Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Zodack posted:

It's an Obligation from Dangerous Covenants, the Hired Gun book.

Looking at his character sheet, he hasn't determined exactly how it works yet. So, we'll see. I was just curious how to handle it on a broad scale.

Blood Money is a Motivation, not an Obligation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Ablative posted:

Blood Money is a Motivation, not an Obligation.

And you're right. Thanks, that's very convenient. Curse those d100 tables all looking the same.

E: My six-man group has finally settled on at least most of their characters and have picked out a ship to start the game with. I figured I'd be nice and threw them a 10,000 credit b one so they could have the YT-2400 as an option and they bit.

They named it Legitimate Business.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 7, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My player ended up changing his Obligation to "Dutybound" to reflect his character's ritualistic obligation to carry out assassinations on Dead-or-Alive bounty targets (He's an HK model Bounty Hunter Assassin). His backstory is pretty solid, although it's a lot of memory wipes and "I killed people for other people", so it'll be difficult to throw in anything too compelling if I ever roll in his bracket.

However, forcing him to potentially ignore the party and take a high-risk bounty seems like a good stress tester for his Obligation. I worry I'll run out of ideas, but we'll see.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

So the ship owner of my group is looking to upgrade the current ship (a Sorosuub YT-1300 knock off) to something a bit bigger. So i think he wants something that can take a speeder or a couple of speeder bikes as well as cargo and have a few more options to soup up.

Speaking of this, and on a similar note:

Retrofitted Hangar is a HP option for ships of silhouette 5 or greater, but I can't help feeling like the YT-models and some of the Silhouette 4 freighters have room in their cargo hold for holding small speeder bikes. The could obviously fit up the large loading ramp, as their profile is about as wide as a person.

I had a discussion with one of my players about ship "upgrades" that don't use Hardpoints, such as a bacta tank. That lead us into "well, what size is the one in the book?" and it turns out that it's a 300L portable tank, which is frankly pretty small. Full immersion tanks would cost about 40,000 credits (but I still feel would not take up a HP).

For the portable bacta tank... how exactly is that used? Is it like a fish aquarium of bacta where you stick the wounded limb into it, submerge it, and get it healed (poor man's full-immersion tank)? Or is it more along the lines of just a portable tank you use to refill other bacta-related things (like a water tank)? The book is fairly ambiguous.

It's not massively important, but one of my players rolled a Falleen Entrepeneur and I can tell he wants to be able to do interesting things with any credits he makes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Age of Rebellion fell 2 ft off a chair to the floor and the entire back of the binding ripped off :crossarms:

I'm gonna fix it and it's my own fault but drat these core books have crappy binding.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting what I plan to be a long campaign and in a session or two I want my players to come across a ship that they can have adventures with. I want it to be really lovely to start with though, and I'm a little turned off by the idea of having all ships be some variant of the Millennium Falcon.

Any suggestions?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I'm starting what I plan to be a long campaign and in a session or two I want my players to come across a ship that they can have adventures with. I want it to be really lovely to start with though, and I'm a little turned off by the idea of having all ships be some variant of the Millennium Falcon.

Any suggestions?

Find a picture of a non-Star Wars ship online, write down the stats of a starter ship from the book without the name, tell them they found an old "concept ship" that never went into production, and they'll see why at first until they uncover its strengths.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Ghtroc 720 is in Enter the Unknown and it's lightly armed and super adorable. :3:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Space Turtles for everyone.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

unseenlibrarian posted:

Space Turtles for everyone.

It would be cool if they came across it as a prize though randomly sitting in on a talkshow. Everybody gets a Ghtroc!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So there was a bootleg pirate Star Wars comic that was the -only- version of Star Wars in China in the eighties for a while.

Gonna be honest, I'd play in this alt-version of the setting.

Jedi Knights as -literal knights-.

A flashback to pre-Cyborg Vader.

Gotta say, I'd play in this alt-setting.

More here; http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-1-6/

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

So there was a bootleg pirate Star Wars comic that was the -only- version of Star Wars in China in the eighties for a while.

Some of that is so inspired (the Sand People!) and some is slavish imitation of some movie stills the artists had seen. It must be more than one artist, because Chewbacca is different in every panel.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

At least according to the article that pointed me at it, it's all one dude named Song Feideng. But he was working for a state-run publishing house and was also like the only dude who'd seen the movie working on it, so he might have been working from memory and also mixed in some Empire (The bounty hunters keep showing up as random imperial troops.)

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/01/20/asia-pacific/red-star-wars-china-use-pirate-comic-promote-science-1980s/#.VroWEvkrLmg

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Any suggestions?

It really depends on what the party wants to do, but there's plenty of good options. You can use the other YT varieties, for one thing. A YT-1000 is a neat ship. I actually just made a list myself for a similar reason. These are all approximately as rare and expensive as the other suggested starting ships: PB-950, INCOM A-36 Pathfinder, Loronar E-9, YG-4210 , YT-1210, Surronian Conquerer, HT-2200, HWK-290, CEC WUD-500, YKL-37R Nova Courier, and finally the YT-2000. There's some other ships about along those lines but they are either quite a bit rarer or more expensive.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a luxury yacht in one of the books that's really close to the suggested starting ship price, I always thought that could be an interesting choice.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Speaking of ships -

I have yet to do vehicle combat in my campaign so I'm trying to familiarize myself with a few of the rules.

When you angle deflector shields, can you move that point into any slot, or just a slot that already has a value (at least 0). I ask this because a lot of ground vehicles have a profile like 0/-/-/0 but most ships have 1/-/-/1 or 2/1/1/2. Essentially, are "-" and "0" equivalent for the purpose of angling your deflector shields, or does "-" indicate some side of the craft that simply can't angle the shield in that particular direction?

E: Second question was answered by Table 7-7 and I am dumb

Zodack fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

That artist sure did love him some Frank Frazetta.

NSFW http://i.imgur.com/lHCJdkf.jpg

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Chronische posted:

It really depends on what the party wants to do, but there's plenty of good options. You can use the other YT varieties, for one thing. A YT-1000 is a neat ship. I actually just made a list myself for a similar reason. These are all approximately as rare and expensive as the other suggested starting ships: PB-950, INCOM A-36 Pathfinder, Loronar E-9, YG-4210 , YT-1210, Surronian Conquerer, HT-2200, HWK-290, CEC WUD-500, YKL-37R Nova Courier, and finally the YT-2000. There's some other ships about along those lines but they are either quite a bit rarer or more expensive.

The YG-4210 actually works really well. I'm basically going to have them find it sitting on the other landing pad, with its clearly underworld crew, dead during the events of Debts to Pay.

Thanks all.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Barracuda Bang! posted:

The YG-4210 actually works really well. I'm basically going to have them find it sitting on the other landing pad, with its clearly underworld crew, dead during the events of Debts to Pay.

Thanks all.

I ended up having a party of 6 and throwing them a YT-2400, which is 10,000 credits over the suggested amount the book gives for awarding the party and alternate star ship. We'll see how that goes. They understandably didn't want to pilot a YT-1300.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is there a thread for the Star Wars D20 game? Had the books for a while, and now everyone wants to play after the new movie came out.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

Is there a thread for the Star Wars D20 game? Had the books for a while, and now everyone wants to play after the new movie came out.

I dont think theres a thread, maybe try the retro d20 thread? That seems like a pretty rough game to try to use though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, there's this d20 thread.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

FISHMANPET posted:

There's a luxury yacht in one of the books that's really close to the suggested starting ship price, I always thought that could be an interesting choice.

I gave my party a yacht with the option to sell it and buy something more practical, but they figured the respectability that comes along with yacht ownership was worth the lack of combat prowess.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

We started the Force & Destiny starter adventure tonight and, uh... It opened with us finding the dead body of a Rodian in a hidden compartment on our ship. So that's what the smell was. Ew ew ewww. :gonk:

The system seems fun, tho, and we got off to a ridiculous start as we bullshat our way into an university by claiming our weird hermit (who carries a sword, dresses in hide robes and thinks he's destined to be a Jedi) was actually a famous professor of "interpretive anthropology". Complete with entirely fabricated articles sliced into the local holonet. It felt like we were playing an Aaron Allston novel. :3:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just paid off Nexus of Power and Special Modifications at my FLGS. Time to obsessively check the status on the FFG website for them to make it off the boat.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

My buddy has finally found some time for more RPG-ing, and we're looking to run another campaign, this time using Force and Destiny. We'll be playing Post O-66, but Pre-OT, and I've rolled up an Ataru Seeker/Pathfinder who will be using Cortosis Gauntlets instead of a Lightsaber. We've (tentatively) house ruled that I can use Agility instead of Brawn for Brawl checks in lieu of Lightsaber (from the Ataru Striker talent in the tree), and my buddy is playing a Sentinel/Shadow that has given up Lightsabers in lieu of a Trusty Blaster.

I'm super looking forward to a Sullustan (me) and Twi'lek (him) taking down mooks without using Lightsabers.

Have any of you done any house rulings similar to this, swapping a different weapon type with Lightsabers to adapt the skills in the tree to it? Our GM is just a little wary that (especially with my buddy's blaster) the added bonuses for the tree might make us a bit destructive. I figure we'll be fine and either play it up narratively or just increase the strength of the opposition, but our GM is hasty.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

jivjov posted:

I just paid off Nexus of Power and Special Modifications at my FLGS. Time to obsessively check the status on the FFG website for them to make it off the boat.

Let us know when they arrive, I've got to know what the new things they put in Special Modifications are (I'm a sucker for crafting in any RPG setting).

I think it's pretty strange that Bounty Hunter is one of the last EoE sourcebooks they plan on making - you would think, after Smuggler maybe, that Bounty Hunter is the other quintessential "EoE character" class. Han Solo, Boba Fett.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

My buddy has finally found some time for more RPG-ing, and we're looking to run another campaign, this time using Force and Destiny. We'll be playing Post O-66, but Pre-OT, and I've rolled up an Ataru Seeker/Pathfinder who will be using Cortosis Gauntlets instead of a Lightsaber. We've (tentatively) house ruled that I can use Agility instead of Brawn for Brawl checks in lieu of Lightsaber (from the Ataru Striker talent in the tree), and my buddy is playing a Sentinel/Shadow that has given up Lightsabers in lieu of a Trusty Blaster.

I'm super looking forward to a Sullustan (me) and Twi'lek (him) taking down mooks without using Lightsabers.

Have any of you done any house rulings similar to this, swapping a different weapon type with Lightsabers to adapt the skills in the tree to it? Our GM is just a little wary that (especially with my buddy's blaster) the added bonuses for the tree might make us a bit destructive. I figure we'll be fine and either play it up narratively or just increase the strength of the opposition, but our GM is hasty.

The game is about being star wars heroes. Assuming you want to be the kind of character you see in the films, nothing you've done is going to be a problem. For the GM it is super tirvial to just add a stack of HP to any Nemesis/Rival character you need to if for some reason numbers are getting too high (they really shouldn't be too much above normal though) and you should be just carving your way through Minion enemies anyway.

Theres only two PCs then? If so the limited action economy is going to make everything fine to play anyway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zodack posted:

Let us know when they arrive, I've got to know what the new things they put in Special Modifications are (I'm a sucker for crafting in any RPG setting).

I think it's pretty strange that Bounty Hunter is one of the last EoE sourcebooks they plan on making - you would think, after Smuggler maybe, that Bounty Hunter is the other quintessential "EoE character" class. Han Solo, Boba Fett.

The order in which sourcebooks are announced is not necessarily the order in which they were planned.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zodack posted:

Also the Bounty Hunter is probably one of the most all together classes from my play experience, versus the desperately in need of help that was the base smuggler.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zodack posted:

I think it's a cross between kingcom's point about the Bounty Hunter not really "needing" the supplement, and possibly a desire to hold back one of the more anticipated career splats til the end to drive long term sales.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

I think it's a cross between kingcom's point about the Bounty Hunter not really "needing" the supplement, and possibly a desire to hold back one of the more anticipated career splats til the end to drive long term sales.

Oh yeah thats a pretty good point, if they want to close of the line and put out the Bounty Hunter book with some Boba Fett movie hype that would probably be pretty sensible.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I hadn't considered sales but that's a really good point. I realize that a plan and release schedule are not necessarily lined up, but I just assumed that more fans would be interested in playing Smugglers or Bounty Hunters than, say, Colonist Entrepreneurs or Entertainers - and so FF would continue to raise enthusiasm for their game by releasing the more popular stuff quickly.

On the flip side it definitely makes more sense that they would release something that popular last. Bounty Hunter is already very solid, I'm more griping because I would like to see everything else that would come with the book, such as Gear and Vehicles.

homullus posted:

The order in which sourcebooks are announced is not necessarily the order in which they were planned.

Yeah, "plan on releasing" was more along the lines of what I meant. Silly choice of words on my part.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 11, 2016

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

kingcom posted:

The game is about being star wars heroes. Assuming you want to be the kind of character you see in the films, nothing you've done is going to be a problem. For the GM it is super tirvial to just add a stack of HP to any Nemesis/Rival character you need to if for some reason numbers are getting too high (they really shouldn't be too much above normal though) and you should be just carving your way through Minion enemies anyway.

Theres only two PCs then? If so the limited action economy is going to make everything fine to play anyway.

Yeah, for now there's only two of us, though we may acquire a third in about 3-4 sessions, depending on her interest. I figured It'd be fine, but I'll reiterate to our GM that we've got almost nothing to worry about.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zodack posted:

Yeah, "plan on releasing" was more along the lines of what I meant. Silly choice of words on my part.

What I am saying is that for all I know, it was the one they intended to come first and planned to have released first, but that its development hit one or more snags. It happened to one other EotE product that I know of. In my limited experience (from the few I have worked on), they do not announce a sourcebook until it is quite far along in the process. Like, all writing and editing and maybe even initial layout and proofreading done. If anything at all happens to delay the book before the announcement, I don't think you get the announcement, and once you get it, very big wheels are turning.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh man that was a lot of fun, just finished GM'ing the EotE beginner game. First time GM'ing so I was caught out a few times with what the guys decided to do but we talked it out if I was really stumped. I mostly got caught out by lots of advantages with no sucess and vice versa. The cantina scene ended hilariously quickly with a stun grenade into a group of Gamorreans, though the bartender was less then happy. The junkyard scene was some of the worst bartering/intimidation attempts I've ever seen and I'm still not sure how they managed to walk away with the HMRI.

I expected them to end up having a firefight at the docking control, but it was just a "walk in, beep boop, walk out" thing which surprised everyone. Again, surprisingly - the water tower got used in the Stormtrooper encounter too, I guess there's some weird hivemind going on. Finally the best failed bluff was my friend playing the protocol droid trying to get past Trex's security droid. He was trying to bullshit his way in with some vague "I work for your boss" kind of thing but they were too stubborn, so he ended up getting flustered and came up with this golden lie "How happy do you think our boss, what's his name again? Tex? Rex? Listen, I'm his Imperial pest control dietician and I need to inspect his diet! For pests! poo poo."

Needless to say shots were fired. They also have a possibly not really dead Trandoshan still on the ships boarding ramp.

Going to go through the AoR beginner game next week to refresh on the rules and introduce our 4th who wasn't around for this weekend.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

ijyt posted:

Oh man that was a lot of fun, just finished GM'ing the EotE beginner game. First time GM'ing so I was caught out a few times with what the guys decided to do but we talked it out if I was really stumped. I mostly got caught out by lots of advantages with no sucess and vice versa.

This is almost exactly what happened to me tonight. First time GMing for a bunch of friends, really stumped on how to handle failed rolls with advantage or Triumph especially. We came up with things, but I never felt they were quite adequate.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Zodack posted:

This is almost exactly what happened to me tonight. First time GMing for a bunch of friends, really stumped on how to handle failed rolls with advantage or Triumph especially. We came up with things, but I never felt they were quite adequate.

So, is the GM supposed to come up with stuff in that situation, or the player that rolled? Or is it even more free form than that, i.e. you collaborate and arrive at a solution as a group.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You can do any of those. It's better to switch it up between GM and player, or be collaborative at least some of the time, since it's bad form to put all the work on the GM and it helps keep everyone involved.

The key thing to remember when dealing with them is that a failure means you didn't get what you wanted with that dice roll (or at least not in the way you wanted/without cost, depending on the roll). Advantage means something good happened. Triumph means something great happened. Throw a grenade and it missed, Advantage might mean that where it hit hosed up cover for an opponent and gives the next person to attack a Boost Die. Triumph might mean it caused the whole place to be unstable near the enemy, so they've all got Setback dies or need to run away. Threat means the character threw the grenade a little too close and now they've got a Setback die next attack (or their party member does). Despair means they hosed up and the grenade hit something bad, doesn't have to be a character but it's something they care about.

Be free with those boost/setback dice in general.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Generally in combat situations I let the players choose, and outside I choose. It's easier for players to metagame a skillcheck, and it's also easier for the GM to think up some kind of alternative effect.

A lot of the time it wasn't a problem, but sometimes I was honestly stumped because I had not thought out that particular interaction with alternative effects in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zodack posted:

Generally in combat situations I let the players choose, and outside I choose. It's easier for players to metagame a skillcheck, and it's also easier for the GM to think up some kind of alternative effect.

A lot of the time it wasn't a problem, but sometimes I was honestly stumped because I had not thought out that particular interaction with alternative effects in mind.

Yeah, it was especially annoying on the easy skill checks where I assumed it wouldn't be a problem. Lesson learned.