Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Not My Leg posted:

(for a modern example, look at all the companies with some variation of A, A+, or AAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P77XTSWrfNs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
When I read a political cartoon about Obama, I like to see if I can use my imagination to read the speech bubble in Obama's voice. Trying to read a Ramirez or Branco Obama in his voice is really, really hard.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

I've never watched snow before. Is it soothing?

Watching a blizzard accumulate (ideally in the morning when you would normally be getting ready to go to work) is about one of the most relaxing things that I think there is. There really aren't many things that are more soothing, to me. It's been a disappointing year for snow in Oklahoma. :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Classic politoon word salad right there, I can't even begin to sort it out.

quote:

The mask/sign thing is dumb.

e: Also, even better than watching snow fall from inside, going outside, especially if you live in a rural area, and hearing it. If the snow is heavy enough, you can basically hear it land on all the branches and the ground, it's a very faint hissing sound. So nice.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

YOU DON'T EVEN EXIST ANYMORE!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

And here I thought the point of the Animal Nuz cartoon was that everyone behaves in a polite manner, showing that the Democrats are much better at debating policies than the Republicans.

Rorus Raz posted:

Now is the winter of our middle-class ennui.

Made glorious summer by this son of York?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mister Beeg posted:

I actually laughed at this one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
MacKay had some kind of medical procedure and took a couple weeks off, but he's now back with this gem:

It's some local Hamilton thing but I think it's worth sharing the accompanying article this time.

quote:

An official with the Colombian consulate says it’s not up to him to say whether Coun. Lloyd Ferguson should apologize for controversial comments about his country being backwards.

“I leave that to the City of Hamilton,” Toronto-based trade commissioner Alvaro Concha said Thursday.

But far from entertaining apologies, an unrepentant Ferguson is on the attack.

He’s “offended” that his reference to Colombia as a “backwards” place where the only wealthy are “drug lords” and chickens ride buses has been branded as stereotyping by politicians and members of the public.

“I wasn’t making that crap up; it’s what I visibly saw,” said Ferguson, who visited Colombia 12 years ago for a weeklong business conference.

“I don’t like being accused of stereotyping because I wasn’t stereotyping. I witnessed it first hand.”

Ferguson made his controversial comments during a budget meeting this week. He was responding to the city’s transit director using a quote from the Mayor of Bogota, Colombia’s capital city, stating a developed country is not where the poor have cars, but where the rich use public transit.

Calling the ensuing kerfuffle a “tempest in a teapot,” the Ancaster councillor and police board chair says he was objecting to benchmarking Hamilton against Bogota, a city of eight million.

Coun. Mathew Green immediately took Ferguson to task for stereotyping. When the story went mainstream, it lit up social media and online commentary. Many demanded Ferguson apologize. The pitchfork-and-torch mob called him a racist and xenophobe.

One twit on Twitter accused Mayor Fred Eisenberger of agreeing with Ferguson because he was silent on the issue. Eisenberger pushed back, calling that and other comments as “outrageous” as Ferguson’s own. (Continued: Hamilton Spectator)

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Mister Beeg posted:

This is the greatest thing ever and I'm not even some Hillary apologist type

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mister Beeg posted:

Holy poo poo, this is like the best political cartoon I've ever seen.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

"32% Chance of Crane" :ughh:

Can somebody explain the joke? Googling leads me to construction crane accidents, but I don't see how that can be relevant.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chewbaccanator posted:

Can somebody explain the joke? Googling leads me to construction crane accidents, but I don't see how that can be relevant.
There was a very specific crane accident in Manhattan yesterday, isn't that it?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Is this mirrored? Even if it is it still doesn't make much sense.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Chewbaccanator posted:

Crane rhymes with rain.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

There was a very specific crane accident in Manhattan yesterday, isn't that it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvL4obCrbQ

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Not My Leg posted:

And those companies chose "Acme [X]" because "acme" is a real word meaning "something that is perfect."

More precisely, it's the highest point, the summit, the pinnacle, the zenith, the apogee. In other words, it's all downhill from there.

You know, if I heard someone telling that you need birth control to take a drink in a bar, I'd consider this a warning to never set foot in that bar. I can't think of any explanation for such a dialog that doesn't involve rohypnol or an equivalent drug.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cat Mattress posted:

You know, if I heard someone telling that you need birth control to take a drink in a bar, I'd consider this a warning to never set foot in that bar. I can't think of any explanation for such a dialog that doesn't involve rohypnol or an equivalent drug.

I believe that's the point yes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Bok, who is unable to come up with an actual example of overbearing government and cripplingly stupid managing to come out with the government won't let you drink if you could get pregnant.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Cat Mattress posted:

The CDC recently warned women that if they drink alcohol, they should be on birth control.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Elsewhere I read something to the effect that to the CDC, the womb is a Schrodinger's box that unless you constantly look inside, it must be treated as if it both does and doesn't have a baby in it at all times.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Europe: 'Britannia' speaks her mind - Chris Riddell on Tory grassroot reaction to David Cameron’s EU negotiations" Also Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (film), out this week (which has Martin Rowson artwork in the opening credits)

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Don't call 911 or anything, just stand there and keep swearing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

That's gotta be the least flattering self-insert I've ever seen in a comic.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

zakharov posted:

Don't call 911 or anything, just stand there and keep swearing.

Hey, no big deal, it only killed one person and badly injured a couple of others

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The CDC thing is actually terrifying, but BoK is just using it as an excuse to whine about government, and not that rape is so pervasive in our country that we're just telling women to brace themselves.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
An old Mr. Fish cartoon that I actually laughed at:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

"32% Chance of Crane" :ughh:

idgi but everyone keeps saying someone died but doesn't say who!!!!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgCP7pW6xuA

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm going to go have kids just so I can send them to public school in a few years, that's loving rad.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Cool thing about schizophrenia is how volatile an individual's actual "beliefs" are and how they can change without warning. So it's odd but not surprising that Dees has morphed into a Christian wacko.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

wow new yorkers have like, the worst accent in the world

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

yeah i know i was dumb and didn't check the last page >_<

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

DO YOU SCIENCE BRO?

Are we totally sure Dees isn't a deep-cover troll?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

one of those math nerds who got into Wall Street, i.e. someone the world is better off without anyway http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/construction-crane-collapses-manhattan-injures-2-article-1.2521130

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This classroom looks awesome! No idea why we're supposed to be against this.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
FYI: it was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in the UK and they changed it to sorcerer's stone in the US because it wasn't satanic enough for public schools.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

tacodaemon posted:

one of those math nerds who got into Wall Street, i.e. someone the world is better off without anyway http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/construction-crane-collapses-manhattan-injures-2-article-1.2521130

excuse me while i feel bad for his family and not be a weirdo who has no empathy for other people

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Webguy posted:

DO YOU SCIENCE BRO?

Are we totally sure Dees isn't a deep-cover troll?

Maybe he's like tobleronetriangular or niggerstomper58 but he didn't stop when he started getting mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

excuse me while i feel bad for his family and not be a weirdo who has no empathy for other people

anyone who would marry a wall street quant is human garbage

• Locked thread