only thing i could potentially find was the Dell Venue Pro 7140 refurbs. I just dont feel competent enough in this area to really give him a recommendation but with the current dell refurb deals the tablet would be about 350-ish.

edit: and yes, i told him that real gaming on a tablet isnt going to happen. At least his expectations are relatively low.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 6, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

those games are doable on integrated graphics so pretty much anything you can find with an intel processor from the last few years would be fine i guess

e: oh tablet, derp. i have no clue

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 6, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am getting a brand new warranty replacement laptop for my HP omen 15. I realized that in the 6 months I owned it I spent less than 5% of the time on games and I probably dont need a "gaming" laptop. I really liked how it looked but I wasnt really utilizing its performance.

Im thinking of selling it and buying an ultrabook or something. Any recent intel graphics should be fine for whatever light gaming I may do on it. I think I can sell it for 1k and that should buy something reasonable. Are there any interesting products coming out for me to be aware of?

I really like the aesthetics of the newest razer blade stealth without a discreet GPU. How does its price match up to other laptops with similar specs?
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-stealth
I already have a gaming desktop and dont care about the Core addon.

How is razer's warranty support on laptops?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 6, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

I really like the aesthetics of the newest razer blade stealth without a discreet GPU. How does its price match up to other laptops with similar specs?
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-stealth
I already have a gaming desktop and don't care about the Core add-on.

That's pretty neat, I had not heard of that. Razer's gaming laptop gets high marks (ignoring it's price) and for $999 you're basically getting a black Apple laptop that slots somewhere between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro. At a glance it looks like an acceptable value.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Why? This one seems to be really good once you swap in an SSD, and the reviews affirm that.

It's still a slab of randomly assembled plastic parts that sort of functions as a laptop. Really, if you've ever had a good or tolerable build quality laptop, nothing except high grade business laptops and maybe XPS 13/15 plus expensive chomebooks is acceptable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

and the reviews affirm that.

Laptops should not squeak, groan or pop if you push down on the palm rests, keyboard, or pick it up by the corner, or display. Most laptop reviews are written by college students moonlighting as "tech journalists" who are comparing it to only one other laptop they use on a regular basis which is probably a mac. In comparison, the people posting here often look at the competition and keep up to date with new models.

I trust mobiletechreview, here is what she has to say about the venerable Y700. This lady has a proper goony eye for quality, long term use cases and touches a lot of hardware, and a wide variety of it and gives very accurate, knowledgeable reviews on hardware.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y700.htm

MTR posted:

Lenovo makes some of the best keyboards on the market, but those are in the business ThinkPad series. The Lenovo Y700 is a member of the IdeaPad family, and like the non-ThinkPad Yogas, gets a decent but not fantastic keyboard.

The Synaptics trackpad is old school Windows 8 quality stuff. In other words, it's not great.

Display quality has sometimes been a sore point with the Y series over the years; after all Lenovo had to cut corners somewhere to bring these in at just over $1,000.

color gamut isn't a high point for the 15.6" full HD touch screen model. It represents a paltry 66% of sRGB and 50% of Adobe RGB, where other similarly priced laptops manage 95% of sRGB and 75% of Adobe RGB

However she does give mediocre marks for overall build quality:

MTR posted:

The laptops are heavy but fairly slim, decently constructed ..

The lid and bottom panel are metal, though they might look like plastic. ...They're nice enough looking and casing rigidity is good;

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Is there a problem with that line? From what I've read the y700 series has been fairly well recieved.

They're consumer grade laptops so they don't have things like carbon fiber or other premium materials in their build. Lenovo is also notorious for loading up their PCs with malware/security flaw-ridden software and the Thinkpad line is probably somewhat less likely to have this issue. You are correct though that the y700 has been well received and that multiple goons have posted nice things about it.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I'm in the market for a new laptop, looking for recommendations, please.

"medium" gaming capability. Stuff I have been/will be playing: Sims3, Project: Gorgon(MMO), Shadows of Middle Earth, Skyrim. I don't need cutting edge, but medium level settings for games are nice. Keeping a decent framerate(25 fps or better) in a MMO, when being in a town with a 20 other players would be great.

price range of $800-$1000.

weight is not a big concern; laptop is used at home, but taken to work/town/travel about 10x per year.

battery life of a couple hours is plenty.

SSD sounds nice.

I've been using a Dell Inspiron 17 for the last 3 years have been really happy with it; but lately its getting buggy. Shuts down completely when gaming, at random. I think its developing a heat problem though the fan is still running. Looking at Device Manager: It has a GeForce GT 650M and(?) Intel HD Graphics 4000. And Intel i5-3210M @2.5GHz times 4 (quad?).

A couple of questions:
I've been running a second 23" monitor for movies originally, but also games. Am I straining my graphics card asking it to run a bigger monitor at higher resolutions?

What the best process/approach for cloning installed games from my current computer to a new computer? Do people get a solid state drive, copy to that, and then to the new computer? I live in a remote location, and have to go to town or work for proper bandwidth, I'd prefer not to have to re-download dozens of gigs worth of games.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 6, 2016

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Hadlock posted:

I trust mobiletechreview, here is what she has to say about the venerable Y700. This lady has a proper goony eye for quality, long term use cases and touches a lot of hardware, and a wide variety of it and gives very accurate, knowledgeable reviews on hardware.
She and notebookcheck (the German site) seem to be the only good laptop reviewers.

Edit:
I'm looking seriously at buying an X260 Yoga, but it seems like there are some problems with throttling and case durability.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 6, 2016

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Internetjack posted:

What the best process/approach for cloning installed games from my current computer to a new computer? Do people get a solid state drive, copy to that, and then to the new computer? I live in a remote location, and have to go to town or work for proper bandwidth, I'd prefer not to have to re-download dozens of gigs worth of games.

If they are mostly steam games, steam has a backup/restore function.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Edit:
I'm looking seriously at buying an X260 Yoga, but it seems like there are some problems with throttling and case durability.

laffo
this is what i mean by "consumer laptops are crap", and not being a real thinkpad, the yoga series are consumer laptops

basically wait for the x260 to come out and get reviewed, it'll most likely be much more durable

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

that's basically what my x220 (the shittiest x series imo) looked like after being dropped two dozen times and getting dragged through the jungle, and not after being picked up by the corner in a normal office environment

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Are there any non-Lenovo 2-in-1 laptops that can play games decently (by that I mean Skyrim being the most intensive game being played) for under $1000?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So my laptop of 5 years is finally starting to fall apart, and I'm looking to get an upgrade. It probably really doesn't have to all that fancy. If I was going to game on it and not my PC I'd just play light games like Binding of Isaac or at a push some Source engine games. Chances are I'm just going to be watching streams and writing in word for the bulk of it.
£1000 is my absolute upper limit and I really would prefer to buy something cheaper, but being in the UK seems to make things way expensive anyway.
I just want a nice medium range laptop I guess?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

blowfish posted:

laffo
this is what i mean by "consumer laptops are crap", and not being a real thinkpad, the yoga series are consumer laptops

basically wait for the x260 to come out and get reviewed, it'll most likely be much more durable

bendgate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Are there any non-Lenovo 2-in-1 laptops that can play games decently (by that I mean Skyrim being the most intensive game being played) for under $1000?

Pay someone $100 to steal a SurfaceBookTM