Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Agent355 posted:

I had a conure who absolutely loved kisses. It was incredibly common for him to climb across my chest and mush his face into my lips and make dumb noises.

Amadeus loves kisses too, he makes the sound and everything. If he's hanging out on my desk and I move my face towards him he'll stretch up to give me a little kiss.

When I got home from work and let him out today he climbed straight up my arm to my shoulder and kissed my cheek. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And now jerkface is down my shirt purring. We shall see how poorly this goes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

I had a conure who absolutely loved kisses. It was incredibly common for him to climb across my chest and mush his face into my lips and make dumb noises.

Tons of bites on my fingers, one on my ear. None on my lips.

:iiam:
This is Judah too. There are some areas that he loves and hasn't ever bitten in the decade I've had him, for whatever dumb potato reason he has.

H110Hawk posted:

And now jerkface is down my shirt purring. We shall see how poorly this goes.
RIP your nipple :ohdear:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
how do you get a toucan down a shirt????

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

how do you get a toucan down a shirt????

Carefully

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

Carefully
Getting them in is easy, getting them out is the real trick

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Poof!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tendai posted:

RIP your nipple :ohdear:

Eh, I had two right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Battle Pigeon posted:

Nut please

I SAID NUT PLEASE

GIVE ME THE loving NUT

NUUUUUUUUT

thank u

another?

Mein wife points out the double entendre here.

Ohtori x Steve NC-17 slashfic.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Agent355 posted:

I am a human who absolutely loves kisses. It is incredibly common for me to splay my bird across my chest and mush my lips into his face and make dumb noises.

Fixed for my home situation

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Oh my :love: What an adorably floofy potato

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Shy is Very Upset. I put the bath bowl in and of course she immediately jumped in and started delicately flippy flapping her wings like a princess while slowly doubling in size. She gets out and OMG! Drama got in! Oh no! So she sat there looking like a tennis ball making distressed little tweeting noises until he was done and is now sat in the bath still tweeting to herself in a sulk.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Not sure whether this question works better here or the 'birding' thread and didn't spot anything on the subject in the OP or last couple of pages: does anyone here have experience with befriending crows? Any advice on how to go about doing so? I've no intention of making 'em pets—the idea of having the occasional visiting flock leave me gifts in exchange for treats sounds adorable :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Not sure whether this question works better here or the 'birding' thread and didn't spot anything on the subject in the OP or last couple of pages: does anyone here have experience with befriending crows? Any advice on how to go about doing so? I've no intention of making 'em pets—the idea of having the occasional visiting flock leave me gifts in exchange for treats sounds adorable :3:

Be aware that there can and will be collateral damage (poop) and your neighbors will hate you for it.

So you should probably not do this unless you do not have lots of neighbors.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kenshin posted:

So you should probably not do this unless you do not have lots of neighbors.
I've got an empty cemetery on one side and an abandoned rambler on the other, I don't think there's much of anyone to bother.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've got an empty cemetery on one side and an abandoned rambler on the other, I don't think there's much of anyone to bother.

Then go nuts! Just be prepared for them to also hang out in your yard and squawk until you feed them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh you should totally do it then, put seeds and fat balls on the wall/fence that separates your garden from the cemetery. It'll really freak out the local teenagers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Look up their diet first. Make sure you aren't giving them a bunch of "junk food" - though a small amount isn't going to kill them. Be present but not close. Don't actually try to hand feed them anything if you value your fingers and eyes. Leave them puzzles if you want, like junk food they have to "work for" in addition to the regular food. (Grubs in a jar just out of reach of their beaks.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Peanuts in the shell are apparently fun treats for crows, as they have to crack them open to get the tasty nut (and the nut is very tasty).

I'll see if I can find that German crow scientist who befriends and trains wild crows and gets them to learn how to solve puzzles, like opening lunchboxes, untying shoelaces, and "fishing" for food with a string.

e: unrelated picture:

Toucan: "*honk* ...Hahahaha lol"

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 6, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Peanuts in the shell are apparently fun treats for crows, as they have to crack them open to get the tasty nut (and the nut is very tasty).

I'll see if I can find that German crow scientist who befriends and trains wild crows and gets them to learn how to solve puzzles, like opening lunchboxes, untying shoelaces, and "fishing" for food with a string.

Ripley is adorable :3:

This is the video I had in mind when I suggested grubs in a jar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYZnsO2ZgWo

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

this is terrifying, to me

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

You may already be aware of this article, but just in case--it has a couple of basic tips in addition to a really great story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My mother took care of my birds while I was sick for a few months and spent literally thousands on them at the vet. I told her I felt like the vet was a well intentioned worry wart that was projecting her issues onto her clients. My mom, who is a hypochondriac that believes literally ANYTHING coming from a book or what she perceives as an authority figure, just assumes I was a horrible person at taking care of my birds and that they were both very sick.

Fast forward to me having my birds for three months and being told they were very ill. The parakeet is really old. The cockatiel definitely has a vitamin deficiency that makes some feathers around her beak crusty. BUT lo and behold my apparent birds on deaths door are still plucking along just fine. I wish I had enough cash to get a second opinion on them, but I'm going through a bankruptcy from my medical bills.

Basically, I'm just venting a little about hearing for months, "YOUR BIRDS ARE SO SICK AND GONNA DIE IMMEDIATELY!" when they are doing just fine. The parakeet is indeed old and the cockatiel has a vitamin A deficiency but they aren't laying on the bottom of the drat cage.

I miss living with room mates who were also bird people. Being single, and broke, with birds is hard.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is that you in that pic Crows? Tell me thats a Brisbane pet store where you can meet a toucan.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Is that you in that pic Crows? Tell me thats a Brisbane pet store where you can meet a toucan.

Sadly, that is not me! There is a galah who loves biting at a pet store near me though.

Also, here is the German/Austrian (can't remember) crow doctor. He's great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It's Ripley the toucan. The owners post on reddit. There are some cute videos of him on youtube as well.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Just informed tonight that the last of our Zebra finches we had re-homed to a friend died. He was about 7-8 years old! Had a good life with his other bird parents. We had Zebra and Society finches before we had Scout.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've never seen a toucan in person, really want too though :(

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Marty was really good at making kissing noises when you kissed her, and she'd jerk her neck back and floof out at the same time when you did, but now she goes "SCREEEEEE" right when you say the "kiss" in "gimmie a kiss".

Birds are strange.

Also someone remind me to film her aggression behaviours when she doesn't want to be pet. They're hilarious. She poofs out, moves her head up and down and goes "Wacka wacka ee ee stop it stop it wacka wacka!" for about 2 minutes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I swear, Judah's learned how to say "really?" recently. I kind of thought I heard something in that "ReaLLY?" inflection I use sometimes in talking to him and the cat, and today I got home from a night away and I was doing the usual talk and attention to both of my co-dependent animals, and when I said "You ARE a pretty boy!" in response to him saying "pryi-EEH oirrrr" at me, there was a very clear "Reh-EEH" in response.

:neckbeard:

You fuckin' go Judah, you handsome middle-aged genius.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

code:
Teen-	age	Mu-	tant	Nin-	ja	Tur-	tles

Migh-	ty	Figh-	ty	Bi-	tey	Whi-	tey

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potato Salad posted:

code:

Bastards that'll bite you; COCKY POWER!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

code:

they dont so much fight as gaston keeps trying to bite the doves when they eat his food

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drat, Pion is a bully.

Putni is still very wary towards me, and shows maximum caution when he mans (?) up to eat some food I'm offering through the cage bars. However, Putni starts to scream when Pion leaves sight, such as when I'm bringing him to the bathroom for a shower, or even just hides himself behind a curtain.
Putni has clearly chosen Pion as a point of safety in the new, scary home.

But Pion is very much attached to me. He doesn't really care about Putni's screams when he himself is hidden, however Pion does react when I leave or make motions to leave.

Since I still don't feel comfortable letting Putni out of the cage, I've instead tried placing Pion in Putni's cage. And they really don't get along.
It seems Putni tries to play with Pion, but Pion won't let him.
Pion soon hops onto a toy hanging in the cage, and then whenever Putni tries to just touch that toy, Pion lunges out at him. Pion also tries to push Putni away if I offer food through the bars. And Pion won't let Putni near the food bowl when he himself is eating.
All of that just from a few minutes of 2birds1cage.

Pion's back in his own cage now, and I really don't know what to do.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Put the cages near each other and let them get used to each other. It's standard territorial behavior and you need a new cage 2- 3x the size of the one in the picture for any hope of them getting along, and even then it's not guaranteed. Think of them as new step sisters who have been made to share a room, original girl is going to be all "OMG don't touch my stuff!" only with beaks.

edit: I use a net to get mine back in the cage, two of them have worked out that going back in when they see the net come out is the better option. Those two are not potatoes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The cages have been near each other for all of the two weeks I've had Putni so far, and right next to each other for the past week.

I guess I should try to clean up the room some more (to have fewer death traps around) and get a net or something to catch Putni with... just to let him get a bit of exercise.
Could it also be that Pion makes himself the superior since he gets to climb around on Putni's cage?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They need space and time really, Putni needs to be able to get away from Pion if he's being an arse. They may never get along and be bonded cage buddies, or they might grow to like each other in months or years, it's just a case of letting them go at their own pace and it's nothing you have done wrong, it's potatoes being potatoes.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah, just give Putni the opportunity to climb out of his cage whenever you can and one day he'll take it, they'll interact outside in more neutral territory and go from there. Try not to let the bad experiences build up and sour them for the future, no more putting them in each others cages.

E: I'm sat in bird room with a chilled Ohtori and Steve eating breakfast, partner took Inko to the shower as a novelty and to see what happens, and the noises coming from the bathroom lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

nielsm posted:

The cages have been near each other for all of the two weeks I've had Putni so far, and right next to each other for the past week.

I guess I should try to clean up the room some more (to have fewer death traps around) and get a net or something to catch Putni with... just to let him get a bit of exercise.
Could it also be that Pion makes himself the superior since he gets to climb around on Putni's cage?

It could take months with the cages next to each other before they become comfortable (if they ever do). And yes you need a much larger cage for both of them to be in at the same time.