Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Digital_Jesus posted:

All Square accomplished by putting in barriers that don't release until a mob dies is a clear and abrupt marker of how many mobs you should be pulling in one go, which is everything up to that barrier.

Also I'm soooooo close to having both AST and BLM @ 60 / ilvl190 my first 30 days playing.

I got grinding to do today :getin:

How many hours a day do you play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All of them.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Another problem is a lot of tanks, in my experience, don't use cooldowns on that pull and, most importantly, decide to contribute to the DPS on the honeycomb instead of just facing the hornets and focusing on keeping hate/alive.

I definitely contribute to the DPS when I can as well, although I try to hit it with my Overpower for a little bit first, since smashing everything with my axe can help keep me alive. I don't get not using cooldowns on that pull, though. It can be pretty rough to survive and if they can't manage it then they shouldn't be doing it. I guess this is pubbies that we're talking about though.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Luminous Cow posted:

How many hours a day do you play?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So basically a full time job.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

servers are back up btw.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Christ

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Nice! posted:

So basically a full time job.

Depends on how long he's been playing.

Because I think the last time I did the math he's way past 40 hours a week.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

Depends on how long he's been playing.

Because I think the last time I did the math he's way past 40 hours a week.

Well that many hours over a 30 day period is over seven hours a day average.

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 6, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Leofish posted:

Just tell him you're trying to win the war. It's your patriotic duty.

Thank you so much.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Leofish posted:

Just tell him you're trying to win the war. It's your patriotic duty.

I main whm, and I'm keeping this on a macro. Thanks.

e: I'm 180 so half the time the tank doing the big pulls either has str gear or the dps can't/won't AoE and I run out of MP :saddowns:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

e: I'm 180 so half the time the tank doing the big pulls either has str gear or the dps can't/won't AoE and I run out of MP :saddowns:

The tank having more Vitality probably wouldn't help you much with the MP issues. Instead, they probably aren't popping enough cooldowns. There's not too much else you can do except pack some high level ethers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

CrashScreen posted:

You don't even need to kill them (unless the tank is maybe a Dark Knight?). I find that I have enough time to stun them as a Warrior when they're casting Final Sting. Once it's been stunned, they don't seem to bother with it again. I've just gotten Dark Knight to 60 today, so I have no idea if the extra 5 seconds throws that off or not, and if you have a White Mage going to town with Holy for some reason then you might be screwed.
If your DPS is particularly slow/attacking the wrong things you're going to run out of stuns and get stinged. If your healer isn't on the ball/also DPSing the honeycomb then you'll likely die. As a WHM I once had to benediction and cure 2 spam through all four Final Stings from the bee's because the DPS was that slow/bad, even with the Tank hitting it. After Holying things 3 times.

So as DPS I focus on the Final Sting bee's and let the other DPS do whatever he wants before I start attacking the comb. I've had markedly less wipes that way.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 6, 2016

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't think it would work, but a surface 3 can actually run this game. 15-20fps on low but hey portable grinding.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

There was a post, somewhere, about one of the more efficient ways to grind up an anima weapon in its last step. Anyone have it or have a link to such?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Edit: Wrong thread

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eight-Six posted:

There was a post, somewhere, about one of the more efficient ways to grind up an anima weapon in its last step. Anyone have it or have a link to such?

The fastest way is to just do stuff and don't stop doing stuff. Do all the things that get you closer to another item. Hunts/maps/roulettes/newbie runs of trials/dungeons/etc. You're going to need 20 of each item so there really isn't a wrong way to do it.

Take unidentified seeds, for example. Those have five different ways you can get them. You can spend 680 law tomes, 1000 allied seals, 18 vanu whitebones, 13 Sylphic Goadleafs, or 10 precision gordian shafts.

Here's a quick reference: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Anima%20Weapons#Acquiring_.22Unidentified.22_Items_.28aka_The_Trading_Game.29

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

One thing I will advise is to sit on your Vanu tokens until you're nearly done, since you can spend them on anything. And when you're nearly done you'll have a much clearer sense of what exactly you still need and how close you are to those from other sources.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Okay, so a goon gave me a sweet iLvl 110 weapon a couple pages back. I looked at the Relic Weapons and they're definitely under that. Is there even a point to me ever doing that quest? It sounds like a lot of Not Fun (TM). I do want the best/glowiest/coolest glamour weapons by the end of it though, so I don't know if that's a necessity. Or if that's the glowy circle everyone is posing in front of.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

Okay, so a goon gave me a sweet iLvl 110 weapon a couple pages back. I looked at the Relic Weapons and they're definitely under that. Is there even a point to me ever doing that quest? It sounds like a lot of Not Fun (TM). I do want the best/glowiest/coolest glamour weapons by the end of it though, so I don't know if that's a necessity. Or if that's the glowy circle everyone is posing in front of.

There are two relics. The level 50 ones and the level 60 ones. At this point it doesn't make sense to do the level 50 short of a title and glamours.

Likely moving forward any talks of relics is likely referring to the 60 ones unless specified otherwise.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Wait, what glowy circle?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

m.hache posted:

Likely moving forward any talks of relics is likely referring to the 60 ones unless specified otherwise.

Yeah, guaranteed. The word anima refers to them too (until Tam-Tara EX I guess)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

m.hache posted:

There are two relics. The level 50 ones and the level 60 ones. At this point it doesn't make sense to do the level 50 short of a title and glamours.

That said, if you want the glamour they are relatively easy.

Nothing for the 50 relics stage 1 (or even 2) is random. There's a lot of quests to do it, but it's all simple solo kill quests, trials or dungeons.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess I don't care about the glamour that much. Gonna try and find time for my first raid in the next couple days.

vOv posted:

Wait, what glowy circle?

Prolly wrong, but it looks like a "I got the Ultimate gently caress Off Weapon" cutscene.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

I guess I don't care about the glamour that much. Gonna try and find time for my first raid in the next couple days.

Prolly wrong, but it looks like a "I got the Ultimate gently caress Off Weapon" cutscene.

Oh, the big green ring thing is just part of the zone it's in (Azys Lla, the highest level zone at the moment). It's where you turn in the quests for the new relic.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

vOv posted:

Thank you so much.

Marxalot posted:

I main whm, and I'm keeping this on a macro. Thanks.

:tipshat:

I'm glad you like it.

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Speaking of WHM, does anyone have any suggestions for hotbar layout? I'm at the point where I really need to figure out a decent layout and would really appreciate some input.

Also almost at Hevensward, yay! These 2.x quests really drag at times. "Well met, great adventurer whom has slain more Primals than we can count! Wouldst thou mind going to the rear end end of Corinthas Central Highland to talk to a nobody?" Yes. Yes I do mind. Bleh.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rotoru posted:

Speaking of WHM, does anyone have any suggestions for hotbar layout? I'm at the point where I really need to figure out a decent layout and would really appreciate some input.

I use a gamepad, but what I do is keep all my healing abilities on one bar and my damaging abilities on another. I have the three Cures together with Regen, Raise near Swiftcast, etc. On the second bar I have the Stones on one side and Aeros on the other, with helpful abilities like Holy, Virus, Fluid Aura, and Swiftcast throughout.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

To be fair, I'd much prefer a WHM that heals Hitler than one that starts the battle ahead of everyone, draws all of the trash, tries to do the DPS's job, and then neglects to heal the tank causing him to die.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Augus posted:

tries to do the DPS's job
It's you, you are part of the problem

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
It's almost as if they should give Tanks abilities that slow the rate at which they eat poo poo.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's you, you are part of the problem

You can't out-DPS a fuckin' WHM?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I still recommend that new 50s do the first two steps of the Zodiac weapon chain. It doesn't take long at all, there are two trials you unlock that way you don't otherwise get to do, and you get a glowy Zenith weapon and title for that specific job. Hell, if you do it for all the ARR jobs you get an extra title too.

It is everything beyond that phase that takes appreciable time and effort.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You can't out-DPS a fuckin' WHM?
I am a WHM and I do, in fact, often out-DPS really bad DPS in EXDR, without being particularly good or geared on my end. Framing it as "trying to do the DPS's job" is assuming the DPS can do their job, and that it isn't the tank or healer's job to contribute damage

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've seen WHMs push some pretty wacky numbers during big pulls with Holy spam.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

TBF when the devs design encounters iirc they count healers as 0DPS for the purposes of tuning anyway, so technically its *not* your job to do any damage, but you may as well if you've got the opportunity to do so without anyone dying.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Add a blue one:
Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty!
God in three Persons, blessèd Trinity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
whm tank

inevitable omni whm

Rotoru posted:

just do what's comfortable. i'm pretty sure if my raid group actually saw my hotbars and how many buttons I just click they'd be terrified, but as it is we do savage fine and nobody dies outside of getting instagibbed by messing up mechanics

I have small hands

• Locked thread