Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Turn 2 Thought-Knot Seer is a bigger deal than the Turn 1 Mimic(s) IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: Frank Lepore is terrible.
truth bomb right here

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I really want to see the list for that extra turns deck, I play what I assume must be a standard legal version of it currently.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Turn 1 Ghost Quarter their Tron Piece and Surgical Extraction is a pretty big deal if you're playing them, which admittedly the builds that made Top 8 weren't really. I did it around turn 2 or 3 in a game last night and ended up Oblivion Sowering myself Tron. That was an interesting game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

That might be less of WotC doesn't want Tron promoted and more of where the hell are they putting lands named after Urza when we've only been going to planes Urza has never been to?

Hey man Dominaria was in Origins! This is also why I was sad to see core sets go- no more reprints of setting-specific stuff unless we go back to that setting. Then again I really want to see "reinterpretations" where they take a card associated with one setting and reprint somewhere else. Like, a Temple Garden/Hallowed Fountain reprint with Church of Avacyn iconography would be hella dope (this does not mean I think it's going to happen in SoI). Conspiracy had a couple of those with Rout and Decimate and I thought they were cool throwbacks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Emerson Cod posted:

Turn 1 Ghost Quarter their Tron Piece and Surgical Extraction is a pretty big deal if you're playing them, which admittedly the builds that made Top 8 weren't really. I did it around turn 2 or 3 in a game last night and ended up Oblivion Sowering myself Tron. That was an interesting game.

Couldn't this also work for Eye as well? I have done that before playing a mirror with WB Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
"I'll just Pyroclasm your 4/4 and then obviously you'll just let me keep Karn / O-Stone and whatever I need to assemble Tron."

Tron seems horrible against Eldrazi, really.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This is precisely why he's the best streamer. I've never seen him even approach tangential salty-ness, even in scenarios where it would be 100% justified. Dude is permanently cheery and laughing about stuff, even horrific beats. My favorite recent moment was him doing some cube videos where his opponent F6'd his T1 so he missed a land drop, and Caleb went ahead and F6'd his own turn so the guy wouldn't be behind, just because "winning this way isn't what making these videos is about".

I saw Caleb stream cube one night where his opponent lost game 1, put Caleb on the play just to see if he'd catch him with the F6 and he did. Caleb was just like "drat, opponent got us with that next level F6 trap play," and proceeded to just be his cheery self and move on. Granted if you watch his stream (and not just CFB videos) he does use profanity more often but it's more just casual stuff that wouldn't be uncommon for a lot of folks anyways. I have never seen him get salty in the face of absolute worst bad beats - like literal opponent has single out and top-decks it - he just takes it on the chin and keeps grinning because he understands like (sadly) too few people that Magic is just a loving game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Finding the Tinker Deck posted:

There are times when something goes terribly wrong and there's nothing you can do about it. There are some decks that are just better than their contemporaries. These decks tend to be chock full of undercosted spells, generally those that generate incredible amounts of card advantage or time advantage, or are able to end the game in a single turn. These decks are The Enigma.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The thought seer gets to take one card. Karn, wurmcoil, and o-stone are played in multiples and ancient stirrings plus all the cantrips will find the pieces. It is a resilient deck. I mean why not compare the ideal draw of one deck to the other if we are going to go with hypothetical situations.

I guess I just don't see what the eldrazi are doing as anymore obscene the rest of modern. Yes turn 2 seer is powerful, but this is true of so many plays in the first few turns of modern. We just saw a griselbrand deck go to the finals in a modern open not too long ago. Afinity can just drop a crainail plating turn 2 which can just end the game. Infect may not even care about losing one card and could just kill you. Turn 3 karn, to turn 4 ulamog/ugin is a thing.

Maybe if anything, modern does just need faster land hate. Stone rain/fulminator mage require waiting till turn 3 which is bad if you are on the play against these decks (and formually amulet bloom).

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean even fast Tron isnt going to beat t1 Eye, Mimic, Mimic t2 temple, though-knot, turn 3 land, reality smasher

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's all about consistency. Unless the decks were some obscenely higher percentage than ever in the history of MTG then having 6 eldrazi decks in the t8 is meaningful. Also if it actually made up 66% or more of the field that would still speak to an issue.

Tin Fins winning is sort of like when Alexander Hayne won with his Miracles deck. It has to run hot. Infect/Bogles are just not consistent enough to be a problem, although I think both decks are very, very close to being so and just being slept on.

Eldrazi may not be wildly ahead of the pack like it showed at this GP but unless there is some mad genius tech waiting to hate it out I don't see it ever being anything but a 50%+ deck.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Its like wizards forgot that "Eldrazi" meant "incomprehensible colossus" and printed a bunch of eldrazi that mean "weird little alien". Errata Temple and Eye to say "legendary Eldrazi", problem solved.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RoE had littledrazi too, they just weren't colorless.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Terrible Horse posted:

Its like wizards forgot that "Eldrazi" meant "incomprehensible colossus" and printed a bunch of eldrazi that mean "weird little alien". Errata Temple and Eye to say "legendary Eldrazi", problem solved.
In the original Rise of the Eldrazi set, all the smaller creatures were colored, so Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple didn't work for them. No discount on your Kozilek's Predator or Dread Drone. But now with Devoid and colorless costs, the small ones actually are colorless, and suddenly a bunch of tools that were meant for the big boys are unlocked for the creatures cheap enough to be scary.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

In the original Rise of the Eldrazi set, all the smaller creatures were colored, so Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple didn't work for them. No discount on your Kozilek's Predator or Dread Drone. But now with Devoid and colorless costs, the small ones actually are colorless, and suddenly a bunch of tools that were meant for the big boys are unlocked for the creatures cheap enough to be scary.

And coincidentally the midrange colorless Eldrazi are pushed as gently caress for constructed play due to Wingding mana, which doesn't actually matter for Temple or Eye.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't care about Modern anyway, so I'm just happy that this set shook up Standard a bit.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eye of Ugin is so busted that I wonder if the Eldrazi decks should consider running Serum Powder, like the Bazaar of Baghdad decks in Vintage.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, I mentioned that before. When the Eldrazi lands were printed, ramping colorless Eldrazi meant casting 10 mana creatures for 8, not 4 mana creatures for 2. Eye of Ugin being able to work on more than one spell per turn would practically be flavor text since meant going Kozilek into Ulamog or something absurd like that, instead of slamming free 2-drops into your turn-two Cliquedrazi.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DRS got banned because it let Jund cast all of its spells with any combination of lands and here we are today :v:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Seems like a good time to bring back DRS then. Also I wonder how these aggro eldrazi decks would do agains the recently deceased twin and amulet decks. I thought the twin matchup wasn't terrible pre-oath, but then I was probably playing more removal and discard then these aggro decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think my issue with the new eldrazi deck is that there isn't any effective hate against it. Land destruction? Too slow. Colorless hate? Doesn't exist.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
In the whole of all top 8's 75s, there are very few colored cards. There are 96 cards with a color identity in the entire top 8 with 44 of them being cast with phyrexian mana. That leaves 52 cards with color identity from regular-rear end mana casting cost, 12 of which were Simian Spirit Guides. Of the 40 that would actually be cast, only 12 are in mainboards (8 Master of Etherium, 2 Thoughtcast, 2 Stubborn Denial).

There were only 21 lands in the top 8 that possessed basic land supertypes. Nine, if you don't count Urborg.

Colorless cards, phyrexian mana costs, and conditional lands seemed to rule the day.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Just print All is Just, which destroys all colorless permanents including lands. Blammo, control is back babay!!!!!

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Bah, hosed with my post but hit quote on it.

In stupid other news: I managed to pin down two siege rhinos with an allies deck on Friday night. It was fun.

keeblerdrow fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 7, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, I forgot about Phyrexian mana in my mana economy treatise.

Getting away from the Eldrazi scourge for a moment, has there been any confirmation by Wizards of getting a "special announcement" during this PT as has been rumored? Irrespective of what that announcement would even be.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah they're going to announce "eat my rear end Oath of the Gatewatch is a good set!!!" before they grab their dick and jump backwards into the end zone

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah they're going to announce "eat my rear end Oath of the Gatewatch is a good set!!!" before they grab their dick and jump backwards into the end zone

This would be way too hamfisted, it's better for the company's contempt for its customers to remain as subtext, imo

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Guess those numbers fit the theme of oath at least, just like last year's had several abzan deck fitting the theme of khans (though yeah that's just them renaming decks).

I suppose control could use better options, as the whole pro tour really was just majority aggro with some combo. General answers instead of specific hate seems like its really needed.

My true hope is that SOI will enable some broken madness deck though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm just amazed that it took this pro tour to finally get people thinking bfz's eldrazi is a terrible fuckup when I've been saying it since the first spoilers XD

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
To be fair, coming after the set that managed to make Standard awful and expensive without changing up any the nonland staples, Oath does feel a lot like the Small Set That Could.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sickening posted:

I think my issue with the new eldrazi deck is that there isn't any effective hate against it. Land destruction? Too slow. Colorless hate? Doesn't exist.

Saffron Olive tweeted that the Eldrazi menace means we either get Eldrazi decks, or Blood Moon/Ensnaring Bridge decks (which is what, UR delver? Lantern Control?)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sickening posted:

Control magic is rough against it - counterspells, land destruction, hand disruption, etc. Getting an explosive start is always great, but if they bank on that turn 1 temple-mimic that you Sea's Claim so they can't Thought-Knot it gets better.

Grixis Control is decent against it, and Jund is pretty ok against it but I don't think we saw any of the T8s go against either of those.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sigma-X posted:

I'm just amazed that it took this pro tour to finally get people thinking bfz's eldrazi is a terrible fuckup when I've been saying it since the first spoilers XD

Apparently you missed the heated war this thread got in when I said I hated BFZs design. Somebody called in their byob friends to call me retarded

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I distinctly remember you saying that they were too powerful and would break modern.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Balon posted:

Control magic is rough against it - counterspells, land destruction, hand disruption, etc. Getting an explosive start is always great, but if they bank on that turn 1 temple-mimic that you Sea's Claim so they can't Thought-Knot it gets better.

Grixis Control is decent against it, and Jund is pretty ok against it but I don't think we saw any of the T8s go against either of those.

Jund especially has so many more points of failure, I don't see control as a very good counter. Every control deck has more points of failure, which is why traditionally control decks have required card advantage through a variety of ways, and filtering of some sort.

It's going to be like Affinity.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I distinctly remember you saying that they were too powerful and would break modern.

Good job making it almost 40% of the way through a single sentence before you hit reply

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I was responding to Sigma-X's attempt at an "I told you so". I don't and never will care about your dumb forum drama.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sorry my dude, I guess you are only interested in a different type where you argue with Sigma-X about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Probably good to let a few more tournaments happen before declaring modern broken.

• Locked thread