Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Kanan is out today and Grievous looks badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Grievous looks badass.

A phrase that had never before been uttered

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reset Smith posted:

A phrase that had never before been uttered

Everyone said that when he was in the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OhFunny posted:

Kanan is out today and Grievous looks badass.

I read this before I read the comic, and then I saw it was just a panel of him standing and got confused.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Hell, Greivous had some pretty badass moments in TCW too.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Keiya posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5t8A0NUCrI

Yeah.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Everyone said that when he was in the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series.

Grievous was so bad rear end in that cartoon, the movie gave me such horrible whiplash.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

site posted:

I read this before I read the comic, and then I saw it was just a panel of him standing and got confused.
In my defense. I said I thought he looked badass. I've only ever seen him in cartoon, movie, and CGI. He's drawn with a lot of detail here.

I remember the mix of " Woah! the new villain is awesome!" and despair of "three EU fan favorites were just killed" across the fan sites before the season 2 came out.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I love how they did the Force in the 2003 series. The Jedi don't just gesture and move things, they throw around these incredible concussive blasts.

And the Clones just loving hose down the room when they see a threat, they don't hesitate for anything.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
For a while there the Mace Windu episodes of Clone Wars weren't considered canon because they were too awesome.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I love Genndy's style of super basic storytelling. He got told "make people hype for the new villain" so he made him look like walking death in every single frame. I really wish he got more work.

wiegieman posted:

I love how they did the Force in the 2003 series. The Jedi don't just gesture and move things, they throw around these incredible concussive blasts.

And the Clones just loving hose down the room when they see a threat, they don't hesitate for anything.

Yeah the Clones were badass too, but they seem to be so in everything that isn't the movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mycot posted:

I love Genndy's style of super basic storytelling. He got told "make people hype for the new villain" so he made him look like walking death in every single frame. I really wish he got more work.

Well, Samurai Jack is coming back.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Well, Samurai Jack is coming back.

:monocle:

Tell me more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

:monocle:

Tell me more.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/637821-samurai-jack-returns-2016#/slide/1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

qntm posted:

For a while there the Mace Windu episodes of Clone Wars weren't considered canon because they were too awesome.
Mace, like, pulls the bolts out of a battalion of droids and then uses them as shrapnel.

Meanwhile, in the movies, they can barely pull their sabers from across the room.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I track down the Mace Windu episode on youtube two or three times a year. It's perfect—musical, beautiful, fun, well-paced, and includes the least practical war machine ever.

e: Just checked, and, yes, I definitely called a Star Wars cartoon "beautiful" this morning. Welp it's my shame to live with, now.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 3, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Where's my goddamned Vader?! :argh:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I really like how the artist on Obi-Wan and Anakin draws lightsaber fights

It's a shame about the terrible characterization for Anakin tho

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

I really like how the artist on Obi-Wan and Anakin draws lightsaber fights

It's a shame about the terrible characterization for Anakin tho

Isnt terrible characterization basically his defining feature?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Keiya posted:

It's hard *not* to have a character with Grevious concept be one badass motherfucker (I mean, he'd have to be to pose a threat against Jedi ubermensch), but of course; leave it to George to gently caress it up (especially when being handed that 2003 introduction).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Canemacar posted:

Isnt terrible characterization basically his defining feature?

He's okay in the clone wars animated thing by then samurai jack dude.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Fun fact about Genndy's Grievous: Lucas gave Genndy a sneak peak at the character design and described him as a jedi-killing badass. The final season of the non-CGI Clone Wars aired right before the release of Episode III. When Genndy saw the movie version of Greivous, he pulled an all-nighter to animate this scene to try to reconcile the difference between his version and Lucas's. Also, I think I remember Lucas not being sure on whether he wanted to kill Shaak Ti or not in the beginning of Episode III. Pretty sure Windu finding her tied up at the end there is the result of Lucas changing his mind at the last second before obviously changing it again. The whole thing sounded extremely frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5t8A0NUCrI&t=993s
(Start at 16:30 if the video doesn't do it automatically)

Edit: Actually, I don't remember if Shaak Ti getting sabered was in the final cut of RotS or not.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 6, 2016

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Grievous killing Shaak Ti was filmed but was a deleted scene. And Stover's novelization had her still alive and in the Temple when Anakin and the clones assaulted it, so I guess there was confusion towards her status all-around.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So is Shaak Ti dead in the new canon?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

radlum posted:

So is Shaak Ti dead in the new canon?
In the last season of The Clone Wars, Yoda has a vision in which she's killed by Anakin's lightsaber. She hasn't been mentioned in anything post-RoTS, so her death is implied but not outright confirmed so far.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is Tartakovski Clone Wars in canon?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Is Tartakovski Clone Wars in canon?

Isnt Rebels the only cannon animated thing right now?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Norns posted:

Isnt Rebels the only cannon animated thing right now?

The 3d Clone Wars is canon, as is Rebels. Tartakovski's was literally made not-canon even before episode 3 came out, because it differed in power scope too much for lucasfilm's liking.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You mean because Jedi were capable of more than force pushing with a light wind?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

The 3d Clone Wars is canon, as is Rebels. Tartakovski's was literally made not-canon even before episode 3 came out, because it differed in power scope too much for lucasfilm's liking.

Pretty sure they even stopped producing DVDs of the Tartakovsky Clone Wars - I haven't looked myself but I've heard they can be pretty tough to get hold of nowadays.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pretty sure they even stopped producing DVDs of the Tartakovsky Clone Wars - I haven't looked myself but I've heard they can be pretty tough to get hold of nowadays.

If only some form of YouTube downloader existed, and the entire series were posted dozens of times—both whole and in chapters—on the you tube, in HD quality. If only.

:filez:

But seriously: It might be difficult to buy, but it's presently not difficult to watch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, sure, I was just mentioning it as an observation about how it was taken out of canon - which, as we know, was incredibly rare for the Star Wars EU (and, as we also know, one of its most outstanding problems before it went kaput).

The only other thing which was removed from canon that occurs to me off the top of my head were the Jedi Prince / Glove of Darth Vader books, which I think were retconned into being bedtime stories "based on real events" that Han and Leia told their children.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A rogue alchemist has rubbed an elixir all over my body, on all of my skin and hair, granting me special powers over canonicity, and I am pleased to announce that the Tartakovsky cartoons are now the most canon thing in the Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squizzle posted:

A rogue alchemist has rubbed an elixir all over my body, on all of my skin and hair,

This is how Luke became a Jedi Master in one of the Kevin J. Anderson novels.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

KittyEmpress posted:

And yet, The Force Unleashed was allowed to remain canon all the way up until the Disney purge, even though the power scope in that was ridiculous and the plot took a huge poo poo all over the original trilogy.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

VirtualStranger posted:

And yet, The Force Unleashed was allowed to remain canon all the way up until the Disney purge, even though the power scope in that was ridiculous and the plot took a huge poo poo all over the original trilogy.

That game series, plus some LOTF stuff is exactly why the great cannon purge didn't bother me in the slightest. It was time to give the old EU the Ole Yeller treatment.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

VirtualStranger posted:

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who hates the Force Unleashed and the huge poo poo it took all over the original trilogy. So many people are like "I thought the story in those games was good!" :barf:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who hates the Force Unleashed and the huge poo poo it took all over the original trilogy. So many people are like "I thought the story in those games was good!" :barf:

The plot was mostly garbage, but I liked the characters. The character moments were pretty good.

Also Sam Witwer gave Dave Filoni a bunch of his old WEG Sourcebooks when they were working on Clone Wars together. So for everyone who says Rebels feels like a WEG campaign, that's probably why. I guess Starkiller was fundamental in the birth of the Rebellion after all! :downsrim:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

The plot was mostly garbage, but I liked the characters. The character moments were pretty good.

Also Sam Witwer gave Dave Filoni a bunch of his old WEG Sourcebooks when they were working on Clone Wars together. So for everyone who says Rebels feels like a WEG campaign, that's probably why. I guess Starkiller was fundamental in the birth of the Rebellion after all! :downsrim:

Has Sam ever commented on what he thought FU did to continuity? Annoyed that it tried to steal the thunder of literally everything in the OT? Or stoked that he had an official Mary Sue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Canemacar posted:

Has Sam ever commented on what he thought FU did to continuity? Annoyed that it tried to steal the thunder of literally everything in the OT? Or stoked that he had an official Mary Sue?

The term Mary Sue gets thrown around a lot, but TFU was a literal Mary Sue story ripped straight from fanfiction.net and tried to upstage everything done in the OT and all of its characters.

People say that the prequels ruin the OT, but they don't. TFU and Dark Empire ruin the OT.