Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I didn't play at launch, but I haven't had issues like that. There were some bugs they fixed with weapon swapping, though. Swapping is now a much higher-priority action, so you're less likely to accidentally cancel out of a weapon swap. They also mostly fixed the "packmaster can grab you through walls" issue, although someone did get pulled out of the level once the other day (and luckily got pulled back in by a different packmaster).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

edit: double post

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2016

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I didn't play at launch either, so all I know is that when the hammer swings, nothing remains in front of me.

Digirat posted:

I will never understand why people take individual loot drops so goddamn seriously in this game.

When you're just starting out, having such a limited selection of weapons can make things kind of tedious. Once you find some weapons you really click with, loot drops don't really matter that much anymore. Until you reach that point, I can understand the frustration.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gimnbo posted:

I didn't play at launch either, so all I know is that when the hammer swings, nothing remains in front of me.

When you're just starting out, having such a limited selection of weapons can make things kind of tedious. Once you find some weapons you really click with, loot drops don't really matter that much anymore. Until you reach that point, I can understand the frustration.

Yeah if you haven't internalized how the game's mechanics work it can be frustrating. When you're struggling to get out the gate, it seems pretty punishing to have the most incremental reward possible.

Hopefully you know, you stay around and play more because it's actually fun and not because you're hung up on the ROI of 30 whole minutes of gameplay.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

No lie I would smash rats even if there was no progression of any kind. I know this because I've spent the last 20 or so games at least with the same load out and do not regret any of it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Now if you shits would stop talking about smashing rats and actually do so and jump on mumble it'd be nice :v:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Now if you shits would stop talking about smashing rats and actually do so and jump on mumble it'd be nice :v:

But its easier to talk about it than actually do it. I can talk about smashing things all day long, but to actually DO said smashing requires you to ACTUALLY smash. and Grim cant Smash :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I play an ARPG, if the first hero I kill doesn't drop gear I want then I refund it immediately.

Mendrian posted:

No lie I would smash rats even if there was no progression of any kind. I know this because I've spent the last 20 or so games at least with the same load out and do not regret any of it.

I wonder how these people would have handled left 4 dead, where there was no long term progression and you just played a campaign with your buddies and had a good time and that was it. As in, you actually played the game and that was all you cared about.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

When I play an ARPG, if the first hero I kill doesn't drop gear I want then I refund it immediately.
you joke but this would've saved a lot of people a lot of time playing Torchlight 1

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Torchlight 1 was some bizarre experiment in making a machine that manufactures boredom.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Digirat posted:

I wonder how these people would have handled left 4 dead, where there was no long term progression and you just played a campaign with your buddies and had a good time and that was it. As in, you actually played the game and that was all you cared about.

They probably did play l4d, and were fine because there wasn't a loot system to get frustrated at when they didn't get any decent loot, especially when the loot is the only progression in the game and if you made all the right moves to improve your chances. People are bad at probability and expectations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Digirat posted:

I do have to wonder if these treadmills really do draw more people in/draw them in longer.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Treadmills create expectations merely by existing. It's the whole watched pot problem. You don't care about the loot until you don't have it. Every time you roll another white hag bane it's like an electric shock to your fun zone. This despite the game being enjoyable.

Anyone who thinks you need loot to progress is playing the game wrong imho

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I starting playing this, and the bright wizard is totally my poo poo. I am saving teammates captured by the hunter, killing big blobs of enemies with "Oh shot" fireballs. Sniping enemies 8 screens away. It have not played the other class, except in the tabern, but I can't see how they can compare to this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every class gets pretty drat amazing when used well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Has framerate and general performance gotten better since launch? I haven't played in quite a while.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Every patch has optimization notes pretty much so it has gotten better but there's still some frame rate/frames dropping issues that are noticeable

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They add optimizations almost every patch. I haven't paid attention to know whether the frame rate is noticeably better now but it's definitely not worse.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Much of this discussion has firmly planted in me the desire to play L4D2 again, so thank you all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Every patch has optimization notes pretty much so it has gotten better but there's still some frame rate/frames dropping issues that are noticeable

Alright, guess I'll be giving it another go soon

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

When you're just starting out, having such a limited selection of weapons can make things kind of tedious.

Yeah, if each hero started with an un-meltable selection of every white weapon so at least you could try out every single kind of weapon right away and settle on a pairing that feels right for each character, I think loot would feel a lot less painful to new players. As is, I was running Horn with bots for a while just to get certain things I liked and replace things I'd foolishly melted down. (And probably should have been running Man the Ramparts.)

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, if each hero started with an un-meltable selection of every white weapon so at least you could try out every single kind of weapon right away and settle on a pairing that feels right for each character, I think loot would feel a lot less painful to new players. As is, I was running Horn with bots for a while just to get certain things I liked and replace things I'd foolishly melted down. (And probably should have been running Man the Ramparts.)

i know when i started after christmas i had at least 2 or 3 options for range and melee for every character

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Definitely played with a dude named That's So Skaven tonight hahaha

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Gimnbo posted:

I was pretty pissed at drops initially until I learned you get better loot at harder difficulties. My advice for progression for anyone is run normal and try to learn the maps until you get some greens. Once you have a couple of greens, start running hard mode. You want to learn how to get a feel for block consistently. You can do this at any mode but the damage at hard mode is just enough where the runs arent in too much jeopardy if your team is decent. After running hard mode a couple of times, you should have some blues and an occasional exotic which will make hard runs easier. Now you should qualify to run nightmare. In nightmare mode, you need to polish off your blocking skills, roger dodging skills and teamwork skills because it's essential to run in cataclysm mode. Then you pretty farm nightmare mode forever since cata runs are rare due to risk/rewards.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

whitey delenda est posted:

Definitely played with a dude named That's So Skaven tonight hahaha

Wait seriously? That was my handle like 2 months ago, I changed it back to Wintertime Thrillhouse after Christmas.

Somebody stole my joke.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's a guy with 150 hours in Vermintide who's only level 30. He just routinely plays Nightmare only, fails, dies, and only occasionally gets carried to victory. He doesn't have hard cleared or act 3 on any difficulty. I think it's really cool that if that guy shows up in my game, votekick won't keep him out for more than 20 seconds.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There are people with 150 hours in Vermintide who are only level 30. They routinely play Nightmare only, fail, die, and only occasionally get carried to victory. They don't have hard cleared or act 3 on any difficulty. I think it's really cool that if these guys shows up in my game, votekick won't keep them out for more than 20 seconds.

Adjusted for accuracy.

Playing past 1am EST is a kind of death: the death of fun. I really don't know why people think that at level 20 with green gear and no conception of the block button that Nightmare is going to be their jam. Joining a server is absolutely Russian roulette the times I get to play lately, so I've just resorted to hosting most of the time. I've been doing a lot of Cata lately too, so getting back to the, uh, lightheartedness of Nightmare is extra frustrating when your teammates have been or are being lobotomized.

On the flip side, I also joined the end of a Cata run the other night where the party literally could not die/get downed and everyone was invisible. At first I thought it was just laggy/bugged because, well, Vermintide, but when I asked what the hell happened the guys basically spilled that they were using some sort of hacks to just grind out cata with impunity. I rolled a 7, got a red, and ditched the server. Perhaps the most unsatisfying thing that's happened with this game so far. :smith:

I just need Supply & Demand and Wizard's Tower to finish up Cataclysm at this point. Any goons that are willing to join up for the most wretchedly FUN level finales, I need you! :getin:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Syrnn posted:

Adjusted for accuracy.

Playing past 1am EST is a kind of death: the death of fun. I really don't know why people think that at level 20 with green gear and no conception of the block button that Nightmare is going to be their jam. Joining a server is absolutely Russian roulette the times I get to play lately, so I've just resorted to hosting most of the time. I've been doing a lot of Cata lately too, so getting back to the, uh, lightheartedness of Nightmare is extra frustrating when your teammates have been or are being lobotomized.

On the flip side, I also joined the end of a Cata run the other night where the party literally could not die/get downed and everyone was invisible. At first I thought it was just laggy/bugged because, well, Vermintide, but when I asked what the hell happened the guys basically spilled that they were using some sort of hacks to just grind out cata with impunity. I rolled a 7, got a red, and ditched the server. Perhaps the most unsatisfying thing that's happened with this game so far. :smith:

I just need Supply & Demand and Wizard's Tower to finish up Cataclysm at this point. Any goons that are willing to join up for the most wretchedly FUN level finales, I need you! :getin:

I've been seeing a lot of people jumping in above their paygrade. I like to grind out Hard with the occasional Nightmare capstone. I've been seeing a lot of level 0's jump in on Hard. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think Hard is super difficult or anything but diving in with no experience with the levels or the game mechanics or whatever (with questions like, 'Why did my maximum health drop?' and 'How do I block?') is weird and surprisingly frequent lately. I don't know why this wave of newbies are so adventurous.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Just gotta say, some starter weapons work fine in nightmare, like the starter blunderbuss, oneshots lines of rats and twoshots most specials :getin:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mendrian posted:

I've been seeing a lot of people jumping in above their paygrade. I like to grind out Hard with the occasional Nightmare capstone. I've been seeing a lot of level 0's jump in on Hard. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think Hard is super difficult or anything but diving in with no experience with the levels or the game mechanics or whatever (with questions like, 'Why did my maximum health drop?' and 'How do I block?') is weird and surprisingly frequent lately. I don't know why this wave of newbies are so adventurous.

This is pretty much my experience as well. Of course there's also the infrequent adorable newbie who gets super excited about tome locations and "secret" information.

also I am Real Bad at pistols-man. I always seem to miss shots while I'm moving. Ugh.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I always try to help guide the newbies who get in over their heads, since I figure I'll probably have to play with them in the future too, and I might as well try to impart some useful information so they don't suck as bad the next time I see them. Also, it's sometimes good practice to see if you can carry the team in Nightmare. Playing with bad teammates is probably the #1 thing that's caused me to really hone my blocking skills, since I know none of them will have my back.

But it's easy to burn out when all your teammates are inexperienced or downright dumb.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah it's definitely improved my blocking. I'm at a point where my average health item usage in Nightmare is only if health is going to be left behind or it's more efficient to self-heal to save multiple bleedouts. But it definitely only goes so far. If everyone around you faceplants during a finale, you're probably hosed no matter what.

I'd like to step up to more catas but my regular partner still needs to finish nightmare clears and the quality of people who join Nightmare can still be pretty shocking. We had a guy join us on nightmare Garden who was low level enough that we're a little skeptical but whatever. Then as things go tits up we learn he's only playing elf because all his regulars are taken, he's never played the elf before in his life, and he's using all white gear.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Digirat posted:

Every class gets pretty drat amazing when used well.

Except for the Dwarf. His weapons are all bad or things that Kruber does better. Replacing him with Sienna fills in for a drakefire dwarf.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 7, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Because dwarves are amazing by default.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Except for the Dwarf. His weapons are all bad or things that Kruber does better. Replacing him with Sienna fills in for a drakefire dwarf.

Several of his weapons are identical to kruber's so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that kruber's versions are better, while the axe and shield is better than either of kruber's shield options. Sienna isn't a drakefire dwarf because she can't use the axe and shield which I'd argue is the most powerful melee weapon in the game, and even if you could make a case that the class is somehow overall worse then kruber even when given the same weapons, he's still amazing when used well.

Comparing their weapons as closely as possible, you basically get this:

Bardin | Kruber
Axe and shield > Sword and shield
Hammer and shield = Mace and shield
Axe < Sword
Hammer = Mace
Greathammer = Greathammer
Greataxe < Greatsword

Handgun/Crossbow = Handgun
Drakefires = Repeater
Grudge raker > Blunderbuss

You could make arguments one way or another on a few of these, but no matter what they are pretty close.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't know the exact stats but the speed difference on sword and shield's shield-punch is pretty amazing. Not that I think it relegates dwarf to second-class status or anything, just saying is all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sword and shield/axe and shield have the same charge attack speed as far as I can tell, while mace and shield/hammer and shield are equal but almost twice as slow. So both characters have a good shield and a not so good shield.

If there is a difference between the speed of sword and shield/axe and shield, it's narrow enough that I haven't noticed it and the axe and shield is still fast enough to endlessly batter away hordes, which is the important feature that the slower shields can't easily do. However, the axe and shield also gives you powerful armor piercing single target damage which is a feature that no other shield has, so it's good against everything. The weapon just doesn't have any major weakness.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Digirat posted:

Sword and shield/axe and shield have the same charge attack speed as far as I can tell, while mace and shield/hammer and shield are equal but almost twice as slow. So both characters have a good shield and a not so good shield.

If there is a difference between the speed of sword and shield/axe and shield, it's narrow enough that I haven't noticed it and the axe and shield is still fast enough to endlessly batter away hordes, which is the important feature that the slower shields can't easily do. However, the axe and shield also gives you powerful armor piercing single target damage which is a feature that no other shield has, so it's good against everything. The weapon just doesn't have any major weakness.

I don't have numbers at hand so it might be as simple as a feeling or maybe even just the difference in animation makes it clearer to me that I can swing again sooner. It's entirely possible they have the same charged attack speeds and for one reason or another I'm hitting that speed with the sword and shield but not axe and shield.

That said, I'm absolutely with you that the axe and shield is boss as gently caress.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I do have to wonder if these treadmills really do draw more people in/draw them in longer.

Well, l4d2 does have drastically more players than this game does, so I guess not. But then, l4d2 also has unlimited content via the workshop and true dedicated servers, which will always support a game for much longer than any loot treadmill.

It would be easier to ignore this particular loot treadmill if the differently-colored weapons didn't have straight-up better base stats, which still seems like a strange decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Digirat posted:

The other feature of the mace/hammer and shield combos is that they natively have higher knockback listed than the sword/axe and shield. I don't know whether this necessarily helps, since the charge attack seems to suffice, but I should think that it would make a difference for the stagger from pushes and basic LMB attacks. For a long time I was using the mace and shield on Kruber precisely because of this stat, but the speed you can charge attack with sword/axe and shield is absolutely a necessary leg up for using it in Cataclysm.

Shame on all of you for not noting Bardin's clearly superior singing abilities and height that leaves firing lanes open for wizards and elves and hearts swelling with the overture to Hrothi and Balgor at Karaz-a-Karak (barump ba badababump!) while defending choke points. :colbert: But I still prefer Kruber because of his character and fancy hats.

Edit:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

or maybe even just the difference in animation makes it clearer to me that I can swing again sooner.

I have this problem actually with the 2h sword for Kruber. The animations for regular and charged attacks look so god drat alike that I really have a hard time getting a rhythm going. I 'll get three charged swings back to back before the whole thing falls to pieces.

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 8, 2016

• Locked thread